Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gay.

Options
  • 24-05-2015 3:10pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be the weekend to tell people. There's not much more (and yet a whole lot more) to say about that. I'm gay.

Coming out has been... unsettling... but this weekend made it a lot (LOT) easier.

Thanks to all the YES supporters of all types.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm glad you feel comfortable being able to tell people. I'm sure that even one person feeling that easing of a burden will be enormously gratifying for everyone who voted yes, even for some who voted no on outside concerns when they still in essence believed gay people should be allowed marry and enjoy committed relationships like everyone else. Good luck and I hope the future brings you great happiness and much love in your private life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Welcome. It seems daft saying that to the co-founder? Owner? of the site but anyway. Welcome.

I don't know who you are, but why do you think any one cares? People is just people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't know who you are, but why do you think any one cares? People is just people

Well, you could say he is somewhat important on Boards... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Just saw this pop up on the "Latest" tab.

Good man DeVore. I hope any weights / burdens you may have carried are gone now.

Enjoy being who you are. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I feel like I should say sorry that it has been unsettling for you, you are human, just like me and it shouldn't ever have been this way. Hoping things get easier for you, even just a little bit. Live, love, give.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know it shouldn't be a big thing, but I know it is. Guess we'll have to adjust the coke and hookers order slightly. 😀Been reading online about so many other people, even kids, standing up against homophobia. I guess Ireland was ready for it. Just needed something big (and fabulous) to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hahaha, that's mad. I've met you, would never have known you were batting the other way. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Good for you :) I hope this helps boards being a place where everyone feels welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Hopefully the huge support shown by all kinds of people in every part of the country will allow more people to feel comfortable and confident in coming out to family and friends, young and old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well done, and thank you. Coming out can be difficult, great respect for your choice to do so here, wishing you all of the comfort and happiness - all of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You shouldn't ever have been in a position where you felt unsettled. I'm sorry you felt like that.

Fair play to you for openly sharing on boards. It's an anonymous site, so it may be easier for some to come out on boards, but you're not an anonymous user, so it must have been more difficult for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I think the ability to get married was an important result of the referendum, but of even greater significance is for our fellow Irish people of all sexual persuasions to feel comfortable about fully expressing themselves.

The large majority of heterosexual people that took the time and effort to vote shows we care.

In the short term I hope more people feel at ease enough to come out, but an even greater day will be when expressing one's sexuality has a similar effect to them saying, yeah, I prefer Classical rather than modern art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

DeVore is a top man. His contributions to boards and many other worthy endeavours speak for themselves. So many of us here do care a lot.

However, I do kind of see where you are coming from. I want to live in a world where equality is a given and universally practiced as such, and we don't need to care because all is good. That's not the case and won't be for the foreseeable future with plenty of inequality still in the world and while that's the situation, we have to care, to the point of it being our duty imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

DeVore wrote: »
    Seems to be the weekend to tell people. There's not much more (and yet a whole lot more) to say about that. I'm gay.

Coming out has been... unsettling... but this weekend made it a lot (LOT) easier.

Perhaps too personal a question to ask so feel free to ignore but when did you realise? Did you always know or is it a recent revelation? Was the problem you had with coming out purely based on how you thought it would be perceived by family and friends etc? How has the reaction been so far?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

:)

Congratulations.

*manly hug* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Not surprised. Boards.ie mods/admins invented gayness :p

Lets be honest there's still a very long way to go. 37.9% of the population voted No on Friday. I suspect the majority of these were the elderly who voted No because their faith/local priest told them to vote No or people who bought in to whole Mothers and Fathers matters/Iona. That's expected but we have to acknowledge that a small percentage of these people who voted No are homophobic and I do worry that these bitter hateful people will become more extreme with their views.

Yesterdays result is just the start. Hopefully more people will now have the confidence to come out and in 10-15 years homophobia will not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

tricky D wrote: »
    DeVore is a top man.....

Maybe we could get together some time.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not sure if it your first time coming out full stop or just online. Either way congrats on your new found acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

DeVore wrote: »

I'm sorry you felt that way. No one should feel unsettled about their sexuality.

Congrats on coming out. I imagine it is a huge weight off your shoulders.

I wish you all the best :) x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm sorry this is still a world where you had to feel unsettled while coming to terms with this part of who you are. But glad things have gotten better this week.
    Chris___ wrote: »
    Lets be honest there's still a very long way to go. 37.9% of the population voted No on Friday.

Actually 37.9% of 60% of the electorate voted no. Only 16% of the population did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Good stuff outta you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

best of luck op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

iguana wrote: »
    I'm sorry this is still a world where you had to feel unsettled while coming to terms with this part of who you are. But glad things have gotten better this week.

Actually 37.9% of 60% of the electorate voted no. Only 16% of the population did.

That's what I meant. When you add in the number who didn't vote, non registered or the non Irish and its probably closer to 30%

Very concerning post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95612737&postcount=1116

What I'm saying is we need to legislate now to prevent nut jobs/trouble makers standing outside wedding venues with signs like "God hates fags" like what's happening state side.

28540ED700000578-3068566-image-a-3_1430824662531.jpg

Isn't that the Jesus guy from Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

It feels rather humbling that you chose to share this with us.

I hope you are very very happy in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Congratulations, it's wonderful to see the power of this vote, it's far more than just the right to marry. All the best for your future xx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chris___ wrote: »
    What I'm saying is we need to legislate now to prevent nut jobs/trouble makers standing outside wedding venues with signs like "God hates fags" like what's happening state side.

We already have this legislation. Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989. We were fairly far ahead of the curve in the western world with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Roscommon Leitrim

Yes. Yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Congratulations man.

Side-note:My gaydar is just awful.

I called Leo Vradkar, but missed Ricky Martin, Ursula Hannigan and now DeVore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Congrats, must be a relief getting that out. This weekend we took a giant leap towards nobody needing to feel relief at coming out, we're not quite there yet but one day hopefully we will.

Advertisement