Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Ulster need to develop an 8 badly now. Dow or that lad Mulholland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Some amount of money knocking around Ravenspan these days!

The rest of us can only dream of having these signings. Fantastic acquisition and precisely what was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Very exciting to see such signings being made. Thinking of the wilderness years it certainly gives you re-newer hope.

Has anyone paused to reminisce about how nice a back row including Coetzee and Ferris would have been?

God I miss Ferris.

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So this summer we've signed Charles Piutau and Marcell Coetzee.

Best summer transfers ever? :D

You couldn't annoy me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Brilliant signing. He'll be 25 when he arrives so he'll be arriving at a prime age.

• Advertisement

awec wrote:

Challenge accepted.

awec wrote: »
    So this summer we've signed Charles Piutau and Marcell Coetzee.

Best summer transfers ever? :D

In other news, Brendan Venter joins as head coach and Kingspan Stadium will be renamed Saracens Wolfpack Park.

First decision is to terminate Craig Gilroy based on his completely one dimensional play and gaping holes in his abilities.

• Administrators Posts: 53,429 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    Some amount of money knocking around Ravenspan these days!

The rest of us can only dream of having these signings. Fantastic acquisition and precisely what was needed.

Damn right.

Lots of young SH players grow up wanting to play for the famous red hand. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    COATZEE THREE YEAR DEAL!!!

Get the f*%# in!

• Advertisement

Who ever thought the words 'Pienaar... Coetzee crashing up, offload to Piutau... passes to Humphreys in space' all spouted by Gusher about a match at Ravenhill?

NIQs, NIQs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

rsh118 wrote: »
    Who ever thought the words 'Pienaar... Coetzee crashing up, offload to Piutau... passes to Humphreys in space' all spouted by Gusher about a match at Ravenhill?

Hopefully we'll never hear that as it means IH is on the pitch :pac:

Scythica wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll never hear that as it means IH is on the pitch :pac:

In fairness that passage of play ends with Humphreys lobbing it into touch, but still enough to get excited about!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Plus he is already better than Heaslip due to his versatility :pac:

All seriousness, looks like a CRACKING signing

Ulster XV for next season

15 Jared Payne
    14 Andrew Trimble
    13 Stuart Olding
    12 Stuart McCloskey
    11 Charles Piutau
    10 Paddy Jackson
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    1 Kyle McCall
    2 Rory Best
    3 Wiebhan Herbst
    4 Franco Van Der Merwe
    5 Iain Henderson (sorry awec)
    6 Marcell Coetzee
    7 Chris Henry
    8 The final piece in the puzzle

16 Rob Herring
    17 Andrew Warwick
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Alan O'Connor
    20 Robbie Diack
    21 Paul Marshall
    22 Luke Marshall
    23 Tommy Bowe

I'm not being funny, but if we have pulled off a signing like Conan or Murphy we will be a SERIOUS force next season. Just need to stay clear of too many injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Isn't Coetzee more of an openside?

Could we see Chris Henry playing more at number eight next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

was thinking that also, he does make ground and has been doing a fair bit of carrying when playing tight

Isn't Coetzee more of an openside?

More of an openside yes (obviously the Saffers play 6 and 7 the opposite way) but he can play BS as well. He has the power for it anyway. I suspect it won't matter what shirt Henry and Coetzee wear. It will be interesting to see the impact on Henry's Ireland's chances but with Stander, the form of TOD and the emergence of JVDF his time may be running out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

"He has played most of his international rugby between 6 and 7, but he has also played a huge amount at number 8, where we feel he could have a big impact for Ulster. That versatility is absolutely vital for us, as not only can Marcell be hugely effective across the three positions, but this can also accommodate the development of a number of our home-grown Irish-qualified players."

^ Kiss on it. Sounds like he may be a primary 8.

Diack or AoC (depending who we're playing) into the row, Henderson to 6, Coetz to 8.

That is a gorgeous 6-15 for next year.

Possibly, more likely Diack. It will be interesting to see if we have signed a back row from Leinster and who it is.

I still think we could lose a back to Leinster though. I wouldn't want to see it because he is such a classy player but I could see Payne moving to Leinster. Hope not but we do seem to be getting a bit of leeway with the NIQs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Henderson is playing in the 2nd Row for Ireland he'll be playing in the 2nd row for Ulster, make no mistake about it. He needs to be scrummaging regularly to fulfil the prophecy.

Interesting. Hadn't read those comments. That would tie in with the Dom Ryan rumours as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Plus he is already better than Heaslip due to his versatility :pac:

All seriousness, looks like a CRACKING signing

Speaking of Heaslip... is that him in the first clip?

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/697750856578498560

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

rsh118 wrote: »

You could probably hear it this season seeing a Jim dosent have a Fing clue when it comes to names. Well unless he knows your Da or you played schools cup once. Even then he will prob call you Williams if your Jackson. Most useless Commentator ever.

Sorry I had to edit this again as I am just even more enraged now thinking about him. God sake. And don't get me started on the studio "personalities" more crack in a Ulster Press Conference.

$ausage$ wrote: »
    You could probably hear it this season seeing a Jim dosent have a Fing clue when it comes to names. Well unless he knows your Da or you played schools cup once. Even then he will prob call you Williams if your Jackson. Most useless Commentator ever.

Yeah, or that he put in a lovely turn as an outhalf in a schools cup QF for methody, while Gusher was chatting to his mum on the sidelines. Could spiral a concrete box. Usually a comment reserved for forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Maybe see this in Ollies some night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLq1oWqItkI

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Speaking of Heaslip... is that him in the first clip?

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/697750856578498560

Yeah it is, I think Roger Wilson helped on shot selection for that clip:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Superb.

With Treadwell as well you'd think Hendo will spend a good amount of time at 6 (which I likely a lot) when everyone's fit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement