Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    I know the needs of the team come first but I think Olding is wasted at 10.
    He's a makeshift 10 at best. Every time I see him play I want him in the 13 channel. It just looks the natural place for him. Let's face it, McCloskey is Ulster's 12. Olding looks too good to have hanging around for anyone else. I'd play him on the wing before I'd play him at 10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not a regular 10 but if Jackson is away and the alternative is iHumph surely Olding at 10 isn't the worst idea? Depends on who is available at 12/13 too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Meyer cited for his "involvement" with Olding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

jacothelad wrote:
    He's a makeshift 10 at best. Every time I see him play I want him in the 13 channel. It just looks the natural place for him. Let's face it, McCloskey is Ulster's 12. Olding looks too good to have hanging around for anyone else. I'd play him on the wing before I'd play him at 10.

Cannot agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not a regular 10 but if Jackson is away and the alternative is iHumph surely Olding at 10 isn't the worst idea? Depends on who is available at 12/13 too I suppose.

You need more than someone filling in. 10 is a vital position and you need a viable alternative to start there. Also when Jackson is away Olding is likely to also be away.

Ulster need to either develop a new 10 sharpish or sign one. Unfortunately their attempts to sign one in recent years have often failed

• Advertisement

You need more than someone filling in. 10 is a vital position and you need a viable alternative to start there. Also when Jackson is away Olding is likely to also be away.

Ulster need to either develop a new 10 sharpish or sign one. Unfortunately their attempts to sign one in recent years have often failed

I'm not talking long term though, I mean literally just this weekend. I'd agree Ulster need a permanent back up to Jackson but he's not going to appear this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

thought was pretty poor form of Against The Head to not even mention Ulster going top of the Pro 12 tonight..

Nelson was coming on well but out until next season now with injury.
    Hopefully with the recent time on pitch Humph can improve but it's not been very promising yet.

wp_rathead wrote:
    thought was pretty poor form of Against The Head to not even mention Ulster going top of the Pro 12 tonight..

Nothing new. We're not really in the main RTE audience to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

wp_rathead wrote: »

RTE has blocked Against the head from being shown in NI it would seem. (Wouldn't let me watch it)

So if most of Ulster can't even watch the programme then why bother mentioning us. :(

Really gutted I can watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think that's due to licencing laws.

I know when I lived up there you couldn't watch Champions League soccer games on RTE up there as they were blocked out.

This was the first year I've seen RTE's 6N coverage blocked up here. Both on Sky and freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah really annoying that we can't see ATH. I had all set to record last night and nothing...

That's a bit ridiculous. Can you get it on the international RTÉ player?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I suppose that's down to ITV / UTV.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pocock taking a year out to study?

Ulster should be on the phone to QUB asap :D

GUINNESS PRO12 ROUND 18-22 FIXTURES

Round 18: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster
    Friday 25th Match, 7.35pm, Scotstoun Stadium, BBC NI / BBC ALBA / TG4

Round 19: Ulster v Connacht
    Friday 1st April, 7.35pm, Kingspan Stadium, BBC NI / TG4

Round 20: Zebre v Ulster
    Saturday 16th April, 4.00pm Italian time / 3.00pm GMT, Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, BBC NI / RAI

Round 21: Ulster v Leinster
    Saturday 30th April, 3.00pm, Kingspan Stadium, Sky Sports

Round 22: Ospreys v Ulster
    Saturday 7th May, 3.00pm, Liberty Stadium, Broadcaster TBC

That's a bit ridiculous. Can you get it on the international RTÉ player?

Doesn't appear in the RTE player app :-(

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Pocock taking a year out to study?

Ulster should be on the phone to QUB asap :D

Apparently he wants to study at Oxford or Cambridge. Isn't Jamie Roberts at one of them? Imagine the varsity match with the pair of them lining out together!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dominic Ryan and Marcell Coetzee, lucky Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Henry back for glasgow it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

bilston wrote: »

Fantastic if its true!!

But I'll await the 0930 retraction of the story :p

Like that news.

Now that's a signing to moisten your loins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

awec wrote: »
    Now that's a signing to moisten your loins...

Definitely. It would be awesome and would be a real statement of intent, might also show a bit of loosening of the IRFU policy and the provincial purse strings BUT:

a) IRFU policy - this would make it 4+2 next season. I have my doubts about Piutau's arrival so maybe it's only 3+2 which is probably OK.

b) Coetzee is an international. The concerns about Moore playing for Australia were a factor in IRFU vetoing his deal with Munster, surely they apply here also?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Definitely. It would be awesome and would be a real statement of intent, might also show a bit of loosening of the IRFU policy and the provincial purse strings BUT:

a) IRFU policy - this would make it 4+2 next season. I have my doubts about Piutau's arrival so maybe it's only 3+2 which is probably OK.

b) Coetzee is an international. The concerns about Moore playing for Australia were a factor in IRFU vetoing his deal with Munster, surely they apply here also?

If Piutau contract is being bought out by his new club next season the money is being used to buy out this guys contract.

• Advertisement

If Piutau contract is being bought out by his new club next season the money is being used to buy out this guys contract.

Wouldn't be surprised by that at all. As much as I would live to see Piutau at Ulster, if it came down to a choice between Coetzee on a 3 year deal or Piutau on a 2 yr deal then it is a no brainer...albeit as FT says Coetzee would still be playing for SA. While we have managed it reasonably well with Pienaar, being a test scrum half and being a test flanker are a bit different on thenold physical stakes.

Obviously it would be great to get both Piutau and Coetzee!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement