Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I still believe we'll see both.

I Think this is beyond the stage of irfu approval now, sounds like deal is done. Is they had vetoed this I'd have led the march on d4 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Definitely. It would be awesome and would be a real statement of intent, might also show a bit of loosening of the IRFU policy and the provincial purse strings BUT:

a) IRFU policy - this would make it 4+2 next season. I have my doubts about Piutau's arrival so maybe it's only 3+2 which is probably OK.

b) Coetzee is an international. The concerns about Moore playing for Australia were a factor in IRFU vetoing his deal with Munster, surely they apply here also?

I thought Moore was veteod because he'd be stalling the careers of Casey, Sherry and Scannell?

awec wrote: »
    I still believe we'll see both.

And to be fair there is nothing public at all to suggest we won't get Piutau. In fact didn't Kiss name check him recently?

bilston wrote: »
    And to be fair there is nothing public at all to suggest we won't get Piutau. In fact didn't Kiss name check him recently?

He did. Ulster are just finally being allowed to unlock the war chest it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is Coetzee a 6 or a 7?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Is Coetzee a 6 or a 7?

played 6 against ireland in november 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

So who's going to play 8 next season? Maybe Murphy rather than Ryan will be the Leinster back row arriving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

bilston wrote: »
    I thought Moore was veteod because he'd be stalling the careers of Casey, Sherry and Scannell?

Apparently the fact that he wanted to continue playing for Australia (and can now do so under Cheika's new policy) and could be missing for large chunks of the season was the reason the IRFU refused to sanction the amount of money that Munster wanted to pay him.

Allegedly, obviously. And none of the guys mentioned above are on the international radar at all so I'd hope it wasn't that...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

aimee1 wrote: »
    played 6 against ireland in november 2014
    Does that mean he plays open side in South Africa? It seems sometimes there open side wears 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Does that mean he plays open side in South Africa? It seems sometimes there open side wears 6!

Yeah he plays openside.

In SA the 6 is the openside and 7 is the blindside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Yeah he plays openside.

In SA the 6 is the openside and 7 is the blindside.

It's actually because South Africa is at the bottom of the world so the numbers look like they're upside down. He plays 9. The blindsides are wearing the number L for "legend". Pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The word on another forum from a poster In The Know is that the IRFU are allowing Ludik to stay and become IQ because, post Felix Jones' retirement, they are actually concerned about the number and quality of IQ fullbacks.

At the provinces we have Kearney (first choice), Payne (first choice international 13 so won't play at FB), Henshaw (first choice international 12 so won't play at FB), Conway (not involved in Irish set-up, arguably not international level), TOH (inexperienced and not currently involved in the Irish set-up), Zebo (not getting drawn into the debate about Sunday's performance), Gilroy (not international level at FB), Olding (just back from injury, may be a centre anyway). Next season we will have Kirchner, Nacewa and Piutau (all NIQ). So the IRFU are happy enough that Ludik stay as he might be a "break glass in case of emergency" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What are Ulster going to do for an 8?. If you got Conan instead of Ryan you would have a back row of Conan, Henderson and Coetzee. That would be some size but can't see Conan going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

So pleased with this news! He's such a great player! Still need an 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

So pleased with this news! He's such a great player! Still need an 8 though.

I would be concerned that the news has 'leaked' out or has simply been speculation on the part of the Indo. It seems that whoever was signing wanted the news to be held back and premature release of the info would end the deal.

jacothelad wrote: »
    I would be concerned that the news has 'leaked' out or has simply been speculation on the part of the Indo. It seems that whoever was signing wanted the news to be held back and premature release of the info would end the deal.

Yeah, but these things always leak. Didn't Pienaar's move leak before he signed on the dotted line against his wishes.

IF this is even true let's hope he is realistic about how the media works.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

"Big news" coming at 11am, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Did any Stand Up members actually get to see any priority tickets show up at 10am? Been looking for Leinster match tickets, but nothing showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wannenburg re-signed on two year deal.

Buer wrote: »
    Wannenburg re-signed on two year deal.

Wait, what??

Re-signed for Ulster?

• Advertisement

Wait, what??

Re-signed for Ulster?

Unless Wannenburg is an alternative spelling of "Dominic Ryan"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Unless Wannenburg is an alternative spelling of "Dominic Ryan"

Let me have my fun, you monster.

COATZEE THREE YEAR DEAL!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oh yea!

borat-dancing.gifborat-dancing.gifborat-dancing.gifborat-dancing.gifborat-dancing.gifborat-dancing.gif

Jaysus.

Irish Independent in accurate information shocker.

Jaysus.

Irish Independent in accurate information shocker.

I think they had the Marty Moore shcoop as well didn't they?

Well unfortunately for Ulster fans it wasn't the news they're all waiting for, but Coetzee is alright as well I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Well that's just fantastic news!!

Now, who else can we get?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

You mean Wannenberg isn't coming home? :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jacothelad

"Big news" coming at 11am, apparently.
    Ulster Rugby is delighted to confirm the signing of South Africa international back row player, Marcell Coetzee, on a three-year contract.
    The 24-year-old has been capped by the Springboks on 28 occasions after making his test debut, against England, in June 2012. He has scored six tries for his country.

He will move to Kingspan Stadium in the summer, following the conclusion of the 2016 Super Rugby season, during which he will represent the Sharks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement