Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need for Speed (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Was looking forward to playing this. Think I'll avoid it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Niallfitz1

How easy is it to earn rp and cash ect in the game do u know

• Registered Users Posts: 27 acemaster

Yeah that camera's a load of sh!t

can change camera settings or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Played it on the Beta and really enjoyed it despite the AI.

Customisation and online is where this game will shine, not racing AI bots.

I thought it was to be released on the 3rd but everywhere seems to have it listed as the 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Called it! I said it should get around the 6 mark :P

8 and 8.3 from gamespot and gametrailers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

8 and 8.3 from gamespot and gametrailers :eek:

Just watched Gametrailers review. I dont understand that review at all. No mentioning of handling or AI at all. Funny thing is, you can see in footage how reviewer ( or just player ) strugling with controls constantly and hitting everything.
    I really laughed when he was going on one of those motorway tight exits. Every time I would slam walls going in to it and the footage was exactly same. :)

Cant watch IGN review, does not buffer properly for some reason.

Hi I'm just playing need for speed and I need a crew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Niallfitz1 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just playing need for speed and I need a crew

How are you playing it if its only being released tomorrow??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I seen a couple of copies in cex earlier today. Seem people got it and traded it back in already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

ION08 wrote: »
    How are you playing it if its only being released tomorrow??

Friend that works for ea ;)

I seen a couple of copies in cex earlier today. Seem people got it and traded it back in already

That is crazy. I'm gonna hold off til it goes cheaper. It looks like they the rubberband ai might still be getting worked on as EA said that and 'mirror wrapping' decals would be added but saw yesterday the wrapping will be in the next update. Must not have had time to implement gameplay updates between beta and launch.

Mad to play it though, even downloaded the Crew demo today to get a small fix. Uninstalled it after the first mission. Horrible driving mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    That is crazy. I'm gonna hold off til it goes cheaper. It looks like they the rubberband ai might still be getting worked on as EA said that and 'mirror wrapping' decals would be added but saw yesterday the wrapping will be in the next update. Must not have had time to implement gameplay updates between beta and launch.

Mad to play it though, even downloaded the Crew demo today to get a small fix. Uninstalled it after the first mission. Horrible driving mechanic.

It was 70 quid to buy. For a second hand copy that's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

I finished my 10 hour trial there, havta say I enjoyed it but it does have a lot of faults, particularly with the AI.

The rubber-banding is probably the worst or most obvious I've ever seen in a game. It doesn't ruin the game, it just means that you'll rarely get a real sense of accomplishment in winning a circuit race or sprint race. You could drive a near-flawless race and the AI is still going to be just behind, waiting to pounce on a mistake at the last turn or, alternatively, you could balls up big early and still have a chance to come back. The reason this isn't a deal-breaker is these races only compromise like 25% of the events, the drifting is a major part of the game and fun enough. So if you're all about realism and great racing, get a proper simulator.

My other biggest gripe is, seeing as it's 'always online', you can't pause the game and there's no option, so far as I can tell, to restart mid-race. In a racing game, this seems absolutely insane! If you hit start to bring up the map or whatever, your car will just continue until it rolls to a stop or, more likely, slams into a wall.

In terms of what it does good, it think it looks good, particularly modifying your car in the garage. While the car list is thin compared to other games, you'll find something you like and the customization itself is nice and deep for this kind of game. The settings that let you turn your car into a drift machine or a street racer works well. I actually liked the live-action cutscenes. They're never too long, you get a decent sense of the characters and it brings a bit of life to these kind of games when it's so often just a faceless voice telling you where your next race is.

TL;DR - If you liked Need for Speed Underground back in the day, you'll probably like this. If you've never liked NFS, stick to Forza/Gran Turismo/Project Cars/Asetto Corsa

Anyone on line and what's ur psn

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

B_Sharp wrote: »
    I finished my 10 hour trial there, havta say I enjoyed it but it does have a lot of faults, particularly with the AI.

The rubber-banding is probably the worst or most obvious I've ever seen in a game. It doesn't ruin the game, it just means that you'll rarely get a real sense of accomplishment in winning a circuit race or sprint race. You could drive a near-flawless race and the AI is still going to be just behind, waiting to pounce on a mistake at the last turn or, alternatively, you could balls up big early and still have a chance to come back. The reason this isn't a deal-breaker is these races only compromise like 25% of the events, the drifting is a major part of the game and fun enough. So if you're all about realism and great racing, get a proper simulator.

My other biggest gripe is, seeing as it's 'always online', you can't pause the game and there's no option, so far as I can tell, to restart mid-race. In a racing game, this seems absolutely insane! If you hit start to bring up the map or whatever, your car will just continue until it rolls to a stop or, more likely, slams into a wall.

In terms of what it does good, it think it looks good, particularly modifying your car in the garage. While the car list is thin compared to other games, you'll find something you like and the customization itself is nice and deep for this kind of game. The settings that let you turn your car into a drift machine or a street racer works well. I actually liked the live-action cutscenes. They're never too long, you get a decent sense of the characters and it brings a bit of life to these kind of games when it's so often just a faceless voice telling you where your next race is.

TL;DR - If you liked Need for Speed Underground back in the day, you'll probably like this. If you've never liked NFS, stick to Forza/Gran Turismo/Project Cars/Asetto Corsa

I loved nfs underground, underground 2, most wanted, rivals. I love forza series too. And I completely hated new need for Speed.
    Customisation is class, but I sow in reviews that you can't customise any high end cars like ferrari f40, can't even change wheels.
    My biggest gripe is still Ai and controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

I loved nfs underground, underground 2, most wanted, rivals. I love forza series too. And I completely hated new need for Speed.
    Customisation is class, but I sow in reviews that you can't customise any high end cars like ferrari f40, can't even change wheels.
    My biggest gripe is still Ai and controls.

Fair enough, I made a bit of a generalisation alright. For anyone who wants a blend of arcade and simulation, and has an Xbox One, Forza Horizon 2 absolutely nails it. Can't recommend it highly enough for those who haven't played it.

I saw that about the F40 in the IGN review alright, it's bizarre. I'm sure it's Ferrari themselves stipulating to EA that their cars can't be customised, they seem very protective of stuff like that, but it's annoying that the most expensive car in a car customisation game can't be customised!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am enjoying this game.. I don't get why every review complains about the handling, once you spend 5 minutes setting up your car in the garage you can have it handle whatever way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anyone find the handling in this game a bit stiff or not as responsive as past NFS games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The handling is definitely something that needs to be at least clarified in the tuning menu. I get the majority of it, but some of it is in mechanic speak. Once you get your head around the settings, the handling gets better.

The rubberbanding is still very obvious, and it kinda ruins some game modes, but you get used to it. As far as I can tell anyway you'll always have the more powerful car.

The modification is awesome, but in the 4 cars I've got (Civic, Evo, 180sx and cam), the options are very limited. There's either little choice or nothing at all for most. And couple that with not being able to modify the higher end cars, and the whole modification side of it takes a fall.

The two bits of high praise I have are for the sound and the cut scenes. The cut scenes are actually enjoyable, and the way they get your car to appear in them was very well done.

The sound, especially from the cars, is amazing. It's the closest I've ever heard a cam sounding like a cam in real life. And with each addition you can hear the difference, ie: different exhausts, engine blocks, turbo/super, etc. Very well done, and a mention to the turbo sounds, they're spot on.

And I'll have to mention the drifting, as now that I've got the hang of it, it's quite enjoyable to pull off an epic downhill touge!

Other than that, it's a mediocre game, one which I'd imagine most time will be spent just messing about. The challenge any player part is alright, but you never know what you're tackling, so it's hard to get a fair race.

With a few patches (rubberbanding, steering controls to be simplified) and a few additions (more "boy racer" cars, more modification options for every car, the ability to copy decals from one side to the other, a grid for decals), this could be a very good game.

With a few patches (rubberbanding, steering controls to be simplified) and a few additions (more "boy racer" cars, more modification options for every car, the ability to copy decals from one side to the other, a grid for decals), this could be a very good game.

Patch out Thursday looks to be fixing and adding a good few things. So glad I waited on this, will pick it up cheap (hopefully) after Christmas and should be gettinga proper version of the game itself. Fixing Rubberbanding, adding mirrored decals and neon.
    First up, let’s get the important bit out of the way, the release date. We’re currently putting the final touches together on the update and are aiming for it to be live on November 25th.
    So, let’s move onto the content!

AI Catch UP
    One of the key things you have told us since launch was in regards to the balance of the AI Catch Up system. We’ve been reading all of your feedback on this, watching your videos and tuning in to your live streams. With all this feedback in mind we have made changes to the AI behavior which should improve your overall experience.

Community Events
    When the update arrives one of the first things you may notice is the new tile on the main menu screen. Located in the bottom left hand corner this tile will be giving you information about any community events that are running, or due to run.
    So what’s a community event? We’ve got three types of events that we’ll be running throughout the coming months, each one offering something a little different.
    • Bonus cash events will grant an increase in money
    • Discounts events will offer discounts on various in game items
    • Bonus REP events will reward you with more REP
    The first event starts tomorrow, titled Performance Matters and will offer a 40% discount on all performance upgrades. The perfect time to go upgrade your new ride!

Icon Cars
    If you’ve already begun your journey through Ventura Bay, you may have got your hands on Nakai-san’s Porsche or the 277 of Magnus Walker. In the next update Ken Block’s Hoonicorn and Morohoshi’ Lamborghini Diablo SV will also be able to be obtained. If you’ve already completed their respective missions the cars will be waiting in the garage for you to purchase, at no cost.

Neon Lights
    With the Lamborghini Diablo SV or Morohoshi-San being included we thought this would be the perfect opportunity for you to take an early, in development look at neons. They will be applied to Morohoshi’s car only and here’s a taster of what you can expect.

nfs.gif

Color Picker 2.0
    When coloring your car, your rims, or decals you will now be presented with a new color picker. This will feature recent colors, pre-set colors, recent materials, pre-set materials, and numerical values on the color sliders so you can be much more precise when selecting a color or material. Improved functionality around working with colors was one of the big bits of feedback we received in terms of the wrap editor and we’re pleased to be bringing this improved functionality to you all.

Mirror Decal
    There was resounding feedback from the community during the closed beta and through launch that this was important. Which is why we’ve decided to add it in! When accessing the layers screen there will now be a button prompt that allows you to send any layer from the left side of the car to the right (and vice versa). This works on both the side panels of the car, and side windows.

REP Increase
    Reputation (REP) is there for the taking and those heading onto the streets of Ventura Bay will now find themselves with even more REP to earn. The REP limit will be increased from 50 to 60.

Daily Challenges
    Included in the update will be a host of new Daily Challenges, with an eye on balancing the types of events with less focus on Outlaw. Once the update arrives, you will start to see new challenges appearing.

New Trophies and Achievements
    There will be three new trophies and achievements for you to earn:
    Fanboi – Put any of the new icon cars in your garage
    Iconoclast – Win and event with each of the new icon cars
    Mental Unblock – Get 350,000 Drift Score in Mental Block using Ken’s Car

Pre-Set Wraps
    We are expanding on the number of off-the-shelf wraps that are ready for you to use. In total we’ll be included thirty new wraps, ready for you to use across a variety of cars.

General bugs, tweaks and improvements
    A number of bugs have been fixed. We’ve tweaked things and made adjustments in other areas such as the AI catch-up.

Community Survey
    Feedback from our players continues to be important to us, and moving forward surveys are just one way we’ll be looking to utilize to gather your thoughts. The first of which will be sent out in the coming days, so if you have played Need for Speed since launch be sure to keep an eye on your inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Should hopefully be getting this during the week. I was a big fan of Underground 1 and 2 so the return to the streets is welcomed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

The sound, especially from the cars, is amazing. It's the closest I've ever heard a cam sounding like a cam in real life. And with each addition you can hear the difference, ie: different exhausts, engine blocks, turbo/super, etc. Very well done, and a mention to the turbo sounds, they're spot on.

Sounds pretty decent alright:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That video doesn't really do it justice. And during his exhaust testing, he didn't mention about engine modification, and this does make a difference to the sound, more so than you can hear in that video.

Delighted with the update, hopefully will get me back to it to finish it! BlOps 3 is taking all my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Tried to do a Sprint race there against Magnus and because there was a real life player parked next to the event it put him in to the race with me instead of Magnus even though Magnus was speaking to me as the race loaded, I had to clear it 3 times for it to pass me.
    Then tried a Gymkhana with Ken Block target score was 135,000 I finished on somewhere close to 200,000 only for the a message to pop up saying I've failed and Ken ringing me to try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Just have a few races banged out, picked the Civic from the start to keep it Paddy spec :D a few things I've noticed:

Very surprised at no manual option. Granted it's not meant to be a simulator, but previous NFS's have had the option, pretty basic stuff. I've heard you can disable the dynamic angles when you're drifting but I haven't found out how yet.

Pretty happy overall. Any plans for a Boards crew? :)

From the beta, there were 2 rear cam angles that looked the same but one has the drift cam and the other doesn't. Try changing the camera to the other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Just bought the game on the ps there now. Was only 44e :D

• Advertisement

Huge update released today

http://www.needforspeed.com/en_GB/news/under-the-hood-3?sf42640650=1

Eddie from Underground is back with new challenges
    Full Patch Notes
    • Brand new progression thread unlocked at Rep Level 25. Eddie and Melissa are back and ready for a new challenge in Ventura Bay. 15 new events with a great reward at the end
    • Unlock Eddies Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (1999)
    • 12 new Donor car collectables hidden around Ventura Bay
    • 10 Urbex spots – Collect interesting spots around Ventura Bay
    • 113 New customisation items for a selection of cars
    • New screens in My NFS to track new collectables and progression
    • Rep Level has now been increased to 70, each level unlocking new decals for the Wrap editor
    • 3 New Achievements & Trophies
    • New Daily Challenges and new rewards
    • Hundreds of new decals so you can make your favourite Need for Speed cars
    • 20+ Pre-set Wraps from Most Wanted, Underground and Pro Street
    • A selection of new music tracks to remind you of the old days
    • Ability to mute new phone calls
    • Phone call improvements
    • You can now customize brake discs and calipers!
    • Improvements to AI
    • Various bug fixes and stability improvements

Advertisement