Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity officer in UK - "Women of colour can't be racist or sexist"

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Jester252 wrote: »

Se deserves to

But she added the uses of hashtags such as "kill all white men" on her personal account were "in-jokes and ways that many people in the queer feminist community express ourselves".

"It's a way of reclaiming the power from the trauma many of us experience as queers, women, people of colour, who are on the receiving end of racism, misogyny and homophobia daily," she added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....what fuckin colour is she supposed to be, because she wouldn't stand out in a crowd here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

She's a headcase, pure and simple.

Diversification is a positive thing, particularly when it comes to LGBTQ issues, so I understand them trying to encourage it.

That nutjob needs to go though, she's being counter productive to the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

She's a headcase, pure and simple.

Diversification is a positive thing, particularly when it comes to LGBTQ issues, so I understand them trying to encourage it.

That nutjob needs to go though, she's being counter productive to the cause.

Exactly.she is a nutcase. Her stupidity will harm the people suffering real prejudice and racism. The whole thing seems like a big game to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

She is on pretty weak ground pretending she isn't white but claiming she is disabled?

'She is also accused of oppressing the voices of disabled people during a recent occupation - something she, "as a disabled woman", denies.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Lemming wrote: »
    Regards Bahar Mustaphar, if you have done any additional reading on this "fine upstanding" citizen, you'll note that she has espoused such charming hate-speech as #killallmen, #killallwhitemen, and a few other equally sexist and/or racist comments.
    Ew, headcase.

I do wonder how the systematic victimisation of various groups is supposed to benefit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

bjork wrote: »
    Se deserves to

But she added the uses of hashtags such as "kill all white men" on her personal account were "in-jokes and ways that many people in the queer feminist community express ourselves".

"It's a way of reclaiming the power from the trauma many of us experience as queers, women, people of colour, who are on the receiving end of racism, misogyny and homophobia daily," she added.

If she limits herself to people whiter than she is, then the only people in her firing line are going to Eskimos and Albinos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nodin wrote: »
    ....what fuckin colour is she supposed to be, because she wouldn't stand out in a crowd here.

She thinks she's brown because she was born in turkey..despite having pale skin blue eyes and sandy hair lol

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Nodin wrote: »
    My family's from the boglands as far back as I can trace them and I've come back more ethnic than her after ten days in Ibiza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

“I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist towards white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.

And therefore women of colour and minority genders cannot be racist or sexist because we do not stand to benefit from such a system.”

Replace the term "minority" with "Proletariat" and replace "white men" with "Bourgeoisie" and then you'll see just how incredibly Marxist her thought process is.

"ethnic minorities cannot oppress white people"

"women cannot oppress men"

"the proletariat cannot oppress the bourgeoisie"

She applies it to culture instead of economics, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

She'll just end up in a Public Sector role or one of the countless Culture Quangos that are littered around London.

There will be a lot of people in these organisations that will feel sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

The Independent are reporting that she's getting a lot of support!
    A groundswell of support is emerging online for a student diversity officer who found herself at the centre of a racism row after asking white people not to attend an event for black and ethnic minority students.

Bahar Mustafa has faced a backlash in recent weeks after posting the message on Facebook, which requested white people not to attend the event in April.

Ms Mustafa, the diversity officer for Goldsmiths University, in London, has defended her position, but now faces losing her job after a change.org petition was set up asking for her to be removed from her position.
    An open letter has also been posted to change.org with the title "Open Letter in Solidarity with Bahar Mustafa, Welfare and Diversity Officer, Goldsmiths."

The letter describes how the event organised was "aimed at self-identifying BME women and non-binary people" and was not a "diversity event" as had been portrayed elsewhere.

The letter reads: "It is crucial that we make it clear, at Goldsmiths and beyond, that BME-led initiatives have the support and solidarity of many.

"We reject the attempt to tar these initiatives as 'divisive' and 'racist' and we extend our solidarity to everyone resisting marginalisation and isolation on a day by day basis."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bahar-mustafa-support-for-goldsmiths-university-diversity-officer-grows-online-with-hashtag-supportbaharmustafa-10263570.html

Whether saying things like this is considered racist or not, I don't know, or care, but in college with students its different. This is a figure of authority who is excluding certain students because of the way they were born, whether they are more privileged or whatever the **** colour they are, it doesn't matter. She should have more sense as a 'diversity officer'. Surely white people are a population that makes up part of said college diversity anyhow.

bjork wrote: »
    Se deserves to

Such BS. Im gay and I don't feel like people in Ireland are homophobic toward me at all, in any part of Ireland Ive been. And seeing as britain is more liberal it can only be better there, especially London. So really when I see gay people being offended by tiny offhanded remarks it kind of annoys me, like yeh if you want to be so PC i guess some people could find it offensive, but really, its not all that offensive at all. A lot of lgbt, people of colour and feminists go out of their way to be offended by the smallest things.
    And seeing as open homophobia is more socially acceptable in everyday life than say being mysoginistic or racist makes me think people of colour and women are no more 'oppressed'(lol you'd think straight people were executing us) than I am. I can't say for sure but Id say anyone who said women shouldn't be paid as much as men or I hate Nigg3rs would be hung drawn and quartered. Where as for example being against gay marriage due to your religions homophobic beliefs is perfectly ok.

But yeh thats just my opinion, the lefties really are as loony as people make them out to be, often no exaggeration.

The only group I feel is actually oppressed in the west who's human rights issues need to be more widely addressed are the transgender community. I genuinely feel for trans people and can't imagine how difficult their lives must be.

Advertisement