Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity officer in UK - "Women of colour can't be racist or sexist"

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Going on to learn stuff......

As a relatively recent student myself (5 years ago) I found that a lot of students are actually insufferable dickheads.

Student Unions attract the most annoying of these, they swarm to their SU like flies swarm around a freshly laid shite.

If you are capable of annoying people every time you make a sound then you'll probably get elected to these positions within the SU and then might walk around with the delusion that you are actually important. Election also depends on what clubs or societies you attend and how many of your mates will bother getting out of bed in the morning to go and vote for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

This is gas like. I work as a trade union organiser and politically would be considered far-left. Part of my job is to try and take groups of working-class people, organise them and then get them to fight for better conditions etc. In other words, it's a process of trying to create actual concrete change. Now, some might oppose unions etc but if you're of a left-wing perspective then organising workers is where it's at.

However, people like this young one simply view the badge of being left-wing as part of their identity as opposed to being actually concerned with getting out there and trying to create real change. They're far happier immersing themselves in some academic bubble and hobnobbing with fellow self-aggrandisers about how great and enlightened they are. I know lots of these people in London and the look of bemusement on their faces when Labour got hammered was unreal, they're just divorced from real people.

They're great to talk sh*te and back-slap but ask them to stand at a factory gate at 6am in the cold or go and speak to a load of bus-drivers in a canteen in South London and they'd be lost. Their talk of "paradigms and heteronormativity" wouldn't cut the mustard with a load of middle-aged women in an Essex cake factory either. They probably know this too though, so are far more comfortable in the universities than out in the real world with the uncouth plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

FTA69 wrote: »
    They're far happier immersing themselves in some academic bubble and hobnobbing with fellow self-aggrandisers about how great and enlightened they are.
    Ideological bubble more than an academic one I'd say, where they can invent or exaggerate threats and enemies they must nobly do battle against.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

DeVore wrote: »
    Yes but another world war would also put an end to just about everything else too. :(

Yeah, but it could be in a cool Max Max way

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is gas like. I work as a trade union organiser and politically would be considered far-left. Part of my job is to try and take groups of working-class people, organise them and then get them to fight for better conditions etc. In other words, it's a process of trying to create actual concrete change. Now, some might oppose unions etc but if you're of a left-wing perspective then organising workers is where it's at.

However, people like this young one simply view the badge of being left-wing as part of their identity as opposed to being actually concerned with getting out there and trying to create real change. They're far happier immersing themselves in some academic bubble and hobnobbing with fellow self-aggrandisers about how great and enlightened they are. I know lots of these people in London and the look of bemusement on their faces when Labour got hammered was unreal, they're just divorced from real people.

They're great to talk sh*te and back-slap but ask them to stand at a factory gate at 6am in the cold or go and speak to a load of bus-drivers in a canteen in South London and they'd be lost. Their talk of "paradigms and heteronormativity" wouldn't cut the mustard with a load of middle-aged women in an Essex cake factory either. They probably know this too though, so are far more comfortable in the universities than out in the real world with the uncouth plebs.

Exactly. They are bullsh*tters. Student Unions are full of them.

They are people just looking out for themselves. Trying to make a name for themselves on the stage that a SU provides. Most of them are never heard from again post-graduation, once they get out into the real world and realise they spent their student life talking bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Her background is Turkish I think but I'm not certain.

It'd be quite funny if she were Turkish.

Turks and Arabs are also classified as Caucasians, hell, quite a few of them have blue eyes and blond hair.

Racist cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gawwd yeah, sure I was on a business trip to Lagos and the whole society was totes black-orientated, I felt so oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

osarusan wrote: »
    Ideological bubble more than an academic one I'd say, where they can invent or exaggerate threats and enemies they must nobly do battle against.

Not even mate, because they don't even like people who would largely agree with them. I remember working in a gaff called Witham in Essex and spent weeks in the council estates campaigning on the NHS. Some people I knew in London dismissed the whole gaff as a bunch of racist, UKIP-voting plebs who hate immigrants unlike enlightened Peruvian-restaurant frequenting Londoners like themselves.

In reality, they were working class people who broadly agreed on things like a pay rise, free health care and would have voted for Labour for many years. They were just neglected and taken for granted and as such turned to UKIP populism. Once you get out there and speak to them or offer them an alternative they're mostly receptive; but it's far easier to **** on in UCL while calling some lad from Kent who drives a lorry the evil incarnate because he reads the Sun or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

I was going to laugh at her nonsense but then I remember that people like her are on the winning side of the culture war so now I'm depressed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

She's clearly racist and sexist under any reasonable interpretation of those terms, she's also a teeny weeny bit deluded. Thankfully the days when you could openly commit racism or misandry and then play the race or gender card as some sort of valid defence appear to be (slowly) ending. The upside of social media is you can't really control those messages anymore and a particularly unflattering light gets shined on this kind of barmyness.

The SU look particularly inept in all of this-theyve tried to walk on egg shells instead of applying the same standard that they would demand in most other situations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

biko wrote: »

Baffling. Diversity for the sake of diversity. Is my understanding right. Does 70% diverse mean 30% of the students are from the majority group and 70% minority from minority groups. If a local population of school age children is 20% minority group. The ideal number should be around 20%, therefore representative of the local populace. It is the school administrations fault. He is pulling his daughter from the school now. His whole video seems like a cruel joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

lol, system of privileges for white people in europe? Please, not all western countries have the same history of racial discrimination as the US. you're not american, love

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Also she has blue eyes she's literally of ****ing european descent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

anncoates wrote: »
    A student union diversity officer in Goldsmiths University.

This will definitely have a profound influence on the rest of the population.

The scary thing is that they have a tendency to go from SU politics straight into some quango with a lot of influence to peddle or worse, real politics. Sure you only have to listen to about 2 minutes of that insufferable former SU president and current Labour minister Aodhan O'Riordan blathering to realise that such individuals can do plenty of damage in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

conorhal wrote: »
    The scary thing is that they have a tendency to go from SU politics straight into some quango with a lot of influence to peddle or worse, real politics. Sure you only have to listen to about 2 minutes of that insufferable former SU president and current Labour minister Aodhan O'Riordan blathering to realise that such individuals can do plenty of damage in the real world.

These people don't stand a chance of getting a job in the real world. So they get involved in politics, work in quangos or stay in academia regurgitating these views.

These people don't stand a chance of getting a job in the real world. So they get involved in politics, work in quangos or stay in academia regurgitating these views.

Then scream blue murder when funding gets cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Wibbs wrote: »
    When you see terms like "non-binary"… WTF. Time to bail out.
    eeping the job.

If you think that the mention of one of the main points of queer theory is a "time to bail out" maybe you need to read more?
    Gender binary is a ridiculous concept in this day and age.

Judith Butler's "gender trouble" might be a good place to start. Sedgwick is worth reading too.

Quite how you managed to shoehorn gender identify into a conversation about a woman's views on racism is beyond me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

There are Black Africans out there that are racist toward Caribbean Africans because they have some notion in their head that the Caribbean Blacks are descended from African Slaves hence they are better.

So her statement is wrong.

You're kind of hitting the nail on the head on the difference between social science academic theory and applied social science (your work, community development work, youth work, advocacy, etc) and to a lesser extent empirical research. A lot of those academic academics who are only interested in theory generation have massive apathy and even disdain for those doing applied work or empirical research.

Tis a massive problem in the field.

• Advertisement

OneArt wrote: »
    It'd be quite funny if she were Turkish.

Turks and Arabs are also classified as Caucasians, hell, quite a few of them have blue eyes and blond hair.

Racist cow.

Persian and South Asian people are considered "Caucasian" too, but you'd have to have a fairly strange mind to deny the fact that they are not white Europeans.

Persian and South Asian people are considered "Caucasian" too, but you'd have to have a fairly strange mind to deny the fact that they are not white Europeans.

Still more Caucasian than kerrymen or noddies

Still more Caucasian than kerrymen or noddies

What's a "noddy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Sometimes I weep for humanity when these loonies actually get support.

I'm all for cutting out racism/sexism/Xism
    But FFS, being a racist sexist idiot isn't doing anything other than feeding your own ego.
    And for going off on Wibbs, he's spot on. The whole idea of the latest fad of the social justice movement is incredibly stupid.

By all means fight for good causes. But saying "white men are the problem" is both racist and sexist.
    Saying "non white women cannot be racist or sexist because they're not the majority" is about as helpful as saying "Damo who knifed someone isn't a criminal, he's from a poor background and he can't be a criminal. That's offensive to label him that wa. Society made him that way".

With that being said, the latest definitions of the words racism and sexism are becoming more and more akin to a Monty Python movie.

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭engineerbrah

She looks Jewish. With a comment like that she probably is.

What's a "noddy"?

A nodding nordie

That's a paddlin'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It seems kind of racist to get the black person to hold the microphone for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod: Banned for a day

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    It seems kind of racist to get the black person to hold the microphone for you.

Seems kind of racist to suggest a black person can' t hold a microphone

Advertisement