Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Its only a 4 mile run from Heuston to the RDS :pac:

Alternatively, when you get to Merrion Square you could reccie the route as far as the RDS :D

I was actually planning on walking in first thing on Saturday morning, it's not too far a walk and about the only exercise I'll get that day. Chrislad, if you're not sure how to get there and don't mind a brisk walk, feel free to drop me a PM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very jealous of everyone gearing up for this Marathon on Monday, I'll be around KCR/Terenure so I'll give a shout out to anyone I recognize.

Best of luck to all the soon to be ex-novices, try to enjoy it. Perfect running weather out there now hopefully it keeps up for another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

chrislad wrote: »
    What's the best way to get out to the RDS from O'Connell St/Heuston?

Run.

maybe not

Anyone know are pace bands available at the expo or are they something you need to make yourself?

Also, apart from a race number / timing chip, what else do we get at the expo? The t-shirt (or is that given out after the race itself)? Is there a goody bag?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They have them at the expo, what time are you aiming for?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    They have them at the expo, what time are you aiming for?
    4h, but I'd also pick up an emergency 4:10 if they were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you get a bag with sweets, fliers, wart powder, Uncle Ben's rice, weird protein bars/drinks etc
    your number
    your bag for the bag drop at the start/finish area

you get your top and medal at the finish line

Phoebas wrote: »

Should be fine so, I think they have them in 10 minute intervals.

RayCun wrote: »
    you get a bag with sweets, fliers, wart powder, Uncle Ben's rice, weird protein bars/drinks etc
    your number

Last year we got a hand towel which was pretty nice, about the only useful thing in there.

I'll never forget Libelula's face last year when she couldn't find her t-shirt in the bag. There was panic and trauma that she'd been forgotten and managed to get the only bag without the t-shirt, there was almost a teary tantrum. That face quickly turned to relief as I explained......

"No dear, it's a fin-ish-ers t-shirt - you get it when you fin-ish".

:P

I'm dead :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

your number

also FYI you can buy other tops/tshirts/jackets/hoodies etc with the year and the logo on them at the 'official merchandise' stand.

Firedance wrote: »
    also FYI you can buy other tops/tshirts/jackets/hoodies etc with the year and the logo on them at the 'official merchandise' stand.

Yes. All them. I wanted all them last year. But last year I wasn't running a marathon so I couldn't buy them.

This year I can buy all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi donglen, sorry to hear that :( Have you got a temperature? If you know your resting heart rate (ideally a morning reading), you'll be able to gauge start-readiness. Don't worry about the missed runs at this stage, focus on getting plenty of rest and plenty of sleep. Echinacea works for me, don't know if it's placebo or not. Keep us posted!

Don't have a temperature and no idea what my RHR should be! I've never slept better than the last 4 nights, the bug has me exhausted by the end of the day so at least I'm getting my sleeps in.
    Having a rest day today, my little one was too poorly to send to school so I jumped on board with that and we're having a couch/blanket day today.
    I do feel I'm on an upward curve though, feel better today than yesterday. As soon as herself dozes off I'm throwing on the Rocky Boxset for some inspiration. Rocky never lets me down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'll never forget Libelula's face last year when she couldn't find her t-shirt in the bag. There was panic and trauma that she'd been forgotten and managed to get the only bag without the t-shirt, there was almost a teary tantrum. That face quickly turned to relief as I explained......

"No dear, it's a fin-ish-ers t-shirt - you get it when you fin-ish".

:P

I'm dead :pac:

One of the lads I was doing the half with last month was handed a bag at the end with no t-shirt, luckily he realised pretty much immediately and was able to go back at get one. No harm double checking the bag as they hand it to you on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Last year the t-shirt wasn't in the bag so you'd to queue for the t-shirt, get awarded your medal and then bag I've no recollection of where that was. Maybe was t-shirt queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Gillo wrote: »
    One of the lads I was doing the half with last month was handed a bag at the end with no t-shirt, luckily he realised pretty much immediately and was able to go back at get one. No harm double checking the bag as they hand it to you on Monday.

:eek::eek: imagine running all those miles and no t-shirt at the end of it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiley70

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Ha ha hope you're doing good Smiley all set for the weekend ?

All set is there room for me in 4.30 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

smiley70 wrote: »
    All set is there room for me in 4.30 ??

:(
    I'm afraid the 4.30 is sold out. There are still vacancies available at 3.00, 3.20, and 4.50?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck all on Monday. Be it your first, last, pacing or stewarting, hope you all have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

aquinn wrote: »
    Last year the t-shirt wasn't in the bag so you'd to queue for the t-shirt, get awarded your medal and then bag I've no recollection of where that was. Maybe was t-shirt queue.

On the website the flow is:
    1. Get First Aid :)
    2. Get Goody Bag
    3. Get tshirt
    4. Get refreshments
    5. Get medal

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    2. Get Goody Bag
    3. Get tshirt
    4. Get refreshments
    5. Get medal

They really make you work for that medal don't they?

First aid? I KNOW THAT MY TOE IS FALLING OFF BUT I WANT MY MEDAL.

OK I need to dial back on the giddiness again today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

chrislad wrote: »
    What's the best way to get out to the RDS from O'Connell St/Heuston?
    Bus probably best bet due to train and dart interruptions. As FD suggests, get the 7, that's more direct. I used the 145 last year...with a 4yo. Not again...'mare :)
    frash wrote: »
    LUAS from Heuston to Connolly
    DART from Connolly to Sandymount
    10 min walk to RDS
    the 7 will get you from O'Connell St to the RDS, the 145 goes from Heuston but would be a walk from Donnybrook down to Ballsbridge.
    That section of the DART is not running this weekend. I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, or anywhere else, but there are major alterations to rail services in north Dublin this weekend, plus some alterations to Intercity services, anyone depending on public transport for their race should check Iarnrod Eireann's website. Replacement buses are running, but that will affect schedules at least.
    Thanks Hemerodrome. Somebody posted a link up a few pages back, anyone feel like searching and bumping please?!
    You'll be able to get as many as you like Phoebas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Anyone know are pace bands available at the expo or are they something you need to make yourself?

I think they were pre-order from Asics this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

That section of the DART is not running this weekend. I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, or anywhere else, but there are major alterations to rail services in north Dublin this weekend, plus some alterations to Intercity services, anyone depending on public transport for their race should check Iarnrod Eireann's website. Replacement buses are running, but that will affect schedules at least.

Good spot - only running from Pearse. Only a 10 min walk from Busaras to Pearse.

More info on changes here - http://www.irishrail.ie/news/October-bank-holiday-service-arrangements#Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

your number

Don't forget the towel! Mine's had lots of use as a kitchen towel. Never think of the marathon mind you when I use it.....
    Yeah, 'unfinisher' crap ;):D
    donglen wrote: »
    Don't have a temperature and no idea what my RHR should be! I've never slept better than the last 4 nights, the bug has me exhausted by the end of the day so at least I'm getting my sleeps in.
    Having a rest day today, my little one was too poorly to send to school so I jumped on board with that and we're having a couch/blanket day today.
    I do feel I'm on an upward curve though, feel better today than yesterday. As soon as herself dozes off I'm throwing on the Rocky Boxset for some inspiration. Rocky never lets me down!!
    Oh that's good news. Keep doing what you're doing so. Can't beat a duvet day. Not saying I like my kids being sick buuuut....:o
    Gillo wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's as whoops says...a - how did she do it?! - fin-ish-ers t shirt :D
    Downtime wrote: »
    I think they were pre-order from Asics this year.
    Yes, you can pre-order customised ones and also pick up pre-made ones from the pacers stand. I presume they're from 3-5 hours in 10 min increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

Thank God for this thread - there was me heading to Harmonstown Dart station Sat morning to head to the RDS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Here's one I've knocked together, pop your target time in the yellow cell.
    W = water, L = Lucozade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    2. Get Goody Bag
    3. Get tshirt
    4. Get refreshments
    5. Get medal
      6 Get to McGrattans;)

FYP!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Chops1234 wrote: »
    Thank God for this thread - there was me heading to Harmonstown Dart station Sat morning to head to the RDS :)

Hi Chops,
    The DART should be ok on Saturday and Sunday. Only 3 hour strike planned for tomorrow from 6am to 9am.... DART to Sandymount and a 10 minute walk to the RDS is still a good plan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Chops,
    The DART should be ok on Saturday and Sunday. Only 3 hour strike planned for tomorrow from 6am to 9am.... DART to Sandymount and a 10 minute walk to the RDS is still a good plan ;)

It says this on that link posted above (Just for information - I have now asked himself to drive me :o)

Connolly and DART Service Arrangements - Saturday 24th, Sunday 25th and Monday 26th October

Due to major engineering works between Pearse and Malahide there will be no train service between Pearse & Howth / Malahide.

The following DART stations will be closed;

Portmarnock
    Clongriffin
    Howth
    Sutton
    Bayside
    Howth Junction & Donaghmede
    Kilbarrack
    Raheny
    Harmonstown
    Killester
    Clontarf Rd
    Tara Street
    DART services will operate to/from Pearse, Bray and Greystones only.

Advertisement