Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

FBOT01 wrote: »
    The accepted wisdom is don't bother your ar$e until Monday morning as you live in Ireland so the only way to really forecast is to look out the window :D

That's my plan with everything weather related! I haven't checked so far and suspect I won't really as not going to change what I'm wearing/bringing with me.
    Luckily for me down here in Kerry I have been soaked and blown out of it a bit on some of the LSRs. Things do slow down a bit but heat affects me more than rain. Obviously a nasty headwind is not pleasant at all but you just have to live with it and watch the effort levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

diego_b wrote: »
    That's my plan with everything weather related! I haven't checked so far and suspect I won't really as not going to change what I'm wearing/bringing with me.
    Luckily for me down here in Kerry I have been soaked and blown out of it a bit on some of the LSRs. Things do slow down a bit but heat affects me more than rain. Obviously a nasty headwind is not pleasant at all but you just have to live with it tuck in behind some big lad and watch the his effort levels.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Clearlier wrote: »

Very difficult to call neil. A 50 min 10k suggests a sub-4 but even with the extra training for Limerick have you got the endurance to carry it through? If you have kept the training log up to date then you're averaging 22mpw over 17 weeks which is definitely enough to finish the marathon but not enough to optimise your endurance.

I'd say go for it (not that I have any relevant experience on which to base such an assertion).

Debating a sub 4hr myself. I think it's because 4 hours is a nice round number to aim for. Have run 19:30 5km and 42 min 10km this year. Endurance is sorely lacking as i've only 300 km in the legs this year, most of that in the last 8 weeks, but sure if you never try you'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'd say go for it (not that I have any relevant experience on which to base such an assertion).

Debating a sub 4hr myself. I think it's because 4 hours is a nice round number to aim for. Have run 19:30 5km and 42 min 10km this year. Endurance is sorely lacking as i've only 300 km in the legs this year, most of that in the last 8 weeks, but sure if you never try you'll never know!

I have never tried chewing off my right index finger but I am happy to accept that it would be pretty painful so won't be trying it anytime soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's probably worth mentioning first off that it's probably not a good idea to run a marathon off the level of training but if you're going to have a go then hopefully you've squeezed in a couple of decent length long runs? Assuming that's the case then I'd just run at the same pace as your long run pace and if that was sub-4 pace then you should get there.

Needless to say your 5 and 10k times certainly suggest a lot faster than sub-4 but even your 10k is quite slow compared to your 5k (assuming that other factors such as course difficulty are identical) and without the endurance you'll be a long way off able to convert those times into a relatively good marathon time. I think that you should still be able to manage sub-4 but it might be worth getting in a bit of practice now on how to walk backwards down stairs!

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I have never tried chewing off my right index finger but I am happy to accept that it would be pretty painful so won't be trying it anytime soon :D

I've no doubt that you're right. If you see me about 15 miles in crawling my way to the finish line I give you full permission to say I told you so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd be careful - I'm over 800km done in the past 18 weeks, let alone year. I'm just going to take it handy since it's my first one. A great quote from someone on Facebook that I'll be taking to heart is 'It's not about the finish time, it's about the finish line'.

Clearlier wrote: »
    It's probably worth mentioning first off that it's probably not a good idea to run a marathon off the level of training but if you're going to have a go then hopefully you've squeezed in a couple of decent length long runs? Assuming that's the case then I'd just run at the same pace as your long run pace and if that was sub-4 pace then you should get there.

Needless to say your 5 and 10k times certainly suggest a lot faster than sub-4 but even your 10k is quite slow compared to your 5k (assuming that other factors such as course difficulty are identical) and without the endurance you'll be a long way off able to convert those times into a relatively good marathon time. I think that you should still be able to manage sub-4 but it might be worth getting in a bit of practice now on how to walk backwards down stairs!

Cheers, yeah i know i'm not well prepared, but I have got in two ~30 k LSRs, and managed a 25km run at 5:45 per km the other week so i'm not in dire straits either.

Maybe you're right though and i should aim for 4:10 or so. I'm away on holidays 2 days after so being able to walk would be pretty useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭oirishfruitie

I know it's been asked before, but trolling through all the pages isn't easy!

Where do people suggest to park on Monday morning?

Am coming in from the North side.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Emsy 1

Anyone know if Mcgrattans serve food on a bank holiday? or any recommendations for a quick bite with two small ones!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Emsy 1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Mcgrattans serve food on a bank holiday? or any recommendations for a quick bite with two small ones!!

They do nice food, but it might be a bit tricky getting a table.
    There's also a Burger King about 100metres away on Baggot Street ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

menoscemo wrote: »
    They do nice food, but it might be a bit tricky getting a table.
    There's also a Burger King about 100metres away on Baggot Street ;)

Isn't that closed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    Isn't that closed down?

I checked, seems to have reopened last month...http://www.whopper.ie/index.php?id=77

All my excitement and giddiness had to end some time I guess....

:(

cold-feet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What's going on whoops? Am no good at reading blue feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

aquinn wrote: »

I'm glad you asked because I was wondering if I'd missed something. Everything ok Whoops?

I thought they were feet with vaseline on them at first, then I thought frozen feet but now I'm thinking cold feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

aquinn wrote: »

I think that she may be getting cold feet about doing the marathon.

It's taper time Whoops - these kind of thoughts and feeling are perfectly normal. Trust in the training. You will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

An extra pair of socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I packed 3 pairs just in case!

Did all my packing last night as away from home on Friday night through to Sunday week through the marathon, some time off, a few days work in Dublin and a wedding. I packed in reverse from the wedding back. For the marathon itself I have packed at least 2x most things just in case. Trying to keep everything nice and cool this week as pretty busy with work and life but controlling the controllables!
    Did my pace bands at lunchtime, with coding for water stops, gel stops, toilets, first aid...climbs and drops.
    For the sake of it I did one for 3:59:30, 4:05, 4:10. Still planning on going out ahead of the 4:10 pacers but keeping it steady for the first 10miles. I like that 10m/10m/10k strategy a lot. Between that and breaking the races into 5miles for gels it will keep the focus right.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi all, quick update here, I am officially gone bonkers, haven't been running at all over last few days, giving hip a chance to recover, I feel like I am coming down with a cold too. Physio again tonight.
    I feel I have really over-tapered and body doesn't know whats going on.

Anytime anybody asks me about the Marathon I frown at them thinking do you not know what I'm going through.

Fingers crossed that body stays in one piece for full 26.2.. Trying to stay as positive as I can.

Monday can't come soon enough for me. I just want to start now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Speaking of McGrattans and pubs in the area, do they generally turn a blind eye to people in track suits considering the day it will be?

Sorry lads. Cold feet. Just panicking a bit and feeling a bit overwhelmed. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Absolutely be grand. Don't bother with the panic. Trust in the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Emsy 1

menoscemo wrote: »
    I checked, seems to have reopened last month...http://www.whopper.ie/index.php?id=77

Thanks that will do nicely as me and the hubby are planning a nice meal that night minus the kiddos.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

Sorry lads. Cold feet. Just panicking a bit and feeling a bit overwhelmed. Be grand.

Ah you'll be grand! I just watched this and I shed a tear (yes I'm a sap!) I was both nervous and excited watching it and I just can't wait now :)

http://youtu.be/qHzvv2pmQGE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop on and say a MA-HOO-SIVE good luck to everyone on the thread doing DCM on Monday :-)

I followed this thread last year to complete my first marathon and I can honestly say it was one of the best days of my life, hands down. It is an amazing achievement getting over that finish line, there is no other feeling like it.

I know this time last year I was a total bag of nerves, but as so many others have said TRUST THE TRAINING! Try to relax in these few days as much as possible, and on the day soak in the incredible atmosphere & dont fret too much about finishing times if its your first attempt.

Enjoy the day all, will be on next week to read all the super race reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I know it's been asked before, but trolling through all the pages isn't easy!

Where do people suggest to park on Monday morning?

Am coming in from the North side.

Thanks
    Just bumping this up. I heard last night that the roads are pretty much open until the last minute but that may be just on the southside. Saying that, it's not getting in that's the problem, it's getting out :eek:
    All my excitement and giddiness had to end some time I guess....

:(

cold-feet.jpg
    Gargamel and Azriel get you?! :pjoking I knew ;)
    Gillo wrote: »
    Speaking of McGrattans and pubs in the area, do they generally turn a blind eye to people in track suits considering the day it will be?
    Absolutely. Just walk a bit bandy legged and lurch a bit and they'll even let you in smelly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Originally Posted by Dubgal72
    Hi sideshow. I put your times on a Jack Daniels vdot table......

Yep, I tried a bottle of Jack Daniels last night and I have convinced myself that a sub 4 hour marathon is on the cards......thumping headache this morning mind you :eek::eek:

Does anyone know if the course is exactly the same as last year, as I don't remember running through Stoneybatter last year? It was changed a bit due to Luas works I believe......any insight DG or mentors?? Not really a big deal as it is early on in the race just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Gillo wrote: »

God yeah mc grattans full of sweaty runners post marathon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Chops1234 wrote: »
    Ah you'll be grand! I just watched this and I shed a tear (yes I'm a sap!) I was both nervous and excited watching it and I just can't wait now :)

http://youtu.be/qHzvv2pmQGE

Haha.
    That's where I made my little cameo appearance at the top of Heartbreak Hill :D

Advertisement