Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What's the story with the bag for the bag drop? Can we only drop in what will fit in that? What am I going to do with my kitchen sink? Help DG!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You can only pack and drop the bag given at the expo. I'd a backpack last year and read the instructions at the last minute so had to swap over. No sink so make a list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aquinn wrote: »
    You can only pack and drop the bag given at the expo. I'd a backpack last year and read the instructions at the last minute so had to swap over. No sink so make a list!

Just put your backpack inside the plastic bag they give you, problem solved ;).

Oh and for those coming from OConnell st to the RDS the 4 also goes directly there, just like the 7 bus. Both go from the same stop on OConnell bridge so take either option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just put your backpack inside the plastic bag they give you, problem solved ;).

Oh and for those coming from OConnell st to the RDS the 4 also goes directly there, just like the 7 bus. Both go from the same stop on OConnell bridge so take either option.

yeah, maybe if you're a bloke :D

Tolouse make a list, you'll still fit loads in the proper bag and you really don't need as much as you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Chops1234 wrote: »
    It says this on that link posted above (Just for information - I have now asked himself to drive me :o)

Connolly and DART Service Arrangements - Saturday 24th, Sunday 25th and Monday 26th October

Due to major engineering works between Pearse and Malahide there will be no train service between Pearse & Howth / Malahide.

The following DART stations will be closed;

Portmarnock
    Clongriffin
    Howth
    Sutton
    Bayside
    Howth Junction & Donaghmede
    Kilbarrack
    Raheny
    Harmonstown
    Killester
    Clontarf Rd
    Tara Street
    DART services will operate to/from Pearse, Bray and Greystones only.

Yep,
    I just rang a DART Station Manager that I know and he did indeed confirm that Pearse to Malahide/Howth is not operating due to Engineering works!!

Cheek of them.....they should have consulted with Dubgal on this first...:D

Southside Novices are good to go via DART it appears.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Is it Monday yet? Is it Monday yet? Is it Monday yet?

Firedance wrote: »
    yeah, maybe if you're a bloke :D

Tolouse make a list, you'll still fit loads in the proper bag and you really don't need as much as you think :)

Yeah, I'm just panicking because I don't know how big the bag is and I'll need a hoody for after and dry shoes if it's raining, everything else I can cram in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Toulouse wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just panicking because I don't know how big the bag is and I'll need a hoody for after and dry shoes if it's raining, everything else I can cram in.

its huge, I promise, and I was joking with meno, a backpack would fit in it even with all the stuff us ladies like to pack :) It will all be fine.

Firedance wrote: »
    its huge, I promise, and I was joking with meno, a backpack would fit in it even with all the stuff us ladies like to pack :) It will all be fine.

Thank you so much! Feel better now, I didn't want to have to trust anyone else to meet me with stuff so relieved to know I don't have to.

And breathe :D

Got my top done today as well, I won't be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

The 'charge your garmin' on your list TFGR reminded me to remind you guys to clear the memory too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    The 'charge your garmin' on your list TFGR reminded me to remind you guys to clear the memory too!

Good idea! Mine turned off at the start of my run today, so I must do that now. I'll have my phone with me for a backup anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Interesting observation from someone who feigns such a lack of interest in such things.

aquinn wrote: »
    Interesting observation from someone who feigns such a lack of interest in such things.

:p

Ever heard the expression 'know thine enemy'?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

I can't remember if it was asked here already, but anyway - is it safe to leave car keys/ money in the bag at bag drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Emsy 1

w00p!! :D Can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Made the mistake of taking my RHR before sleep last night and freaked myself out!

What's everyone's plans for the Expo? I'm planning a quick in and out on Saturday morning sometime but if anyone's around for a coffee I'm all over that![/quote

Probably be Sunday afternoon before I get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

A few people mentioned the train's, so here the information again.

Also Monday there'll be no shuttle bus between Connolly & Pearse, that's a long walk back:eek:

Thanks for the heads up re, clearing GPS's & watches, I'd never have thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

ratracer wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was asked here already, but anyway - is it safe to leave car keys/ money in the bag at bag drop?

I usually do - there's a small risk obviously but not one that I get concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HardWorker was very offended a couple of years ago at the suggestion that things might not be safe in the bag drop. He was (might still be?) in charge of it for years and was adamant that they had never had any losses.

So yes, it is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Small thing if calculating or using average pace. Do the maths using 26.40+ miles as opposed to 26.22 as you probably wont get to run the shortest distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is it Monday yet? Is it Monday yet? Is it Monday yet?

Don't worry, that feeling won't last too long!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Small thing if calculating or using average pace. Do the maths using 26.40+ miles as opposed to 26.22 as you probably wont get to run the shortest distance

Good call. Run your pace off 26.6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Thank you so much! Feel better now, I didn't want to have to trust anyone else to meet me with stuff so relieved to know I don't have to.

And breathe :D

Got my top done today as well, I won't be missed!

Nice, glad to see I am not the only one with massive letters on their t-shirt!

diego_b wrote: »
    Nice, glad to see I am not the only one with massive letters on their t-shirt!

Well, go hard or go home I say!

Anyway, will make no odds. I've run with Mrs Mc before, the entire of Dublin knows her and will be shouting her name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Right boys & girls, before you all your heads explode with the stress of it all, just a quick note to wish you all luck on the day.

Make your plan and stick to it, don't go doing anything daft. Start slow and its better to be down on your target at halfway than up on time, remember the drags are mainly in the first 8 miles. Crumlin is a tough slog so once you hit Walkinstown, the worse is over, apart from the last 11 miles:D.

Pain is going to happen so be ready for it. Remember everyone will feel the pain, its how you deal with it is the important thing. You didn't train for months for a bit of discomfort to put you off, now did you?

Feed off the crowds out cheering you, you deserve it. Dublin is a great course and the new finish was just brilliant last year. And if you don't get your target, don't worry, we've all being there and its doesn't lessen what you've done an ounce.

Oh and aim for the centre of the finishing line. I crawled over the line besides the barrier in my first marathon and have no finishing line photo as the camera missed me. So straight up the middle with the lot of ye.

And trust me when I say that all the pain, training, sacrifices and stress is worth it once you cross that line. Good hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Peter D61

Dubgal72 wrote:

I must get one some day

Peter D61 wrote: »
    I must get one some day

Naaaaaaaaah. Stay naked. Naked runners do it best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

w00p!! :D Can't wait to see you guys!!!!

Made the mistake of taking my RHR before sleep last night and freaked myself out!

What's everyone's plans for the Expo? I'm planning a quick in and out on Saturday morning sometime but if anyone's around for a coffee I'm all over that!

FBOT run director in St Anne's saturday so I'm volunteering at that will prob head over after that around 12 /1 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

For those with Garmin remember to turn off the auto pause function (or equivalent function on other gps)!
    Look up and smile crossing the line, the good folks at DCM will have stopped their clock, the time on your watch is irrelevant! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

smiley70 wrote: »
    All set is there room for me in 4.30 ??

Absolutely will be making sure you drag me along with you ! :)

Advertisement