Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

ratracer wrote: »
    Sometimes the unknown is better......I know I have to run 26.2 miles, I'm hoping I will do it in four and a half hours or so, there is a people with a big flag on their backs to follow!! That's all the info I need to consume for now:eek:

This exactly. I'm from the Northside so haven't a clue where I'm going - good job I'll have thousands of people to follow so I won't get lost :) I'm so excited now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I'm still a bit torn re pace on the day
    I originally thought (at the beginning of my training) my PMP would be 9.30m/m and my LSR's in June/July were around 10.25m/m
    I felt that this was a bit too slow and my comfortable pace was around 9.30/9.40m/m
    My 21 miler was 9.25m/m and it felt okay

So my original plan of going out with the 4:10 pacers is an avg of 9.30m/m which I think/hope I should be able to maintain OR do I start off with the 4:00 pacers and see if I can nick the sub4???

My DHM time was 1:54
    And my Fingal 10k was 49.58

It's not wrecking my head too much and I will see how I feel on the day but I think I could be close to a sub4
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Hi sideshow. I put your times on a Jack Daniels vdot table and they suggest that endurance is your weak point. Despite the 10k being at the beginning of the training cycle, the vdot value is two points higher. A 4:00h target with your half time would be classed as a 'very aggressive target ' for a novice.

It depends what you want from this marathon. Is it a one off? In that case a high risk strategy could be justified. However, I think it will hurt. A lot.
    And the reward will not be worth it (possibly 20+ minutes positive split).

If you plan to come back for more, relax on this one. Start off around 4:20/4:15 pace and see how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Running mad

Sonia O Sullivans build up to the marathon. Might be of interest to people here.

corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2015/10/sonia-osullivan-to-run-dublin-marathon.html?m=1

Sorry I'm not allowed post links

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Just did the toenails, I'll never get a job in a nail bar anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Typical, one of my toenails (finally) just fell off! I'm guessing this isn't what you mean by Toenail Tuesday??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Chops1234 wrote: »
    This exactly. I'm from the Northside so haven't a clue where I'm going - good job I'll have thousands of people to follow so I won't get lost :) I'm so excited now!!

I'm from Skerries so in the same boat, I grew up in Drimnagh until my early teens and nearly pass my old school, the thoughts of running away from the Christian Bothers one more time as I pass through Walkinstown will be a nice boost!

Thankfully apart from a few twinges from my knee it seems ok today, I went for sort walk (about 2 miles) this evening and it was grand. Then logged in here to catch up and found out I should be cutting my nails- Fairplay, you mentors seem to think of everything.

Reading through the route description's Dubgal posted they it doesn't seem nearly as bad today. The only hill I'm really familiar with is Stoneybatter to the NCR, it's longish but not particularly steep until a bit before the end, but I used to cycle it most days and it's an easy enough climb (even after a full day in work).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Clocks go back on Sunday don't forget

Sonia O Sullivans build up to the marathon. Might be of interest to people here.

corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2015/10/sonia-osullivan-to-run-dublin-marathon.html?m=1

Sorry I'm not allowed post links

Thanks for that!

Here you go :)

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2015/10/sonia-osullivan-to-run-dublin-marathon.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Very interesting... But poached eggs? Don't think I'm ready to try that for marathon breakfast.

annapr wrote: »
    Very interesting... But poached eggs? Don't think I'm ready to try that for marathon breakfast.

Yeah, anyone considers that for this year.... :mad: Interesting but definitely an experiment for next year!

• Advertisement

FeenaM wrote: »
    Typical, one of my toenails (finally) just fell off! I'm guessing this isn't what you mean by Toenail Tuesday??

As long as you still have 2.5 on each foot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I wonder what sort of time Sonia would be targetting? Poached eggs doesn't sound too bad for breakfast actually but won't be trying it Monday.

I wonder what sort of time Sonia would be targetting? Poached eggs doesn't sound too bad for breakfast actually but won't be trying it Monday.

I'd say from her recent half in the Park, about 3:10 or just under.

and that was the right answer EK re breakfast :D

Right off to bed with the lot o ye ;)

Night night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Laura will be relying on you for that supportive shout !!! You got me through the last mile at the HM :)

Not a chance, that was all you. But I'll see you out there, I'll let you know where I'm hoping to be once decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

I think its time someone logged some running around here:)

Tuesday: 7 miles/2@pmp
    After a sports massage on Monday, this was a nice enjoyable run on fresh legs.

So today is weather Wednesday,
    would ye prefer hourly updates or will daily updates do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JacEim

4 miles last night in a very easy pace - Garmin is back in Ireland so am running blind while away this week. Have no idea what speed I was running at, but since the plan called for an easy pace I ran at what I felt was an easy pace and it was very relaxing not having the watch there to remind me / regularly look at. I think I will do a bit more blind running after the marathon.

Was running along a lovely beach promenade but I was running on a concrete surface for it all and was a little nervous of the hardness of concrete - (complete over reaction.. I know!!)

Anyway's, did a quick analysis last night - I have run in 11 different countries in prep for the marathon :)

Already checked the weather on 3 different sites and they are all 'slightly' different so I think we should let DG make the official pronouncement. If she is wrong it will probably be the only time she has been in the last 4 months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Weather Wednesday?

I'll be checking it myself, but the accepted wisdom is that long-range forecasting is only accurate up to 4 days ahead. So tomorrow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Cant keep up with the posts in here at the moment, pages flying by!

But if anyone is interested i cut my toenails, and did a 3.5m easy last night.

Time? Still not confirmed.. Somewhere around 4:00:00 but which side..

Any one want to wade in?

Only 2 races this year
    10k 50min
    Half 1:55 (Not raced as coming off a hamstring niggle)

I had 14 weeks of the boards plan done in prep for Limerick marathon in April but didn't get to the start due to a stupid game of astro and going over on my ankle!

LSR's all done between 9:45 and 10:00m/m. Paced miles have been aiming at 9m/m.

Can a 4:00:00 be achieved? 4:10:00?

JacEim wrote: »
    4 miles last night in a very easy pace - Garmin is back in Ireland so am running blind while away this week. Have no idea what speed I was running at, but since the plan called for an easy pace I ran at what I felt was an easy pace and it was very relaxing not having the watch there to remind me / regularly look at. I think I will do a bit more blind running after the marathon.

Was running along a lovely beach promenade but I was running on a concrete surface for it all and was a little nervous of the hardness of concrete - (complete over reaction.. I know!!)

Anyway's, did a quick analysis last night - I have run in 11 different countries in prep for the marathon :)

Already checked the weather on 3 different sites and they are all 'slightly' different so I think we should let DG make the official pronouncement. If she is wrong it will probably be the only time she has been in the last 4 months :)
    We've been doing 'naked running' now and then :) All fun and games here ;) Blind, naked running? Can't wait to see that :D:D
    And I'm with davedanon, no absolute forecasting from me til tomorrow. No harm in a glance tho. Shame, weather wednesday has a good ring....
    Cant keep up with the posts in here at the moment, pages flying by!

But if anyone is interested i cut my toenails, and did a 3.5m easy last night.

Any one want to wade in?

Only 2 races this year
    10k 50min

I had 14 weeks of the boards plan done in prep for Limerick marathon in April but didn't get to the start due to a stupid game of astro and going over on my ankle!

Hi Neil. The general consensus is that if you've had an interrupted schedule, go for the more conservative target. It's a tough call to make but trust me, it's far far easier to start conservatively and finish strong (ex start behind the 4:10 pacing group and finish 4:0x). If you start at 4:00 pace and blow up, it won't be pretty; you'll possibly limp in in 4:2x.....
    Saying that, if you feel you've a good general endurance base behind you over the last 12 months, go for it but listen to your body every step of the way. If you're feeling any sort of a pinch at all in the first 10 miles, back off straight away. I was listening to my coach giving pre-marathon advice to our elites last night and he really emphasized the importance of the first few miles being conservative.

Hope this helps Neil, this has to be your year! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Looks like a bit of rain, cool, with a light breeze. Perfect.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

We could do forecast friday instead :D

We could do forecast friday instead :D

Genius, I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi sideshow. I put your times on a Jack Daniels vdot table and they suggest that endurance is your weak point. Despite the 10k being at the beginning of the training cycle, the vdot value is two points higher. A 4:00h target with your half time would be classed as a 'very aggressive target ' for a novice.

It depends what you want from this marathon. Is it a one off? In that case a high risk strategy could be justified. However, I think it will hurt. A lot.
    And the reward will not be worth it (possibly 20+ minutes positive split).

If you plan to come back for more, relax on this one. Start off around 4:20/4:15 pace and see how you go.

+1 to Dubgal's advice sideshowbob. Unless there's a solid reason for doing a relatively slower time for the half than the 10k you'll be setting yourself up for a world of pain if you start out at 4hr pace. 4:20 to halfway, slight pick up to the 20 mile point and then cruise in to the finish passing hundreds of people as you go.

Any one want to wade in?

Only 2 races this year
    10k 50min

Very difficult to call neil. A 50 min 10k suggests a sub-4 but even with the extra training for Limerick have you got the endurance to carry it through? If you have kept the training log up to date then you're averaging 22mpw over 17 weeks which is definitely enough to finish the marathon but not enough to optimise your endurance.

You'll need to make a call on it on the day I think, maybe start a little behind the 4 hr pacers, get into a rhythm and see where it takes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Hope this helps Neil, this has to be your year! :)

I'm on it!!! Thanks for the advise.. Ill go with that so.. start +4:00:00 and see how we get on mile by mile.. Really looking forward to it and surprisingly not any way nervous, YET!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

davedanon wrote: »
    Looks like a bit of rain, cool, with a light breeze. Perfect.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

Not that I've been refreshing that link constantly or anything ;)

yr.no was forcasting overcast on Saturday, lashing rain on Sunday, overcast and calm yesterday, windy this morning and now rainy... I don't think we'll get an accurate idea of what's gonna happen until Sunday evening.

That said I'll take rainy over windy any day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Singer wrote: »
    Not that I've been refreshing that link constantly or anything ;)

yr.no was forcasting overcast on Saturday, lashing rain on Sunday, overcast and calm yesterday, windy this morning and now rainy... I don't think we'll get an accurate idea of what's gonna happen until Sunday evening.

That said I'll take rainy over windy any day :)

if it rains I'm going straight to the pub, no orange segments at mile 20 I'll have to dig out the waterproofs :p

Firedance wrote: »
    if it rains I'm going straight to the pub, no orange segments at mile 20 I'll have to dig out the waterproofs :p

Just leave them on a table. I'll make sure to share them. Swearz >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just a heads up, I hadn't realised myself and only came across it this morning but trains are all over the place this weekend, it's probably more for getting home afterwards as the start was too early for trains and possibly the expo over the weekend.

I'm posting from a phone so here's the copy and pasted link
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/October-bank-holiday-service-arrangements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

davedanon wrote: »
    Weather Wednesday?

I'll be checking it myself, but the accepted wisdom is that long-range forecasting is only accurate up to 4 days ahead. So tomorrow then.

The accepted wisdom is don't bother your ar$e until Monday morning as you live in Ireland so the only way to really forecast is to look out the window :D

Advertisement