Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

diego_b wrote: »
    I did indeed, it's basically a 16 week plan stretched out with some weeks repeated, altered it by moving the LSRs from the Sunday to the Saturday and moving the rest day to the Sunday and then trying to incorporate Tuesday night training I do already.

If after doing a LSR on a Saturday morning (I'm hoping to do some of these with a running group in my area), would I be okay to do a run on Sunday evening, take a rest day Monday, circuits Tuesday, then run either Wed or Thurs with Friday a rest day. I like the idea of the Active Recovery sessions with some walking so that would nice to do if I had time for another midweek session.

Note I also sent it to a coach in my club and he's advised 3 quality days a week as per what the guys have said earlier. Quality rather than quantity I have heard now a few times!!

In the mean time I'm running 3 times a week at the moment and working through the 30 day challenge, completed day four tonight. Enjoying that, I find I can work really well with things when I have a plan to follow....guess it's the case to get a plan I can work with.

The boards plan from 2014 should suit you. It has the LSR on Saturday with a few easy miles Sunday. If you did the Tues run early and the Wed run late no reason why you couldn't fit in your circuit training unless it is very intense.

I'd keep things ticking over with base building and have a look at the 2015 Boards Plan when it is launched before making a call.........the wait will help you with learning the patience needed for the road ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

FBOT01 wrote: »
    The boards plan from 2014 should suit you. It has the LSR on Saturday with a few easy miles Sunday. If you did the Tues run early and the Wed run late no reason why you couldn't fit in your circuit training unless it is very intense.

I'd keep things ticking over with base building and have a look at the 2015 Boards Plan when it is launched before making a call.........the wait will help you with learning the patience needed for the road ahead :)

I particularly liked the last line!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

The boards 2015 plan will be the same as 2014, only the dates will change :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    The boards 2015 plan will be the same as 2014, only the dates will change :D

Assumed that but I was focusing on the patience bit........now you have ruined that. I thought I would have at least gotten the weekend out of it while you were off enjoying your warm weather training camp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bickymary

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Have been running for about 3 years, however I have just started to enter races the past year.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    WMM 2014 10K = 1.03.44
    Parkrun 5K(2 weeks ago)= 29.34

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Spinning class once a week and the gym once fortnightly, usually get out running 3 times a week. Have recently started running Parkrun on Saturdays too!

How many days a week do you run only?

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I would be happy with finishing
    What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?
    Not sure yet, i'm very new to this so any advice on this would be great.

I'm just wondering though, as 10K is the longest race I have participated in and based on my times (everyone else on this forum have really good PB's) and the fact I have never done a HM, should I even do DCM it this year? Or should I aim for a HM this year?

I would really love to do it and I know I would be 100% dedicated to the training plan but I wonder am I being realistic about this? Will I be able to go from running 10K to 26.2 miles before 26th Oct?

Any help would be really appreciated, Dubgal! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

bickymary wrote: »
    I'm just wondering though, as 10K is the longest race I have participated in and based on my times (everyone else on this forum have really good PB's) and the fact I have never done a HM, should I even do DCM it this year? Or should I aim for a HM this year?
    I wouldn't say that PBs should matter at all (especially not other people's PBs). You're looking to complete it, not win it. (Those Kenyan lads have winning it all sewn up anyway :)).

The advice I've seen here and elsewhere is that you should be comfortably running around 20 miles a week, or capable of getting up to that before the plan starts.
    As you're running 3 times a week right now, you're likely to be there or there about.

If you have a look at the HH Novice 1 plan, the first few lsrs are relatively short, so depending on the plan you pick you can ease into the longer runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Ah sure why not?

DubGal, hats off to you for taking on this role. Even before we get to the starting line (cause WE WILL!), THANKS!

1.What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    Ever since I was a wee lad I've been involved in team sports at an national and international level (up to when I was 26). I used to see running as a boring and gruesome way of getting fit for other "proper" sports, then nearly 3 years ago I got fed up with gyms and hit the road and been doing it consistently since

2.Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    A number of races here and there:
    5k - 22:48 March 2014
    10k - 47:33 May 2015 (Maynooth) - Improvement from 48:57 (Great Ireland Run 2015)
    HM - 1:56:40 Jun 2014
    M - 4:23 Barcelona 2015

3.Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

4.How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Running 4 times a week - T(10k easy), W(6x400), T(6k easy), S(10/12 easy). Sometimes I'll do some kettlebells on Mondays if I get the chance

5.How many days a week do you run only?
    4 days

6.What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Last year I signed up for DCM and only found this thread in week 8/9. Nearly missed the starting line due to a knee injury and only managed to make it thanks to my physio. I was glad just to finish. Barcelona was a lot better but I was only learning about LSRs, tempos, recovery, etc. so this time I want to do it properly. Sooo...
    Goal No.1 - Remain injury free all the way to the day
    Goal No.2 - "Unreasonable expectation" 3:55
    Goal No.3 - "Fallback plan" 4:10

7.What marathon programme are you following/intending to use?
    I followed a modified Hal Higdon for Barcelona and it worked so I may stick to that. I read one of the posters here suggested the Pfitzinger 55 for somebody with similar characteristics and PBs as me so I may find out more about it and then make a call.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I would really love to do it and I know I would be 100% dedicated to the training plan but I wonder am I being realistic about this? Will I be able to go from running 10K to 26.2 miles before 26th Oct?
    My own opinion for what it's worth is this,

Don't worry about what your PB is. No matter what level you are running at there will always be people faster than you and always be people slower than you. So don't worry about that at all.

On the other point, have a think about why you want to do this marathon and what you hope to achieve in it. If you simply want to complete it, get around but not aim for a particular time I think you can do that with 4 months training.

If however you would like to complete the marathon to the best of your ability, you will have a much more enjoyable experience if you spend this year focusing on the shorter distances and come in 2016 for the marathon. This would mean you would have more of a running base built up and would be more able for marathon training and would be less likely to get injured.

I started running in 2012, spent 2013 training for and running the Dublin Half Marathon in September and came back in 2014 for the marathon. It's completely up to you but both a very valid ways of going about it I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

King Mambo, I wouldn't recommend P&D for you. How many miles a week are running right now? Maybe take a look at the boards plan, it's a bit more advanced than the HH one but should still be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Thanks for the advice Adrian. At the mo, I'm doing about 20 mi/week

• Advertisement

The secret to P&D is in the name of the book "Advanced Marathoning". You are probably better getting a couple under your belt and building up to a P&D plan or similar. They ramp up pretty quickly which obviously adds to the injury risk if you don't have the right base....IMHO.

+1 to the Boards Plan as a good halfway house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just did a 1.7 mile run, which was my first in a few weeks, and felt no pain in the shins, which is great. I'll keep at this distance for the next week to break back in gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi folks,

I just spotted this thread kinda by accident today, so I've been speed reading through all 19 pages of it.

Here's my story/plan:

What is your athletics background? Have you run before? What other sports have you taken part in and at what level?
    - I was a keen triathlete up until kids came along, done Galway 70.3 event in 2011, but since then have mostly stuck to cycling. I would do local 5/10k races near to me, but none this year so far.
    - No official times this year, but I can run 50 min 10km.
    I have run two half marathons, but that was back in 2010 and 2011 (1hr54 and 1.58)
    - No
    How much training do you currently do incl cross training? Distances, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    -Cycle twice a week, run once (8km), Gym work once/twice week
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - So the marathon has been on my bucket list for a long time now, it's time I put my focus into doing it. I am comfortable on the bike for long spins (4-8Hrs) and I think I can be mentally strong enough to train and complete the marathon. Hopefully this forum will spur me on. Just finishing will be good, but hey, let's aim for 4 Hrs.
    I have joined up with a training group organised by AKW in Galway. The program seems to be similar to HH. It is 22 weeks and started on Monday, so hopefully I'll succeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Chops1234

Yay my first post :-) Have been waiting on this thread to start. Some great info already. Thanks Dubgal.

Started the c25k in 2011 - ran the WMM and the 5mile in the Pheonix Park that year and then stopped.... For the last few years, I've been doing Kettlebell and TRX classes. Started running again last Sept.

25.01.15 Raheny 5 Mile 44:29
    07.02.15 Park Run 5k 25:43
    11.04.15 Great Ireland 10k 53:03

No

Run 4 times a week. Have been running 18-20 miles each week since the beginning of Jan. Longest run has been 10 miles (1:34:26) Felt fine after this. Have thankfully been injury free.

Dream finish time would be under 4:30. Would be delighted with that. Will be happy to finish it though without having to stop and walk.

Was planning on Hal Higdon Novice 2 but from reading here, I am wondering should I use Novice 1??

Looking forward to getting loads of tips and information from this – best of luck to everyone

BTW KM26 your 5k and 10k times suggest your unreasonable expectation is not so unreasonable if you find the right plan, build your endurance and stay healthy.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that PBs should matter at all (especially not other people's PBs). You're looking to complete it, not win it. (Those Kenyan lads have winning it all sewn up anyway :)).

The advice I've seen here and elsewhere is that you should be comfortably running around 20 miles a week, or capable of getting up to that before the plan starts.
    As you're running 3 times a week right now, you're likely to be there or there about.

If you have a look at the HH Novice 1 plan, the first few lsrs are relatively short, so depending on the plan you pick you can ease into the longer runs.

I know I shouldn't be comparing my PB's to others, esp as my goal would be to just finish it. I can worry about time in my next one.
    Yes, I would run roughly 18miles per week and run many 5k and 10k races in between.

Thanks so much for your advice, Phoebas!

adrian522 wrote: »
    My own opinion for what it's worth is this,

Don't worry about what your PB is. No matter what level you are running at there will always be people faster than you and always be people slower than you. So don't worry about that at all.

On the other point, have a think about why you want to do this marathon and what you hope to achieve in it. If you simply want to complete it, get around but not aim for a particular time I think you can do that with 4 months training.

If however you would like to complete the marathon to the best of your ability, you will have a much more enjoyable experience if you spend this year focusing on the shorter distances and come in 2016 for the marathon. This would mean you would have more of a running base built up and would be more able for marathon training and would be less likely to get injured.

I started running in 2012, spent 2013 training for and running the Dublin Half Marathon in September and came back in 2014 for the marathon. It's completely up to you but both a very valid ways of going about it I think.

Thanks so much for your advice, Adrian522. I am just looking to complete it this year - in no specified time. Thanks for clearing it up that I am not being completely unrealistic & training for a marathon from my level is doable in the 4 months.

I am still on the fence about the half Marathon - It would be great to get a feel for a half Marathon race before DCM to know what I'm getting myself in to. On the other hand,I really want to do DCM this year. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Thanks so much for your advice, Adrian522. I am just looking to complete it this year - in no specified time. Thanks for clearing it up that I am not being completely unrealistic & training for a marathon from my level is doable in the 4 months.

I am still on the fence about the half Marathon - It would be great to get a feel for a half Marathon race before DCM to know what I'm getting myself in to. On the other hand,I really want to do DCM this year. :(

Why not do the Dublin Half in September? I've done two halfs so far but I'm using the Dublin Half as part of the training.

There's also one in Charleville on the day after Dublin if that suits better, and it's supposed to be a very flat course. There are some hills that aren't pleasant in Phoenix Park if I recall correctly from the 10k I did there last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

the Dublin half takes place as part of DCM race series so I think you'd be better doing it than not doing it, its great race prep for taking gels, testing your pace finding your weak spots etc etc, there are a few other HM's in the run up to Dublin though like Athlone or Rock n Roll if you'd prefer to do it earlier than September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Firedance wrote: »
    the Dublin half takes place as part of DCM race series so I think you'd be better doing it than not doing it, its great race prep for taking gels, testing your pace finding your weak spots etc etc, there are a few other HM's in the run up to Dublin though like Athlone or Rock n Roll if you'd prefer to do it earlier than September.

I'm running the Rock 'n Roll half as part of my training plan. I thought about doing the DCM Half but felt it was too close to the Marathon for me. The half is going to be a big indicator for how I'm doing in my training and I will have time to change my approach/strategy if I need to.

• Advertisement

As others have said if you choose to do the marathon it makes sense to do some shorter races in the run up.

If you are based in Dublin the race series is good idea. They are great value and well organised. There is a 5 Mile (June), 10K (July), 10 Mile (August), Half Marathon( September). All apart from the 10K are in the Phoenix Park. Last year I did all other than the 10K as part of my build up.

chrislad wrote: »
    Why not do the Dublin Half in September? I've done two halfs so far but I'm using the Dublin Half as part of the training.

There's also one in Charleville on the day after Dublin if that suits better, and it's supposed to be a very flat course. There are some hills that aren't pleasant in Phoenix Park if I recall correctly from the 10k I did there last year.

Thanks to you both for your replies!
    Yes, I may do the half Marathon as part of my training.. Again, I'm not going to be focused on time in HM -mainly keeping a steady jogging pace.

As I've never run thy distance before it would be nice to get a feel for it and highlight what I need to focus on for DCM..

I am thinking I may do the Athlone HM, it is on Sept 12th so hopefully I should be up to HM level by then..

The boards plan has a HM at week T-6, which coincides with the Race Series HM, so it probably makes sense to do that or similar as part of your marathon preparation.

Its pretty daunting for people who have raced a HM before to attempt a marathon - twice the distance they've ever raced before. I can't imagine facing into a race that is 4 times my longest previous race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I was advised by a few people to do some half marathons before thinking of doing the marathon, to see if your mind and body can take it.
    I ran the Dublin series half marathon that last year as my first half marathon and loved it, it's a big race with a big race feel but thought it was well organised and great pacers (thank you 2hr people!). I did Limerick in May and have one in June and one in September.
    I'd do the Dublin one again this year only I have a wedding on, it's cheap as chips for a half marathon as well.

Definitely do a half marathon beforehand. It's a fair whack of a distance on its own. I did the DCM half last year and it was tough. Granted, I wasn't training for a marathon, I was only training for that half and I was ill prepared. It put manners on me and I enjoyed my next half much more knowing what I was facing. I'm now under no illusions that this marathon may kill me :P

There's also a 3/4 marathon in Athlone a few weeks before DCM2015, I'm planning on doing that as a training run before tapering begins.

http://www.athlone3quarter.com/

There's also a 3/4 marathon in Athlone a few weeks before DCM2015, I'm planning on doing that as a training run before tapering begins.

I love the tagline for that race - the "Eyeball The Wall" race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Are there many of those about the county? It wouldn't be a bad aim for me for next Spring if I could find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

this is a super race, I'd recommend it, I ran it at my LSR pace last year, I don't think there's another one Ronan but someone else might know more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

this is a super race, I'd recommend it, I ran it at my LSR pace last year, I don't think there's another one Ronan but someone else might know more on that.

Would you benefit from doing this race as part of your training plan for Dublin would most people generally do this too like the race series ?

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Would you benefit from doing this race as part of your training plan for Dublin would most people generally do this too like the race series ?

+1 to this event being a great way to get your last LR run in before taper. I think it normally has about 800/1000 entries with quite a few of those doing it as a training run for DCM. All going well I'll be doing it :)

Advertisement