Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I built a tool to test what speed you should be getting on the Eircom Network.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

ED E wrote: »
    If you went standalone youll have changed to a CRN from a circuit number and that'll be what prequals now.

Connect a handset and dial 199000 to get your active "number".

When i connect a phone to master socket its dead as a doornail
    Your best bet is to contact Vodafone directly and have them do a line test, it'll be more accurate and I think it's the only way you can do it, shame.
    https://www.vodafone.ie/utility/broadband/linecheck.shtml?perlico_areacode=###&perlico_number=#######

That's Vodafone's prequal api, try with that, just replace the first hashes with area code and second hashes with the rest of the number.

{"response":"No landline"}

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

My result below, is it good or bad?

47.7Mbps

Download HD movie in 4.5 minutes.

Youtube 2160p, Netflix Ultra HD, Twitch Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Bagenal wrote: »
    My result below, is it good or bad?

47.7Mbps

Download HD movie in 4.5 minutes.

Youtube 2160p, Netflix Ultra HD, Twitch Source.

It's a great speed for basically anything you could want to do on the internet, now go to http://speedtest.net/ what speed do you get there? they should be relatively close, and if not, there is something wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

It's a great speed for basically anything you could want to do on the internet, now go to http://speedtest.net/ what speed do you get there? they should be relatively close, and if not, there is something wrong

speedtest result:-

ping 39 ms

download speed 3.50 Mbps

upload speed 0.28 Mbps

More than likely this means your exchange supports VDSL but you are on an old ADSL profile, can you log into your modem and post the DSL statistics, details to login are on the bottom of the modem.

In any case I recommend calling Eircom on Monday, and saying "Your website says I can get 50mbps, but I am only getting 4mbps", and they will sort it out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

76Mbps, but with an attainable of 42Mbps. Wirelessly I get 37, wired 42.

76Mbps, but with an attainable of 42Mbps. Wirelessly I get 37, wired 42.

Hey Chuck_Norris can you post your line stats? also are you using Eircom eVision, and do you have filters on all of your phone jacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Hey Chuck_Norris can you post your line stats? also are you using Eircom eVision, and do you have filters on all of your phone jacks.

You should not need filters with efibre, the main pair will feed direct to the ntu and the phone sockets will all be filtered from there. If you need filters the engineer didn't do his job correctly

You should not need filters with efibre, the main pair will feed direct to the ntu and the phone sockets will all be filtered from there. If you need filters the engineer didn't do his job correctly

What if you're dealing with an older house?

What if you're dealing with an older house?

Same thing, the ntu must be fed before the phone sockets. This is why each install needs a home visit, the engineer must remove all bridge taps before the ntu

• Advertisement

Not using eVision. NTU is 612 metres from cab. No line faults. Attenuation, SNR are all where they should be. No errors.

Same thing, the ntu must be fed before the phone sockets. This is why each install needs a home visit, the engineer must remove all bridge taps before the ntu

So kinda like what I was describing here? I wasn't aware that they actually fix this for VDSL
    Yeah it doesn't matter if nothing is connected to it, but when you have more than one phone jack it can cause issues, the correct setup for multiple phone jacks and broadband is:
    Main Line into house -> filter/splitter -> ADSL jack.
                                            -> Phone jack -> Phone jack 1
                                                          -> Phone jack 2
                                                          -> Phone jack 3

Whereas most older homes do this:
    Main Line into house -> Phone jack 1 -> ADSL filter
                         -> Phone jack 2 -> ADSL filter
                         -> Phone jack 3 -> ADSL filter/splitter

And this really messes with the broadband.

Not using eVision. NTU is 612 metres from cab. No line faults. Attenuation, SNR are all where they should be. No errors.

Have you had any contact with Eircom over it? I mean the 70Mbps figure is coming from them directly, I don't know how they calculate it, but it seems to be fairly accurate for most people.

So kinda like what I was describing here? I wasn't aware that they actually fix this for VDSL

Yes, they fit a new ntu and verify there is no bridge taps (where possible)

Yes, they fit a new ntu and verify there is no bridge taps (where possible)

Awesome, that really helps, now I can rule out one possibility when trying to diagnose these issues, thanks for that.

Have you had any contact with Eircom over it? I mean the 70Mbps figure is coming from them directly, I don't know how they calculate it, but it seems to be fairly accurate for most people.

I haven't bothered to be honest. With the line being vectored, attainable of 42 would be about right on a 612 metre long line.

I haven't bothered to be honest. With the line being vectored, attainable of 42 would be about right on a 612 metre long line.

Ah right well if you ever do, please report back because reporting a sync of 80mbps and only having 42mbps attainable is a big discrepancy on Eircom's part.

really? im on a unvectored line, at around 1000m by foot (its also the same route cable takes) and sync at 50/15

Downstream line rate (kbit/s)50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s)15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 62572
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 22133
    Downstream SNR (dB) 13
    Upstream SNR (dB) 13.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.8

dazdrog wrote: »
    really? im on a unvectored line, at around 1000m by foot (its also the same route cable takes) and sync at 50/15

Downstream line rate (kbit/s)50176
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s)15360
    Downstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 62572
    Upstream attainable data rate(kbit/s) 22133
    Downstream SNR (dB) 13
    Upstream SNR (dB) 13.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.2
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 4.8

My reading of your stats would have your line being a fair bit shorter than 1000 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My reading of your stats would have your line being a fair bit shorter than 1000 metres.

14dB down is a fair bit for VDSL, I'd say 1km is accurate.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    14dB down is a fair bit for VDSL, I'd say 1km is accurate.

correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

vodafone prequal + your tool both say 47.7mbps

stats - i.imgur(dot)com/BVFNO9l.png

worth calling vodafone over? unsure about the SNR

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

X3Y2B7 wrote: »
    vodafone prequal + your tool both say 47.7mbps

stats - i.imgur(dot)com/BVFNO9l.png

worth calling vodafone over? unsure about the SNR

Prequals over estimating for you I'd say. SNRs are just above target and 18dB dAtten means your're a good 1400m+.

As long as its stable, dont touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Just a quick thank you. Was synced at 12mb. Ran the test. Showed I could do better. Contacted eircom and now have 15mb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

your app says i should get 4.88, speedtest says 0.88 download and 0.58 upload, speed of me says 0.91 down and 0.58 up

flutered wrote: »
    your app says i should get 4.88, speedtest says 0.88 download and 0.58 upload, speed of me says 0.91 down and 0.58 up

Post the stats from your modem

Your best bet is to contact Vodafone directly and have them do a line test, it'll be more accurate and I think it's the only way you can do it, shame.
    https://www.vodafone.ie/utility/broadband/linecheck.shtml?perlico_areacode=###&perlico_number=#######

That's Vodafone's prequal api, try with that, just replace the first hashes with area code and second hashes with the rest of the number.[/QU

i cannot connect to this number, i am told that it is not advailable

Post the stats from your modem

i can get into the modem no bother, it has the following headings, please tell me how to go about it, i am not very tech savvy, thanks in advance
    connection status networksettings security systm moniter and settings

i can get into the modem no bother, it has the following headings, please tell me how to go about it, i am not very tech savvy, thanks in advance

What modem? Someone with the same modem will post the path

• Advertisement

It would be under connection on most Zyxel modems.

Advertisement