Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I built a tool to test what speed you should be getting on the Eircom Network.

Options
  • 13-05-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Eircoms API is unstable at the moment, so it may or may not work - 09:30

Hey guys, I built this web app so that anyone on the Eircom network(Eircom, Vodafone, Magnet, etc.) could check what speed they should be getting to diagnose issues like congestion and to see if your provider incorrectly set your sync speed.

I posted this in a thread before and people found it useful, so I said I would make my own thread about it, for exposure, and bug reporting, and such. If I am breaking any rules with regards to spam or anything like that then I'm sorry and you can remove it, but I don't make any money from it and I genuinely think it's useful.

Also developers, I built a small JSON API that is faster than Vodafones, and much much easier to use than Eircoms. access it like this.
    https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/<number>

<number> being the phone number you want to test excluding spaces and brackets and the like.

Example Response:
    {
        "speed": 5.86,
        "sync": {
            "down": 6,
            "up": 0.5
        }
    }

I would really appreciate any feedback or any constructive criticism, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

{"speed": 95.4, "sync": {"down": 100.0, "up": 20.0}}

Though rates at 100/20 I'm getting 92/18.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Your router probably negotiated down as it found the sync unstable, but on Eircom's end you're at 100/20, now if it gave you back 100/20 and you are at 50/10, then something is wrong and you'd contact Eircom over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Likewise (the error), so it's not just my number or something dumb I did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

It says 47mb for me but I get 38mb!! Does the 47 actually mean 47?? i am with VF about 800m from the cabinet. I checked with VF a while back and they said there was a fault on the line, eircom called and checked it and said no fault. Apparently the cabinet is restricted to 50mb max!

• Advertisement

Eircoms API is down guys, that's what's causing the error.
    https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/###-#######/broadband/true

replace first hashes with area code, and second hashes with rest of phone number to check for yourself.

----

I have tweeted Eircom, lets see if they fix it in a timely fashion, this is kind of funny though, boards.ie hug of death.

Ok guys seems to be back up and running again, who knows how long it will last, I've customized the error page so people know it may be on Eircom's end if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

It tells me I should be getting 2.93Mbps but on speedtest.net I am only getting 1.77. It might not be much to some people but that 1Mbps would be a big improvement for me. I'm with Eircom - any suggestions on how to improve the speed?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MichealKenny the prequals indicate the *Best* the line can do, not what youll always be able to get and not what you'll see on a speed test. This should probably be made clear.

eg:
    15_1 prequal, may only be stable at 12_1 and a speedtest will show 10.5_0.9 due to link overheads.

or

20_1 prequal, users getting 3_0.3 sync and 0.5_0.3 on speedtests. On a radio exchange this is the expected result.

Its not quite as simple as "this is what you should get".

db wrote: »
    It tells me I should be getting 2.93Mbps but on speedtest.net I am only getting 1.77. It might not be much to some people but that 1Mbps would be a big improvement for me. I'm with Eircom - any suggestions on how to improve the speed?
    Thanks

With low speeds like that it sounds like what would happen if you weren't using filters on all of your phone jacks, also if the phone wiring is fairly old in the house it could be causing issues. You can request free filters from your ISP, just say you never got them. Also to help with interference, for us an Eircom engineer came out to the house and replaced the old cat 3 phone cable with cat5 ethernet because it's so cheap nowadays.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    MichealKenny the prequals indicate the *Best* the line can do, not what youll always be able to get and not what you'll see on a speed test. This should probably be made clear.

eg:
    15_1 prequal, may only be stable at 12_1 and a speedtest will show 10.5_0.9 due to link overheads.

or

20_1 prequal, users getting 3_0.3 sync and 0.5_0.3 on speedtests. On a radio exchange this is the expected result.

Its not quite as simple as "this is what you should get".

I understand completely, and that's why I don't give back full sync values on the web interface, for HSI I multiply it by 0.954 and for NGB & DSL I multiply by 0.977, these are the values Vodafone use for their prequal and for most people they are fairly accurate.

But I agree I should clarify that this is just a guideline and only contact your ISP if the results are way off.

Also, I kinda used my own experience to vouch for the calculations, because I live 4km from the exchange, hardly best case scenario.

4359012405.png
    ad70791f12.png

With low speeds like that it sounds like what would happen if you weren't using filters on all of your phone jacks, also if the phone wiring is fairly old in the house it could be causing issues. You can request free filters from your ISP, just say you never got them. Also to help with interference, for us an Eircom engineer came out to the house and replaced the old cat 3 phone cable with cat5 ethernet because it's so cheap nowadays.

New house with filter socket and new wiring. I had an engineer in recently to fix some problems caused by lightning and he checked the wiring.

db wrote: »
    New house with filter socket and new wiring. I had an engineer in recently to fix some problems caused by lightning and he checked the wiring.

db can you get your dsl stats from your modem? the details for logging into the modem should be on the bottom of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it says I can get 11.72meg, that's fairly close to my sync speed of 11.576meg.

db can you get your dsl stats from your modem? the details for logging into the modem should be on the bottom of it.
    345h6hz.jpg

You're configured for 2Mb at the exchange, get them to change up up to 3Mb, line can take it.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

ED E wrote: »
    You're configured for 2Mb at the exchange, get them to change up up to 3Mb, line can take it.

Got it brought up to 4Mb and now getting speed of 3.41:)
    He did say it might not be stable at this speed and it might need to be reduced to 3Mb but I'l happy to give it a go. Fantastic help guys, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

{"speed": 11.72, "sync": {"down": 12.0, "up": 0.66}}

Only ever get 7/8Mb on my android box that's connected to the router.

user2011 wrote: »

Only ever get 7/8Mb on my android box that's connected to the router.

Connected wired or wireless? Another possibility is you could be on an ADSL1 DSLAM but your exchange supports ADSL2+. please log into your modem and get the dsl statistics, the details to login should be printed on the bottom of the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Says I should be getting 28.62 but I'm getting less than half that
    {"speed": 28.62, "sync": {"down": 30.0, "up": 8.0}}

4359743450.png

Should I be calling Vodafone then?

Mc Love wrote: »

4359743450.png

Hi Mc Love, please post your DSL statistics by logging into your modem and taking a screenshot of them, my best guess is your exchange supports vdsl and they have you on adsl2+, if this is the case, you should definitely call them and ask to be moved up.

4359743450.png

You're on ADSL. Its quoting VDSL Speeds. Call them an order an upgrade to "fibre power".

I am on fibre :D

Are you sure, can you post your DSL statistics to verify that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Connected wired or wireless? Another possibility is you could be on an ADSL1 DSLAM but your exchange supports ADSL2+. please log into your modem and get the dsl statistics, the details to login should be printed on the bottom of the modem.

My set up is, crap eircom box > tplink > android box.

Since I went down this way I can't see sync stats on tplink.

Wirelessly for laptop phone I get solid 6/7

Are you sure, can you post your DSL statistics to verify that?

vdsl2_zpscspeyabx.jpg

Have phonewatch but I think that comes in on a different line, have filters on the other phone, and I'm about 1200m from the cab

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ah right well if it's wireless that's to be expected.
    vdsl2_zpscspeyabx.jpg

woah, I don't know enough about VDSL to see what's wrong here, only guess I could make is your upstream attenuation is below 10dB and I heard that can make stuff unstable, I'm not sure though, hopefully someone else will be more knowledgeable in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

4359799429.png

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2+
    Line Coding: Trellis On
    Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin (dB): 6.9 22.8
    Attenuation (dB): 33.5 15.4
    Power (dBm): 18.4 12.4