Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you beach body ready?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

I'm definitely beach body ready for summer in Ireland. I've got my gloves, boots, thick Goretex coat, high-vis jacket, hat and scarf to deal with the beauty that is the torrential rain, piercing cold and constant darkness that are all part of the Irish summer. My body is prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

realies wrote: »
    Love that ad with the fat man walking through the beach in his speedos, think it's a southern comfort ad, not a care in the world

Yeah let's all just watch this and chill the fcuk out

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I just couldn't see the problem with the original ad. The idea that we should ban these pictures in case someone has to look at a pictures of someone who is more attractive than them and gets upset is insane. Nearly all marketing is aspirational. Do we ban shampoo ads with pictures of ladies with long glossy hair in case someone who doesn't have such good hair gets upset? Ban makeup ads along the same lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I just couldn't see the problem with the original ad. The idea that we should ban these pictures in case someone has to look at a pictures of someone who is more attractive than them and gets upset is insane. Nearly all marketing is aspirational. Do we ban shampoo ads with pictures of ladies with long glossy hair in case someone who doesn't have such good hair gets upset? Ban makeup ads along the same lines?

People are getting fatter and don't want to admit it, Instead claim it's not actually proportional to the population. Leaving out the whole fact of the population as a whole is overweight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Zonda999 wrote: »
    For a start, the fact that society find images of the model like the one that appeared on the ad campaign, attractive is hardly nothing new is it? To me it seemed like somehow (From the moral outrage angle), that the ad was somehow "fat-shaming"?

as the number of fat people keeps on growing the number of people pissed off at seeing pictures of normal healthy people will also increase

social justice warriors love stuff like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Candie wrote: »

Go to a beach Germany and you'll see people of all ages and sizes letting it all hang out, which is exactly what everyone should be doing and enjoying the outdoors no matter what they look like.

Go to a beach pretty much anywhere and you'll see people of all ages and sizes letting it all hang out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Im in shape yeah, round is a shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

beks101 wrote: »
    Yeah let's all just watch this and chill the fcuk out

Loved that ad but you man has the look of a guy that probably was actually pretty built when he was younger (look at his shoulders etc) before the years of drinking possibly the sweetest drink you can buy took their toll.
    He's just relieving when he used to be beach body ready ;)

Loved that ad but you man has the look of a guy that probably was actually pretty built when he was younger (look at his shoulders etc) before the years of drinking possibly the sweetest drink you can buy took their toll.
    He's just relieving when he used to be beach body ready ;)

Yeah great legs too!
    I just love the swag, zero fUcks given like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

gramar wrote: »
    Go to a beach pretty much anywhere and you'll see people of all ages and sizes letting it all hang out.

exactly, beauties at the beaches in ireland or anywhere for that matter are few and far between
    From my experience , people with their shirts off at the beach don't seem to be any fitter on average than the people on city streets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

efb wrote: »
    Care to show us your beach body???

Get your pecks out for the girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

type 2 diabetes ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Yes I will be.. I've got my Byas body lift magic wand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

People are getting fatter and don't want to admit it, Instead claim it's not actually proportional to the population. Leaving out the whole fact of the population as a whole is overweight.

This is effectively it, unfortunately, its more important nowadays not to hurt someones feelings rather than calling it like it is and telling them that they're overweight and increasing their chances of an early death as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

But if there were no fatties around to put down, how would people feel better about themselves?

News just in:

Fat people don't know they're fat

Rain doesn't know it's wet

Pope doesn't know he's Catholic

For further updates log on to www.justtellingitlikeitis.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Candie wrote: »
    News just in:

Fat people don't know they're fat

Rain doesn't know it's wet

Pope doesn't know he's Catholic

For further updates log on to www.justtellingitlikeitis.com

True but people often don't know how much extra they are carrying, lots of people think they are just overweight when they are actually obese, thats what the issue is, not the focus on having a six pack or a thigh gap.

ps I know bmi is crude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

If you have a body you are ready!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

At least I'm real, not like the fake, plastic people in Made in Chelsea. Full of wires I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah jeez OP.. it's too early for complicated posts like this :( but I'll give it a shot...

.. almost stopped reading here. It's like AH Word of the Month (except it's going on much much longer than that!) or something. Is there a drinking game to go with this?

OK, still with you...

What do crisps have to do with this? I'm quite partial to the Buffalo flavour myself... as for the last line, it reminds me of that ad for some mobile game with the hot blonde - "Will you be my hero?" :)

Anyway, I'm still not sure how the question in the title relates to the content but (TL;DR) I have my six-pack.. I just opened mine is all!

Now back to waiting for the recovery guy to swap out a flat tyre (why is it that garages seem to almost weld the damn nuts on?) :(

The term "Misogyny" is a little strong.. I wanted to convey the fact that the campaign is objectifying the female form, and ultimately preying on female's to buy their "weight loss" product. I was in a hurry and used a word to convey those principles of the campaign.

Hunky Dorys ran a similar campaign a couple of year ago, with hot women dressed in sports team kits. The campaign was similar in the sense that the ads created a social media storm which was upgraded to a full-blown media inquest .. ching ching.

"Anyway, I'm still not sure how the question in the title relates to the content" .. The title of the post is the tag-line of the posters in the Protein World campaign, google it to see the poster.

With a name like Kaiser I am having difficulty imaging you not being able to change a tyre on your car. Perhaps its similar to those ironic nick-names.. like a 6 ft 7 inch giant being monikered "shorty"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Just finished a bottle of wine to take the edge off Tuesday night....

I am not beach bod ready

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

garra wrote: »
    "Anyway, I'm still not sure how the question in the title relates to the content" .. The title of the post is the tag-line of the posters in the Protein World campaign, google it to see the poster.

I haven't seen that ad campaign. I was thinking of a totally different advertisement for women's razors where the woman talks about being "beach body ready"... "down there"... to jump in the pool! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Is anyone on this thread outraged about the ad in question?

All I'm seeing is outrage about people, who apparently exist, that have expressed distaste in relation to the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'm outraged, I guess.

I dunno, I'm getting a bit of a storm-in-a-teacup buzz off this one.

I mean on the face of it, we're heading into "beach body ready" season. The shops have their summer kit in, people are booking their holidays, the sun is making the odd appearance, people are wearing less and becoming more body conscious, now's the time of year when the sometime fitness enthusiasts and yo-yo dieters among us will typically be trying to shed that extra stone or two to fit into a bikini or whatever - and the diet industry being as lucrative as it is, of course that's what any advertising firm worth their salt will be focusing on.

Should a clearly photoshopped and stretched and polished and brushed up professional model be the standard of what embodies 'beach body ready'? Well, no obviously not. But if any one of us on this thread takes a look around us right this second, it's pretty clear that sort of idea isn't exactly catching. More than half of us are overweight. Anyone who actually has a vested interest in their health, won't be looking at ads like this and feeling inadequate enough to complain about them, they'll be focusing on a healthy lifestyle that supports their immune system and vital organs and mental health and training schedule etc. They'll care more about keeping their blood pressure down, keeping their energy levels up, not getting cancer or Type 2 diabetes etc.

I've also found it interesting that I've seen the below ad on countless buses around central London since this whole thing blew up - and not a single push back from the public about it. It's just there like. A hot male prototype drinking a 'health' drink.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7NGWxjlSkGg/VTvCwSGmt_I/AAAAAAAAUxs/acK6Qx-zQrE/s1600/2015-04-25-02.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I mean on the face of it, we're heading into "beach body ready" season. The shops have their summer kit in, people are booking their holidays, the sun is making the odd appearance, people are wearing less and becoming more body conscious, now's the time of year when the sometime fitness enthusiasts and yo-yo dieters among us will typically be trying to shed that extra stone or two to fit into a bikini or whatever - and the diet industry being as lucrative as it is, of course that's what any advertising firm worth their salt will be focusing on.

Should a clearly photoshopped and stretched and polished and brushed up professional model be the standard of what embodies 'beach body ready'? Well, no obviously not. But if any one of us on this thread takes a look around us right this second, it's pretty clear that sort of idea isn't exactly catching. More than half of us are overweight. Anyone who actually has a vested interest in their health, won't be looking at ads like this and feeling inadequate enough to complain about them, they'll be focusing on a healthy lifestyle that supports their immune system and vital organs and mental health and training schedule etc. They'll care more about keeping their blood pressure down, keeping their energy levels up, not getting cancer or Type 2 diabetes etc.

I've also found it interesting that I've seen the below ad on countless buses around central London since this whole thing blew up - and not a single push back from the public about it. It's just there like. A hot male prototype drinking a 'health' drink.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7NGWxjlSkGg/VTvCwSGmt_I/AAAAAAAAUxs/acK6Qx-zQrE/s1600/2015-04-25-02.JPG

Its not inferring we should look like him tho

Is anyone on this thread outraged about the ad in question?

All I'm seeing is outrage about people, who apparently exist, that have expressed distaste in relation to the ad.

I don't know if anyone is outraged, I didn't open the thread to find out.

I was amused at the outcome of the outrage of others (ie increased sales for product) and also curious to see if posters could suggest other products which could be so handsomely promoted. All I got was Calgon and anti-anti-body-shamers.

efb wrote: »
    Its not inferring we should look like him tho

Ah ye should though, he's a ride.

• Advertisement

What is the product he is sucking?

Advertisement