Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you beach body ready?

Options
  • 11-05-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

So we live in an age where a carefully planned marketing campaign can generate megabucks for products which are probably of no great value, simply through the obnoxious misogyny of the campaign which generates social media storms which are then converted to mainstream media outlets... and then its "ching ching" for all concerned.
    Hunky Dory models in Ireland and now Protein tablets on the Tube in London, beautiful women making other women outraged, making the owners wealthy beyond belief.
    When will social media protagonists and campaign warriors work out whats happening here? What product will make you a millionaire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Archeron

Calgon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Bang and the dirt is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I don't like that expression. '(Are you) beach body ready'. I think it sounds like you're asking if someone is ready to be given a 'beach' body. Someone's going to hand you a body, a 'beach body' specifically. Without explaining what a 'beach body' is. Is it like a beach ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

garra wrote: »
    So we live in an age where a carefully planned marketing campaign can generate megabucks for products which are probably of no great value, simply through the obnoxious misogyny of the campaign which generates social media storms which are then converted to mainstream media outlets... and then its "ching ching" for all concerned.
    Hunky Dory models in Ireland and now Protein tablets on the Tube in London, beautiful women making other women outraged, making the owners wealthy beyond belief.
    When will social media protagonists and campaign warriors work out whats happening here? What product will make you a millionaire?

You shouldn't be giving it the oxygen of publicity here. It never crossed my mind for ages until you brought it up.

And I shouldn't be continuing the discussion, it might only encourage more publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Yes. Yes I am. Give me mine, now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't think you're ready for this jelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm beach ready, beached whale that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

I don't like that expression. '(Are you) beach body ready'. I think it sounds like you're asking if someone is ready to be given a 'beach' body. Someone's going to hand you a body, a 'beach body' specifically. Without explaining what a 'beach body' is. Is it like a beach ball?

Maybe that's why they had to display the "beach body", that explains it then. Thanks for clearing that up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah I never look as good as Beckham in his underwear, I should probably give it back to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Anyone shallow enough to think there is such a things as a "beach body" deserves to feel bad about themselves for not having one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Shut up and take my money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I salute anyone who can comprehensively out smart social justice warriors enough to manipulate them into transforming themselves into the vehicles of their messages and instruments of their will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Anyone shallow enough to think there is such a things as a "beach body" deserves to feel bad about themselves for not having one.

Hmmm beach body, I believe it's called sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

As a viewpoint on modern Western society, the whole ad campaign, subsequent moral outrage and supposed upsurge in sales for the product involved was an interesting one but the fundamentals of it are fairly obvious as far as I can tell

For a start, the fact that society find images of the model like the one that appeared on the ad campaign, attractive is hardly nothing new is it? To me it seemed like somehow (From the moral outrage angle), that the ad was somehow "fat-shaming"? (And I came across that phrase on a Daily "article" on the whole thing I might add). How so though? As a previous poster on the topic mentioned on the last thread on this on After Hours, what next? Will we see people protesting outside gyms and fitness centres because the people going to these places are somehow "fat-shaming also" by trying to improve themselves physically?

Secondly, about the supposed surge in sales of the product after the ad campaign, no one was forcing anyone to buy the product, make what you will of the people that bought the stuff, it was their own decision with their own money. Its almost as if the same people who took offense at the ad in the first place, were appalled that people bought into the idea that they might want to improve themselves physically, which I think is pathetic to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Love that ad with the fat man walking through the beach in his speedos, think it's a southern comfort ad, not a care in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Always raises an eyebrow with me lately that skin cream advertisement where the girlfriend asks her boyfriend -

"What age was your mum when she had you, 12?"

Hmm, yeah, not really the sort of "compliment" I'd like to be getting, even if I did have flawless skin :pac:

The money supermarket advertisement though with the guy walking down the street in short shorts and heels, caused as much outrage as it did praise. I reckon it's definitely up there as a marketing stroke of genius, ripe for setting social media alight, and no doubt they knew it too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In that case I'm ready. I look like I swallowed a beach ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I have my fred perries at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Is it like a beach ball?

Perhaps. Anyone could be "beach ball body" ready (for our 1 day of summer) by eating 5 packs of Hunky Dorys a day until the August bank holiday weekend.

I love that money supermarket advert. :) He owns those heels like a boss, never mind the booty action.

As for the whole 'beach body' crap, it kinda implies that anyone less perfect than the retouched models in the advert shouldn't been seen on a beach. People come in all shapes and sizes and the beach belongs to everyone, so feic them and their beach body crap.

Go to a beach Germany and you'll see people of all ages and sizes letting it all hang out, which is exactly what everyone should be doing and enjoying the outdoors no matter what they look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How do people even enjoy beach holidays? I went on one in my early 20's with an ex, and it was the most mind numbing boring unenjoyable holiday I have ever had. Going sitting on the beach, sand getting every where, sweating uncomfortably, having to apply lotion the whole time, increasing skin cancer risk, nothing to do except read some books but that was not enjoyable because of everything else.

When I'm at the beach, I swim, bodyboard, maybe surf. I can't lie on a beach doing nothing all day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes, if there was a beach at Belson.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mine is all set but only as in a found-in-the-second-scene-of-Jaws sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You know those photos you see on social media of chubby people wearing really inappropriate and revealing clothes at Walmart and being oblivious to that being bad? Yeah, I sometimes wish that I could be that laid back about my body, instead of feeling really self-conscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Body that looks good in a bikini/swimming shorts.. Not only in loose fitting black shapeless clothes with spanx underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

I was born beach body redy ;);)......
    Ahaha no I'm not I'm afraid :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Which beach? Probably not Youghal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

People worry so much but when you actually get to the beach there are all kinds of shapes and sizes with not a bother on them enjoying themselves. Nobody is taking any notice of you except for your own insecurities lying underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

I bet the bodice ripper is far from ripped

Advertisement