Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this time last year vs now

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

This time last year I was in a super stressful job that I hated, wondering what I was going to do from there to change things. Then my dad got sick, I quit the job to look after him and he died earlier this year. It's been a sad but cathartic 12 months. If I could have him back I would, but other than that I wouldn't change anything.

Last year my wife and I both turned 40. 20 of those spent together.

This year we had our first born, we've just brought her into bed with us as a treat - for us - so she's here gurgling and kicking between us.

Can't say we rushed into anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I've lost two family members in the 12 months. Both of them way before their time. Looking back, last year was the best year of my life because we were all still together. But of course I didn't think that at the time. We take everything for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

This time last year I was out of work due to redundancy for past year..not sure where the future of my family would be (wife and 3year old). Little did I know on the 16th may I would get offered a job that I had applied for a while back to start on the 23rd. Double the wage per week I used to get. Now I'm coming upto a year with them and I have saved a hell of a lot for savings and bought my wife a little car for herself out of the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

This time last year I was 5 months into a job (which I really like), was in OK shape but a heavy smoker, relatively broke, and in a relationship that was making me unhappy but I had convinced myself I wanted to be in.

Since then I've spent 10 months in the UK of a 12 month secondment, got the head down and nearly doubled my salary, am in better shape and have stopped smoking, still broke but have a lot nicer sh1t and 3 holidays booked, and got out of the aforementioned toxic relationship.

A very good year, but completely meaningless compared to the people who have recovered from cancer, had loved ones pass away etc.

I am incredibly lucky but I'll make the most of it. This year will be even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This time last year I was in Japan.

Now I am in Ireland. The family has settled in well, so that is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Im pregnant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

cruais wrote: »
    Im pregnant

Do you know the father?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I was quite down this time last year, unhappy in my job and unhappy with my health/weight. The winter was particularly bad...I think I was actually depressed looking back on it. But I've since started a new job which is going really well and is better for me in so many ways. I've also adjusted my diet and have been exercising 2-3 times a week. Nothing mad - I only wanted to do something that was maintainable. I've lost over a stone and feel pretty proud to be honest! I haven't been this weight since my school days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This time last year I had no hoverboard fast forward to well now and I still dont have a hoverboard. :mad:

When is society going to sort its priorities out, when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Spent the last year figuring out how to escape my current career. Haven't managed it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

This time last year I was miserable watching people hand up their thesis, and felt like I'd never be finished.

Now it's Dr. Whitewave, and I've started getting a life back that doesn't involve being stuck at a desk in college during all daylight hours! It's nowhere near as significant as people who've overcome health issues or have had to deal with bereavements...but it was a huge step for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Losing my job next month

Yay

Biggest change is I'm off the smokes so at least I'm healthier.......or more alive, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Better in some ways, worse in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

A year ago I was delighted with a promotion in work but I really don't think the stress of it all was worth it.

Very unhappy at the minute due to a hectec work and college life. I'm actually losing contact with my friends as I'm so busy which is wearing me down. Also my personal fitness has gone to hell and I once watched everything I ate and worked out every day. So on that basis I will be typing up my CV next week to get me through the next year.

Next year all should be great again. Finishing college, travelling the world and hope to start my own business at the end of that so roll on 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I suppose I'm better off as a whole..last year I couldn't drive,was unemployed and living at home.

Now I'm booking my driving test, have a job since june and no longer live at home.

However, my mother left my father in jan and has moved country..

So a bit up and down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

My gran was about to turn 97. Since then, she has passed away and was given peace after being in a lot of terrible pain for a long time - she had great innings and a great life.

Otherwise, nowt. Life has become very samey for me over the last three or four years. And that's good - infinitely better than bad sh-t happening. Some people have been put through hell. However, I'm working on changes as I was content for ages, but now feel like I'm in a rut, so I'm job-hunting, planning to put the gaff on the market, and making more of an effort to break the singledom, which was my preference for a long time but now I'd like the auld relationship experience again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Closer to God now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This year has been much better!

Left a job I hated and found a much better job, better position and money.
    Got engaged and really settled down.
    Seem to be less emotionally broken.
    Lost some people who upon reflection were terrible for me, hard at the time but honestly feel like there's been a giant weight lifted off me and has let me concentrate on what I have and I feel much better for it
    Made some massive life decisions and am happy about it
    Stopped drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

I've somehow managed to become even more handsome and charming. Every year I figure I must have maxed out, but no, on and on it goes, so that's nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Last year I was healthy and not sick, not so this year. :(

Advertisement