Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this time last year vs now

Options
  • 09-05-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Looking back over the past year, Has much changed for you? are you any better off, happier than you were this time last year or perhaps worse off?

Personally the past few months have seen quite a bit of momentum pick up for me. This time last year I was losing motivation to better myself after a few disappointments and that carried on for a few months until eventually I stopped playing the martyr and pushed myself in a new direction. It's worked for me personally and made me a better person, way outside the comfort zone of the person 12 months ago. Over the year I have come on quite a bit, it was a real "moving on" period. Doors closed and opened simultaneously. These times werent without difficulty and for a while I felt completely lost, but those around me and my own gut instinct pulled me through. Im glad of some of the decisions I've made. You?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

I am still above ground, everything else balances on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Not sure really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I cant unkill her! leave me alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Chicken Curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Personally the past few months have seen quite a bit of momentum pick up for me. This time last year I was losing motivation to better myself after a few disappointments and that carried on for a few months until eventually I stopped playing the martyr and pushed myself in a new direction. It's worked for me personally and made me a better person, way outside the comfort zone of the person 12 months ago. Over the year I have come on quite a bit, it was a real "moving on" period. Doors closed and opened simultaneously. These times werent without difficulty and for a while I felt completely lost, but those around me and my own gut instinct pulled me through. Im glad of some if the decisions I've made. You?

By any chance did you spend the last 12 months reading self help books that thought you lots of annoying clichés?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

No change, older now though. Worse overall, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

my cat's breath smells like cat food

Looking back over the past year, Has much changed for you?

The little ball of general hatred that dropped out of one of my girlfriends has become a little person with 7ish teeth and a personality that he seems only to express through the words "tractor" and "doggie". His whole world appears to be divided into tractors and doggies in fact. Which gets difficult when you present him with something sensible - such as dinner.

As with most boring parents I think you asked the wrong question. We tend to remember the last year in meticulous boring detail :) Ask us about the year before :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Moved back home to Dublin, got a job within a week of moving back that is 6 minutes from home. Lost a good bit of weight and feel better. If I manage to stop smoking ill be delighted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

The little ball of general hatred that dropped out of one of my girlfriends has become a little person with 7ish teeth and a personality that he seems only to express through the words "tractor" and "doggie". His whole world appears to be divided into tractors and doggies in fact. Which gets difficult when you present him with something sensible - such as dinner.

As with most boring parents I think you asked the wrong question. We tend to remember the last year in meticulous boring detail :) Ask us about the year before :)

How many are you entertaining?

The same two as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

By any chance did you spend the last 12 months reading self help books that thought you lots of annoying clichés?

I had to rely on them to avoid going into personal details :-)

I need a "this time every year" thread because "it is coming up again"

And I am going to lose again. I know I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This last year we cut throats of heathen dogs.
    This year we eat food of their mothers.

Pedigree Chum? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Everything is absolutely ****ed !!!!

catallus wrote: »
    Everything is absolutely ****ed !!!!

v now or that was v then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I am just me. Just the same really.

A lot of bad stuff has passed over. Serious family illness. I had a seizure in Jan. It's over I guess. I am here. So I suppose I am glad that stuff is behind rather than in front of me.

I think it's all attitude really.

No matter where you are at in the end it's still just you. Same blessings same crap. Or different blessings different crap.

I am lucky to still have my Dad. I have my mom my brother my dog.

I have my me. I am pretty special. :-)

We have this tradition in my circle of friends on New Years....we sit in a circle and ask the question '2014 sorry to see it go or happy to see it leave?' He makes us answer it seriously one by one every year. Last NY he couldn't be there and another friend was 'chosen' to ask. My brother and I were kind of more looking forward to the NY as my Dad being sick was tough. A few days later I was in hospital...i told the Nurse I was adamant this year was going to be MY YEAR!. She said 'That's what they all say love'. Loads of people just get year after year of crap.

Just because bad stuff is behind you doesn't mean more bad stuff isn't in front.

I just do what I always do ME ...the best advice I ever have had ....DO YOU.

The friend who was 'chosen ' visited me in hospital. He also has read the first half of the book i am writing. He LIKED IT! Another friend who has a phd in English did too. My Dad is doing much better. This time last year we heard the news (shudders).

I can't pretend I know what I am doing. I am winging it. I am just doing me. I'm the same. I can't pretend I made any great choices. I don't know what I am doing.

I am hoping this year is better. I can't control everything. I feel very lucky to be surrounded by wonderful people.

Sorry to be sentimental.

• Advertisement

But lets say i am feeling very lucky and positive. Come on summer is coming! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm still alive. Everything else is just irrelevant guff that will be lost in the annals of time and remembered only by me and those closest to me.

We have this tradition in my circle of friends on New Years....we sit in a circle and ask the question '2014 sorry to see it go or happy to see it leave?'

I do a silly thing a little the same with my daughter. Or at least I plan to do it in the future. The night before her 3rd birthday I showed her herself in the mirror and said "This is the end of 2 year old you.... what do you wanna say" and in the cutest way she just went "Bye bye youuuuu".

When I did it again on her 4th birthday she had a lot more to say. She said "Bye bye "tree-mee" - but dont forget - you like mermaids - and they like you!!"

"tree mee if you did not guess was "three year old me"

I do a silly thing a little the same with my daughter. Or at least I plan to do it in the future. The night before her 3rd birthday I showed her herself in the mirror and said "This is the end of 2 year old you.... what do you wanna say" and in the cutest way she just went "Bye bye youuuuu".

When I did it again on her 4th birthday she had a lot more to say. She said "Bye bye "tree-mee" - but dont forget - you like mermaids - and they like you!!"

"tree mee if you did not guess was "three year old me"

OMG god .... I get it ....:-) She will be an angel for life!

I can never forget that I am really a faery!I think you have your core self. Your soul.

She is adorable. You are such a sweet mom!

I am the dad :p

I am kinda worried what she will do to say good bye to 4 year old her. She has turned into a weird pre school teen this year. Obsessed with matching colored clothes and the like. Obsessed with Princesses and even more so with mermaids.

The good bye ceremony will be interesting in august. I cant wait to see what she says good bye to. I hope it is as cute :)

I am the dad :p

I am kinda worried what she will do to say good bye to 4 year old her. She has turned into a weird pre school teen this year. Obsessed with matching colored clothes and the like. Obsessed with Princesses and even more so with mermaids.

The good bye ceremony will be interesting in august. I cant wait to see what she says good bye to. I hope it is as cute :)

Oops sorry.great Dad!..I know it will be. I hope she has a lovely birthday!

Too soon to say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I had to rely on them to avoid going into personal details :-)

I'm like Joe Duffy on the Savage Eye, it's the personal misery details that I get off on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Nipple clamps and all Arsemageddon ?

• Advertisement

Nipple clamps and all?

Nah they make people happy not miserable! :-P

Advertisement