Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland becoming most obese country in Europe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

king size bag of fruit pastels, big box of maltesers and a box of thorntons chocloates to the right of me as its friday

I look to my left and there are 2 small m&s buckets of truffles

hapy friday peeps FFS

Have you monitored how much people are taking? Haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Yes, "diet" is a very loaded word these days. Nutrition is probably more appropriate.

Ann and Barry had scones with jam every night for tea and never got fat.

So unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Just finished watching 'Fed Up'. So, pizza is a vegetable eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

maggz26 wrote: »
    In my opinion, I agree that the obesity epidemic in Ireland is a huge issue, since I was a child myself. I am now in my early 30's and what I have seen today compared to when I was younger has changed rapidly. I believe that the reason for this is because people themselves have allowed this to happen by not exercising as much as they should which is a required form of exercise on a daily basis, if this changes maybe then we can see results.

Nope, not really. Kids are less active today then when you and I were kids, but that's not enough to explain the levels of obesity that we see. Watch "Fed Up"; the type of food available to young people today is far worse than it used to be. Far more sugar, far more convenience food, far less home cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Have you monitored how much people are taking? Haha

I have been monitoring this all afternon. The treats were for our team yet I have witnessed several non team members taking some.

bluewolf wrote: »
    can i have the truffles

Must be nice, one bucket is gone already :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you should charge them

My child is almost 7 and walks every morning with me to school and walks with the childminder to the afterschool

weekends we walk everywhere or it brings its micro scooter.......

Did you just call your kid an it? That's gas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

syklops wrote:
    Also, it is a little shocking when you go into a shop and there is an entire aisle dedicated to chocolate, and half an aisle for food for dinner. My local Spar is a regular culprit. One aisle for chrisps, one aisle for chocolate and one aisle for all the ingredients they sell for dinner, so pasta, rice, sauces, flour oils etc are all squeezed into this one area. If what they stock represents whats sells most its no surprise we are growing in size.

Well it is spar... They're not exactly supermarkets. Look at supervalu and tesco would be more in line with where people do a large shopping and they consist mainly of dinner foods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

king size bag of fruit pastels, big box of maltesers and a box of thorntons chocloates to the right of me as its friday

I look to my left and there are 2 small m&s buckets of truffles

If Steeler's Wheel worked in an Irish office...

Did you just call your kid an it? That's gas :pac:

for personal information reasons I like to keep the gender of my child undisclosed.

for personal information reasons I like to keep the gender of my child undisclosed.

I bet it's either a boy or a girl.

Am I right?

Do I win a truffle?

Oh right. Fair enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Junk food is a retailers dream. Its portable, cheap and can stay on the shelves for months.

Good food is cumbersome, relatively expensive, labour intensive and has a terrible shelf life.

Perhaps subsidized cooked meals would help. The Hot food counters at the Spar and petrol garages could all be used to offer subsidized healthy meals.

I see the hot food section at the Chinese grocer at Jervis St doing a great trade, only charging 5 euro for a main with boiled rice...

I bet it's either a boy or a girl.

Am I right?

Do I win a truffle?

Thats quite freaky, you have managed to narrow it down :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

syklops wrote: »
    There was a thread here a while back started by a guy who was visiting the gym regularly but couldn't lose any weight. He ate healthily he said. He later shared that his dinner most nights was one or two burgers along with 8 or 9 boiled potatos. Him not losing any weight despite following the guidelines were a mystery to him.

If the 7 percent of the population who are actually reading and learning whats taught about nutrition but the information is wrong or lacking then of course theres going to be problems.

Also, it is a little shocking when you go into a shop and there is an entire aisle dedicated to chocolate, and half an aisle for food for dinner. My local Spar is a regular culprit. One aisle for chrisps, one aisle for chocolate and one aisle for all the ingredients they sell for dinner, so pasta, rice, sauces, flour oils etc are all squeezed into this one area. If what they stock represents whats sells most its no surprise we are growing in size.

Why is it a shock when there is an aisle dedicated to chocolate??
    Supermarkets ,shop etc are businesses and will sell whatever gives them the best return.And not everyone wants or likes to live a regimented life where only healthy food is eaten.I eat healthily myself and work our regularly but also like to eat chocolate and the so called demon foods.It will be a sad day when you cant walk into a supermarket and dont have the chocolate,crisps,popcorn etc aisle.The world woudl be a boring place if everyone ate kale,lettuce and eggs all day every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Your class doesn't determine if you're going to be fat, it's just the case that people living around the poverty line are more likely to be eating unhealthily, therefore more likely to be overweight.

It's also the case that people simply don't have a clue what to do with fresh ingredients. I eat healthy and I get really bored of rotating chicken/fish and salads/steamed veg every other night. I should really learn how to put ingredients together better to give myself more variety. But I'm lazy. :)

Now think of the working class mother feeding a husband and 3 kids while holding down a full time job, it's simply easier to stick on a frozen pizza one night, burgers the next, hot dogs the night after that and so on.

In this day and age the husband should be cooking as well.
    It is laziness pure and simple. Fat people are too lazy to cook, they don't really value food or nutrition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Fat people are too lazy to cook, they don't really value food or nutrition.

This is just ridiculously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

My child is almost 7 and walks every morning with me to school and walks with the childminder to the afterschool

weekends we walk everywhere or it brings its micro scooter

We have a car but I refuse to drive it for anything less than an hour walk away.

swimming lessons on a saturday morning and karate during the week

Its pretty disgraceful to have an overweight child if there is not a medical underlying medical problem.

So many parents are not active themselves so any excuse to spend a weekend on the couch posting **** selfies with their fat flump watching dvds as its too "cold" to be outside

then when they do go out -selfie of them stuffing their faces in kfc or whereever with the tagline, sure why not, my baby deserves the best

breakfasts consists of some high sugar **** cereal, fizzy drinks during the day and macdonalds before bed. coupled in with bags of "crips" as a snack until sloth fest at kfc later

what are we talking about again?

Is it normal to refer to child as "it"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Treat days in schools for lunches should be banned.

Gives kids the impression that its OK to eat crap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Treat days in schools for lunches should be banned.

Gives kids the impression that its OK to eat crap
    It is ok to eat crap, if it's truly a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Well it is spar... They're not exactly supermarkets. Look at supervalu and tesco would be more in line with where people do a large shopping and they consist mainly of dinner foods

Go into your local tesco and they have aisles of junk food as well. The main difference is the aisles are much larger.

Also yes, people do large shops in the likes of tesco. SO why is Spar always so busy? Because people suplemment their large shop with shopping in Spar and the likes. And what do they buy? From what I can tell, biscuits and crisps mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Our local tesco changed the sweets at the checkouts to popcorn and nuts and lighter stuff, which is cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

This is just ridiculously stupid.

Is it indeed. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

'Or they bring their scooter' might've worked better!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The great thing about shops is you don't actually have to buy the junk food options.

AFAIK, all Tescos have removed the sweets from around the checkouts, Ms Wolf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

The great thing about shops is you don't actually have to buy the junk food options.

AFAIK, all Tescos have removed the sweets from around the checkouts, Ms Wolf

This is true.

However, their new methods are arguably worse than before and have proven to encourage the consumption of alcohol, cigarettes and drugs.

A proven study has shown that 7/10 customers have been driven to drink/smoke/use illegal substances as a stress reliever to be doing that there is an 'unexpected item in the bagging area' consistently at every visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

That fed up film was really interesting. Isn't it strange that I hadn't thought of cigarette campaigning being the same as fast food campaigning? But alarmingly, they are so similar especially in relation to how attitudes shifted. It's scary how much power these companies hold in America and how far they are willing to go to protect their interests. It makes me wonder how much power they have here? The thing of sweets at checkout is deplorable as well. I imagine it makes shopping a nightmare for parents. I know they can just say no but it still creates hassle when they are trying to focus on getting bags packed etc. Pretty sure Dunnes still have sweets at the checkouts and I've even seen them in Boots. I mean having sweets in pharmacies and clothes shops is just lunacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Isn't it strange that I hadn't thought of cigarette campaigning being the same as fast food campaigning?

I thought that was a very clever argument to make and I'm surprised it never occurred to me either.

Advertisement