Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solpadeine addiction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, that explains why I got 20 questions in Boots when I went to get some last month, to have on hand in case I get toothache again. The last box was decimated by people at work, me replying to mass emails asking "anybody got any painkillers?" :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Nothing worse thatn dying with a toothache on a weekend or bank holiday and then getting interrogated trying to get some neurofen plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Men get period pains too you know - they're called ear aches.
    :D

The questioning must be a pain for the pharmacy staff too - they have to do it though since that measure was brought in, not just doing it for the craic.

Isn't Nurofen Express (max strength) codeine-free? I get that usually (obviously no use to people who have an intolerance for ibuprofen).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

If you tell a pharmacist that you are only buying them to take a half, for when your piss wont come out when you are on Ez, will they give them to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

JG009 wrote:
    If you tell a pharmacist that you are only buying them to take a half, for when your piss wont come out when you are on Ez, will they give them to you?
    Is that how you fix it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

is anymore still awake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

libelula wrote: »
    Not everyone who gets addicted to codeine is a 'junkie'. The vast majority who do are regular people whi were unfortunate enough to have gotten addicted to it after a short course of usage. It has nothing to do with trust, and a bit of tolerance and understanding goes a long way.

They ruined it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Why is caffeine included though? I think it makes the drugs work better or summat.

So why not exclude caffeine, and leave the codeine!

Double addiction sorted, only one left!

Caffeine increases the absorption of the pain killers making them more effective.

KungPao wrote: »
    Partly marketing gimmick/partly to give a hungover sick person a boost, I'd say.

I imagine the amounts of caffeine are fairly low in these pills, compared to a bottle of Jolt cola, remember that? Lethal stuff.

Panadol extra contains 65mg of caffeine which is the same as a cup of tea/coffee

:D

The questioning must be a pain for the pharmacy staff too - they have to do it though since that measure was brought in, not just doing it for the craic.

Isn't Nurofen Express (max strength) codeine-free? I get that usually (obviously no use to people who have an intolerance for ibuprofen).

Nurofen Express was designed to fill the gap between ordinary Nurofen which is fine for ordinary pain and Nurofen Plus which should only be used for severe pain which has not responded to anything else. It starts to work within 10 minutes because of how it is formulated.

is anymore still awake?

Seems like nowhere was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I spent some time working on US army bases in Iraq. I had a bad headache one day so went into the PX (Shop) on base and picked up a bottle of 100 painkillers for 5 dollars.

Did not know feck all about different painkillers. Used to just taking two tablets for a headache as you do.

Turned out they had 60mg of codeine in them each. Needless to say I did not have a headache any more. I was off my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Seems to me like some people just have an extraordinarily low tolerance for pain and go reaching for the auld drugs the second they feel anything at all. Now don't get me wrong - I'm not the type to suffer for no reason and I've slipped discs and torn ligaments and had all the usual painful shít over the years but I've only ever needed painkillers for a few days, maybe a week at the absolute worst.
    You need to feel some pain when you're injured or you'll continually aggravate it and prolong the whole thing. Popping pills every time you have a slight headache is madness. If you get headaches every 2 days there is something wrong - see a doctor, don't just reach for the panadol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Seems to me like some people just have an extraordinarily low tolerance for pain and go reaching for the auld drugs the second they feel anything at all.

And whats wrong with this? Why suffer a headache when you can take a painkiller? I just dont understand this mentality. Ive a very busy life. I have to work, study, go to the gym, etc.... I havent got time to be debilitated by a headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I take them when I get headaches mainly because nothing else works as quickly as the soluble Solpadene do.

That explains your aggression so

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

MrWalsh wrote: »
    And whats wrong with this? Why suffer a headache when you can take a painkiller? I just dont understand this mentality. Ive a very busy life. I have to work, study, go to the gym, etc.... I havent got time to be debilitated by a headache!

There's nothing wrong per se, other than we are generally supposed to be pain free. If you are getting recurring headaches it's a sign that something is not right - the smarter solution is to address the problem, not mask the symptom do you not think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It dawned on me recently that Americans can't seem to taker a few headache tablets without having to do a month in Betty Ford - personally I don't see how you could get addicted by something that doesn't make you dance, be hilariously funny and attractive to the opposite/ same sex or otherwise have a mad buzz but that's just me.

Perhaps the cunning plan of asking people questions and only allowing them buy one pack at a time has worked?

Sure Americans instantly label themselves alcoholics if they get too drunk once on a night out.

They just love the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I don't tend to take painkillers but took ONE Solpadol for bad arthritis pain once and was almost walking into walls. Left me with a hangover like feeling for a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

There's nothing wrong per se, other than we are generally supposed to be pain free. If you are getting recurring headaches it's a sign that something is not right - the smarter solution is to address the problem, not mask the symptom do you not think?

I get a headache around 4 or 5 times a year. I havent 50 quid to go to the doctor because I have a headache!!

But it can depend on a myriad of things, stress, muscle tension, eye strain, having a cold etc... So there could be a period where Id have a headache on and off for a week and not consider seeing a doctor. But I still wouldnt suffer the headache, Id take something for it.

I think adults can decide for themselves what needs a doctor and what needs OTC meds.

I dont agree that we are generally supposed to be pain free. I have pain almost daily from various previous injuries or new ones or known conditions or just the fact that Im getting older. Thats the human condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I don't tend to take painkillers but took ONE Solpadol for bad arthritis pain once and was almost walking into walls. Left me with a hangover like feeling for a couple of days.

I'm very curious about this because I see it said so often. Have you ever taken 2 Nurofen plus at once and did it create the same or close to the same feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Caliden wrote: »
    Sure Americans instantly label themselves alcoholics if they get too drunk once on a night out.

They just love the drama.
    It's their puritan wasp roots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

It dawned on me recently that Americans can't seem to taker a few headache tablets without having to do a month in Betty Ford - personally I don't see how you could get addicted by something that doesn't make you dance, be hilariously funny and attractive to the opposite/ same sex or otherwise have a mad buzz but that's just me.

Perhaps the cunning plan of asking people questions and only allowing them buy one pack at a time has worked?

sorry are you saying you know someone who has been addicted to ecstasy. Anyway codeine is a opiate. Withdrawal symptoms include very persistent migraine and general cravings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I take them once a month for one day only just for my period. I don't take them for headaches. I think once you don't take them for longer than 1 day and never take more than the dosage that's ok.

Some people don't take the instructions seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

So many people I know call it "Solphadeine" so I always thought there was a "H" in there. Not exactly on the topic of addiction but there's my learning of something new for the day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

scdublin wrote: »
    So many people I know call it "Solphadeine" so I always thought there was a "H" in there. Not exactly on the topic of addiction but there's my learning of something new for the day!

I'm open to correction on this but I think it might have been previously called "solphadeine."

Are you sure it's not the Irish tendency to pronounces "H's" where they're either silent or not there at all? "Heighth", "Thighland" "aggrethive." Last one might be Mike Tyson rather than Irish people, I forgeth.

kjl wrote: »
    sorry are you saying you know someone who has been addicted to ecstasy. Anyway codeine is a opiate. Withdrawal symptoms include very persistent migraine and general cravings.

I know someone on another board who insists her boyfriend was addicted to ecstasy and it is in fact a very addictive drug.

These people spoil things for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

This website might help people who are addicted and want to quit: http://solpadeinehelp.wikidot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Chloris wrote: »
    Is that how you fix it!

Supposedly it works. Green tea tablets could also work, wont be able to give you a sure answer until the festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I've never really been bothered taking pain killers. A girl in my college used to take Solpadine every morning. She used to have the tablets along with her coffee as soon as she got in. I rarely take them. Until I had my daughter when I was 28, I don't think I ever got a headache unless it was a self inflicted hangover! Now I suffer from mild migraine so I just take one paracetamol or a disprin and that's it and it usually works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I take codeine for migraines, usually in the form of migraleve, or if I am all out of that, neurofen plus or solpadeine. I get migraines 4 - 12 times a year. The only other time I've taken it in my adult life was after my wisdom tooth removal. When I was in my teens I had to take it for period pain, but going on the pill helped a lot with that.

I would never take codeine for a hangover, it's too important to me that I don't build up a tolerance to it. I try to get through the bad ones without tablets or with paracetamol at a push... I once got the lecture about how much strain you put on your liver by taking tablets when you've already overdone it on booze.

To be honest, I don't mind being asked the questions by a pharmacist because once I tell them I suffer with migraines and need to keep a box in work or whatever, they're generally really understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

sabat wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but I think it might have been previously called "solphadeine."

SOLuble PAracetamol & coDEINE

Unless it used to be spelled pharacetamol, I'm pretty sure the h is just like the second 's' in Tesco

Advertisement