Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solpadeine addiction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I suffer bad from one-sided migraines, can be literally in bed in the dark for two solid days. The only painkiller that works is solpadeine - anything else I would have to take 4 of and lie down just to take the edge off! :eek: I'm pregnant now, and obviously can't take them, same as with my daughter. I never had any issue coming off them, and only really missed them on one occassion this time around, where I was crippled for three days with a migraine and had to get my mum to mind the baby.

My mum actually had a severe addiction to them. Would get up and take 4 in the morning just to start the day. But once it was pointed out to her, she stopped and all she takes now is soluble panadol extra when she needs it.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I saw some night time chat show on TV3 where there was some woman talking about her harrowing solpadeine addiction. Went on for about 20 mins with her rabbiting about the side effects and that now she was on anti depressants and the solps were to self medicate for her mental health. Alarm bells rang hal way through when she said that she was taking one soluble solpadeine in the morning. That was her daily intake, 8mg of codeine. Within a minute of the end one of the presenters asked how long she was addicted for. 1 month! 1 f*cking month! 8mg of codeine (that's about .08 mg of morphine when the liver converts it) and they were talking about it like it was intravenous heroin use. And policy is drawn up for these feckin morons. God help her if she ever has morphine or oxys for serious pain, she'll never come back from the dark side.

In England you can walk in and ask for an identical unbranded product to solpadeine (Co codamols) and get it for less than 2 pound with no bitching about it from the chemist. Of course the govt doesn't trust Paddy with access to that kind of affordable medication so the generic here is a fiver and you need to be told that opiates might cause addiction. The very fact that everyone here is talking branded products like Solpadol, Tyler and Kapake is proof of how well pharmaceutical companies do out of Ireland. Codeine has been off patent for over 100 years and they're still pushing the branded stuff at 6 or 7 times the price on patients.
    I'm a pharmacist in the UK and they have the same restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yeah, my dad is totally addicted. Takes about 6 Maxilief (generic paracetamol & codeine) every single day. The paracetamol is actually the bigger worry for me as he's a heavy drinker too.

My brother also once knew a woman who was so addicted to Solpadeine she came home from a two-week holiday early because she'd gone through her supply by the fourth day and opiate painkillers weren't available OTC in the country she was in.

Thats the danger with long term abuse of otc codeine products. It's the other ingredients which cause the damage. Mixing that much paracetamol with alcohol can't be good :( Over here, products containing it have a warning on them saying not to take them at all if you drink more than 4 drinks a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

Calibos wrote: »
    Its strange, I'm a casually dressed (some would say scruffy looking :D ) mid twenties looking 41 year old with a blade one haircut who never gets interrogated anymore in several pharmacies and yet my 67 year old father (albeit looks about 50) gets interrogated every time. I don't even get the short lecture about the 3 days thing. Just get asked "12 or 24?".

Long before the new regulations came in I had recognised myself that they were a mood enhancer. ie. not alone would my headache disappear but I'd be in a better happier mood than could be explained by the headache being gone.

So while I recognised that there was a valid reason for the new regulations because of abuse potential it still rubbed me the wrong way that the majority of sensible users might be inconvenienced by the need to protect the minority of gobsh!tes who abuse them.

Just before the regulations I had a wisdom tooth out and suffered a dry socket. Extremely painful. I quickly ran out of the prescription for 30mg codeine containing Difene. I went to the chemist and got both Solpedene and Nurofen+ and took the allowed daily intake of both (4x 2 Caps) offset from each other by 2 hours. ie. Paracetamol separated from next dose by 4 hours and same for Ibuprofen. But getting 25mg of codeine every 2 hours if you get me. In other words, double dosing on Codeine. This went on for 10 days. I knew to expect a rebound withdrawl headache from the Codeine and just took regular Nurofen and took to my bed on day 11. That was it. One withdrawl headache. Right as rain the next day. The gobsh!te addicts just refuse to suffer that one day withdrawl headache. It made sense to me that one all day withdrawl headache but almost painless 10 days with dry socket was better than a very painful 10 days with dry socket but no withdrawl headache at the end.

Running into the same kind of issue of the gobsh!tes ruining it for the majority with Xanax prescriptions for anxiety. Its the most abused benzo because its the most widely prescribed benzo. Its also abused by illicit stimulant users to help them come down. Its also more likely to be abused by alcoholics. However, the vast majority of users not only use it responsibly but without prompting by their doctor, down regulate their own usage to an 'Only as needed' level. The risk of addiction and major withdrawl kicks in for the majority when taking 1mg 3 or 4 times a day every day for about 4 weeks. A bad week for me is needing to take a single 0.25mg 2 days in a row or taking 3 in the space of a week. Never needed to take more than one in a day. My prescription for 14x 0.25mg lasts me on average 2 months. I still get a fcuking lecture every time I need a new script.

It's also the most abused because it has a short half life with a quicker onset and more off a high than diazepam(valium) which is more gradual onset but it has a longer half life. That's the reason they prescribe it because it's short acting so out of your system quickly. The anxiety rebound effect is worse from xanax because of this also if used regularly. Of course you get a lecture benzos are one of the most addictive things on the planet. Benzo withdrawals are described as worse than heroin withdrawals by people who come off both and they are potentially fatal if not done in a tapered way(when used everyday for a long period withdrawals). I think it's important to put the correct information out there for people reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I'm a pharmacist in the UK and they have the same restrictions.

You have to have products containing codeine hidden from view? You certainly didn't the last time I was in a British pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    You have to have products containing codeine hidden from view? You certainly didn't the last time I was in a British pharmacy.

Actually, this is the least if it really. Can you still get 200mls of linctus for between 2 and 2 pound? Here you can only get branded, 100ml for between 6 and 7 euro! Cheapest co-codamol is a 5 euro for a pack of 24 here, it's around 2 pound for 32 generics in Britain. It's not so much the restrictions, it's the licensing. There is no justification for those prices when we're talking about chemicals that are a hundred years old and cost a pittance to synthesise or extract.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I didnt like the way they made it harder to get. Im the kinda guy thatd get these pain killers, to have'em about for when im gonna need them. Never understood why someone would wait till they needed them to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Got a pack of 24 there a couple of weeks ago as advised by dentist after some heavy treatment.

No problems getting it, as I had the receipt from the dentist! Not a scrip. It sure helped the pain for two days, and I have a good few left over, if anyone wants them!

Anyway, I could not believe that it cost €7.99 in a certain large chemist chain that we all know well. And I suspect there is a cartel on price too in all chemists.

As for the UK, my friend goes up to Newry now and again, and visits all the chemists and gets her supply, I reckon she has a teeny problem! Packs are sold in 32s I think and are a lot less expensive that down here. And there is no third degree, although she told me they will only sell one pack at a time. Is that right?

Anyway, for headaches and general aches and pains, which I don't suffer too much from thankfully, I use the soluble paracetemol with caffeine. Does the trick for me, But by God is it expensive for what you get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I've been told that lots of middle aged women in south Dublin are addicted to it by someone who worked in a pharmacy in Blackrock.

Personally I find codeine poor as a painkiller and paracetamol works very well for me. I read recently that different people respond very differently to different painkillers. Also women tend to respond better to codeine and less well to paracetamol in comparison to men.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is the Boots version of the soluble paracetemol/caffeine tablets. They are on the open shelves in Boots in the North, don't know if they have them here.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Paracetamol-Extra-Soluble-Tablets-24-Tablets_1408591/

They also have their own version of soluble paracetemol/codeine which has to be asked for at the counter, again in the North. It is good that they show the nature of the product on the packaging.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Paracetamol-Codeine-Extra-32-Effervesent-tablets_45071/

It is possible that some people could wean themselves off Solpadeine by trying the soluble paracetemol/caffeine. Some of the attraction could be the effervescent quality of the tablets which would be mimiced by the non codeine version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I got the third degree in Boots last summer when i went buy a box of soluble solpadeine to bring to a foreign wedding as a hangover cure. Ive always found them brilliant for that, but id never take them more than a couple of times a year.

I think its a good thing they are difficult to procure, as codeine is no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Yeah, one of my friends was addicted for a while, any mild ache or pain and she'd take 3 solpadeine in one go. They'd cure her pain alright but she would nearly every time vomit afterwards with the strength of them. She stopped after she passed out one day after and she stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Pretty pathetic addiction.

Great at 7am though when the head is pounding after a few too many lager tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

MrWalsh wrote: »
    LOL - this post made me laugh. The naivety!

I remember once I fainted from period pain and fell down a flight of stairs. Only for it being quite a busy flight of stairs and me being completely boneless was no damage done! And another time I keeled over and passed out on the street from the pain. I clearly remember a pharmacist refusing me decent pain relief for period pain and the pain being so bad that it brought on a terrible bout of irritable bowel that I subsequently ended up in A&E for!

Plenty of investigation, nothing going on. There are not always answers for everything and just because you yourself do not suffer, dont dismiss the rest of us who do.

You ended up in A&E with period pain! Jesus. That's just awful.

I know well people get brushed off by GP's who run some cursory tests and don't follow up any further. I also know a good lot of women who only discovered what the cause of their problems was in their late 30's or early 40's, when they went for the deeper investigations required for infertility. Decades of pain and drugs, and they say "but I thought it was normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I suffer bad from one-sided migraines, can be literally in bed in the dark for two solid days.

what causes migraine?

allergic to codeine myself

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I like nearly everyone else here always assumed that solpadeine was addictive due to the codeine until I undertook a pain course recently.... turns out (as per a top pain professor) its the caffeine that gets people addicted and with withdrawals are caffeine related :eek:

I like nearly everyone else here always assumed that solpadeine was addictive due to the codeine until I undertook a pain course recently.... turns out (as per a top pain professor) its the caffeine that gets people addicted and with withdrawals are caffeine related :eek:
    I would never EVER disagree with your top professor, but that seems like waffle to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I remember being in Casper,Wyoming the meth capital of america and they were the same with sudafed or products that contained pseudoephedrine,only one pack per person and a ton of questions to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,975 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

KungPao wrote: »
    I would never EVER disagree with your top professor, but that seems like waffle to me.
    Caffeine withdrawal is pretty awful though.... so there might be something in it.

In fairness, try telling a multiple coffee or tea drinking person, that they cannot have any more EVAH, and the truth might just be in there somewhere!

My mother had a stroke several years ago, and was in hospital for weeks. She could not speak for a couple of days and was moaning, as we thought, in pain, the nurses (bless them!), asked what her "drinking" habits were, and when we said TEA all day, every day, they made her up a cup of tea with thickener, because her swallow was not good.

No more moaning. Tea on the hour.

She is ok now. Some residual problems, but honestly, do not minimise the effect of caffeine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Caffeine withdrawal is pretty awful though.... so there might be something in it.

It's really not, tbh. A few days of minor discomfort at most, even for heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There's really not that much caffeine in them, less than a cup of coffee. There are loads of non codeine painkillers with caffeine but they don't carry an addiction warning and I've never heard of anyone having withdrawals after stopping anadin, for example, which contains more caffeine than solpadeine.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    In fairness, try telling a multiple coffee or tea drinking person, that they cannot have any more EVAH, and the truth might just be in there somewhere!

My mother had a stroke several years ago, and was in hospital for weeks. She could not speak for a couple of days and was moaning, as we thought, in pain, the nurses (bless them!), asked what her "drinking" habits were, and when we said TEA all day, every day, they made her up a cup of tea with thickener, because her swallow was not good.

No more moaning. Tea on the hour.

She is ok now. Some residual problems, but honestly, do not minimise the effect of caffeine!
    Not deminishing the addictive qualities of caffeine! If some unfortunate soul drinks tea, coffee, cola, and energy drinks every god-given day...then wants to quit cold turkey (which isn't as delicious as it sounds[1]) then I wish them well.

But lots of meds have caffeine, generally cold cures (really hangover cures by another name) but come on...if caffeine was the addictive ingredient for Solpadeine just have a nice strong coffee, then you'd be happy as Larry.

[1]Homer J. Simpson

Not deminishing the addictive qualities of caffeine! If some unfortunate soul drinks tea, coffee, cola, and energy drinks every god-given day...then wants to quit cold turkey (which isn't as delicious as it sounds[1]) then I wish them well.

But lots of meds have caffeine, generally cold cures (really hangover cures by another name) but come on...if caffeine was the addictive ingredient for Solpadeine just have a nice strong coffee, then you'd be happy as Larry.

[1]Homer J. Simpson

Why is caffeine included though? I think it makes the drugs work better or summat.

So why not exclude caffeine, and leave the codeine!

Double addiction sorted, only one left!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

moleyv wrote: »
    I was on tylex for a year. I never had any of that. I only took what I needed though. Full dose for 3 or 4 weeks then maybe 2 or 3 a day for the rest of the time. Came off them no problem when pain went.

Don't see how they were addictive.

Some are more prone to addiction,that's proven,but ANY opiate,administered daily will result in withdrawals when stopped.That's also proven.You my friend are probably in the 5% of the population (not proven,just guesswork on my part)that gets all the good effects of drugs and none of nasty ones.
    Go forth and enjoy

Why is caffeine included though? I think it makes the drugs work better or summat.

So why not exclude caffeine, and leave the codeine!

Double addiction sorted, only one left!
    Partly marketing gimmick/partly to give a hungover sick person a boost, I'd say.

I imagine the amounts of caffeine are fairly low in these pills, compared to a bottle of Jolt cola, remember that? Lethal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Grayson wrote: »
    btw, my last job involved crises management. Very stressful and very immediate. However I'd get through with an ibuprofen. However my family all work in medicine. Doctors, nurse and paramedic. They have a very blase view of drugs. Their drug cabinets at home are so well stocked I know one ho got a IV drip for a really bad hangover.

I'm backpacking at the moment and as Ads by Google said, drugs are everywhere. The nurse I was talking to has about 4 types of anti depressants. She onl;y ever uses them when she has to take a long bus ride (Some bus rides are over 20 hours)

That's the difference though. There;'s a huge range of drugs and most people don' know when to use which and how long they should use it for.

Even something simple like asprin, paracetamol or ibuprofen. Some are better that others at different types of pain. Yet some people don't know this and so just take whatever they have to hand or whatever advert they last saw.

This is the problem for me, people reaching for drugs at the slightest thing, a hangover....drugs, a headache.....drugs, a busride....drugs, trip to the shops....drugs, jesus the slightest thing and folk reach for the drugs its fcuking pathetic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dracula! wrote: »
    [/B]
    It's also the most abused because it has a short half life with a quicker onset and more off a high than diazepam(valium) which is more gradual onset but it has a longer half life. That's the reason they prescribe it because it's short acting so out of your system quickly. The anxiety rebound effect is worse from xanax because of this also if used regularly. Of course you get a lecture benzos are one of the most addictive things on the planet. Benzo withdrawals are described as worse than heroin withdrawals by people who come off both and they are potentially fatal if not done in a tapered way(when used everyday for a long period withdrawals). I think it's important to put the correct information out there for people reading this thread.

You and me both. You simply went into greater detail on what I termed 'Major Withdrawl' in my post. ie. clarified that it was almost Heroin withdrawl like. However, the way you phrased the part I've bolded could be read that you were correcting misinformation in my post where there is in fact none.

'Of course you get a lecture'

My point is that while I can understand those being prescribed a high enough dose for a long enough duration which puts them at much greater risk off addiction being given the lecture, I simply can't understand why I, who have been getting 14x 0.25mg every 2-2.5 months for the last year am still getting the lecture when it is patently obvious I couldn't reach the danger dose and duration even if I tried. The danger dosage is 3mg a day (1mg 3 times a day) for 3 weeks and I only get prescribed enough 0.25mg to last 1 and a bit days at 3mg a day (3mg/0.25mg=12 of my tablets). Why then do I need the lecture every time I get a new 14x 0.25 tablet script?? I am so far from addiction risk potential on the Xanax I'm prescribed its not funny!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Solpadeine pfft...nurofen plus or tylex or tramadol is were it's at folks :D

• Advertisement

[1]Homer J. Simpson

Hi, the vast, vast majority of people drink coffee and tea every live long day!

Every day.

Cold cures and hangover cures are not every day occurrences though, are they?

Advertisement