Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solpadeine addiction

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Nobody seems to talk about it much anymore, a few years ago we were told that there's a solpadeine/codeine addiction epidemic in Ireland and pharmacists were warned to be cautious about selling them to people. Did (or do) you currently struggle with an addiction to OTC painkillers or do you know someone who does (did)? Are people taking it less nowadays with all the hassle you get from trying to purchase it? Or have you given it up due to health problems or other reasons?

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, feel free to move if appropriate. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

It's the Solapadeine that's addicted to Me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Cormac... wrote: »
    It's the Solapadeine that's addicted to Me!!!!

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

My sister used to be addicted to solpadeine when she was younger. Used to take them most days. She used to say that she had a headache when asked about it.
    Parents noticed that they couldn't keep Solpadeine in the house with her. Eventually copped on that she may have an issue with it when a full box would be gone in a week or so.

Eventually copped on that she may have an issue with it when a full box would be gone in a week or so.
    Did she find it easy to quit after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

It dawned on me recently that Americans can't seem to taker a few headache tablets without having to do a month in Betty Ford - personally I don't see how you could get addicted by something that doesn't make you dance, be hilariously funny and attractive to the opposite/ same sex or otherwise have a mad buzz but that's just me.

Perhaps the cunning plan of asking people questions and only allowing them buy one pack at a time has worked?

• Advertisement

It dawned on me recently that Americans can't seem to taker a few headache tablets without having to do a month in Betty Ford - personally I don't see how you could get addicted by something that doesn't make you dance, make you trip or otherwise have a mad buzz but that's just me.

Perhaps the cunning plan of asking people questions and only allowing them buy one pack at a time has worked?

In America, Painkillers with opiates are hard to get, I think they're prescription only. I think most people take them for a mood lift, they're not considered a party drug. kek
    People who are desperate might go to several different places to avoid the 1 pack rule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a friend who is addicted to them. Gets quite ratty if she doesn't get her daily couple and quite angry if you tackle her on it.

She nearly passed out when she saw the size of the box they sent me home from hospital with (I think there were 72 in it?).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Problem i have with that is that i, who has an head ache 3x a year for whatever reasons, am also interrogated for 10 mins before i can buy that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

me0w wrote: »
    Did she find it easy to quit after that?
    Twas kinda a case of cold turkey for her, as my parents stopped buying Solpadeine altogether.
    I remember she was very narky, and would snap at you for no reason. Didn't last too long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I miss solpadeine, now when a box comes into the house it's like having a box of ferrero rocher at christmas and everyone just takes one or two every time they walk past because they can't resist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Yeah what the hell can you do about it? I have a very close mate and he is definitely addicted to Kapake, it's insane, and I haven't a clue how to tackle it. As far as he's concerned he has no problem, quite aggressive aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I take them when I get headaches mainly because nothing else works as quickly as the soluble Solpadene do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I've suffered from it and have to avoid it now when I actually do have back pain etc or I'll end up falling back into it.

Would get very irritable when I didn't take it. I was probably taking 4-6 of them a day and would go from chemist to chemist in order so they wouldn't remember me using various excuses to get them over the counter.

Off them now thank god, other half copped on to me eventually and helped me quit she was finding the wrappers in my pockets etc when doing the washing and my excuses wore thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I knew a couple of lads in my last job who were addicted to Solpadeine. One of them had a heart attack (unrelated) and when he woke up in the hospital bed after it the nurse said to him "we'll sort that solpadeine addiction while you are in". He was like "What?" and she said "I know by the whites of your eyes - I see it all the time". Anyway, he cold turkeyed while being taken care of for his heart. The odd thing is, he was a skinny whippety little fella when that happened, and since then he has ballooned in weight. The Solpadeine addiction was probably healthier!

The other fella used to just stop at a different chemist every morning on the way into work. He passed around 20 different ones on his journey so the same chemist only saw him once every month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

inforfun wrote: »
    Problem i have with that is that i, who has an head ache 3x a year for whatever reasons, am also interrogated for 10 mins before i can buy that crap.

You don't need it for a headache, there are numerous products that don't contain codeine that would sort a headache. The rules were brought in for the risk if addiction and also the trend of people taking them unnecessarily.

That said if you want them bad enough just lie to the pharmacist or advisor but it's not much of a hassle to say it's for back or period pain and you've tried paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

duffman13 wrote: »
    You don't need it for a headache, there are numerous products that don't contain codeine that would sort a headache. The rules were brought in for the risk if addiction and also the trend of people taking them unnecessarily.

That said if you want them bad enough just lie to the pharmacist or advisor but it's not much of a hassle to say it's for back or period pain and you've tried paracetamol.

Don't say this if you're a man though.

It's similar to one brand here in Vietnam.. I just checked, here it's 30mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol whereas at home, the codeine is only 12.8mg.

Now, it makes a lot of sense that I know a few (including myself two years ago) who take too much since you can buy as much as you like with no questions. I had a toothache there recently and was back to about five a day and it's so easy to see how they're addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's similar to one brand here in Vietnam.. I just checked, here it's 30mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol whereas at home, the codeine is only 12.8mg.

Now, it makes a lot of sense that I know a few (including myself two years ago) who take too much since you can buy as much as you like with no questions. Same with valium.

30mg codeine 500mg paracetamol is tylex or kapake or solpadol. Available on prescription in Ireland.

By the by, Anyone on regular high dose codeine is going to be bunged up to the eyeballs. Worrying about constipation when you are young doesn't bode well for future bowel health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Tylex ftw....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

The addicts save up, fly to the US and fill their cases with bottles of 1000. It ends up cheaper than buying it here and they are less likely to be spotted as an addict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

30mg codeine 500mg paracetamol is tylex or kapake or solpadol. Available on prescription in Ireland.

By the by, Anyone on regular high dose codeine is going to be bunged up to the eyeballs. Worrying about constipation when you are young doesn't bode well for future bowel health.

Tylex ftw.Not only will they make you constipated,you'll also scratch half the skin of your face,like any opiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

You don't need it for a headache, there are numerous products that don't contain codeine that would sort a headache. .

Not migraine though. Very few things help when I have a migraine, but solpadeine does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Not for everyone.

Im allergic to aspirin and I am intolerant to ibuprofen. So my only other pain relief choices are plain paracetmol or codeine.

Ive tried plain paracetmol when Ive been bouncing off the walls in pain from my period and I may as well be eating smarties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Saw a guy on the television before who became clinically addicted to Toblerone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cant beat a Tylex for pain in the choppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

me0w wrote: »
    In America, Painkillers with opiates are hard to get, I think they're prescription only. I think most people take them for a mood lift, they're not considered a party drug. kek

People who are desperate might go to several different places to avoid the 1 pack rule.

Gp's are practically flicking and bouncing oxycontin\percocets off patients foreheads when they enter the surgery in north america its a serious problem,as well as Tylenol 3's with contain codeine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I got super-dee-duper codeine tablets after having my wisdom teeth out, could definitely see how you could get addicted.

I get codeine for period pain (weed actually works better but sometimes I'm broke that week), it is extremely irritating going through the whole rigmarole. The pharmacy nearest to me only ever seems to have one actual pharmacist there, I know they're only following the rules but god almighty it's Kafkaesque that you have to be a qualified pharmacist to ask "Are these for yourself? Have you taken them before? What symptoms are you taking them for? Have you tried paracetemol and ibuprofen?". I was waiting around fifteen minutes the last time for the sake of four questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

May cause spontaneous self abuse at 30,000 feet.

I know one girl who takes it a lot and amusingly calls it Solfadeeen.

The lighter side of addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

May cause spontaneous self abuse at 30,000 feet.

I thought nurofen plus caused this :p

Advertisement