Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US shooting at Mohahammed Cartoon conference

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Wang King wrote: »
    Yeah, but children with disabilities
    actually exist
    I'm not sure that would lead to parents of disabled kids trying to murder as many people as they can
    And that may be the crux of the matter.

Its actually because they are so insecure in their faith that they react in such a violent manner.

If you were secure in your beliefs you would not react in such away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Inquitus wrote: »
    Kind of pointlessly provocative event mind, lets all have an event to display the controversial cartoons that have caused mayhem in the past and while we are at it we'll try and draw some more. Its right up there with the Westborough Baptists for most stupid application of the first amendment. I'd say the attendees were a lovely bunch.

I agree with you, it was provocative. But it was not pointless. It was to make a point (that point being; Islam is not a religion of peace). If I drew a picture of Jesus with a dick in his mouth, wearing two different fabrics and with a tattoo of a pentagram on his neck with "I hate Jews" on his forehead, you think someone would shoot me? I'd get a whole lot of angry twitter rants (deservedly), but I don't think anyone would shoot me. Never mind the fact that this happens quite regularly, for simply drawing Mohammed. You can't absolve one group by blaming the others as "you got shot for drawing in paper, totally deserved it!".

I'm quite glad nobody at this event got seriously hurt, aside from those two idiots with guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

kneemos wrote: »
    Why would they have a cartoon drawing competition about any religion?
    Not condoning the shooters , but it's provocative and pointless.

We often have people drawing Buddha or Jesus. We often have people mocking Jesus, the Church, and Priests though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So next is a competition for the best cartoon of a handicapped child?

Common sense needs to prevail at some point

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

These bastards open fire on an art exhibition, get killed and then rewarded with free access to 78 virgins. It's so unfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why would they have a cartoon drawing competition about any religion?
    Not condoning the shooters , but it's provocative and pointless.

How about jokes? Are boards provoking shooters too?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054885222

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=225541

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think events like this may alienate moderate muslims. **** the extrimist muslims all the same but the moderates need to be made welcome as part of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The people who ran the event are nuts.

Here's what I find interesting, two men leave a car sporting assault rifles. They approach an armed cop and an unarmed security guard. They open free, hitting the guard in the legs. Te cop draws his service pistol and shoots both dead.

Give that man a medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    These bastards open fire on an art exhibition, get killed and then rewarded with free access to 78 virgins. It's so unfair

I'd do it for 79 virgins but 78 id just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

smurgen wrote: »
    I think events like this may alienate moderate muslims. **** the extrimist muslims all the same but the moderates need to be made welcome as part of the community.

Which isn't happening in my experience and if it doesn't the extremists will win. 99.99% of Muslims are peace loving and no different than you and me. If we let the bigots and the racists win or if they keep believing the spin churned out by Fox/Sky news etc.. nothing will change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You can be sure that some of those Virgins are going to be high maintenance down the line.

Funny if they turned out to 78 virgin Homosexuals and that just wasn't the terrorist thing ! ! !

Always read the small print

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

tritium wrote: »
    Those gunmen sound lovely but misunderstood. The folks holding the conference sound lovely too. Can we put them all on an island together, far away from normal society. Maybe give them guns there too...

Congratulations you win the award for the first person to mention the obligatory "Put them all on an Island" response !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I find it amusing. not the guys getting killed. They made a choice their decision, thems the breaks.

The part I find amusing is Texas holding that event as if to say we are not afraid to speak freely . All for freedom of speech. But You go down to Texas and hold a slagging off god, calling god homosexual cartoon event. See how much freedom is appreciated in the bible belt .

Seems its more, speak freely as long as the majority agrees. It's not the corpses stinking, it's the Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

The people who ran the event are nuts.

That may well be true (I think Geller is still in the "Birther" camp regarding President Obama, so probably not the full shilling). However, in the context of the events that have just transpired & not that long after the Charlie Hebdo massacre it's not particularly relevant or helpful. It's rather like remarking upon a girl's fondness for low cut dresses & bacardi right after someone has attempted to rape her. Could she have avoided trouble by changing her actions? Possibly yes, but why the f*ck should she have to? Same principle applies here. I'm no fan of Geller's politics but 100% of the blame here is on the shooters & anyone who encouraged them. No ifs, buts or whatabouts needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We often have people drawing Buddha or Jesus. We often have people mocking Jesus, the Church, and Priests though.

Never heard of a competition to the best cartoon.Pretty sure it would cause an uproar here too.

These people probably deserve each other in fairness .

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

I find it amusing. not the guys getting killed. They made a choice their decision, thems the breaks.

The part I find amusing is Texas holding that event as if to say we are not afraid to speak freely . All for freedom of speech. But You go down to Texas and hold a slagging off god, calling god homosexual cartoon event. See how much freedom is appreciated in the bible belt .

Seems its more, speak freely as long as the majority agrees. It's not the corpses stinking, it's the Hypocrisy.

One of the most clueless posts since your other post on this thread. You can say what you like about God in Texas and I am pretty sure you won't be shot at. This event was bait for the headhackers and they took it hook,line and sinker as they always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Never heard of a competition to the best cartoon.Pretty sure it would cause an uproar here too.

These people probably deserve each other in fairness .

No it wouldn't. People would tu tut, there would letters to the paper, some hyperventilating on Joe Duffy and that'd be that.

If a group of Muslim Americans had a flag burning demo in Texas I wonder how it would go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If a group of Muslim Americans had a flag burning demo in Texas I wonder how it would go down?

What do you imagine would happen in your imagined scenario?

(Cos, imagination = fact after all)

So long as it was their own flag they would be protected by the police. Certainly no one would shoot at them. Burning flags that you own yourself is constitutionally protected speech in the US.

• Advertisement

Almost appears like the whole thing was a trap & the jihadis took the bait.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-is-who-would-have-met-the-garland-gunman-if-they-m-1701964388

Had the Jihadis made it inside, they wouldn't have lasted long, the event was very well protected.

1237942896723845700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Which isn't happening in my experience and if it doesn't the extremists will win. 99.99% of Muslims are peace loving and no different than you and me. If we let the bigots and the racists win or if they keep believing the spin churned out by Fox/Sky news etc.. nothing will change.

Would that it were only 00.01% of Muslims that were the problem, then there would be no problem. Surveys however keep spitting up uncomfortable truths about Muslim attitudes all around the globe (including here in the West), like the majority in places like Egypt and Pakistan favour the death penalty for people that leave the Muslim religion or a recent one that indicated 20% of British Muslims felt that Islam was incompatible with Western values.

One of the biggest problems we have with Islam is actually how consistently people (particular those in power) want to pretend that there's no problem with Islam and frankly, suggesting that any 'perceived' problem with Islam is just a figment of Fox News’ (which is a bucket of runny shoite) imagination is a dishonest and disingenuous position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

conorhal wrote: »
    If it were only 00.01% of muslims that were the problem there would be no problem, surveys however keep spitting up uncomfortable truths about Muslim attitudes, like the majority in places like Egypt and Pakistan favour the death penalty for prople that leave the muslim religion or a recient one that indicated 20% of British Muslims felt that Islam was incompatable with Western values.

One of the biggest problems we have with Islam is how consistantly people want to pretend that there's no problem with Islam and suggesting that any 'percieved' problem is just a figment of Fox News (which is a bucket of runny shoite) imagination is dishonest and disingenuous.

It's pathetic the way pc brigade fall over themselves trying make excuses for the Isis brigade ........"apart from the throwing gay people of tall buildings and cutting off people's heads they're not the worst you'd meet" :D

The anti Muslim brigade around here appear just as intractable as the jihadists.

What do you imagine would happen in your imagined scenario?

(Cos, imagination = fact after all)

it's a mental exercise.do you think them exercising free speech would be lauded by fellow texans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

The anti Muslim brigade around here appear just as intractable as the jihadists.

Yeah well give us a call when they start murdering people that disagree with them. I don't see the problem with a degree if intractability when it comes to dealing with mass murderers.

What are the chances of one of them picking up a gun & shooting people they disagree with?

it's a mental exercise.

Its your fantasy buddy.
    You play it out.

Custardpi wrote: »
    What are the chances of one of them picking up a gun & shooting people they disagree with?

You're proving my point.

• Advertisement

You're proving my point.

How?

Advertisement