Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Kay's Car Share

Options
  • 01-05-2015 1:20am

Enjoying this even if a lot of it is lifted from his stand up routine, particularly in relation to comments about songs on the radio. Nice to see a funny cameo from 'Kenny Dalglish' actor Archie Kelly in ep 2 tonight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

The bit where they pulled over and the woman asked the dog walker about dogging was hilarious.

gazzer wrote: »
    The bit where they pulled over and the woman asked the dog walker about dogging was hilarious.

That was funny, remember him from Pheonix Nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I enjoyed it, nice bit of harmless comedy.

Sure where else would you get to hear classics like Martika's Kitchen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Brilliant.
    The BBC scores again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We just caught the last twenty minutes of it,surprisingly very good.As said the part when he pulled over for Kenny Sr was just brilliant.His facial expressions at some of the stuff she was saying was brilliant too, the now 48 bit especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I couldn't stop laughing at the very end when Ken stuck his head in the car. 'climb in why don't ye'

It will never be better than That Peter Kay Thing, but I'm really enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,829 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have seen all 6... if you enjoyed the first one or two,it gets even better as it goes on!

Plus the chemistry between John (Kay) and Kayleigh (Gibson) is just excellent!

Far better than some of the tosh (and I'm a fan) has done in the last few years.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I couldn't stop laughing at the very end when Ken stuck his head in the car. 'climb in why don't ye'

It will never be better than That Peter Kay Thing, but I'm really enjoying it!
    Ya the way Kay was laughing made me think that Ken sticking his head in wasnt actually scripted.
    Basq wrote: »
    Have seen all 6... if you enjoyed the first one or two,it gets even better as it goes on!

Plus the chemistry between John (Kay) and Kayleigh (Gibson) is just excellent!

Far better than some of the tosh (and I'm a fan) has done in the last few years.
    Ya i wasnt expecting much given the whole 'Geraldine' debacle alright, very pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kayleigh is a woman of my own heart, Elton John's Step Into Christmas is my favourite Christmas song too.

Had completely forgotten about this till I saw it on the BBC Player last Saturday night and watched the first two episodes which are amongst the simplest and most charming half hours of TV that I have ever seen. The dogging joke in episode two is one of the best uses of a running joke and the pay off where they pull over to ask a "dogger" about it made me laugh more than any other show in a very long time.

Like all truly great and timeless shows Car Share is one that at heart takes a simple idea and just goes with it. There's a lot of heart here and the performances are brilliant, thanks in large part to the chemistry the stars share.

• Advertisement

Watching episode three over lunch and the "princess Diana" scene was a joy to watch, it was obvious that Kay and Foulkes were desperately trying not to break character from laughing so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ya the way Kay was laughing made me think that Ken sticking his head in wasnt actually scripted.

I don't think it was either, it was gas and she was obviously pissing herself laughing at it too getting out of the car.

Her description of the name of the guy she met for her lunch date was brilliant,
    Japs Eye, she thought it shortened from Japanese Simon, Jap Si.

Really enjoyed last nights episode again.The phone call at the end was brilliant as was the car wash.

Keep an eye out for the notices. One outside a pub saying "Buy one meal for the price of 2" another on the roadside "Missing Husband. Last seen entering a whore...."

Really enjoyed last nights episode again.The phone call at the end was brilliant as was the car wash.

It has to be a running joke or done purposely for filming, but even after the wash the rear windscreen was still filthy.

Why is the rear window of the car always dirty?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Keep forgetting about this and only catching the end of episodes so getting caught up on iPlayer now. Dogging episode was hilarious.

p.s. Is the back window maybe down to how they film it? I'm not sure he's really driving when they're chatting, maybe it has something to do with that?

I think it's privacy so people behind don't see the cameras attached to the windscreen. I do think he drives though, or else he's very good at acting with all his mirror checking.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think it's privacy so people behind don't see the cameras attached to the windscreen. I do think he drives though, or else he's very good at acting with all his mirror checking.

Actually, it might be for continuity. If they blow a shot and have to do it again you'd notice the background not matching. If you can't see out the back window properly they could just keep rolling until they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Fav highlight so far was in episode 1 with the "Guess the Year" competition on the radio:
    "Today, it was the year that the Poll Tax was abolished and Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen, tragically died of AIDS while Julia Roberts was Sleeping With The Enemy.
    "Sounds like Freddie might have been as well."

:pac:

• Advertisement

^ I love the daily "Who's in the toaster?" competition they do on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Really enjoyed the episodes I've seen so far. When I heard the car share theme I thought it'd be rubbish but definitely a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,829 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just finishing a rewatch of the series and it's just so bloody charming.. one reviewer described it as "The Royle Family on wheels" - it's not far off - there's real heart in this show and it's definitely the best TV Kay has done since Phoenix Nights.

And could do with some Forever FM in my radio schedule... love me some cheesy tunes!

Really exceeded expectations.. I don't expect everyone to get it - but as a TV addict, it's just so refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Oh, I love it. I had only seen bits of it, thinking it was a commute to an office job where most of the action took place. I realise now what it is. I'll make sure not to miss any more. It was hilarious. They're both very good....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I love the attention to detail on Forever FM. They got in professional radio people to make full length Breakfast and Drivetime Shows. They were working from scripts, but they didn't know it would be so central to the show.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/NEWS/12940917.REVEALED__The_voice_behind_the_hilarious_Forever_FM_radio_excerpts_on_Peter_Kay_comedy_Car_Share/
    Rob Charles, who works at 107 The Bee which broadcasts in East Lancashire, said: "The reaction to the show has been great, and I've had loads of positive messages from people on Twitter.

"I actually recorded my part in March 2013, but because the station plays timeless classics it didn't matter that it aired so much later.

"I was really surprised when I watched the show just how prominent I am in some parts, such as the regular features like 'guess the year'. I didn't watch the show until it was available on iPlayer so all I knew about was what I'd recorded. I think the show is brilliant."

And all the hits are on the BBC Playlist here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/playlists/zzzzg5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think we all know how this going to end up, don't we

fryup wrote: »
    i think we all know how this going to end up, don't we

Having watched all the episodes it's actually surprising just how it plays out. There's a tenderness to it all that's charming and you can't help but be caught up in it. Really cannot recommend the show enough, it's rare these days that I watch something and then would want to own it but this is one of those that I'll be grabbing when it hits disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I found it reasonably good, not a patch on Phoenix Nights though in terms of both writing and strength of characters.

I absolutely hate the way Peter Kay's name has been added to the programme name.
    Is this an ego thing??
    It seems to happen with a lot of stuff Richard Hammond and James May do as well to name but two.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I found it reasonably good, not a patch on Phoenix Nights though in terms of both writing and strength of characters.

I absolutely hate the way Peter Kay's name has been added to the programme name.
    Is this an ego thing??
    It seems to happen with a lot of stuff Richard Hammond and James May do as well to name but two.

It may be a little annoying but it ensures that the audience is aware of the show. If you saw the title Car Share listed you'd expect a bargain basement documentary about people sharing a car but by sticking Kay's name there you have instant brand recognition and people are far more likely to watch a show called Peter Kay's Car Share than they are Car Share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well in fairness if it was called just car share no one would give it a second notice

but with peter kays name associated with it you know its comical

Advertisement