Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie a home for the middle class?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

noway12345 wrote: »
    I'll banter you.

Mildly aroused!

Middle class is say €33000 a year or more. Incidentally the last Census found 50% earning over €28000.

So what is the average house price in Ireland?
    For argument sake let's say 200K being dublin is much higher.

Even on 40K which by the above definition would make you middle class.

No one should borrow more than 3x salary, most banks will not allow you now.

40K x 3 = 120K

Bit crap being middle class if you cannot even buy a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I suppose if your other half was earning the same too you could afford a house. I earn well over €50k and I'm not middle class, I'm a forktruck driver.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I suppose if your other half was earning the same too you could afford a house. I earn well over €50k and I'm not middle class, I'm a forktruck driver.

Nope!

Formula for two people is supposed to be 3x big salary x1 the small.
    Even if both are earning 40K each technically that would only mean a borrowing power of 160K...

But point I am making people have this idea of middle class which is complete nonsense..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nope!

Formula for two people is supposed to be 3x big salary x1 the small.
    Even if both are earning 40K each technically that would only mean a borrowing power of 160K...

But point I am making people have this idea of middle class which is complete nonsense..

But the question is whether Middle-Income and Middle-Class are the same thing...

They are not...One is a salary level , the other is a mind-set or outlook on life..

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    But the question is whether Middle-Income and Middle-Class are the same thing...

They are not...One is a salary level , the other is a mind-set or outlook on life..

Exactly, the OP originally said a middle class attitude, I am still not really sure what they means.

Middle class usually implies family wealth and or an estate something beyond your income...

If you need to work regardless if you make 100k+ then you are working class!
    So it's all a bit of a nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

So what is the average house price in Ireland?
    For argument sake let's say 200K being dublin is much higher.

Even on 40K which by the above definition would make you middle class.

No one should borrow more than 3x salary, most banks will not allow you now.

40K x 3 = 120K

Well thats lower middle class. Its not agreed where middle class starts and upper class ends. Its a very wide spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

People are going to need to define middle class, working class etc or we'll all be arguing across one another about different things.

EDIT: Sorry I wrote this assuming the thread was only 1 page long, however my point still stands.

Well thats lower middle class. Its not agreed where middle class starts and upper class ends. Its a very wide spectrum.

It's nonsense!

Or maybe that is lower lower upper lower middle class!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I only use Cushelle and I look down on people who call ketchup "red sauce".
    Am I middle class?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

fussyonion wrote: »
    I only use Cushelle and I look down on people who call ketchup "red sauce".
    Am I middle class?

Depends what you use Cushelle for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

What's cushelle? Obviously a middle class thing.

noway12345 wrote: »
    What's cushelle? Obviously a middle class thing.

You would refer to it as bog roll!
    I use the bidet! Then have one of the local FAS workers air dry my shuck with a fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Am middle-class by income and view. Always jelous of the super rich and find fault in them, and am not proud of it. Plus not that they really do give a sh1te.
    And i kind of partially agree with youe observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Will_mck

Nope, I'm on here and one does not evacuate ones bath tub to pee

Advertisement