Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie a home for the middle class?

Options
  • 28-04-2015 11:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

In my short time reading boards.ie I've found that most of the posters seem very middle class. The popular view seems to favour the wealthy while there's a lot of looking down on the poor and minorities.
    Am I mistaken in my view? If I'm not then what's the reason for this site to be populated so much by the same kind of people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

I say, what a dreadful and narrow minded observation!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I say, what a dreadful and narrow minded observation!

Rather!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

young, irish spoilt mostly.

Little pricks.

Wanting free water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

In before Middle Earth wont stand for this !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

young, irish spoilt mostly.

Little pricks.

Wanting free water.
    It falls from the sky and we pee it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

noway12345 wrote: »
    In my short time reading boards.ie I've found that most of the posters seem very middle class. The popular view seems to favour the wealthy while there's a lot of looking down on the poor and minorities.
    Am I mistaken in my view? If I'm not then what's the reason for this site to be populated so much by the same kind of people?

Define "middle class", occupation/income wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

A lot of people on here who don't like to be burdened with other people's pain or have to think about it, so convince themselves that those people are wrong to feel the way they do. IMO.

Path of least resistance and all that.

It's easier for them to just lay down and take it, but nobody wants to admit that that's what they're doing, so they'll make up some wordy argument as to why everyone should lie down and take it.

Or something.

Nodin wrote: »
    Define "middle class", occupation/income wise.

Sarah the Nurse Tom the Garda ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I think the majority on Boards aren't like that, it's just that the minority is significant, and shouts louder.
    Btw, being from a middle-class background doesn't automatically mean having the views you describe; unless you mean "middle-class" as an attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

There are a number of very vocal posters with very right wing opinions. They are not representative of the silent (or not so silent) majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

People on the dole are middle class while people who work are poor.

The rest live in a big bubble........or on Boards.ie obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Im of no class, just Irish is all, classes are for schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I would say so,there's a lot of politically correct nonsense on it,while it all sounds good it usually crumbles in the face of reality,makes you wonder what kind of world they live ina...oh that's right the middle class

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I find a lot of posters seem to identify as a certain "thing" and then convince themselves they are in the minority when really just a few people have disagreed with them on a certain issue. It's as if some people don't want it to be a discussion site. They want it to be an "everyone just agree with me site" instead.

I would say so,there's a lot of politically correct nonsense on it,while it all sounds good it usually crumbles in the face of reality,makes you wonder what kind of world they live ina...oh that's right the middle class
    This is the thing: middle-class people get accused from some quarters of looking down on the less well off and minorities... yet simultaneously of being naive, right-on do-gooders.
    Although it is obviously possible to find both types.

Then there's the rest of us middle-class people who don't give a sh-t what anyone's background is and just plough on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Where's brendan Bendar when you need him? Middle earth indeed :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Well the majority of irish people are middle class...

I think the majority on Boards aren't like that, it's just that the minority is significant, and shouts louder.
    Btw, being middle-class doesn't automatically mean having the views you describe.
    I think what the op is saying is that posters seem to be right wing or conservative.

There are a lot of conservative posters.

It's true that people who are wealthy or middle class can form political view interdependent of their class. I know 'upper class' people who are lefties. But to be honest they don't think of people in terms of upper class middle class etc.

There are a lot of posters with very extreme right wing views.

I think that is to do also with age. People mellow as they age.

I consider myself a non extreme leftie. That's extreme though to some on here! It informs my views on multi -cultural ism and other things.

Also some people can be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Some of the socially conservative stuff on here can be almost verging on discrimination. I don't consider THAT serious politics. They often get banned soon enough.

LadyAthame wrote: »
    There are a lot of posters with very extreme right wing views.

I think that is to do also with age. People mellow as they age.
    I used to be way more left-wing, now I'm left of centre. Then again, being very left-wing can encompass some intolerance too.
    My dad used to be more right-wing; definitely mellowed with age.

Most of the time it seems like people get more conservative as they age, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The poor can't afford computers or the interwebs.

The rich are too busy pulling strings.

Nah I heard they all have 2 next gen consoles and complain they can't pay for water. :D

They are buying their hookers doing coke and running the country high as kites! They are also banning abortions. They are keeping Haughey's memory alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A swift running kick up the hole is the only job for 'em, bah. Whoever they are. Or "whomever", if you want to be all Middle-Class about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

More of an after-hours creche than a home. "Home" sounds so elderly.

This is the thing: middle-class people get accused from some quarters of looking down on the less well off and minorities... yet simultaneously of being naive, right-on do-gooders.
    Although it is obviously possible to find both types.

Then there's the rest of us middle-class people who don't give a sh-t what anyone's background is and just plough on.

Funny when i was homeless guess who the majority were who would offer you money or food? Yup you guessed it the working class stiffs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Funny when i was homeless guess who the majority were who would offer you money or food? Yup you guessed it the working class stiffs

Could you distinguish them by their gait, their demeanour, their dress or by their manner of speaking?

Could you distinguish them by their gait, their demeanour or their manner of speaking?

Usually their work wear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Right, own up, who let the peasant in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SMASH IRISH WATER

As far as I can tell this site is full of people who are very well off and luck down there noses at working class or poor people. Full of snobs.

Most of the groups I post on on facebooks are more genuine people. Maybe being able to hide your identity helps very pro government types...

Advertisement