Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie a home for the middle class?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

andrew wrote: »
    A lot of boards posts are made during the day. Those posters are either working a white collar computer based job, a student, or unemployed. So, I'd say peoeple who work blue collar jobs are pretty under represented.

Stop with the logic, or you will break the internet

No coke and hookers for you at the next party

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

No coke and hookers for you at the next party

So...can I have just one of those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Will someone define middle class for me plese? I don't know whether I'm middle class or working class. Once I do I'll adjust my outlook accordingly.
    Middle class is say €33000 a year or more. Incidentally the last Census found 50% earning over €28000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

andrew wrote: »
    A lot of boards posts are made during the day. Those posters are either working a white collar computer based job, a student, or unemployed. So, I'd say peoeple who work blue collar jobs are pretty under represented.

Maybe they work night? Or they're the boss and they get all their lackeys to do their work. Probably guards on the doss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Great, now I need to worry about what class I am, what wing I am AND what colour my collar is at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

noway12345 wrote: »
    I don't think you're born with it. Babies can't have a middle class attitude I don't think.
    Are you suggesting I have a middle class attitude? I'm offended, if I have any attitude it's upper class!
    Or they're the boss and they get all their lackeys to do their work.
    Nonsense. It's impossible to type properly when your fingers are steeped in the blood of the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Middle class is say €33000 a year or more.

Really? That seems awfully low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Really? That seems awfully low.
    I'm sure that he's just citing part time directorships of charitable trusts, when he gave that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

DareGod wrote: »
    A lot of people on here who don't like to be burdened with other people's pain or have to think about it.
    you like to think about other people's pain? :pac:

Other middle class isms:

"Loike"
    "You Knuw"
    "Roite"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

Other middle class isms:

"Loike"
    "You Knuw"
    "Roite"

They're stereotypical D4 isms, I would have thought?

Does "class" even exist in Ireland out of Dublin? Serious question, it's all Dubs ever seem to go on about.

Tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Great, now I need to worry about what class I am, what wing I am AND what colour my collar is at work.

But I dont wear a collar in work, what do i do? Hw do i know where is stand socially compared to every other worker in the country???????

They're stereotypical D4 isms, I would have thought?

Does "class" even exist in Ireland out of Dublin? Serious question, it's all Dubs ever seem to go on about.

Tiring.
    Well there's no getting away from the class divide in exit polls in recent EU referendums, and the disproportionate SF support among the DE class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

I've always felt boards.ie is more middle-class than say politics.ie. Why do I feel this way? Because politics.ie readers tend to be more anti-establishment especially in EU referendums. This is also reflected in the gay marriage debate where its poll so far is 65% yes compared to 75% yes over here. Historically in referendums, the bourgeoisie tend to go along with what the Establishment want, whereas in recent years there has been a growth in electoral rebellion by the working class.

But given boards is less in favour of gay marriage than politics.is and given the establishment is in favour (all major political parties and media outlets surely our rebellion makes us more working class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Middle class is say €33000 a year or more. Incidentally the last Census found 50% earning over €28000.

Tis in its bollocks. I despair on how people conflate middle income and middle class. I earn more than 33k, and consider myself working class. Because I work. Because I rent. Because I can't buy a dogshed in the middle class areas of Dublin, South or North of the river.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You're either upper working class or lower middle class.

How much money do you earn?
    How many bedrooms do you have in your house?
    What kind of car do you drive (the year is also important)?
    What kind of cheese do you eat? (Port Salut = Middle Class. Cheesestrings = Working Class).
    Does your wine have a cork or a screw cap?
    Have you ever owned a pair of X Works Jeans?
    How do you address your mother and father?

Get back to me with the answers to these and I'll tell you if you're working class or middle class.

How much money do you earn? Nothing..All inherited
    How many bedrooms do you have in your house? For just family or should I include Servant quarters as well?
    What kind of car do you drive (the year is also important)? I don't drive, I get driven.
    What kind of cheese do you eat? (Port Salut = Middle Class. Cheesestrings = Working Class). Prefer Blue cheese myself - Bit of Roquefort or Stinking Bishop is the way to go..
    Does your wine have a cork or a screw cap? - No wine for me , Port only - Opened with a Candle and an Iced Feather...
    Have you ever owned a pair of X Works Jeans? What on Earth are they?
    How do you address your mother and father? His Lordship and Her Ladyship.

tritium wrote: »
    But given boards is less in favour of gay marriage than politics.is and given the establishment is in favour (all major political parties and media outlets surely our rebellion makes us more working class?
    I said the opposite. The boards.ie poll is 10% higher for yes than the politics.ie one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

In my short time reading boards.ie I've found that most of the posters seem very middle class. The popular view seems to favour the wealthy while there's a lot of looking down on the poor and minorities.
    Am I mistaken in my view? If I'm not then what's the reason for this site to be populated so much by the same kind of people?

This is not necessarily to do with income or social class.

Youth can be callous.

the internet can be callous.

It's also by a vast majority male, probably lots of techies and IT people on it.

I don't know if its dominated by one particular class.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

LadyAthame wrote: »
    It falls from the sky and we pee it.

Drink that so! :P

I'd say it a collection of society. Mostly human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't get this thing of using the term "middle-class" as a pejorative. If a person is born into a middle-class background... I'm... failing to see what they've done wrong?

It's the individual and their attitude that are of concern, not what accident of birth they happened to have had.

The way the OP keeps droning "middle-class" over and over indicates "I've recently learned a phrase that I don't quite know the meaning of, but it makes me feel really intelligent to keep using it, so I'll do so ad nauseum."

Middle-class is not automatically = snob. Who's sneerier? People who are middle-class and don't judge people about their backgrounds, or people who keep leaping at every opportunity to put down middle-class people?

Paying fines that are your own fault is not "middle-class" either - insulting to deem taking personal responsibility not to be a working-class trait.
    It is not just middle-class idiots who go on about "dole drawing parasites" in relation to anyone at all who's on the dole either.

• Advertisement

I don't get this thing of using the term "middle-class" as a pejorative. If a person is born into a middle-class background... I'm... failing to see what they've done wrong?

It's the individual and their attitude that are of concern, not what accident of birth they happened to have had.

The way the OP keeps droning "middle-class" over and over indicates "I've recently learned a phrase that I don't quite know the meaning of, but it makes me feel really intelligent to keep using it, so I'll do so ad nauseum."

Middle-class is not automatically = snob. Who's sneerier? People who are middle-class and don't judge people about their backgrounds, or people who keep leaping at every opportunity to put down middle-class people?

It's called a working class chip on your shoulder dahling,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I grew up on a farm so come from land owning gentry and at the same time common labourers

Stick me in a class :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

zeffabelli wrote: »
    It's called a working class chip on your shoulder dahling,
    Also self-loathing-middleclass syndrome. Ever notice there are some middle-class people who are just MORTO that they didn't have an "edgier" upbringing? :pac:
    (Was like that myself when a teenager).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I grew up on a farm so come from land owning gentry and at the same time common labourers

Stick me in a class :p

Farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

A person would have to have real insecurity and self esteem issues to make an effort to come across as either working or middle class. What's wrong with being one or the other ? Someone on a certain income, or above the median is suddenly XYZ if they give an opinion relating to the dole and social welfare system ?

I see plenty of criticism of wasters and repeat offenders alright, I've yet to see plumbers, truck drivers or part timers in Dunnes etc ridiculed for their profession here on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What's interesting (to me at least) is the leisure class is now the under class. People who have been on long term benefits, possibly second generation. Getting a job is as alien to them as it would have been to the aristocracy of yore.

What's interesting (to me at least) is the leisure class is now the under class. People who have been on long term benefits, possibly second generation. Getting a job is as alien to them as it would have been to the aristocracy of yore.

The Aristocracy were parasites of the worse kind.

Getting a job is not always possible if someone is severely disabled. And even if the disability is not so bad as to prevent independent living, many employers won't take on someone they regard as "slow" when they can just fly in well trained workers from Eastern Europe or China. I have an autism spectrum disorder and have never had a job and I am 35 and I go on course after course and keep getting dropped. The employers feel its not their job to train people. The last people I was on a course with praised my work but still. So how is that my fault?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Getting a job is not always possible if someone is severely disabled. And even if the disability is not so bad as to prevent independent living, many employers won't take on someone they regard as "slow" when they can just fly in well trained workers from Eastern Europe or China.

Think that there is a clear differentiation made between those that "can't" work and those that simply won't...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Think that there is a clear differentiation made between those that "can't" work and those that simply won't...
    Well, not if you read some of the average Boards discussion of people on the dole ;)

Advertisement