Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mushy wrote: »
    Any idea on frequency of Leeds?

Aer Lingus Regional, three times weekly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Andip wrote: »
    Aer Lingus Regional, three times weekly

Cheers, hoping for Saturday return flights, be handy to take in a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

was reading somewhere that the cityjet London City route has had pretty poor loads. Shame really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

was reading somewhere that the cityjet London City route has had pretty poor loads. Shame really.

well they aint cheap for dates I checked for a trip over. was hoping with competition prices would come down for trips to london

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

well they aint cheap for dates I checked for a trip over. was hoping with competition prices would come down for trips to london

The higher prices offset the extortionate rail prices from Stansted for e.g though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

The higher prices offset the extortionate rail prices from Stansted for e.g though

If you book in advance the price can be ok.

I use terravision most of the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Still no sign of Mick O'Leary bringing back the Nottingham East Midlands route. I'm lost without it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

A lot of people don't think of things like that though. They see the price of the ticket and go only on that. They never bother to think of the extras and time spent making that "saving".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

grenache wrote: »
    Still no sign of Mick O'Leary bringing back the Nottingham East Midlands route. I'm lost without it :(

Sure.. He might come back now that he see Stobart taking all the glory at Cork!!!

Might do Southampton and Leeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

grenache wrote: »
    That's been tried so many times and never worked. Last time IIRC FR pulled it before it even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

£8 each way if you book in advance on Stansted Express. That's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Aer Lingus/Stobart are re-instating the Edinburgh-Shannon route next year.
    Hopefully it might have a knock on effect on Cork prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

anyone else find that even with the new city jet seats to London the price of flights to London still haven't come down in price.

on a side note the airports twitter page says two new routes to be announced tomorrow

I hope this route keeps going, its a hugely convenient place to land, well worth the price difference imo.

anyone else find that even with the new city jet seats to London the price of flights to London still haven't come down in price.

on a side note the airports twitter page says two new routes to be announced tomorrow
    CityJet are not a low fares airline, they are a full service one, well worth it though IMO, great for me going to Islington.

Cant posted the link as using a phone but looking at the echo there a use it or loose it article in relation to london city route..id give it a bit longer to settle down since it only started in oct in the d middle of the world cup and then in the run up to christmas might be a bit quiter in november.fx rates dont help the shopping market either...was talking to a few over the weekend that have used the service all positive feedback so word of mouth should help push it a bit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Cant posted the link as using a phone but looking at the echo there a use it or loose it article in relation to london city route..id give it a bit longer to settle down since it only started in oct in the d middle of the world cup and then in the run up to christmas might be a bit quiter in november.fx rates dont help the shopping market either...was talking to a few over the weekend that have used the service all positive feedback so word of mouth should help push it a bit too.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/plea-to-business-bosses-support-corks-new-london-link/1357895/

;)

There apparently is little or no business traffic, only tourist traffic. Pity.

Hopefully it doesn't put them off offering new services to distinctions that are not currently serviced out of cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just to confirm, neither runway 25 or 07 have ILS?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/17-flights-diverted-from-cork-after-landing-system-is-shut-down/16815/

This article is confusing.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Just to confirm, neither runway 25 or 07 have ILS?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/17-flights-diverted-from-cork-after-landing-system-is-shut-down/16815/

This article is confusing.

The article is also from August 2012 and The Echo is not usually well up on technical matters.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    The article is also from August 2012 and The Echo is not usually well up on technical matters.

So no?

So no?

Sorry, so no? What?
    I don't think 25/07 ever had ILS anyway.

Sorry, so no? What?
    I don't think 25/07 ever had ILS anyway.

So no, 25/07 doesn't have ILS, my original question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just a VOR approach on 07/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Should we have an appendixes put in for all the abbreviations etc lately??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Spotted this in the Cara Magazine a whole section on Dusseldorf and then it mentions "Dublin - Dusseldorf Starting May 4 2016"

No mention of Cork - Dusseldorf starting on May 1st :confused:

Spotted this in the Cara Magazine a whole section on Dusseldorf and then it mentions "Dublin - Dusseldorf Starting May 4 2016"

No mention of Cork - Dusseldorf starting on May 1st :confused:

Thats the unusual thing, Aer Lingus already fly Dublin to Dusseldorf:confused:

Send EI an EI mail about it, you'll probably get ignored.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

I thought the Cork to Boston route was supposed to start in May and that bookings were to be accepted since November?, well they're not,
    Not sure has this route been cancelled?

corkonion wrote: »
    I thought the Cork to Boston route was supposed to start in May and that bookings were to be accepted since November?, well they're not,
    Not sure has this route been cancelled?

Argg....
    No, tickets weren't to be sold until US approval was gained, which was expected in November.
    Doesn't look hopeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went to look up flights for a weekend trip away with my brother and Cork is a joke at this stage - of the few routes that would entice us, flights didn't start until June ffs

Will be driving to Dublin & flying out from there in February instead which is a shame. I'm living in Cork and yet the last three weekend breaks I've taken have been out of Dublin

D'Agger wrote: »
    Went to look up flights for a weekend trip away with my brother and Cork is a joke at this stage - of the few routes that would entice us, flights didn't start until June ffs

Will be driving to Dublin & flying out from there in February instead which is a shame. I'm living in Cork and yet the last three weekend breaks I've taken have been out of Dublin

Its to be expected out of smaller airports though. You cannot expect all the routes to be there for you and year round. With me personally, I'm flexible on destination and on time of year, and you get to visit some great places. Berlin in February doesn't sound like the most enticing does it? Not bad.

You must support the airport, rather than go "ah that airports crap" and take your pick out of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Its to be expected out of smaller airports though. You cannot expect all the routes to be there for you and year round. With me personally, I'm flexible on destination and on time of year, and you get to visit some great places. Berlin in February doesn't sound like the most enticing does it? Not bad.

You must support the airport, rather than go "ah that airports crap" and take your pick out of Dublin.
    Thing is I don't remember it being this bad before, I used Cork regularly. I worked at the airport and I love the place but asking me to fit my holidays around an airports schedule is ridiculous

Went to Berlin last February & it was phenomenal funnily enough! The flights I saw from Cork don't suit me due to other commitments simple as & I think the reason we're seeing a decline of the airport is due to the supply not meeting the popular demand. I'm not lambasting the airport, rather saying it's a shame that an airport I'd actively prefer to use, isn't supplying anything close to my demand - and I know it's the same for others.

D'Agger wrote: »

I agree generally most summer routes are may to oct but any of them from cork I'm attracted too are mid june to sept....its easy to say support cork airport but not everyone is flexi with travel dates, loads travel off peak and apart from the UK its limited enough. its so frustrating coz I like travelling from cork airport and I do support it when it suits me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭.red.

If you look up Corks routes and check dates it is very limited for weekends away. Theres very few places that you can fly to on a friday afternoon and come back on a sunday evening.
    This makes people look towards Dublin and Shannon as they dont want to take a few days holidays to book 2 nights away.

.red. wrote: »
    If you look up Corks routes and check dates it is very limited for weekends away. Theres very few places that you can fly to on a friday afternoon and come back on a sunday evening.
    This makes people look towards Dublin and Shannon as they dont want to take a few days holidays to book 2 nights away.

exactly this is what cork is missing big time you cant support the airport if the options aint there

It is rumoured that the new Norwegian service between Cork and Boston is not going to happen this year with an official announcement due later today or tomorrow

Yes, begining to look that way. USA airlines and unions got in the way I'm afraid. Looks like we will be going to SNN for the time being. I hope the SNN lobby had nothing to do with this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It is rumoured that the new Norwegian service between Cork and Boston is not going to happen this year with an official announcement due later today or tomorrow

That's a fcukin disgrace if true.Arsehole politicians again asleep at the wheel.

• Advertisement

What exactly do people think the politicians had in this decision? Do you honestly expect them to call up the US authorities and ask them to compromise their laws just to get a 3pw transatlantic service to a local Irish airport? Even more absurdly, how at all could the SNN lobby affect the decision at all? Seriously stop calling conspiracy when there's not one. Cork has gotten some load of announcements this year, its not like this would make or break the airport. If Aer Lingus, United or any others wanted to start a service they could, nothing's stopping them!

Neither Shannon nor any politicians here could influence the outcome.

US Pilot/Crew Unions don't want Norwegian establishing themselves on the transatlantic market both because their labour conditions have raised eyebrows on the past and they think it will be a race to the bottom. These Unions have huge influence on the US DOT.

The license they are looking for would be used to allow flights from a whole tonne of places in Europe to the USA, not just Cork.

So don't blame politicians, dont blame Cork, Shannon or Norwegian. Blame the Unions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

US Pilot/Crew Unions don't want Norwegian establishing themselves on the transatlantic market both because their labour conditions have raised eyebrows on the past and they think it will be a race to the bottom. These Unions have huge influence on the US DOT.

The license they are looking for would be used to allow flights from a whole tonne of places in Europe to the USA, not just Cork.

So don't blame politicians, dont blame Cork, Shannon or Norwegian. Blame the Unions!

So you think that people should have no right to a reasonable standard of employment?
    The setting up of an "Irish" subsidiary was a cynical attempt to circumvent Norwegian labour regulations.

So you think that people should have no right to a reasonable standard of employment?
    The setting up of an "Irish" subsidiary was a cynical attempt to circumvent Norwegian labour regulations.

I don't think that at all!

I don't think that at all!
    So why then include a comment blaming the unions?

Might be better highlighting that the announcement was another cynical move.

How many aircraft do Norwegian have?

How many are assigned to its "Irish" subsidiary?

So why then include a comment blaming the unions?

Because there will be a tendency by people to try attribute blame to somebody for what has happened. It is because of the Union influence on the US DOT that no license has been granted. I'm not condoning poor conditions for anyone, just stating a fact.

• Advertisement

Because there will be a tendency by people to try attribute blame to somebody for what has happened. It is because of the Union influence on the US DOT that no license has been granted. I'm not condoning poor conditions for anyone, just stating a fact.

Selective use of facts

When can we expect the Cork Airport 2015 passenger numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

There needs to be an airport for the West too, just a far smaller one. It's a bit much to suggest that Clare/ Galway are in Cork's catchment area and Waterford in Shannon's.

Ah but there have been numerous airports serving the western side of Ireland over the years to be fair.

Ireland West Airport Knock in Co. Mayo
    Shannon International Airport, Shannon, Co. Clare
    Kerry Airport, Farranfore, Co. Kerry
    Galway Airport...no major commercial flights since October, 2011

Cork City & Co. Cork has a combined population of some 500,000 citizens alone and Cork International Airport should continue to receive sufficient financial investment from the state through the DAA and Irish Civil Aviation Authority as the region can better support it.

Cork has lined up Norwegian Air International (NAI) a subsidiary of Norwegian Air to launch transatlantic flights from Cork to Boston due to commence in May of this year in addition to future services that include a proposed Cork to Barcelona service from May, operating up to five flights a week and a Cork to New York service in 2017. However; despite Norwegian Air International (NAI) having lodged an application with the US Department of Transport (DoT) two years ago, there is still no word on the application.

Cork to Dublin flights is also a route that Cork airport is anxious to relaunch in some shape or form in the short to medium term because of the advantages of further route connectivity particularly for those passengers who may require the use of Dublin airport for onward travel to other destinations not currently served by Cork at this time.

Source:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/paschal-donohoe-urged-to-help-cork-airports-transatlantic-bid-376531.html

Recently booked returned flights on the madrid service.it appears to finish 17th of sept. For sept anyways it looks to have good bookings not many seats available..hopefully it returns 2017 and maybe have the service run a bit longer in the summer season

We've rowed the boat out:D and are going to Southampton in July. I think we're the only one's booked on that flight so far. I hope it dos'nt get pulled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement