Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBRC Sale of Siteserv at €100 million loss.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Boggles wrote: »
    But you can extrapolate multiple loss making scenarios in between to suit the tone of your arguement. :confused:
    I didn't. I suggested that he may have. My scenarios just showed that there were a number of different ways to get to the end figure, there was no qualitative assessment of those scenarios. I've said all along that we don't know whether he made or lost money, but you insisted that there was only one possible outcome.
    There is no evidence to suggest he purchased 1 share in the company.
    Except that there has to be some consideration given for the acquisition of shares, it was a public company.
    Your assumptions are unrealistic on the basis of what information we have and what information you're trying to make up.
    I am making nothing up. Pull your horns in and at least admit that there's a possibility that he could have lost money given the huge drop in the value of the shares. Even taking the float price as a starting position, the sale price represented a 93% loss.
    You don't have to make your point again, what you need to do is concede I am right, that the net end scenario for the company is exactly what you wanted.
    I wanted???? Do you think you're talking to Denis O'Brien or something :D
    I would have been in no rush to sell it.

I would have waited at least the few weeks until the awarding of the Irish Water contract was announced.
    A few weeks? From the date of the EGM until the announcement of the awarding of the contracts (three separate ones were awarded) was roughly 69 weeks. It would have been about 35 weeks before tenders were even invited. But if you take your start point at when they decided to sell the company then it was almost two years before the contract was awarded.
    I'll ask you your question, why do you think IBRC just didn't give the company the write off directly?
    I don't know. Which is why I'm asking the question. To me, it's the most glaring one of them all.
    Did they think that a sale would get them more money than they'd have to write off directly with the company?
    Was there a policy in place in IBRC not to do write down deals with customers? I somehow doubt this but it has to be asked.
    Were IBRC already in wind down mode and trying to offload customers as quickly as possible?

That's why I asked the question. Nobody has even addressed it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rrpc wrote: »
    I didn't. I suggested that he may have. My scenarios just showed that there were a number of different ways to get to the end figure, there was no qualitative assessment of those scenarios. I've said all along that we don't know whether he made or lost money, but you insisted that there was only one possible outcome.

Negative, I said given the information we know, the realistic assumption would be he didn't lose "a bucket load of cash" on his shares.

Now if you can support this assumption apart from hearsay, then go ahead, otherwise your assumption all though within the realms of possibility is not realistic given the information we actually know.
    I am making nothing up. Pull your horns in and at least admit that there's a possibility that he could have lost money given the huge drop in the value of the shares. Even taking the float price as a starting position, the sale price represented a 93% loss.

Well you are either making stuff up or getting things wrong intentionally, I've all ready corrected you when you claimed the shares floated for €50. It was 55cent a share.

They eventually sold for circa €4. i.e a lot higher than 55 cent.

So where does the 93% loss come from? :confused:

Also you are assuming he paid for the 22% share holding at the floatation price, he reduced his share holding from 27%. I don't know if he paid for the 22% or was given them as a condition of the float.

Either way, your numbers and therefore your assumptions are based on to be kind misinformation.

A few weeks? From the date of the EGM until the announcement of the awarding of the contracts (three separate ones were awarded) was roughly 69 weeks. It would have been about 35 weeks before tenders were even invited. But if you take your start point at when they decided to sell the company then it was almost two years before the contract was awarded.

We have been through this, Bord Gais were all ready a major client of Siteserv, one could reasonable assume given the "happy" working relationship in place they would have been more than considered for any future public contracts.

It was suggested at the time by numerous commentators, they were bang on.
    I don't know. Which is why I'm asking the question. To me, it's the most glaring one of them all.
    Did they think that a sale would get them more money than they'd have to write off directly with the company?
    Was there a policy in place in IBRC not to do write down deals with customers? I somehow doubt this but it has to be asked.
    Were IBRC already in wind down mode and trying to offload customers as quickly as possible?

That's why I asked the question. Nobody has even addressed it yet.

Nobody is addressing it I imagine because it is moot.

Doubt it was in IRBCs remit to show prefential treatment to certain companies whilst obliterating others, would have been a legal mind field.

The current board of directors / management would have had junk credit ratings anyway, so approving effectively 10s of millions to bail it out would have been unsound business practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

JRant wrote: »
    I would have thought the answer to that question is quite clear.
    Dukes signs off the debt write down on the sale.
    DOB swoops in and gets it for a song.
    Hogan gives DOB a lovely state contract to install meters.

They're not even trying to hide it. Just in your face cronyism.

We have been through this, Bord Gais were all ready a major client of Siteserv, one could reasonable assume given the "happy" working relationship in place they would have been more than considered for any future public contracts.

Very few people seem to have an understanding of how public tenders work. They follow extremely strict EU guidelines and are open for challenge if any wrongdoing is even suspected - It is so strict that if your tender document is a minute passed the deadline, it is returned unopened to you and there is zero chance of it being considered.

Also, three compnaies won tenders for different parts of the country

GMC/Sierra Ltd.; J Murphy & Sons Ltd.; and Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.

No-one seems to be asking about the other compnaies? - All tender rules and regulations were identical for all three tenders, so Murphy & Coffey were perfect and GMC was didgy?

Pull the other one.

Even the most hysterical/underhand of tabloid journalists have failed to find any fault yet. - And the Sunday Times "scoop" has been found to be a total damp squib. Imagine a "journalist" not asking for info because he "assumed" he would not get it! - That's journalism 2015 for you!

delahuntv wrote: »
    Very few people seem to have an understanding of how public tenders work.

Tell me so, how do they work?

And how do the guidelines achieve complete impartiality on how the contract is awarded?

They follow extremely strict EU guidelines and are open for challenge if any wrongdoing is even suspected - It is so strict that if your tender document is a minute passed the deadline, it is returned unopened to you and there is zero chance of it being considered.

Strict all right, all though having no Tax Clearance Cert is grand. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Very few people seem to have an understanding of how public tenders work. They follow extremely strict EU guidelines and are open for challenge if any wrongdoing is even suspected - It is so strict that if your tender document is a minute passed the deadline, it is returned unopened to you and there is zero chance of it being considered.

Also, three compnaies won tenders for different parts of the country

GMC/Sierra Ltd.; J Murphy & Sons Ltd.; and Coffey Northumbrian Ltd.

No-one seems to be asking about the other compnaies? - All tender rules and regulations were identical for all three tenders, so Murphy & Coffey were perfect and GMC was didgy?

Pull the other one.

Even the most hysterical/underhand of tabloid journalists have failed to find any fault yet. - And the Sunday Times "scoop" has been found to be a total damp squib. Imagine a "journalist" not asking for info because he "assumed" he would not get it! - That's journalism 2015 for you!

The tendering process is fine. It's how they award these contracts where the issue lies.

I mean, come on, FG's largest benefactor happens to snap up Siteserve with the approval of a former FG leader and is then granted a huge public contract by a FG minister.

Now where have we seen this before?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

According to Catherine Murphy TD, the appointment of the judge to review the deal may make it immune from FOI requests. Is Labour going to just take it? Yes like they take everything else. They stood up to FF under Spring but FG have castrated them politically.

Also the Irish Times claims an advisor from Davy Stockbrokers worked on both the Siteserv and the Esat deals and was appointed to the Dept of Finance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

According to Catherine Murphy TD, the appointment of the judge to review the deal may make it immune from FOI requests. Is Labour going to just take it? Yes like they take everything else. They stood up to FF under Spring but FG have castrated them politically.

Also the Irish Times claims an advisor from Davy Stockbrokers worked on both the Siteserv and the Esat deals and was appointed to the Dept of Finance.

The Circus goes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/siteserv-adviser-worked-on-o-brien-s-esat-deals-1.2194400

Des Carville, the Davy adviser to Siteserv who co-ordinated its 2012 sale to a company controlled by Denis O’Brien, previously helped the prominent stockbroking firm to advise the billionaire such as on deals involving Esat, the telecoms company that made his fortune.

there are so many little side plots to this story it is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/siteserv-adviser-worked-on-o-brien-s-esat-deals-1.2194400

Des Carville, the Davy adviser to Siteserv who co-ordinated its 2012 sale to a company controlled by Denis O’Brien, previously helped the prominent stockbroking firm to advise the billionaire such as on deals involving Esat, the telecoms company that made his fortune.

there are so many little side plots to this story it is unreal.

Not the only ESAT connection it would seem.

CHANGE is afoot at SiteServ. The company has just appointed Sean Corkery as its new chairman and chief executive, a man whose experience ranges from Esat to AST Computer to Apple.

His appointment comes a year after SiteServ was bought by Denis O'Brien's Millington. Mr Corkery will have a clean slate to work with. This acquisition, coupled with a sizeable debt write-off, left SiteServ virtually debt free and ready to capitalise on new orders.
    http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/siteserv-appoints-corkery-as-new-chief-executive-29457958.html

Negative, I said given the information we know, the realistic assumption would be he didn't lose "a bucket load of cash" on his shares.

Now if you can support this assumption apart from hearsay, then go ahead, otherwise your assumption all though within the realms of possibility is not realistic given the information we actually know.
    I don't think you know what hearsay is? I'm not reporting something somebody else said, I'm proposing an alternative using the exact same 'information we know' and it seems that some of the information you 'know' is wrong. See below.
    Well you are either making stuff up or getting things wrong intentionally, I've all ready corrected you when you claimed the shares floated for €50. It was 55cent a share.

They eventually sold for circa €4. i.e a lot higher than 55 cent.

So where does the 93% loss come from? :confused:
    I accepted that they floated at 55 cent although it's also true that they went to 90 cent at an early stage.

Well that's where you're wrong. They were basically a penny share in early 2012 and you've a couple of decimal places out on their final value. It sold for 3.92 cents not 3.92 euro.

About half way down the page you'll see the final value paid to shareholders.
    Also you are assuming he paid for the 22% share holding at the floatation price, he reduced his share holding from 27%. I don't know if he paid for the 22% or was given them as a condition of the float.

Either way, your numbers and therefore your assumptions are based on to be kind misinformation.
    When a private company floats, the shareholders funds in the private company are converted to shares in the public company but are diluted by the amount that is floated. This dilution is dependant on the percentage of the company that is given for sale on the stock market. So if you own 50% of the company and 50% of it is sold on the market your shareholding is halved to 25%.

As was pointed out above, a tender is never a done deal. As it turned out, Siteserv effectively got one sixth of the contract; the country was divided in three equal parts and GMC/Sierra got one third but GMC/Sierra is not a subsidiary of SiteServ, it's a joint venture between Sierra (a subsidiary of SiteServ) and GMC (a separate company owned by Gerry McCloskey).
    Nobody is addressing it I imagine because it is moot.

Doubt it was in IRBCs remit to show prefential treatment to certain companies whilst obliterating others, would have been a legal mind field.

The current board of directors / management would have had junk credit ratings anyway, so approving effectively 10s of millions to bail it out would have been unsound business practice.
    These deals are happening all over the country. What do you think 'haircut' means in the context of loan book transfers to NAMA and bad debt provisions and write downs mean in the context of individual bank's accounts?

• Advertisement

I accepted that they floated at 55 cent although it's also true that they went to 90 cent at an early stage.

Well that's where you're wrong. They were basically a penny share in early 2012 and you've a couple of decimal places out on their final value. It sold for 3.92 cents not 3.92 euro.

About half way down the page you'll see the final value paid to shareholders.

When a private company floats, the shareholders funds in the private company are converted to shares in the public company but are diluted by the amount that is floated. This dilution is dependant on the percentage of the company that is given for sale on the stock market. So if you own 50% of the company and 50% of it is sold on the market your shareholding is halved to 25%.

Sorry, we are both having problems with decimal points.

Point remains, he paid zero for his initial shares.
    As was pointed out above, a tender is never a done deal. As it turned out, Siteserv effectively got one sixth of the contract; the country was divided in three equal parts and GMC/Sierra got one third but GMC/Sierra is not a subsidiary of SiteServ, it's a joint venture between Sierra (a subsidiary of SiteServ) and GMC (a separate company owned by Gerry McCloskey).

Most of the tenders grabbed companies that had expertise in Water Metering installations, all though I'm not so sure how much experience GMC had.

Also as far as I am aware the country was divided into 8 regions, at 125,000 homes a region. 3 into 8 doesn't go, so one of the companies got the bigger contract. There was talk about the final 2 regions not being handed out until later though, so I don't know if they even been awarded.

It's not mental to suggest that Bord Gais showed preferntial treatment to a company that it all ready had a working relationship with, if anything it makes good business sense.
    These deals are happening all over the country. What do you think 'haircut' means in the context of loan book transfers to NAMA and bad debt provisions and write downs mean in the context of individual bank's accounts?

But have you examples of IRBC allowing direct write offs to other companies and letting them on their way?

Could they do it, was it in their remit?

Sorry, we are both having problems with decimal points.

Point remains, he paid zero for his initial shares.
    Apparently he didn't. I had a look at the first year accounts (July 2005). I can't link it here because you have to pay a subscription to access this kind of data from the Companies Office, but I'll quote the relevant line from the accounts:
    "During the period 31st July 2005, the company issued 318,750 "A" ordinary shares and 1,275,000 "B" ordinary shares for a total consideration of €1,200,032 to increase the capital base of the company"

I think some of the libraries have free access to these online subscription company search services (Tallaght Library I know have it), so you can go in there and have a look yourself if you want to check it.
    Most of the tenders grabbed companies that had expertise in Water Metering installations, all though I'm not so sure how much experience GMC had.

Also as far as I am aware the country was divided into 8 regions, at 125,000 homes a region. 3 into 8 doesn't go, so one of the companies got the bigger contract. There was talk about the final 2 regions not being handed out until later though, so I don't know if they even been awarded.
    There's not much info on the net about it and what there is is contradictory. Here it says that there were four awards. Usefully, it breaks them down by region:

GMC/Sierra is responsible for the installation of water meters in households in the Dublin City, Midlands, South East and North West regions i.e. Dublin City, Wicklow, Kildare, Offaly, Laois, Mayo, Roscommon, Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim

Murphy Group: Counties Kerry, Cork, Galway, Clare, North Tipperary, and Limerick

Coffey Group/Northumbrian Water: Counties Monaghan, Cavan, Dundalk, Longford, Westmeath, and Meath

Farrans: County Dublin (South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and Fingal)

I've no idea (and am not bored enough to check;)) what the numbers of households are in each of those regions.
    It's not mental to suggest that Bord Gais showed preferntial treatment to a company that it all ready had a working relationship with, if anything it makes good business sense.
    Not in a normal (below tender level) business relationship. But once you get into tender level (and there are thresholds for tenders to be national only or EU wide) and especially when it gets to EU level (which this was) none of that matters. Companies tendering MUST meet the tender requirements to the letter and the award has to be in accordance with the tender criteria. Anything even slightly amiss and you're open to massive penalties and legal consequences.
    But have you examples of IRBC allowing direct write offs to other companies and letting them on their way?

Could they do it, was it in their remit?
    Well this is the crux of it. I don't know in the case of IBRC what the policy was, because all I can find is reference to write offs relating to company sales. It's clear that other banks were doing it because they are saying so in the case of SMEs and mortgage holders.

So the question is still open in my mind.

so you can go in there and have a look yourself if you want to check it.

Ah no, you're grand. :pac:
    Not in a normal (below tender level) business relationship. But once you get into tender level (and there are thresholds for tenders to be national only or EU wide) and especially when it gets to EU level (which this was) none of that matters. Companies tendering MUST meet the tender requirements to the letter and the award has to be in accordance with the tender criteria. Anything even slightly amiss and you're open to massive penalties and legal consequences.

Yeah, I think there is too much creed being place in the tendering process and how it is a bastion of complete impartiality.

It's not. Final decision comes down to the company tendering.
    I'd question the severity of penalties as well, we got a verbal warning over the postcode tender, but that was more due to the process than the actual final awarding. No one is arguing that any of the companies selected didn't fill the form out correctly and meet the criteria, which is basically what it is.
    Well this is the crux of it. I don't know in the case of IBRC what the policy was, because all I can find is reference to write offs relating to company sales. It's clear that other banks were doing it because they are saying so in the case of SMEs and mortgage holders.

So the question is still open in my mind.

Yeah banks were doing it, AIB not so much BOI.

But were IBRC allowed do it and if you can't find any evidence of it, then I suggest you close it in your mind.

;)

Ah no, you're grand. :pac:
    Cheers :)
    Yeah, I think there is too much creed being place in the tendering process and how it is a bastion of complete impartiality.

It's not. Final decision comes down to the company tendering.
    I'd question the severity of penalties as well, we got a verbal warning over the postcode tender, but that was more due to the process than the actual final awarding. No one is arguing that any of the companies selected didn't fill the form out correctly and meet the criteria, which is basically what it is.
    Ah, it's more than a form! These tenders end up the size of large encyclopaedias, they're massive! Even the tender request documents can be huge. You should have a look at some of the ones on etenders.gov.ie. The real deterrent though is that under-bidders in a tender could potentially sue for the full tender price.
    Yeah banks were doing it, AIB not so much BOI.

But were IBRC allowed do it and if you can't find any evidence of it, then I suggest you close it in your mind.

;)
    The problem is that search results are heavily weighted towards SiteServ and anything else gets drowned out in the noise.

But I did come across this about Jurys Inns. There are no separate figures for each of the banks involved, but clearly IBRC were involved and Jurys Inns continued as a going concern.

So the answer is yes, IBRC were doing it (with the caveat that they were part of a group of banks involved and presumably had to go along with the others).

Ah, it's more than a form! These tenders end up the size of large encyclopaedias, they're massive! Even the tender request documents can be huge. You should have a look at some of the ones on etenders.gov.ie. The real deterrent though is that under-bidders in a tender could potentially sue for the full tender price.

Yeah, no doubt it's a large document, etc, etc, etc.

It still can't impose impartiality on who wins the contract though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's mind bogglingly simple in my view. This review cannot be considered independent or impartial unless it's undertaken by a body with absolutely no connections to anyone involved, or any conflicts of interest whatsoever.

Allowing KPMG to do it is exactly what's wrong with this country - even if there's nothing untoward going on, the public can never truly accept whatever findings this kangaroo review comes up with because everyone knows the reviewer has a vested interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER from Charter:
    Dr Galen wrote:

Certain standards of debate are expected, and will be enforced.

This forum is not a newsdump, blog or somewhere to post copy & pastes from other sites. All OP's and posts require some input of your own.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0506/699218-dail-siteserv/

Government win Dail vote on Siteserv inquiry.

The government will now want to bury this story for as long as possible.

And of course, they are putting it all back on Fianna Fáil. That seems to be the main argument over the past 4 years.

I wonder did IBRC do any sweetheart debt deals under FFs watch? Or lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I hope this shady deal is fully exposed. Bad enough that the deal took place but government covering themselves in sh1t by voting through a sham of an investigation, basically admitting that there is plenty that needs covering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

mickdw wrote: »
    I hope this shady deal is fully exposed. Bad enough that the deal took place but government covering themselves in sh1t by voting through a sham of an investigation, basically admitting that there is plenty that needs covering up.

What do you find shady? From Hobbes RTE interview all seemed okay to me.

All big deals are complex and complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Alan Dukes was appointed public interest representative by Brian Cowen's government. This was seen as a nice cross party gesture and Dukes was regarded as above suspicion (of course suspicion can never be expressed in Ireland because of the defamation laws). The fact that he conducted Fine Gael's internal review of Lowry's behaviour around the ESAT deal didn't come up much (why would it?) .

Brian Cowen is now working for Dennis O'Brien and Dennis O'Brien now owns Siteserv.

And of course, they are putting it all back on Fianna Fáil. That seems to be the main argument over the past 4 years.

Good loser wrote: »
    What do you find shady? From Hobbes RTE interview all seemed okay to me.

All big deals are complex and complicated.
    If Siteserv was about to run out of money what bills were falling due that they could not pay?
    Why was Siteserv not put into administration?
    Hobbes claim about the need to rush the deal does not make sense if the bills falling due that could not be serviced were to IBRC and what else could they have been?

kidneyfan wrote: »
    If Siteserv was about to run out of money what bills were falling due that they could not pay?
    Hobbes claim about the need to rush the deal does not make sense if the bills falling due that could not be serviced were to IBRC and what else could they have been?

and then to spend €5 million to pay off the shareholders.
    most companies are put into administration first, then debts restructured, then sold.

I wonder did the IRBC or Siteserv board know that there was a nice juicy tender coming down the tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So let me get this narrative straight in my head.

Fianna Fáil wants a full independent commission of investigation;
    FG/LAB decide there should be none;
    FG/LAB blame FF entirely.

If that was truly the case and FF was to blame:
    1) Why the **** would FF ask for a CoI, knowing there would be a result (probably around election time) blaming FF?
    2) Why the **** would FG/LAB refuse, knowing there would be a result (probably around election time) blaming FF?

:facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The government wins every Dail vote by default. I fail to see how the government winning a vote is ever considered a story, or how any Dail vote which might criticise the government is ever seen as a cause for hope by those opposed to government policy.

News organizations should just plaster "If there were any Dail votes today, the government automatically won them" instead of reporting on individual votes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 wisejohn

i want to see the nominee register in davys, then i want to know how much work does albert nobbs do for o brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

wisejohn wrote: »
    i want to see the nominee register in davys, then i want to know how much work does albert nobbs do for o brien.

I want next weeks Euromillions numbers.

I want next weeks Euromillions numbers.
    Dinny's already got them.

Dinny's already got them.

And Denis probably got offered them at a discount from the state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

Trade creditors surely.

Your first question is preposterous.

Advertisement