Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭MFPM

I'd imagine India will look to very big here and try bat once, either way England look done here.

Rohit goes to Stokes first ball after lunch...cue usual Stokes hyperbole!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Rohit Sharma on 103, BenStokes with the ball in his hand after almost a year, and what a first ball, Rohit Sharma clean bowled by Ben Stokes … magic

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

… and Anderson gets Gill in the next over - 2 new comers at the crease now - chance for England to get back into the game

England toil all morning for nothing then get two quick wickets. They're not back in the game but it stalls India's momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

India scoring at 4.3 without many risks. England scored at 3.78. Slogball is failing

Khan really coming to the party here after a slow start, big 6 off Wood. Lead up to 134.

Another wicket immediately at the start of a session for England. Lead up to 168. Nice way to go to 50 for Padikkal, 6 off Bashir.

Bashir bowls Padikkar for 65. Great ball. Lead now 185.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Look at the scorecard, first five Indian batsmen all get 50s and 2 centuries in there.

Only one English batsman in first 5 gets a 50 and no centuries.

The English goose is well and truly cooked. Their tactics and ability to graft, stay in the game shown to be very flaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Feel sorry for Bashir and Hartley. It's a different game if England made 400, bit of scoreboard pressure and it puts some wear on the pitch. Their job would be made so much easier. England's senior batsmen have let them down this series. Crawley and Duckett have got them off to a strong start nearly every time and they have failed to build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep. Chink of light for NZ now. Get rid of the night watchman quickly and then they need just 5 more….

the confidence of the NZ batsmen will be low so them looking to chase even 190/200…. dunno if I’d be rushing into paddy power to back them… interesting night’s cricket ahead either way….

Wonder what sort of lead NZ can establish ? They’ve bowled exceptionally and fielded on the whole quite well, just the one bad drop… looks like they’ll only have to chase a double digit deficit after all and then trying to post a competitive total shall be interesting….. exciting evening and couple of days ahead…

Might not establish any lead, could be 80 all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Xander10

England's openners gone for 2 runs. India probably won't have to bat again this series

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

700 for Anderson at last. Surely he'll retire after the summer now, getting those last few wickets to get to 700 was a bit of a slog for him.

England in the mire. Might no make it to day 4. Ashwin has 4, so many of the Indian bowlers have really stepped up when needed this series. Eng 103/5 - 156 behind.

NZ lead by 40 with 8 wickets in hand. If they could set Australia 250+ it could be interesting but given their record its hard to see it happening, loads of time in the game too.

Foakes gone. Ashwin gets 5. England 6 down.

• Advertisement

Stupid review that!

Bumrah comes to the party, Hartley and Wood fall to him. Can he take Root again?

Bashir did well there to stick around and score a dew runs. England 9 down, the end is nigh. Can Anderson stick around to let Root get 100?

Root out, Kuldeep takes the wicket, Bumrah takes the catch. Innings defeat for England. Great performance by India.

That didn't happen, but New Zealand never look far from a collapse. The pitch is supposed to get easier for batting on day 3. Baffled by the New Zealand commentators saying Will Young looks like a test player when he doesn't really. Looks like a good player from time to time, but they are taking the sight from our eyes from what I can see. Even contest now and New Zealand might have to get another 230-240

An innings and 64 run defeat for the English. 4-1 series defeat.

hardly laid a glove on India aside from the one victory…

they’re going to be really disappointed with every facet of their performance out there. Batting especially, very few standout moments,

New Zealand vs Australia is interesting, NZ going well after a disastrous first innings, I’d say they’ll be hopeful of setting Aus a target of around 260…. Have wickets in hand to do it but you never know, be an interesting watch tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Fully deserving winners are India. They are such a juggernaut at home they can cope with missing an all time great in Kohli. And big established players like KL, Pant and Shami. Future is bright with Jaiswal and Gill as well as Safaraz and Jurel. Attack was as relentless as always in home conditions.

In the main, England did fine. A lot of good days and memorable performances. Young spinners did better than anyone expected. Just a few too many underperforming batsmen and collapses that cost them promising positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Typical end of tour England where they just don't want to be there anymore. Always hear the same after a tour like this when they say they have much to ponder but they still end up naming practically the same side when their home tests resume.

I think they should start to bring in a couple of new players, particularly in the batting. I think with Bairstow getting to 100 tests now, that should be his time to move on. Hard to justify Ollie Pope being a certain starter as well when he continues to look frenetic and then gets out. At 26 now and having played over 40 tests, he really should becoming a future leader of the side but he doesn't really look any better since his first test match. Harry Brook obviously should come back in but they should also be looking at the likes of Bohannon, Rew, Hain and even Ollie Robinson (Kent) as a possible keeper if Foakes continues to be underwhelming as a batter. So if it was me, I would drop Pope and Bairstow, put Bohannon at 3 and bring Brook in at 5.

Bowling is a concern as they don't have obvious solutions. I'd imagine Anderson will continue on this summer and now try to get past Shane Warne, but he is probably one injury away from retirement. Potts should be back in contention after a good tour of India with the Lions, whilst Josh Tongue was ok last summer. They really could do with finding a fast bowler as the county championship is littered with medium/fast bowlers who need conditions to aid them.

I don't know whether I would pick Leach again simply because, he always either gets injured innocuously or he has some sort of medical condition. Bashir should be given the chance now to get a run in the side and see how he gets on.

Stokes is a huge issue also. Didn't score runs and only bowled when it became irrelevant. In modern test sides with the pace of the game, you have to have all-rounders. You look at Australia now and they have Green and Marsh to compliment the 4 main guys, and they simply never let up and you don't get a easy period as an opposing batter. All 3 India spinners can contribute with the bat and that makes life so much harder for the opposition. Of course Stokes is the first on the teamsheet as a captain, but if he isn't scoring runs, he sticks out like a sore thumb in the side. Normally England have dealt with this problem by going back and giving the gloves to Bairstow to add in another bowler but there has to be better solution than that.

Given its West Indies and Sri Lanka next summer I’d be really surprised if England don’t try a few new players during those series. If I’m a coach I’d just be determined to potentially sacrifice results over developing the side. Ample opportunity during those games…

It will be depressing for an English fan if the squads are rolled out and the likes of ‘Leachy’ who is in fact 33 next summer is included…..played a rake of test cricket and averages 2.06 wickets per test innings, is injury prone , was in the Ashes and again this series…

big ask but probably could do with a batsman, maybe a wicket keeper who can bat say an average over 33 and two new fast bowlers. On the subject of wicketkeepers Foakes has had ample opportunities but despite a couple of test hundreds his average after 24 tests is 29.91….basically meaning he isn’t good enough or reliable enough to bat at 6. Early 30’s so he won’t improve…..Bairstow is turning 35 so that kinda rules him out….

a lot of thinking and planning and decisions for the English management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You'd think that Stokes position should be under serious question. All very well talking the talk, but if you don't deliver then curtains. Heard he was bigging the team up again after this drubbing. Maybe someone needs to deflate him and say bye, bye.

Advertisement