Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Again, he was part of history, not a creator of it, disingenuous , sorry.

not a bowler ? He has bowled for Ireland, I think he’s taken about 2 wickets.

I attend Irish internationals every summer and in fact have travelled to watch Ireland matches :) outside the country even !

I don’t slag off players, I will engage in meaningful criticism if I deem its valid, if you don’t, I don’t really have much of an interest, sorry.

You think posters shouldn’t criticise cricket players on a cricket forum but you don’t have a problem indulging in mindless insults and childish name calling, I refer to your use of the term above, that term being ‘idiot’… 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

England tried a different approach the last game and also lost. Roots slowest hundred in years. Most of the dismissals in their second innings were to defensive shots. Duckett popped one gently to short leg when his game is power and all the sweep shots. Stokes has been out very timidly most of the series. Playing back to full balls. If you gave England no chance before the series, it's hard to be too critical of them now after winning a game and being very competitive at times in the games they came second best.

Were they that super competitive though ? Lost by…

5 wickets

434 runs 😬

106 runs

While sneaking a 28 run victory.

one absolute hammering, a mauling in fact….and two convincing defeats….

I didn’t fancy England you are right…. But I take little joy from their defeats from the perspective of a cricket fan and I’d prefer to see them competitive and consistently pushing India, cricket is such a brilliant sport when two teams are reasonably well matched….can be a bit meh otherwise….and as I’ve said, India wouldn’t be my favourite cricket nation…..but you see the English record over the last couple of decades out there, it’s difficult to see them reversing the trend…

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

"Take little joy in defeats" ahhha, you take nothing but joy in defeats. Constantly slagging teams and players who lose, never give an ounce of credit to the winning team. A bitter, bitter fella. If you haven't enjoyed this England series in India then I'm not sure you're a cricket fan at all really, despite repeatedly insisting you are. Your understanding of the game seems a bit limited to me tbh, always reducing everything to the end result. England were very competitive in this series, and it has produced plenty of good cricket.

I’ve enjoyed it, and I’m perfectly entitled to critique teams and players, :). If you want to enter into a civil discussion, but nope, again with the name calling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm a lurker more than a poster, read most threads but prob ~100 posts in cricket in 20 years. So feel free to ignore this.

I have definitely noticed that you tend to come across very negative to the loser of a contest - X beats Y and it's all about how terrible/disgraceful Y played, bad decisions made etc. And when Y beat X a month later then it's all about how the disgraceful shambles/flaws of X cricket. But you know, in every sporting contest there is by definition going to be a winner and a loser (albeit cricket has a draw obv); oftentimes the loser hasn't actually done much wrong.

As said just an independent observation, and probably not the way you intend your posts to come across. But they do imo.

Cricket is a very multifaceted, multiskilled and multidimensional sport and if an aspect of performances, be it captaincy, batting, bowling, fielding, umpiring isn’t great…. I’ll discuss that, same as I will and do the positive aspects…. Our opinions are born of our own personal perspective of the sport….i can discuss civilly with anyone, agree, disagree, debate and so on. There are negatives so justifiably they can and should be discussed,

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

I'll take it in small steps so your little brain might be able to understand.

Balbirnie created history by being captain of the first Irish Men's cricket team to win a Test match. His decisions taken in this game were integral to the win. Those decisions were: choosing the XI players; choosing when to introduce a bowler and how long to bowl him for; choosing which end bowlers bowl from (in this game this was a key element with a very strong wind blowing across the ground); placing fielders in the right place; attacking the Afghan batters at the right time; getting reviews right.

All of these decisions taken together created the win. From what you are saying, Balbirnie just stood by while the game went on around him and did nothing to create the win. That shows that you didn't watch this game and that you don't understand the concept of captaincy when it comes to cricket.

And you quite obviously slag off players, I'm not the only one to notice that. Your 'criticism' lacks nuance, consideration and balance. And you still haven't mentioned what an achievement it was by Balbirnie and his team to win their first Test match, not much of an Irish fan are you?

As for the name-calling, when you show yourself to be an idiot I've no problem in pointing that out.

^ you seem obsessed with brains, quite frankly it is very odd, amusing and passive aggressive but anyway…. 🙃

he was captain for what 12 years ?

how many international tournaments did we qualify for under that captaincy ?

how many occasions did we celebrate with gusto when we achieved an odd landmark victory vs England say, yet scarcely a mention when we were underperforming and being beaten by the like of Scotland and Oman, both incidentally, games that really mattered too. With him underperforming and not changing fields, bowlers, being completely non reactive ?

You might be an AB fanboy, good for you, you might be even related I don’t care really.

But his record isn’t all that enviable really….

we’ve had some good players as part of our ‘11’ in his time as we continue to do now.. so stick up for him all you like but where criticism is warranted I’m willing to discuss that, regardless of insults….which ain’t very off putting, sorry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭InsideEdge

It's really telling that you can't even congratulate Balbirnie and the team for a unique win, something you didn't even bother watching as an Irish 'fan'. Your obsession with slagging off players comes across as really bitter and you can't even acknowledge when a captain creates history for his country. You don't offer criticism at all, just relentless slagging off, which is pretty much the opposite of a discussion.

• Advertisement

England win the toss and bat, one change, Wood in for Robinson. Bumrah having been rested returns & Padikkalin on debut in for India…

plenty of swing and movement off the seam so far. Pitch here so notorious for deteriorating…

only 11° at the start of play and the shots of the pavilion and the winter arctic clothing the English are watching on in suggests it’s feeling colder…

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

3 gone

175 for 4 now (Bairstow gone)

Oooh 189 for 8 (Bashir 4 / Foakes 5)

52 overs

Kuldeep 5 for 72

England 218 all out (5 for Kuldeep and 4 for Ashwin)

now it will be interesting to see how India bats … if England can get a couple of wickets today then it’s the pitch otherwise England batted really poorly/India bowled really well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭MFPM

The spirit of Broad is alive and well, England trying to get the ball changed after 6 overs of the Indian innings!!

Long way to go but this is looking ominous for England.

They look goosed and some... unless they can with their bowling attack influence a collapse..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Another bad hour for England in this series and their middle order collapses in a heap again. Test pretty much over already you would have to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Fairly abysmal by England today. A heavy defeat will really wipe whatever sheen there was from a tour that had positives.

Strumms, give 'em hell, you finally have jurisdiction... 😜

• Advertisement

New Zealand vs Australia about to start, Aussies win the toss and will bowl.

New Zealand require the victory to tie the two test 😏 series. Weather looks conducive to facilitating all three possible outcomes so this should be interesting…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Listening on Radio New Zealand, SEZN Radio. Funny lot them Kiwis. They mentioned the umpire Fred Goodall who died a while ago. Talking about him as if he was some sort of genius. The chap was biased and corrupt, deaf dumb and blind. Singlehandedly won the home series against West Indies with his ridiculous decisions. New Zealand just lost Young for 14, 47/1 now, and Williamson in to bat in his 100th test

61/2 now, faintest of edges doing for Latham…..

Hazlewood bowling excellently…. Their own ground but NZ after a decent start all of a sudden having difficulty negotiating the swing and seaming pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

71/3 Ravindra out, New Zealand falling to bits again

Just 4 balls before lunch ? Awful shot really in fairness….

83/4...Australia on top. Can Williamson get NZ back into the game?

gone, you cursed him MFPM 😉

84/5… long tail after Phillips, Kugegelin on his day might give ya a few runs, he has domestic hundreds but not a fifty in any of his international outings as yet.

107/8… unless the aging NZ bowling attack find some sort of Phoenix from the flames like transformational U turn when it’s their turn to bowl, the test and series is done.

India 246 for 1 (Rohit 94 / Gill 91)

• Advertisement

Yeah, should have said nothing. His record against Australia is poor. Decent fightback by NZ bowlers.

Advertisement