Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Be amazing if he did it! Frame 30 onwards would be pretty dam tense I'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hawkins only needs 9 in a row, it's probably beyond but at least he's making Murphy work for it, only eight more centuries away from the tournament record, wasn't someone saying it's been a mediocre Championship.

9 in a row is doable.... Even though Murphy is my only bet left, I would love to see Hawkins make a real stab at it and push Murphy a bit. If it goes past the mid-interval break (i.e. Hawkins wins the first 4), Murphy would start to feel it.

The number of centuries is one way to measure how exciting a championship is. I think while the quality may be high this year, the excitement is quite low. Robertson, Ding, Ronnie and Selby are gone at this stage. I think we would all prefer those 4 over the current 4. All credit to Bingham and Hawkins but in terms of snooker, they are journey men. I know I have not been as wrapped up as I usually am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭qwabercd

There isn't a hope he'll win 9 frames on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

qwabercd wrote: »
    There isn't a hope he'll win 9 frames on the trot.

No hope when Murphy is just one away. When Murphy needed three and Hawkins was going well, there was hope but not now.
    I like both Hawkins and bingham. Sick of trump at this stage. The commentators keep saying he is such a mature player now but I don't see it tbh. He doesn't seem to have the stomach for grinding out tight ends to frames, going all out for too many half chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

mickdw wrote: »
    No hope when Murphy is just one away. When Murphy needed three and Hawkins was going well, there was hope but not now.
    I like both Hawkins and bingham. Sick of trump at this stage. The commentators keep saying he is such a mature player now but I don't see it tbh. He doesn't seem to have the stomach for grinding out tight ends to frames, going all out for too many half chances.

Yea. Trump seems to me to have something missing. I was just thinking how someone like Hendry would be so psyched up in his day at this stage of the proceedings but Judd just looks like he can't believe he's not winning as if he's just entitled to win. It's almost like he doesn't care that much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

bren2001 wrote: »

The number of centuries is one way to measure how exciting a championship is. I think while the quality may be high this year, the excitement is quite low. Robertson, Ding, Ronnie and Selby are gone at this stage. I think we would all prefer those 4 over the current 4. All credit to Bingham and Hawkins but in terms of snooker, they are journey men. I know I have not been as wrapped up as I usually am.

There has been a few exciting finishes, the last 3 evening sessions have been brilliant, Bingham has been brilliant against Trump so far, even this morning with Murphy consistantly winning frame after frame in one visit, I admired the sheer skill level even if it wasn't much of a contest.

This year there has been very few scrappy frames over 30 minutes and that's a good thing.

Murphy vs Trump is probably the final everyone wants, but Trump doesn't come across as that likeable so I'd like Bingham to win that but I fear the final would be a whitewash if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

fryup wrote: »
    What do you think of Trumps's Burger King sponsorship??

don't mean to be sniffy but it kinda cheapens the whole event, and in this age of childhood obesity its a bit inappropriate don't you think??

No it doesn't.

Childhood obesity isn't some kind of crazy illness.

It's there because lazy parents feed their kids junk food.
    Don't give them crap and they won't be fat.

colossus-x wrote: »
    Yes it's sticks out like sore thumb. But be careful, you may be accused of being a snob like I was when voicing an opinion on the changing of the whole look and feel of the presentation of the sport. Someone in the audience at this mornings opening had a placard that said "TON UP" ! The camera did a deliberate close up of it as Walker was introducing BarrrrrrrrrrrrrrY Hawins in boxing match or darts style. Apparently it's all an attempt to make the game more popular - by making it more appealing to the lower working classes. Like Darts. So I guess the theory is is that there are more lower working class ppl that more sophisticated cultured ppl like your typical snooker fan like myself so lowering of all standards is on the cards , slowly , bit by bit. Well it might work but will it make it better ? Defiantly not.

You were being a snob apart from talking absolute cobblers as well. Just like this post here funnily enough. It's an attempt to jazz up the game, make it more exciting, attract a younger audience and entice kids to take up the sport. Hope this makes it clearer for you.

Ha just realised you called yourself cultured and sophisticated. Get a grip.
    I just linked to an example where Murphy trashed the mighty Robinson ! The suggestion that somehow a Murphy on form would not be able to steamroll over Robinson is nonsense. Murphy is also an ex-champion and in my opinion a better player overall that Robinson. I'm a bit tired of some snooker fans being supporters of the flash players like Robinson , Trump etc. I actually think Robinson has a superiority complex which doesn't serve him well. I think it wipes off on his fans too.

Well that's embarrassing.

Shows how much you're into snooker when you get his name wrong 5 times.

Also it's hard to argue Murphy is better than ROBERTSON, when the latter has more ranking event titles, more prize money and has been world number one several times.

I say this as someone who doesn't like Robertson all that much and agree he seems a bit pompous.

Murphy vs Trump is probably the final everyone wants, but Trump doesn't come across as that likeable so I'd like Bingham to win that but I fear the final would be a whitewash if that's the case.

So why would Bingham beat Ronnie and Trump but get whitewashed by Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭bren2001

mdwexford wrote: »
    So why would Bingham beat Ronnie and Trump but get whitewashed by Murphy?

I want a Trump Murphy final because I think it would be the best snooker and would attract more viewers over Bingham. I do agree with Say in thinking that Bingham would be at risk of being whitewashed only for the reason that I believe the occasion might get to him a little. He was quite emotional reaching the SF, I think he would be at risk of being too cautious or overzealous in the opening session. Murphy has been there and done it. Trump has the arrogance to not let it phase him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fryup wrote: »
    What do you think of Trumps's Burger King sponsorship??

don't mean to be sniffy but it kinda cheapens the whole event, and in this age of childhood obesity its a bit inappropriate don't you think??

Eh, no. 'Should be eaten in moderation as part of a balanced diet'

If he was sponsored by Cadburys would you think it would lead to parents feeding kids chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

What about a drinks company?? At least tobacco sponsorship is gone and not before time. Although gambling isn't really any better.

be careful, you may be accused of being a snob
    making it more appealing to the lower working classes. Like Darts.
    So I guess the theory is is that there are more lower working class ppl that more sophisticated cultured ppl like your typical snooker fan like myself

Mmm-mmm.

Hawkins only needs 9 in a row, it's probably beyond but at least he's making Murphy work for it, only eight more centuries away from the tournament record, wasn't someone saying it's been a mediocre Championship.

16-8 in a 33 frame match is in no way making your opponent work for it!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

bren2001 wrote: »
    I want a Trump Murphy final because I think it would be the best snooker and would attract more viewers over Bingham. I do agree with Say in thinking that Bingham would be at risk of being whitewashed only for the reason that I believe the occasion might get to him a little. He was quite emotional reaching the SF, I think he would be at risk of being too cautious or overzealous in the opening session. Murphy has been there and done it. Trump has the arrogance to not let it phase him.

I think whoever wins deserves to be there.

If he beats Ronnie and Trump then Murphy should hold no fears for him in theory but as you say the occasion getting to him is always a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Murphy nailed on for the title irrespective of who wins the other semi.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

16-8 in a 33 frame match is in no way making your opponent work for it!

I meant that he played well in the 3rd session and has forced Murphy to play tomorrow afternoon, after the disaster he had in the morning session I thought Murphy would finish it tonight, I think he'll win it before the mid session.

Great safety play by Bingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Bingham playing out of his skin.
    Fair play to him, love to see him lift the title

Trump is getting frustrated and is just trying force things a bit too much, great stuff from Bingham, four in a row, hope he can finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,861 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Uphill task for Trump from here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Trump really needs the next 2, would set it up nicely for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

syngindub wrote: »
    Bingham playing out of his skin.
    Fair play to him, love to see him lift the title

Agreed, would love to see him do it, dont really have any favourites, but murphy has done it before, trump is still young, I would think this is binghams chance.

• Advertisement

Trump got a bit of luck there

That could be a turning point...

Bingham is still in a great position, but he deserves to be further ahead, if he got that pink and black it would be hard to see a way back for Trump, still it sets it up nicely for tonight, but if we get a great finish tonight that might have a negative effect on the winner in the first session tomorrow (presuming Murphy gets the frame he needs quickly)

Century to start from Hawkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Murphy through, finally. I reckon he might take it this year. He's a super player, & I actually like the guy - he seems so collected in interviews & down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Does anyone know what Hawkins' walk on song is? All I'm getting on Google is that it's Beautiful People by Chris Brown, which it definitely isn't.

Murphy looks in top form. I'd fancy him to take it, especially if he's against Stuart for some reason.

robman60 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Hawkins' walk on song is? All I'm getting on Google is that it's Beautiful People by Chris Brown, which it definitely isn't.

My Love by Kele Le Roc

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Come on Ball-run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Trump is wreckless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Why are Eurosport showing some no mark tennis match? Not like them. :(

Advertisement