Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OK, a clue:
    Its first visitor isn't expected until next month despite having left home in January 2006, with no stops, detours or breakdowns on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

Travelling since 2006! Some thing in space? Pluto was demoted. Not sure of anything else.

WildWater wrote: »
    Travelling since 2006! Some thing in space? Pluto was demoted. Not sure of anything else.

Correct - Well Done!

Because the definition of a planet was changed, poor old Pluto is no longer a planet. It's only a "dwarf planet" and a "plutoid" because a planet's gravity "sweeps its area in space and absorbs other objects." Pluto hasn't yet

The New Horizons space craft, the first to visit Pluto, is almost there, on its way to the Kuiper Belt.

Keeping it in space: Who was the last man to arrive on the moon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Keeping it in space: Who was the last man to arrive on the moon?

I think that's Apollo 17 in the '70s, but there were two astronauts. One of them has the moderately awesome name Harrison Schmidt. Not sure which was first/last though.

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    I think that's Apollo 17 in the '70s, but there were two astronauts. One of them has the moderately awesome name Harrison Schmidt. Not sure which was first/last though.

Apollo 17 Dec 1972 and yes Harriso Schmidt was onboard the LEM the other one was Gene (Eugene) Cernan. But which was last to arrive? And for a bonus point what was different about him compared to the other astronauts?

Schmitt went for his walk first. Cernan was last in, so he hoisted the drawbridge. 17 was Cernan's second trip - he was aboard 10 as well.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Schmitt went for his walk first. Cernan was last in, so he hoisted the drawbridge. 17 was Cernan's second trip - he was aboard 10 as well.

Cernan was last to leave the moon but the question was who was last to arrive? When they arrived who was second to leave the LEM?

Cernan was last to leave the moon but the question was who was last to arrive? When they arrived who was second to leave the LEM?

Emmm, Schmitt climbed out first; Cernan climbed out second(?)

Emmm, Schmitt climbed out first; Cernan climbed out second(?)

Actually no. Cernan was commander and climbed out first (and climbed in last) thus making Schmitt the last man to arrive on the moon. He was also the only scientist to go on a moon mission.

• Advertisement

Actually no. Cernan was commander and climbed out first (and climbed in last) thus making Schmitt the last man to arrive on the moon. He was also the only scientist to go on a moon mission.

Yes, my error. I was thrown by the word "arrived" because the lander "arrived" with two passengers, at the same time! or sump'n. It's late!

I mentioned the name above, but tbh, it was really by luck! Want to ask another?

I mentioned the name above, but tbh, it was really by luck! Want to ask another?

Samaris, it looks like a "no" from WildWater so, since you were closest, would you like to set the next question?

Grando!

Hrm...Mickey Mouse was designed by Ube Iwerks as a replacement for another, older flagship character after the ownership dispute was used by distributors Universal Studios as leverage to try get Disney to take a budget cut on their cartoons. Some eighty years later, he was traded back to Disney and now fully belongs to the Disney Corporation. What was the name of that first character?

Grando!

Hrm...Mickey Mouse was designed by Ube Iwerks as a replacement for another, older flagship character after the ownership dispute was used by distributors Universal Studios as leverage to try get Disney to take a budget cut on their cartoons. Some eighty years later, he was traded back to Disney and now fully belongs to the Disney Corporation. What was the name of that first character?

Seem to remember my Granda remarking, when trying to lighten the mood for us kids, that the man in the news at the time, Lee Harvey Oswald, was related to Mickey Mouse. "Whoh" we said. "Oh Yes, he was Mickey Mouse's father." Probably not forensically correct but was there an Oswald Wabbit?

Seem to remember my Granda remarking, when trying to lighten the mood for us kids, that the man in the news at the time, Lee Harvey Oswald, was related to Mickey Mouse. "Whoh" we said. "Oh Yes, he was Mickey Mouse's father." Probably not forensically correct but was there an Oswald Wabbit?

:D You're a menace at this, Brensbenz!

Yes indeed, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Recently returned to Disney in 2013.

:D You're a menace at this, Brensbenz!

Yes indeed, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Recently returned to Disney in 2013.

First sign of dimentia - detailed recollection of ancient data but can't remember if I took my medication this morning!

On a similar vain, Sgt. Bilko and Top Cat had a lot in common. For instance, Bilko's gang included the not-so-bright Doberman, while TC's gang included the not-so-bright Benny. What have Doberman and Benny actually got in common?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Their voices.

garancafan wrote: »
    Their voices.

9.9 / 10 but, for perfection, what have the voices of Doberman and Benny (the Ball) got in common?

Oh, wait! That question gives it away. Benny's voice was supplied by the actor who played Doberman, Maurice Gosfield.

So, well done. Your turn.

Wimbledon starts next week, so here is a topical one: In what circumstances in a game of tennis may a player win a set by a score of 6 games to 5?

• Advertisement

Hah, I have no chance with tennis questions! /bows out gracefully :D

Wimbledon starts next week, so here is a topical one: In what circumstances in a game of tennis may a player win a set by a score of 6 games to 5?

While it was formerly possible in Ireland it is not (sadly) currently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it starts raining? (I really have absolutely no idea, not even sure how tennis scoring works!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

While it was formerly possible in Ireland it is not (sadly) currently so.

So something we had, don't now have, but may again?
    Can this only happen in a ranking or professional tournament ?

So something we had, don't now have, but may again?
    Correct.

Can this only happen in a ranking or professional tournament ?
    This arises at all levels of the game.

Given the somewhat arcane nature of this question I think that - with the moderator's agreement - full recourse may be had to all sources of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Is this scoring only possible in "Real Tennis"

I see the only courts built here are either being restored or unplayable at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look the mods are not governing how this game is played, its working on a consensus basis for rules :D Unless yez get totally out of control that is!

• Advertisement

Given the somewhat arcane nature of this question I think that - with the moderator's agreement - full recourse may be had to all sources of information.

"Phew", I thought. "That would help". But it didn't! The explanations I found just now were written BY experts, FOR experts. Think you may get a cut and pasted answer!

I thought maybe a 6-5 set is fairly new, as is mandatory grunting. So I thought maybe a 6-5 would be allowed if, say at 5-5, the grunts from one player were dropping below the required decibel level. Strangely though, the sites I checked didn't mention grunting at all! That was my best guess!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement