Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Was it the wren?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nope, not that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

looksee wrote: »
    What animal was shown on the pre-decimal Irish half-penny (I seem to have a money thing going)

A lady pig and her little family.

Right Brens - and you are away again!

Oh, those foreigners - they'll argue about anything! Did you know that the Mayans, the Babylonians, the Sumerians and the Indians all claim to have invented the same thing, i.e. nothing! I kid you not! What exactly are they arguing about?

• Advertisement

Calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The digit 0 (Zero), or the concept of nothing

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The digit 0 (Zero), or the concept of nothing

Yes, zero, zip, nought, nowt, nawh'n. Maths got much better with zero! I think honours actually belong to the Babylonians but the others "helped".

Over to you.

What is special about the number 1789 ?

edit: It's a mathematical thing, not about dates

edit: It's a mathematical thing, not about dates

Hmmm, "mathematical" as in "logical"?

This is arithmetical at most and certainly not logical: In my student years, the "weird wan" told us all about magic numbers, angel numbers and other vital information. 1+7+8+9 = 25; 2+5 = 7 and, as we all know, "7" is a magic / angel number and, when we have "7", all is well with the world. Oh how we laughed!

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Hmmm, "mathematical" as in "logical"?

This is arithmetical at most and certainly not logical: In my student years, the "weird wan" told us all about magic numbers, angel numbers and other vital information. 1+7+8+9 = 25; 2+5 = 7 and, as we all know, "7" is a magic / angel number and, when we have "7", all is well with the world. Oh how we laughed!

Not what I had in mind. Its the smallest number that has the property I am thinking of.

Its the smallest perfect number that can be divided by twice the square root of 1.

possibly.

looksee wrote: »
    Its the smallest perfect number that can be divided by twice the square root of 1.

possibly.

Not true, given that twice the square root of 1 is 2
    But it the smallest number that has the property

Not true, given that twice the square root of 1 is 2
    But it the smallest number that has the property

Sorry Bonzo, I was making that up as I went along, I have zero maths ability - though I can add up in the supermarket pretty fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I was going to answer that it's the taxi cab number but I was out by 60. I dunno. It's a prime number at least? :D

Samaris wrote: »
    I was going to answer that it's the taxi cab number but I was out by 60. I dunno. It's a prime number at least? :D

It is prime, but not the smallest!

I'll give you an hour or two, then I'll ask a different one, as its prob not that easy if you're not a connoisseur of obscure arithmetical facts!

Isn't there a mathematician's "magic" number 6714 or 6174 maybe? There's a sequence of subtracting a number from itself in reverse, e.g. 9871 - 1789 which gives you 8082. Then you do the same with 8082 and repeat the subtraction until you fall asleep I mean arrive at 6714 / 6174. Obviously I'm struggling to remember the details but it'a bit like those "think of a number, don't tell me; add 5; subtract 2; divide by 6", etc. etc. and you can magically reveal the secret number.

Clue: its the smallest number that satisfies a particular condition. It involves a sum, i.e. a+b

Er, it's not the smallest number expressible by the sum of two cubes in two different ways, is it?

• Advertisement

Er, it's not the smallest number expressible by the sum of two cubes in two different ways, is it?

It most certainly is, well done! 10**3 + 9**3 or 12**3 + 1**3

Off ya go Samaris

Sorry lads, I'm lost!

10**3 = (1000) + 9**3 (729) = 1729

12**3 = (1728) + 1**3 (1) = 1729

And isn't 1729 the "taxi cab" number from Samaris post 556, which was "out by 60"?

Sorry lads, I'm lost!

10**3 = (1000) + 9**3 (729) = 1729

12**3 = (1728) + 1**3 (1) = 1729

And isn't 1729 the "taxi cab" number from Samaris post 556, which was "out by 60"?

*coughs* Yeah, I had a feeling it was that from the clues, but I'm afraid it should be 1729, yis.

What is the biggest moon in our solar system?

Yeah buh....the original question in Bonzo's post 550 concerned 1789 and not 1729?

Anyway, Ganymede.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Titan?

Ganymede it is, the third moon of Jupiter.

You're up, Brens!

Edit: Misread Titan as Triton, somehow.. :D

Oops! I did of course mean 1729. Apologies!
    I'm sure you would have all got it instantly....

OK. Who or what was demoted because "it doesn't dominate and hasn't cleaned up its neighbourhood?

OK. Who or what was demoted because "it doesn't dominate and hasn't cleaned up it's neighbourhood?

I don't know the direct quote, but I'm thinking a cathedral to a church?

• Advertisement

I don't know the direct quote, but I'm thinking a cathedral to a church?

No, not that. The quote may not be the exact words used by the authority making the decision but it gives the gist of their reasoning.

Oh, I should mention that I corrected their spelling of "neighbourhood".....so they probably come from that far away land of bad spellers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement