Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Ssssssssssssssssssnakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Layinghen wrote: »
    Ssssssssssssssssssnakes.

Correct! :D

In the human body what is the hallux?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Samaris wrote: »
    Correct! :D

Awww ssssshhhhhhuuuuucks

Big toe. Did I tell yiz how chemo can affect your hallux?

Correct. Over to you....

• Advertisement

Uhm..something in the spine?

Edit: Wow that moved fast :D

Nope and Brens has beaten you to it:D

Hehe, I saw after I'd put my wild guess in!

Ah well, it was worth a try;)

Uhm..something in the spine?

Edit: Wow that moved fast :D

Looks as if you have to be quick with this lot online tonight!

OK, my pet subject:
    Flags are important in boats. For instance, if I sail into a foreign port, I should fly my national flag and the national flag of the port I'm heading for, i.e. a courtesy flag. If sailing into a "sailing" port, I might also fly the flag of my sailing club. Here is Skerries Sailing Club's flag. What are these sailing club flags known as?

352464.jpg

• Advertisement

...Bunting?

Burgees - have sailing clubs here in the Kingdom as well:D:D

...Bunting?

No! Bunting is stuff you keep in a damp knot in your attic for special occasions. Great thought goes into the design of a club's "flag" and it is unique to that club.

I have a great clue....but not yet!

BrensBenz wrote: »
    No! Bunting is stuff you keep in a damp knot in your attic for special occasions. Great thought goes into the design of a club's "flag" and it is unique to that club.

I have a great clue....but not yet!

Ah, it was kinda close to the word, assuming Layinghen is right up there! :D

Er, is that a goat on it?

Burgees - have sailing clubs here in the Kingdom as well:D:D

Correct - excellent.

The great clue was that it derives from "bourgeois".

You're up!

What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberrry!

Hurrah, West Wing.

Er, is that a goat on it?

Yes, a goat's head is the mascot of Skerries. Long story - Google knows all about it. Suffice it to say that only Balbriggan Half Shirts are allowed to call us Skerrie Goats.

Correct and right Samaris (and delighted to come across another West Wing fan - best TV show ever in my humble opinion:))

Over to you.

Edit: Er, going to think of a different question. Shall edit again in a few!

• Advertisement

I love West Wing, especially the early seasons. Lost a bit when Sorkin left, but it was still head and shoulders above most other shows.

Hm...

A certain dance shows up in many films, including The Lion King, The Great Gatsby (both versions), It's a Wonderful Life and Roxie Hart. What is it?

Not a great film goer since Jungle Book but....could it be Charlston?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Not a great film goer since Jungle Book but....could it be Charlston?

*cough* Yeees, I realised afterwards that it might be a slightly weird question news coverage considered.

Anyway, you got it! :D

Anyway, you got it! :D

When I started sailing, my Grannie knitted me a beautiful Aran jumper with genuine báinín wool. "It's warm and waterproof", she said.

Later, in a quiet moment, my uncle (her son, an experienced sailor and owner of his own báinín jumper) said something like "best of luck with that jumper!"

Clearly, he knew something about báinín jumpers that I didn't know. This isn't an academic-type question but anyone who has got a báinín jumper wet will know the "first secret of báinín jumpers." Any ideas....maybe from the Kingdom?

Is it something to do with the wool being oiled or something, to keep the water out? Shakes it off?

Is it something to do with the wool being oiled or something, to keep the water out? Shakes it off?

Well, yes, báinín is (more or less) unwashed and oily, making it waterproofish. But, when it gets wet, it exhibits another characteristic altogether. Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They weigh a ton? (tonne even)

Though looking at the last answer - they probably stink of wet sheep

Do the fibres shrink to form a more protective, tighter ..er...whatsit - like links coming together, and then loosen again once dry?

I'm trying to think of what might be useful to the sheep! :D

You might be thinking of felting, yes, I suppose you could end up with a teeny jumper, but it would not go big again! Yes, actually body heat, friction and water might felt it. I think that s 3 goes I have had, think I will go to my bed before anyone gives out to me. :P

looksee wrote: »
    ... they probably stink of wet sheep

Yes looksee! It would stink to high Heaven when wet, worse than a wet dog. By the time you got it off, all of your clothes stank. After a shower, you still stank and your girlfriend would avoid slow dances for the rest of the weekend.
    I discreetly consulted with my uncle who advised that, while most of the oil would be removed in a handwash, (Lux soap flakes) society would thank you.

• Advertisement

What animal was shown on the pre-decimal Irish half-penny (I seem to have a money thing going)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement