Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beer Market Pub, Christ Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

It's not that different to Brew Dock, is it? When folks wander in and ask for Heineken etc they are offered Fischers Helles - everything else is 'craft'?

I know that the Dark Horse is different in that they also have mainstream beers. I haven't been in AtG or their other bars enough to know about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's a terrible headline to the article. They had the list up on twitter, looks good . Not many pints mind and I was given one of the 330ml glasses from Black Sheep and it isn't 330ml

CCtG6BwXIAATewP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    It's not that different to Brew Dock, is it? When folks wander in and ask for Heineken etc they are offered Fischers Helles - everything else is 'craft'?

I know that the Dark Horse is different in that they also have mainstream beers. I haven't been in AtG or their other bars enough to know about them.

As far as I can see the only difference between the place and atg, black sheep and brew dock or mulligans is it won't serve food, sell spirits, have branded taps and there won't be permanent taps for specific beer .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do, gonna be weird that they aren't doing the gbb core range.

I know they say numbered taps instead of names but I'm assuming that there'll be a chalkboard with the names on? You're not just gonna blindly say "tap 12" and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Wonder is it a new build or is it in an old existing pub premises, don't know whats there at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Wonder is it a new build or is it in an old existing pub premises, don't know whats there at the moment?
    It was ryans about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

There's a good few pics on Twitter...and there is a chalk board!

Reminds me a lot of Mikkeller Bar in Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

That's a bloody nice list, 200 Fathoms! I work only five minutes down the road from this, may be the end of me yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

It makes sense to try and do something different in that premises. There have been so many failures there in the last 10 years that I guess they need to do something to draw people in. I do think it's a shame that they're not even doing whiskey given its place on the tourist trail and proximity to both Teelings and Jamesons... But I guess it's good that they won't be competing with the Bull & Castle or The Headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As far as I can see the only difference between the place and atg, black sheep and brew dock or mulligans is it won't serve food, sell spirits, have branded taps and there won't be permanent taps for specific beer .

It's a pity there are no active beer "only@ licences in Ireland. They are on the books but one has never been issued. Galway bay will have to fork out for a full pub licence but restrict then self to just selling beer.

Although if it works out and do hope so it . it an example where it can be show to the authoresses that such a licence would be beneficial to brewery and such that want to have a tasting room and ell to the public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I know they say numbered taps instead of names but I'm assuming that there'll be a chalkboard with the names on? You're not just gonna blindly say "tap 12" and hope for the best.

from my experience in a London bar that sounds similar to this, most people just order by the name of the beer from the blackboard that has 25 - 30 beers listed on it with a corresponding number.

I think the people that order by number in the place I'm thinking of are usually those that probably haven't heard of any of the beers before.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

This is excellent news. I was so stoked when Headline opened but the selection is usually a bit boring.

I also wish more of the beers were in pints, but as we can see on this board too, the higher prices for craft beer pints put people off them, and it's unrealistic to be selling craft pints for a fiver. So this is the compromise they probably feel forced to make. Other European countries in close to Irelands cost of living are used to spending 7-8€ for 0.5l of craft beer but here the "standard" has been set by Guinness and Heino.

I also feel weird drinking a pale ale or an IPA in a stemmed glass in a bar. WIsh they would just opt for half/full pint pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The location is a bit.. meh or is that me, i think ive drank down that direction about twice in my life. relatively soulless part since mother red caps went down.

The location is as good as any for me. Well better than being in the suburbs, that's for sure

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not massively impressed personally. One of the main gripes I have with GBB bars is the lack of decent sessionable pints. Even when they do have something lighter it's normally an import and far more expensive than an equivalent Irish pint in a nearby pub.

There's a Dublin Bike stand beside here though so I'll probably nip out for one the odd time if I'm up at the B&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

snowblind wrote: »
    This is excellent news. I was so stoked when Headline opened but the selection is usually a bit boring.

I also wish more of the beers were in pints, but as we can see on this board too, the higher prices for craft beer pints put people off them, and it's unrealistic to be selling craft pints for a fiver. So this is the compromise they probably feel forced to make. Other European countries in close to Irelands cost of living are used to spending 7-8€ for 0.5l of craft beer but here the "standard" has been set by Guinness and Heino.

I also feel weird drinking a pale ale or an IPA in a stemmed glass in a bar. WIsh they would just opt for half/full pint pricing.

?????

A fiver for a pint is more than fair. Anything above that is quite cheeky imo.

?????

For any beer over a fiver is cheeky? A speciality product costing more than macro lager is cheeky? I don't get it...

You pay more for quality wine or quality whiskey than the basic offerings, but beer price is defined by diageo?

In finland for example you can get 0.5l of bland lager for 3€, 0.4l of a craft beer can get up to 9€. Brewers aren't constrained to limit costs to make compromises. It's the same if you go to London, Italy, Spain, Denmark etc. Quality beers cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Be interesting to see what definition they'll be putting on 'craft'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

limnam wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what definition they'll be putting on 'craft'

The brewer must have a beard :P

For any beer over a fiver is cheeky? A speciality product costing more than macro lager is cheeky? I don't get it...

You pay more for quality wine or quality whiskey than the basic offerings, but beer price is defined by diageo?

In finland for example you can get 0.5l of bland lager for 3€, 0.4l of a craft beer can get up to 9€. Brewers aren't constrained to limit costs to make compromises. It's the same if you go to London, Italy, Spain, Denmark etc. Quality beers cost more.

It's beer at the end of the day.

A few years ago I remember most craft beer was definitely less than a fiver a pint, now a fiver is kind of the standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

It's beer at the end of the day.

A few years ago I remember most craft beer was definitely less than a fiver a pint, now a fiver is kind of the standard.

That's like saying "its just a burger at the end of the day" when comparing Supermacs to Bunsen. Its an empty statement.

That's like saying "its just a burger at the end of the day" when comparing Supermacs to Bunsen. Its an empty statement.

My point is, it's already been under a fiver for years, and suddenly they've decided they can extract more from it. So it's not unrealistic in the slightest to be selling pints of beer for a fiver.

They have to make a profit, welcome to capitalism, fair play to them etc. , but I personally rarely feel good about paying more than a fiver for a beer. I know that's my own choice, it's just frustrating that circumstances have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Same as that. A fiver is more than enough for anything but an exceptional beer IMO and €2.50 is my limit in an off licence. Go to Belgium which is to beer what France is to wine and you'll find a very, very long list of very good beers (albeit bottled, not draught) for well under €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Taxes make up a large part of that difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

you serious? Loads of pubs in Dublin selling usual ****e Lagers for 5 euro plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Zoigl in Franconia is 1.80 - 2.00 for 50cl in a pub.

Landbier in Nurnberg pubs is 2.50 - 3.50.

you serious? Loads of pubs in Dublin selling usual ****e Lagers for 5 euro plus?

Dublin is probably expensive alright, but I'm not from Dublin, and I don't visit often at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Taxes make up a large part of that difference?

Quite the opposite.
    Microbreweries get a rebate equal to half the duty.
    ie Irish Micro beers attract half the duty that macro or imported beers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Seems like it could be a nice idea. Although as others say I would prefer if they made all the beers available in half pint/330ml/pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Same as that. A fiver is more than enough for anything but an exceptional beer IMO and €2.50 is my limit in an off licence. Go to Belgium which is to beer what France is to wine and you'll find a very, very long list of very good beers (albeit bottled, not draught) for well under €5.

Im from Dublin and I have yet to go to a bar in Dublin, other than Wetherspoons where pints are less than €5. Ireland is unique for a European country, as we dont have high income taxes and tend to rely on taxes such as VAT and excise duty for Government Revenue. I worked in Germany last summer. I earned €1600 per month and it was only €1150 after tax. A pint of beer was about €4 in a bar, as the tax was lower on the pint, but my income was heavily taxed.

You can have low tax on goods or a low tax on income. In Ireland, we have lower taxes on Income.

Advertisement