Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator Lorraine Higgins wants to introduce a bill to jail trolls!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Would Sinn Fein and the hard lefties not have to resign their seats?

Deflection deflection deflection!

Its that labour way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

There's something wrong when a person who 3 times has failed to be given a mandate from the electorate is attempting to introduce legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

h2005 wrote: »
    There's something wrong when a person who 3 times has failed to be given a mandate from the electorate is attempting to introduce legislation.

Lorraine's law it will probably be know as.
    Look great on the oul wiki page and all the election pamphlets.

She'll need it looking at this sad parade........

She unsuccessfully contested the 2009 Local Elections for Galway County Council.
    She unsuccessfully contested the Galway East constituency at the 2011 general election.
    In April 2011 she was a candidate for the 2011 Seanad Éireann election on the Industrial and Commercial Panel but was unsuccessful.
    In May 2011, she was nominated by the Taoiseach Enda Kenny to the 24th Seanad.
    European politics
    Higgins unsuccessfully ran as the Labour Party candidate in the Midlands–North-West constituency for the 2014 European Parliament election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

mikom wrote: »
    The SF bat signal has gone up I see.
    I could not give a bollox for them.

Unelectable Higgins is the one under the spotlight here.
    You know, the wan that thinks proposing a bill on troll is not a double standard after she posted a pic of Ming doctored to look like a turkey.
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/embeds/twitter/bd1218ad088712f1efe1831179457bf8.png
    Ming went on to hand her arse to her in the Euro elections.

You put that on the same level as threats to rape and kill?

You put that on the same level as threats to rape and kill?

No.
    Why would I.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

K4t wrote: »
    What doesn't exist?
    Unlimited freedom of expression. Never has.
    The fashion of being more concerned with the rights of people to harass others rather than the rights of the people on the receiving end... neglects this fact.
    It's funny how yourself and others don't realise that protecting the right to freedom of expression is far more important and beneficial to everyone in the long run than attempting to protect a politician's sensitivities from a few unsavoury remarks on a private social media site.
    Just wondering how you could possibly interpret from my posts to this thread that I'm concerned about this politician? I clearly said I don't agree with jail for trolling/abuse, but if someone isn't interested in actually engaging and only interested in throwing abuse at people and winding people up for the craic, then I agree with them being moderated/banned by the site once they get enough chances. I do agree strongly with them being ignored too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is Lorraine Higgins suggesting that somebody would be arrested and brought to court for calling her a dumb blonde?
    https://twitter.com/lorhiggins
    see cartoon
    https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/39019643/1429615400/1500x500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

is Lorraine Higgins suggesting that somebody would be arrested and brought to court for calling her a dumb blonde?
    see cartoon

Un-real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

I wouldn,t agree as to go so far as to jail or fine someone for trolling or sending abusive messages, on twitter I have received abuse for my stance being against same sex marriage, anyone who tweets me something abusive I just mute + block them , its that simple just block and ignore- don,t listen/don,t acknowledge anything abusive or any trolls- if someone sends another person a death threat online that is a different issue altogether there is already a law making it an offence to send anyone death threats I refer to .

Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997

5.—(1) A person who, without lawful excuse, makes to another a threat, by any means intending the other to believe it will be carried out, to kill or cause serious harm to that other or a third person shall be guilty of an offence

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0005.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Madame_Diem

This is the sort of thing Putin would do in Russia to crush free speech. The media love some sob story about cyber bullying. Defending free speech isn't as headline grabbing. Who gets to decides whats trolling and whats not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

This is the sort of thing Putin would do in Russia to crush free speech. The media love some sob story about cyber bullying. Defending free speech isn't as headline grabbing. Who gets to decides whats trolling and whats not.

More sensationalism. There is no reason that behaviour that is not acceptable face to face should be acceptable online. The same laws should apply to both. If I went up to you in the street and started shouting all kinds of abuse at you and followed you along the street you'd likely call the Gardaí because I would be committing an offence. So why is it suddenly acceptable online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Got this back after emailing Lorraine with a few polite thoughts - will follow up with her. Typos as received.
    As per my legislation, there are wide ranging penalties to cover all cases. You will note them under the various section and the ancillary orders part which you will see on my website: lorrainehiggins.ie. I believe the scope given to a District Court Judge is entirely fair under my le,gie ladino. However, this is not the final Act and there will be copious opportunities for all members of teh Oireachtas to scrutinise it, amend, add and delete as they see fit.

Regards,
    Lorraine

Got this back after emailing Lorraine with a few polite thoughts - will follow up with her. Typos as received.
    As per my legislation, there are wide ranging penalties to cover all cases. You will note them under the various section and the ancillary orders part which you will see on my website: lorrainehiggins.ie. I believe the scope given to a District Court Judge is entirely fair under my le,gie ladino. However, this is not the final Act and there will be copious opportunities for all members of teh Oireachtas to scrutinise it, amend, add and delete as they see fit.

Regards,
    Lorraine

le,gie ladino?
    Who plays him in Game of Thrones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

see cartoon

Feminism in action. Her and her unelected colleague Ivan Bacik would turn this country into Sweden if not the Soviet Union with a sniff of power.

see cartoon
    Is this in reference to something she tweeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

What does she expect? She's a public person. if she can't take the heat she should get out of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Feminism in action. Her and her unelected colleague Ivan Bacik would turn this country into Sweden if not the Soviet Union with a sniff of power.
    Posts like this indicate that feminists still have work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Sweden doesn't sound too bad to me. :pac:

Yeah I literally cannot see anything about feminism in those links, but maybe I'll receive clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Posts like this indicate that feminists still have work to do.
    Anyone who is against mainsteam feminism i don't wanna know frankly. Trolls i have grown weary of either they change or leave people alone. Harassment is not free speech.Public figures are not to be harrassed. But the same standards go for both genders Brian Cowan was harassed and people rightly spoke up.Online is the same. Women should not be harassed and nor should men. Using the idea of free speech to follow someone around online and send them messages on twitter or anywhere etc is bs. Its not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Anyone who is against mainsteam feminism i don't wanna know frankly. Trolls i have grown weary of either they change or leave people alone. Harassment is not free speech.Public figures are not to be harrassed. But the same standards go for both genders Brian Cowan was harassed and people rightly spoke up.Online is the same. Women should not be harassed and nor should men. Using the idea of free speech to follow someone around online and send them messages on twitter or anywhere etc is bs. Its not the same.

Where does it end?

Can one counterclaim for the endless propeganda and pamphleteering that comes through the letter box?

When you agree to being a public figure, you agree to public scrutiny. If she does not want to be criticised or debated with, get out of politics.

I don't think she said she doesn't want to be criticised or debated with.

She was referring to cyberbullying and people being on a wind-up for the craic rather than making any contribution. Now I don't agree with her advocating jail, but it's different to wanting people punished for criticism and debate.

Is this in reference to something she tweeted?

well it seem to be related to somebody who called her a dumb blonde but also said she should be hatcheted in the face, so she's right to complain about that, but that threat is left out of the cartoon, and it looks like she wants to people prosecuted for calling her a dumb blond, Im not sure who the cartoonists is, it might be the one that does stuff for the Indo http://www.independent.ie/opinion/i-disagree-with-you-so-that-makes-you-a-whore-31085374.html and it could have been attached to this article in the paper.

oh she removed it already this was the cartoon on the top banner of her twitter profile for a while https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6AEiinGYynORFZfSy1remtoaHc/view?usp=sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

The Garda in that cartoon looks like he wants to answer her question.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

This was a very entertaining and informative discussion on the whole.

Are comments and people on the internet meant to be taken seriously?

I know that she was directly threatened but leaving Ms Higgins aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone who repeatedly makes peoples lives a misery online should be punished. The problem is 'troll' nowadays seems to be used to describe anyone that voices a negative opinion on a celebrity or public figure. Some reality show 'celebrity' who is famous for being famous acts like a prick on television and then thinks anyone leaving a negative comment on their Twitter page is a 'troll'.

Also children and teenagers need to learn not to be completely stupid online. For instance the likes of Ask.fm. They want their fifteen minutes of fame by doing nothing except letting complete strangers ask them questions and then are shocked when they discover that some strangers are assholes. Anyone can just go to Ask.fm and see a list of teenagers on the homepage, pick one at random and send them abusive comments. Why anyone thinks it's a good idea to use such a site is beyond me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Caught a tweet today - can't remember who posted it - that some sort of malicious communications bill (or debate) will be before the Seanad tomorrow.

7.00 p.m.

Private Members Business - Harmful and Malicious Electronic Communications Bill 2015 – Second Stage (Labour Senators)

http://www.oireachtas.ie/eventsCalendar/t4.do?lang=en&pid=p1&dt=d.en.28859&f=week&d=01/07/2015&sd=Wednesday,01July2015&ac=*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What's folks thoughts on this?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/web-trolls-face-being-jailed-under-new-proposal-31147865.html
    Personally, I'm all for anti bullying etc, but I'm not sure why this bill should specifically target someone's online posts.

Is slagging or spitting vitriol at someone verbally offline less offensive :confused:

Where does it end?

What's after hours thoughts on the proposals?

I think the jails will be seriously overcrowded with half the boardsies inside. :(
    Might the mods send in a cake or two? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This bill won't actually change anything - it's incredibly easy to anonymise yourself properly online if you're willing to take a bit of time learning how to do it - but the principle and precedent that it sets is extremely dangerous, so I for one hope it dies before it gets anywhere near being implemented.

Advertisement