Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri 795 Carlow

Options
  • 16-04-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else signed up for this? I just had a look at the route. When I signed up I could have sworn the race was based in Bunclody (according to the TI website), with a pool swim. It seems I'll be swimming in the Barrow in 4 or so weeks instead..
    Did the race change or did I just pick up on the 2014 format?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Basster wrote: »
    Has anyone else signed up for this? I just had a look at the route. When I signed up I could have sworn the race was based in Bunclody (according to the TI website), with a pool swim. It seems I'll be swimming in the Barrow in 4 or so weeks instead..

Previous race (2012) was in Bunclody (and a very very very long wait for the later pool starts). This 2015 route was always flagged as being in Carlow on the Barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Thanks for confirming that, really don't know how I mixed that up. Best be getting into the sea soon in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

balls missed this :mad:

looking at the map and its in the Graigue Cullen \ Carlow border, possibly using the park for transition.

Love the bike route, there is a nice drag on the way out after ~3miles to the turn point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Basster wrote: »

I signed up for this one too. my first real Triathlon. What can I expect in the River... much of a flow? any Crocs? terrified

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Depending on rainfall the flow will be strong I'm not sure if it's an up and back but either way heading toward T1 will be fairly quick.

Bike route is a fair auld drag up the the ridge line towards killeshin. This in turn will become a fast decent into t2 couple of speed bumps about 500m outside of transition you'll go over them on the way out and back if the route is out killeshin road.

I'm not sure of the run route but if it's along the river track it's dead flat and wider/clearer and smoother underfoot than Athy run route.

It should be a good event. I reckon whoevers strongest on the bike will be the one to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Depending on rainfall the flow will be strong I'm not sure if it's an up and back but either way heading toward T1 will be fairly quick.

Bike route is a fair auld drag up the the ridge line towards killeshin. This in turn will become a fast decent into t2 couple of speed bumps about 500m outside of transition you'll go over them on the way out and back if the route is out killeshin road.

I'm not sure of the run route but if it's along the river track it's dead flat and wider/clearer and smoother underfoot than Athy run route.

It should be a good event. I reckon whoevers strongest on the bike will be the one to beat.

Good maps here including the run route.

http://wexford.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=af111fe97274456893fbb22076467653

Must get a river dip or two before this one - might be chilly!! If weather stays like it is river may be a bit low. Anyone got local knowledge on this stretch of the Barrow? May be a bit of additional walking involved??

It won't be low I'd be fairly sure of that it's fairly deep and wide at that section AFAIK. I'll be interested to see how they handle the swans if they're using the boat slip as an exit point.

That link you posted wants me to install some software before viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

BennyMul wrote: »
    balls missed this :mad:

looking at the map and its in the Graigue Cullen \ Carlow border, possibly using the park for transition.

Love the bike route, there is a nice drag on the way out after ~3miles to the turn point.

Claude might be able to help you with that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Steroo wrote: »
    I signed up for this one too. my first real Triathlon. What can I expect in the River... much of a flow? any Crocs? terrified

You can expect cold, lots of cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

I won't be racing in this event, anybody knows if and how can I give my place to somebody else?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭The Davestator

fibix wrote: »
    I won't be racing in this event, anybody knows if and how can I give my place to somebody else?
    Thanks!

If it's permitted and you want,ill buy it from you

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

If it's permitted and you want,ill buy it from you

Somebody is already checking with the organiser on fb. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

I've an entry goin to waste if some1 wants it and it's ok to change name

• Registered Users Posts: 38 conradk

pot p wrote: »
    I've an entry goin to waste if some1 wants it and it's ok to change name

I've got a buddy who could be looking for one... will check and will DM you..

I did the bike route today... its one long drag uphill (about 150m gain) to a turnaround, and then straight back down, which will be fast! No major bends, but I presume the road will be closed (it will have to be!). Nice route.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I did the bike route today... its one long drag uphill (about 150m gain) to a turnaround, and then straight back down, which will be fast! No major bends, but I presume the road will be closed (it will have to be!). Nice route.

I don't think it will be or at least I'm fairly local to the route and haven't heard any word on road closures. I guess if you checked on laois coco there'd be an application for a road closure. I did think the same myself good road but it can get busy.

Nice drag up though ;)

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I don't think it will be or at least I'm fairly local to the route and haven't heard any word on road closures. I guess if you checked on laois coco there'd be an application for a road closure. I did think the same myself good road but it can get busy.

Nice drag up though ;)

Jaysus I had plenty of near misses today from drivers overtaking me into blind bends... it'll be "fun" if there are sets of bikes going up, sets going down, and two lines of traffic looking to overtake at the same time!

(I guess drivers tend to be more cautious if there is are Race in Progress signs around though)

Jaysus I had plenty of near misses today from drivers overtaking me into blind bends... it'll be "fun" if there are sets of bikes going up, sets going down, and two lines of traffic looking to overtake at the same time!

I know it's the potential for disaster written all over it the upside though is that there are plenty of routes that can be taken around for cars so perhaps with enough warning and signage the locals might decide to go the other way.

It will be a fast decent though although I'm not sure how far up the hill it goes I regularly cycle up and around that ridge line. It'll be interesting to see bike choices I don't think there'll be a massive advantage on a tri bike unless you're comfortable going down hill really fast. I guess you could hit 60+ in an aero position. Where as a standard road bike might be better for the drag up.

Again I'm not sure how far it goes up but there are some bends which you can take at speed and have the potential to suck the inexperienced into the ditch/hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd say it's definitely a TT bike course from the sound of it, drag up, straight out, one turn around and back to T2. Aero is better than lightweight.

What's the road surface like?

joey100 wrote: »
    I'd say it's definitely a TT bike course from the sound of it, drag up, straight out, one turn around and back to T2. Aero is better than lightweight.

What's the road surface like?

Yeah it's good for Ireland standards.

The only Issue I see is that if it's windy the breeze is usually a cross wind coming over the hill so it might catch a few with deep section wheels at the gate openings.

I'll be spectating half way up I reckon so should be a good mix of suffering up and tearing down the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

i did it today too, went with the wife and have a garmin history of the course on the way out that i must upload tomorrow when i have time. its defo a TT bike course, the only properly steep bit is out of killeshin for about 200m and its big ring all the way no doubt

road surface is decent, poor in places but only for short segments, typical country road

hope it is closed roads as its pretty busy with no hard shoulder and i wouldnt cycle that route if it was not for a purpose

Yeah, TT all the way, and its a drag rather than steep, I was never out of the saddle. Hit just under 60kph without too much effort going down, a few rattles from surface in places but not too bad.

There wasn't too much breeze out today but I felt a crosspull in a couple of areas (its elevated); leave the discs at home if its breezy on raceday all right.

Ah it must only go a part of the way up. I'll have to cycle the route proper during the week. Sitting in the hospital at the moment waiting on a future star to jump on stage. So far he/she has similar transition times to their auld fella. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Manone

Just wondering if there was any update on transfers and whether this is allowed, as I would like to get an entry if anyone has one available or hears of one going.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

a profile of what the course is (i think) on the way out for those interested, done as part of an easy spin

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/751827138

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aspireto

Manone wrote: »
    Just wondering if there was any update on transfers and whether this is allowed, as I would like to get an entry if anyone has one available or hears of one going.

Hi,
    If allowed, I have an entry I won't be using.

Hi Aspireto,
    Just dropped the race organisers a mail. Will pm you once confirmed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aspireto

Manone wrote: »
    Hi Aspireto,
    Just dropped the race organisers a mail. Will pm you once confirmed. Thanks

Hello Manone,
    Just wondering if you got any reply from the organisers.

Heard nothing and I see not response to the same question on their Facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I got a reply to my request to take a transfer so keep trying

Advertisement