Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

sjb25 wrote: »

Even walks in front of the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Sheepman2 wrote: »
    Whats best single rotor rake to go for for contracting so? Ideally put 2 10ft's into 20ft's.

We have a single rotor rake .
    It does the job but arent the best .
    There is too much travelling with them.
    To make a 20 or 25 ft swarth you need to do 2 passes. With 2 wagons or balers after you you cant keep up or need a massive head start.
    For the baler it can be hard to make an even swarth with them especially if the grass is light and you want to put together 40 or 50 ft of grass. One side can be heavier than the other and the bales are lobsided.
    But what we did find it handy for we have a field which has a couple of acres that are too steep and akward to pick with the wagon. Always had to go bake with the baler to bale 20 or 25 bales. Then back to wrap and draw them.
    This year used the rake and brought the grass up the hill onto safe ground to pick for the pit. Took a pair few passes but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

9935452 wrote: »
    We have a single rotor rake .
    It does the job but arent the best .
    There is too much travelling with them.
    To make a 20 or 25 ft swarth you need to do 2 passes. With 2 wagons or balers after you you cant keep up or need a massive head start.
    For the baler it can be hard to make an even swarth with them especially if the grass is light and you want to put together 40 or 50 ft of grass. One side can be heavier than the other and the bales are lobsided.
    But what we did find it handy for we have a field which has a couple of acres that are too steep and akward to pick with the wagon. Always had to go bake with the baler to bale 20 or 25 bales. Then back to wrap and draw them.
    This year used the rake and brought the grass up the hill onto safe ground to pick for the pit. Took a pair few passes but well worth it

Find the more times you turn it though the more lumpy it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

sjb25 wrote: »

Someone like that should be reported for their own safety.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Someone like that should be reported for their own safety.

I wonder what age the person holding the camera is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Noveight wrote: »
    Question about the raking lads.

If you'd a man driving your rake with his own tractor, what'd be the easiest/fairest way to pay him?

X amount per acre?
    X amount per hour?
    X amount per bale raked?

110hp on a 20ft so far from strenuous going diesel-wise.

Surely the fairest way is price per hour ,would a tractor burn 6 litres of diesel /hour at raking .So give or take €5 diesel cost ,labour €12 and tractor use ,i suppose would €10/hour cover it ,so i would say €27-28/hour .
    There is a big difference raking heavy 1st cut and light paddocks/3rd cut though .You would have a tractor nicely opened up for heavy 1st cut .Would a 20 ft rake many acres in a hour ,I would think 5/6 acres average/hour including travelling between jobs ,so you would be lucky to collect €50/hour!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

cute geoge wrote: »
    Surely the fairest way is price per hour ,would a tractor burn 6 litres of diesel /hour at raking .So give or take €5 diesel cost ,labour €12 and tractor use ,i suppose would €10/hour cover it ,so i would say €27-28/hour .
    There is a big difference raking heavy 1st cut and light paddocks/3rd cut though .You would have a tractor nicely opened up for heavy 1st cut .Would a 20 ft rake many acres in a hour ,I would think 5/6 acres average/hour including travelling between jobs ,so you would be lucky to collect €50/hour!!!

Thanks for that, loads of info there.

Trying to suss if it’s worth putting a rake going for next year. ~15k for the machine itself plus maybe €25/hour to pay a man to drive it adds up, all the while you can’t charge the customer more per bale.

Must do some more sums and see.

Trying to suss if it’s worth putting a rake going for next year. ~15k for the machine itself plus maybe €25/hour to pay a man to drive it adds up, all the while you can’t charge the customer more per bale.

The real gain you will make is that your baler will only be travelling half the ground ,surely you could pick up a cheap old tractor for the rake and get a young lad for €10/hour!!
    Nearly all farmers will pay for raking if they get benefit of dryer bales ,but you will need a tight eye on forecast ,no point raking wet grass that is when the farmer will be slow paying

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is there no one in the area that runs a rake that you could get in? What are you baling with?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is there no one in the area that runs a rake that you could get in? What are you baling with?

Nobody we could really rely on. 1-2 lads who have a rake but are also working 9-5 jobs, so between their jobs and their own few existing customers they wouldn't have a huge capacity to take on more. There's a lad who'd supply a tractor and drive it himself alright, but that'd add nicely to the cost of it.

Two F5500's baling 9'6 rows.

• Advertisement

Nobody we could really rely on. 1-2 lads who have a rake but are also working 9-5 jobs, so between their jobs and their own few existing customers they wouldn't have a huge capacity to take on more. There's a lad who'd supply a tractor and drive it himself alright, but that'd add nicely to the cost of it.

Two F5500's baling 9'6 rows.
    I know the fusion 3 likes 7.2m rows. That's what I'm in front of mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

Neighbour is charging 10 to 15 Euro an acre for raking. I just double swarth it when the grass is DRY, the land can be rough and you can get a lot of sods and stones in the head feed after the rake.. Ya I have a roller but you know yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Neighbour is charging 10 to 15 Euro an acre for raking. I just double swarth it when the grass is DRY, the land can be rough and you can get a lot of sods and stones in the head feed after the rake.. Ya I have a roller but you know yourself

The going rate around me is €10 an acre + VAT

The going rate around me is €10 an acre + VAT

I'm €10 inc and lads still bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm €10 inc and lads still bitch

Ya need to be dropping them lads, let them off and source someone else for the same price or better. If they do, lucky them, otherwise they be back

I know the fusion 3 likes 7.2m rows. That's what I'm in front of mostly

None of the silage we'd bale would be tedded so doubling up the two 9 foot rows would suit grand.

Has anyone any experience of the likes of these? Seems like they'd do the job of doubling up our rows, but maybe more of a farmers machine.

https://www.donedeal.ie/haybobs-for-sale/combi-rake-dr420/20114831?campaign=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJBPGAsuQxg

None of the silage we'd bale would be tedded so doubling up the two 9 foot rows would suit grand.

Has anyone any experience of the likes of these? Seems like they'd do the job of doubling up our rows, but maybe more of a farmers machine.

https://www.donedeal.ie/haybobs-for-sale/combi-rake-dr420/20114831?campaign=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJBPGAsuQxg

Not that much tedded here either. The fusion likes 3 rows

Not that much tedded here either. The fusion likes 3 rows

Savage headway in picking 3 rows no doubt! I reckon a mixture of heavy-ish cuts and lack of horse power up front means 2 would make as much sense for our carry on.

Lely Rotonde seems like an honest machine.

I have seen any contractor who ever bought a lely rotonde upgrade to a trailed rake with steering axle within a year!!!
    Are the rotonde suitable for a contractor???
    I would think a claas 2600 would rake more then two nine foot together and this is the smallest claas rake .The kuhn 6301 might not be as robust as claas but would be ideal for putting two 9 foots together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

cute geoge wrote: »
    I have seen any contractor who ever bought a lely rotonde upgrade to a trailed rake with steering axle within a year!!!
    Are the rotonde suitable for a contractor???
    I would think a claas 2600 would rake more then two nine foot together and this is the smallest claas rake .The kuhn 6301 might not be as robust as claas but would be ideal for putting two 9 foots together

2600 will pull in 3 9ft conditioned rows but it's a pig on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Local fella here bought a Rotonde and he’s doing a lot of bales, welger

Have to say it left a very tidy field, but they seemed to be driving wicked slow with it

I’d say if you’re running 2 balers then you would see a massive improvement in output if it was all raked before

What kind of kit you running if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭visatorro

[quote=Reggie

I'm €10 inc and lads still bitch[/quote]

Maybe it's the state of the rows after ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Rows (as in fights) over the rows (of grass). lol.

visatorro wrote: »

What would you know about it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

visatorro wrote: »

I don't think you should get paid for raking if its for your benefit, I see lads here raking an hour after mowing because things are busy, it is no benefit unless the grass is left for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone driving the Ford Ranger, seem very comfortable.
    Any bad reports

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Supposed to be pigs on diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sheepman2 wrote: »
    Supposed to be pigs on diesel

I think they all are, it drives like a car.
    Drove a friends 3.2 ltr and fell for it.
    Alexanders have lovely ones and the Euro is good,
    probably get sensible and mean again and forget about it in a few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭stanflt

wrangler wrote: »
    Anyone driving the Ford Ranger, seem very comfortable.
    Any bad reports

Had my heart set on a wild track until I drove one 3 weeks ago- I thought the suspension was very rigid- bought a navara instead

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    Had my heart set on a wild track until I drove one 3 weeks ago- I thought the suspension was very rigid- bought a navara instead

So you got it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement