Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Herr Strauss was hard done by in my opinion. Arthur lost the rag and fu*ked him out of camp. He was a money lender it’s a nasty business. Then he subsequently dies in custody refusing to talk to the pinkertons

He wasn’t the worst by any means. Real dissonance about his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

20silkcut wrote: »
    Then he subsequently dies in custody refusing to talk to the pinkertons

How come I cannot remember that part of the story. Memory of a gold fish. :eek:

How come I cannot remember that part of the story. Memory of a gold fish. :eek:
    Charles tells John at the prize fight in st Denis in the epilogue

I think Arthur got it wrong on that one.
    It was one cut scene that just didn’t feel right. But sure I suppose just like in real life you can’t get them all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

The lack of fast travel really wastes the player's time - often you'll be riding to a mission that only takes place at a certain time of day and because the day night cycle is so short often by the time you get there the mission has disappeared causing you to waste money renting a room. Then riding to remote locations to hunt legendary animals only to be told you can't do it because there is "too much activity" in the area...

The quality of life is terrible.
    I think the lack of fast travel works really well in the early chapters because it forces you to explore, and in doing so you come across loads of side missions and strangers and random encounters.

The problem from maybe C4 onward (and especially C6) is that these missions tend to run dry and it just becomes a real slog going to each story mission and back.

That said there are ways to get around, the camp fast travel and then using the trains/carts sort of negates it, but still doesn't beat the day/night cycle for missions you talk about above.

• Advertisement

The lack of fast travel really wastes the player's time - often you'll be riding to a mission that only takes place at a certain time of day and because the day night cycle is so short often by the time you get there the mission has disappeared causing you to waste money renting a room. Then riding to remote locations to hunt legendary animals only to be told you can't do it because there is "too much activity" in the area...

The quality of life is terrible.

you can camp out anywhere and burn a few hours

On the camping, I only realised very late in the game that when it tells you that you can't rest / camp due to activity near by you can just pull up the camp from the L1/LB radial menu and it will let you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

On the camping, I only realised very late in the game that when it tells you that you can't rest / camp due to activity near by you can just pull up the camp from the L1/LB radial menu and it will let you.

That’s the only way I ever camped (there’s another?) and I still sometimes got that message when bounty hunters etc were nearby.

That’s the only way I ever camped (there’s another?) and I still sometimes got that message when bounty hunters etc were nearby.

Yeah I was holding Y to rest then camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Got this last week. Not overly impressed tbh.

Lack of fast travel is killing me. The aiming and dead eye are crap. There is so much going on at once I can't remember what I'm meant to be doing. It's a bit boring tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Got this last week. Not overly impressed tbh.

Lack of fast travel is killing me. The aiming and dead eye are crap. There is so much going on at once I can't remember what I'm meant to be doing. It's a bit boring tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Has anyone started the story again having completed it already? Just wandering how it stacks up the second time out

Starting to get a bit bored of roaming around now and thinking about starting a new game

I re-played a bit to get a achievement I missed by loading a old save. I even had to play through the part I hated first time round which was Chapter 5 wasn't too bad the second time round. It was actually a lot shorter than I remembered.

What achievement was that? (if it's a spoiler don't say :) )

I had a save in Chapter 4 and none other till the end of the game so had to play from 4 through 5 and into 6 to get the achievement. As the achievement was in 6. Bit annoying having to replay through a fair chunk of the game just for a achievement. It was only after wards I was like a wouldn't do that again anyway. Things I do for achievements.

It would have helped alright if I looked up achievement guides but I didn't bother as spoilers it was only after finishing the game I looked them up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The lack of fast travel really wastes the player's time

I’m on chapter 6, and I’m fairly confident saying RDR2 is the worst paced game I’ve ever played.

Now I know the concept of pacing is more fluid in an open world game where the player is free to pick and choose what they want to do. But working through the campaign either leisurely or purely focused on the main missions has been, to be frank, a total chore. There’s so much filler, so few interesting gameplay ideas, and endless stopping and starting. There are good missions for sure, but they’re one in a half dozen, maybe even a worse ratio than that. So many end in the same basic, boring-as-all-hell mass shootout, and even the missions that have novel ideas tend to feel like tutorial levels (with the incessant instruction boxes) for more interesting things that never come. Not to mention the tedious horse travel.

There’s a good, maybe even great 10-20 hour story in here, but Rockstar wanted to make a 60 hour one (at least) and it destroys any sense of momentum. And I’m not opposed at all to unrushed stories - this just does it badly. I’d highlight Persona 4 as a game where the epic length is an asset to the game - where you settle into a satisfying, rewarding routine, with downtime as interesting as the more fantastical stuff. RDR2 in contrast is a mess of bad ideas dramatically diluting the good ones. I’m pushing through because there’s just about enough things I’m interested in seeing how Rockstar play out... but I’m ever aware that the game has wasted a ****load of my time at this stage and the rewards have only barely made up for it.

That said, the Colin Stetson led music cues in the back half of the game are pretty great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Dutch is total narcissist asshole, i am on chapter 5 and i am starting to think the game is a load of ****e GTA5 better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

2nd time playing through now and I figured out why I hated Chapter 6 so much the first time. I
    helped Rains Fall. Which leads to a load of crappy missions and a lot of horse riding. Didn't help this time and it cuts out loads of the flab from the chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You'd want to double check your spoiler tags there bud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

The Nal wrote: »
    You'd want to double check your spoiler tags there bud

Sh*t is it not coming up? it's just (spoiler) insert spoiler here (/spoiler) isnt it?

I deleted oringial post until i figure out the spoiler tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Just on the fast travel thing people do know you can semi fast travel using the map at your base camp? Its obviously only one way and only leads to the big towns but still its something and i havent seen it mentioned here. I didnt really mind all the riding around myself its never took more than a couple of minutes (on a fast horse) to move from snowy mountains to swamp conditions. I think the map size can be a bit overwhelming when you look how far away it is.

On the game itself i love it. When i initally started i did feel like it was almost overwhelming with details and the size of the world plus the amount of tutorials it took me an embarrassing amount of time to realise how to donate kills to the camp i kept walking them over to Pearson and nothing. I'm on chapter 5 now but have done A LOT of roaming around doing my own thing apart from the story. I must check my stats to see the number of hours but has to be around the 50 hours mark. I'm playing on the PS4 pro on 1080p Samsung plasma and the game looks amazing the lighting has to be some of the best seen in any game.

Story is great
    but once Arthur gets sick it really annoyed me i kinda felt like this has killed the game a bit and i felt weaker plus everyone keeps commenting on how sick i look ha

Anyway so far i'd give this game 9/10 think God of war would pip it for game of the year for me but really its an amazing game despite the minor quibbles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jones wrote: »
    Sh*t is it not coming up? it's just (spoiler) insert spoiler here (/spoiler) isnt it?

I deleted oringial post until i figure out the spoiler tag

It is that, but with square brackets [] instead.

I think one of the reasons I won't ever replay the game is because of the fast travel issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

So I’ve finished the main story mission game, I see no other side missions (no question marks on map) any suggestions what to do now or any other suggestions on other games? Is online any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Calltocall wrote: »
    So I’ve finished the main story mission game, I see no other side missions (no question marks on map) any suggestions what to do now or any other suggestions on other games? Is online any good?

Give the online a try, though it's not for everyone. If you're looking for another RPG I cannot recommend the Witcher 3 enough.

Advertisement