Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just be honest with yourself. You're not a Catholic. That's ok.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

crockholm wrote: »
    May I ask what particular laws are being drafted to cater solely for members of the catholic religion in Ireland now?
    Currently?
    None.
    Previously - Divorce, education, contraception, health care, sexuality, alcohol laws, state broadcasting all have been influenced by our national religious leaning and many remain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

catallus wrote: »
    To say that you, for example, backwardsman, are nothing except a piece of meat that stands at 5foot something and weighs 14 stone or whatever and you are nothing else?

Can you not see that this is the very definition of Lucifer?
    The Backwards Man is Lucifer!? By the hokey, I'd never have guessed!

I'm happy to identify myself as Catholic even though I don't practice and I have no supernatural beliefs. I was baptised and raised Catholic so I don't see any contradiction in this.
    Grand. Do you identify as a boy scout and a member of the u15 hurling team too?

kylith wrote: »
    The Backwards Man is Lucifer!? By the hokey, I'd never have guessed!

Grand. Do you identify as a boy scout and a member of the u15 hurling team too?
    I identify as a professional footballer.
    I havent kicked a ball since i was about 12. I was rubbish then and Im worse now at 44.
    But I can identify as a professional footballer and see no contradiction in this.

I havent kicked a ball since i was about 12. I was rubbish then and Im worse now at 44.
    But I can identify as a professional footballer and see no contradiction in this.

Nice to meet you, I'm a ballerina. I can't tell a plié from a jete, but I was signed up for it as a kid so I see no contradiction in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They should bring in a church tax like lots of other countries do. It would be interesting to see how many sign up in relation to what the census shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Currently?
    None.
    Previously - Divorce, education, contraception, health care, sexuality, alcohol laws, state broadcasting all have been influenced by our national religious leaning and many remain so.

Yup.The past,they say,is a different country.

So it still means not a jot whether one ticks the RCC box on census day because they are a believer,a cultural catholic,a troll,or someone who wants to stay on the good side of an old aunt whose house smells of cat piss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

NS77 wrote: »
    Wow, that was one of the most infuriating articles I've read in a long time.
    I can't decide which is worse, the imagined masochism, the fact that people only drink on St. Patrick's day as an act of defiance to the church, or the part where gay marriage is only being legalised because we saw a telly programme about what 'civilised behaviour' is in other countries and we thought we'd copy some of it. I have rarely wanted to punch someone so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Nice to meet you, I'm a ballerina. I can't tell a plié from a jete, but I was signed up for it as a kid so I see no contradiction in this.

You're both very droll but that's not an accurate comparison. A religious upbringing is bound have a deeper formative effect on one's personality than football or ballet lessons (although I can't speak for other people).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't generally have any time for atheists or Catholics who try to force their beliefs, or lack of, on other people but I don't think the OP's post is anything like that. I think it's perfectly reasonable.

I was brought up a Catholic, and a cultural Catholic at that. I made my communion and confirmation and got married in a church.

It's only in the last couple of years that I've actually thought about my beliefs. The conclusion I have come to is that I'm indifferent to religion. It plays no part in my life so now I would say that I have no religion.

I ticked Catholic in the last census. I wont in the next.

I've believed for a long time (long before I thought about my own beliefs) that communion and confirmation preparation should be done outside of school hours. I know of a couple of schools that have already started to do this. I think that will help separate those who are bringing their children up as Catholics because of their own beliefs from those who like the day out and the white dress. If people have to bring their children to a preparation class in their own time many of them just wont bother. The church will have people who are genuinely interested and schools can focus on academics. Win-win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

jester77 wrote: »
    They should bring in a church tax like lots of other countries do. It would be interesting to see how many sign up in relation to what the census shows.

Germany collected nearly 10 Billion in 2010 in Church tax

Also

The church tax is only paid by members of the respective church. People who are not members of a church tax-collecting denomination do not have to pay it. Members of a religious community under public law may formally declare their wish to leave the community to state (not religious) authorities. With such a declaration, the obligation to pay church taxes ends. Some communities refuse to administer marriages and burials of (former) members who had declared to leave it.

These seems not the case in Ireland

• Advertisement

So it still means not a jot whether one ticks the RCC box on census day because they are a believer,a cultural catholic,a troll,or someone who wants to stay on the good side of an old aunt whose house smells of cat piss.

But it does matter that they tick it. Ticking the RCC box on the census gives the bishops the power to say "We should be involved in this conversation on gay rights/abortion/whatever because we represent 84% of the people in the country" when they don't. It gives them the power to fight against multi denominational schools because '84% of people are Catholic and should have Catholic education'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think how you identify yourself your own personal choice and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone.

The OP's thread is exactly why I dislike atheism. Not all atheists mind you, but it's hard not to feel some resentment to attitudes like the OP's.

What has it to do with atheism? Maybe op is a catholic.
    There's priests out there saying the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Currently?
    None.

Actually, as we speak, a 'Admission to Schools Bill' is being put forward that will decide enrollment policies in schools, and they still maintain the right for state funded schools to discriminate against children from the wrong religion (or none)

You're both very droll but that's not an accurate comparison. A religious upbringing is bound have a deeper formative effect on one's personality than football or ballet lessons (although I can't speak for other people).

I doubt it, or if it does it's not as positive a one. What I remember from my catholic upbringing is guilt, sin, hell, I am a sinner, I am not worthy.

What I remember from my ballet lessons is being taught posture and poise. Ghost Buster's footballing may well have sown the seeds of a healthy and active lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would advise catholics to stop worrying what other people do in their bedrooms.

I would advise atheists to stop worrying about what other people write on their census forms.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ziphius wrote: »
    The Church of Ireland is a catholic church, just not Roman Catholic.

But "Not Roman Catholic" is the definition of what makes a church protestant no? They refer to themselves as both Catholic & Protestant on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

But it does matter that they tick it. Ticking the RCC box on the census gives the bishops the power to say "We should be involved in this conversation on gay rights/abortion/whatever because we represent 84% of the people in the country" when they don't. It gives them the power to fight against multi denominational schools because '84% of people are Catholic and should have Catholic education'.
    This.

This is why many of us atheists are so vocally anti-Catholic. I'm having to confuse my 6 year old by telling her that her teacher is wrong and that God doesn't exist. I have a hard enough time getting her to believe that unicorns don't really exist, I don't need the education system I'm funding via taxation teaching her to believe in other fairy tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

It's funny to see atheists call people convenient Catholics if they dont go to mass every week or say the rosary daily.

There's nothing more convenient than being atheist. Sit on your hole and do nothing, and every now and then lecture people about how stupid they are and how they should be living.

For people who don't believe in anything or don't care, they seem to care an awful lot about other people's personal decisions which have nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yes it does, to not consider your beliefs before you tick that box is beyond selfish.

Non-believers who tick that box in the next census will make it that much harder for me to get my future children in a secular school. It's not just an arbitrary tick of the box, it's information upon which social policy is drawn from. It's so important to be honest when filling out the census that I'm almost sure it's illegal to knowingly write false info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

tastyt wrote: »
    It's funny to see atheists call people convenient Catholics if they dont go to mass every week or say the rosary daily.

There's nothing more convenient than being atheist. Sit on your hole and do nothing, and every now and then lecture people about how stupid they are and how they should be living.

For people who don't believe in anything or don't care, they seem to care an awful lot about other people's personal decisions which have nothing to do with them.

Except it does affect us. It affects everyone what you write on your census.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I would advise catholics to stop worrying what other people do in their bedrooms.

I would advise atheists to stop worrying about what other people write on their census forms.

What people do in there bedrooms doesn't impact on anyone else.

As has been shown in several posts on this thread what people write on their census forms does.

What people write on their census forms is what give Iona, The RCC and Bishops the perceived right to involve them selves in other peoples bedroom activities in the first place.

Good advice. It's not like what people write on census forms influences stuff like education policy or anything. Oh wait, it totally does.
    It's funny to see atheists call people convenient Catholics if they dint go to mass every week or say the rosary daily.

Again, if religiousness didn't effect us we wouldn't have anything to say about it, but it does; from being told that we should move house to get near a non-religious school (many of which are oversubscribed with "religious" people's kids), to it taking me 15 minutes to convince the woman in admissions in the hospital that I did purposefully put 'none' under the 'religion' part on the form, to having holy joes telling me that I should be denied medical treatment if I happen to be pregnant.

If other people want to paint their arses blue and worship Nargaranath the Blue Arsed I couldn't give less of a toss, but when they start saying that I have to sign up if I want my child educated I'm going to get annoyed.

Isnt that mass and prayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

FFS why is there a double standard in terms of people being allowed their identity.

If I say I am Bisexual, then I am bisexual and no one should dispute that
    If I say I am a woman despite being born a man, then I am a woman and I expect to be seen as such
    If I say I am Irish then I am Irish

But if you say you are catholic then for some reason its OK to dispute that? Why? Accept people for what they want to be accepted as. Give them the same tolerance you expect from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

jester77 wrote: »

Great idea, but where would they install the meter? Come to think of it, is there a charge for Holy Water? We should be told.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not just Ireland - anywhere.
    The rule is a Vatican rule so it applies to all Catholics.
    You also cannot leave Islam.

Well, in Germany, they have to provide the option to leave the church as they will charge you a membership fee, collected from your paycheck each month. I believe the tax office (where you need to register your exit) sends correspondence to the parish where you were baptised and they are required to make note of it in their records.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The problem with people filling out the census as 'Catholic' is that it gives the Catholic hierarchy an overwhelming monopoly on just about everything. Every issue in society requires an opinion from a Bishop/Priest. This is somewhat unfair on other religions, even other denominations of Christianity. If you were to follow to the news you'd be mistaken for thinking all the church leaders of Christian denominations are against SSM. It's mostly just the RCC. Because the Census is so RCC dominant the RCC can still carry lobbying influence and power.
    People should have that in mind when considering what they self identify as.

I don't think it's ever fair to tell people that what they self identify as ideologically is correct/incorrect. Even if it may appear that they thoroughly misunderstand what that labels means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

somefeen wrote: »
    FFS why is there a double standard in terms of people being allowed their identity.

If I say I am a woman despite being born a man, then I am a woman and I expect to be seen as such

But if you say you are catholic then for some reason its OK to dispute that? Why? Accept people for what they want to be accepted as. Give them the same tolerance you expect from them.

Because you're gender,sexuality and ethnicity are something you can't change or dispute.

Religion is an ideology unlike the above. You should have to believe in an ideology to claim you are part of it or you're just a hypocrite if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

somefeen wrote: »

Because the very institution you're claiming membership of doesn't allow you to do so if you don't follow all of their dogma. They'll happily claim to represent you when lobbying government but they'll consider you doomed to hell if you don't follow their teachings to the letter (or seek absolution via confession).

BTW, one of your analogies is wrong too: if someone without any Irish ancestry or an Irish passport claims to be Irish, they'll fairly quickly be told they're not. Even many Americans with Irish ancestry are derided when they claim to be Irish.

Advertisement