Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just be honest with yourself. You're not a Catholic. That's ok.

Options
  • 09-04-2015 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

The purpose of this thread is explore the significant difference between the number of people who identified as catholic in the 2011 census and the stats for weekly church going from Iona.
    There are also statistics showing that over 30% of couples did not get married in a church in Ireland last year. Life will be difficult for them when they have children as the majority of state funded schools are allowed to refuse children without baptism certs.

I would speculate that the difference is there are a lot of people who don't have any active role or interest in the catholic church and they simply haven't critically evaluated their religious identification.
    These are the people I am addressing in this thread.

So let's be honest for a second...
    • The last time you were in a church was a baptism, a wedding or a funeral (or to keep the folks happy)
    • You have had sex before marriage.
    • You disagree with the churches teaching on homosexuality.
    • You live in "sin".
    • You ticked the catholic box in the census "by default" without any critical self evaluation.
    • You wouldn't be mad about the idea of baptising your child but you want a school place and/or keep the parents/in laws happy.
    • You have had a child out of marriage and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    • You call yourself a "cultural" catholic.

If some of these ring through, then you probably aren't a Catholic.
    But that's ok. Nobody has died.

All you have to do in the future is;
    Don't bother ticking catholic in the census anymore.
    Don't use a church for any life events.
    Don't baptise you child for a school place. Instead call on your local TDs and demand equal access schooling for child from the state.

No big deal!
    So whadd'ya think?

If some of these ring through but you do believe in transubstantiation, the resurrection of Christ and the Bible, then this thread is simply not directed at you. Rock on and have a good day.

Religion bashing is completely unwelcome in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In After Hours ? Are you fcukin' joking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not even slightly condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I'm a Catholic to the God maaaaan. Not the crummy church with all it's rules maaaaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Large bag of popcorn please!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I'm quite comfortable referring to myself as a lapsed Catholic thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Zamboni wrote: »
    But that's ok.

Phew.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I think how you identify yourself your own personal choice and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone.

The OP's thread is exactly why I dislike atheism. Not all atheists mind you, but it's hard not to feel some resentment to attitudes like the OP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

The OP's thread is exactly why I dislike atheism. Not all atheists mind you, but it's hard not to feel some resentment to attitudes like the OP's.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im a prolapsed Catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Scrap Baptism for babies

People should not have a forced religion until they actually have an understanding of religion and choose themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

I think how you identify yourself your own personal choice and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone.

Absolutely. But you shouldn't let those personal choices deny others their rights

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Scrap Baptism

People should not have a forced religion until they actually have an understanding of religion and choose themselves.

You think babtism is a deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I was on my way to confession, to confess I am not a Catholic, but now I don't have to go, because the OP says it is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

So let's be honest for a second...
    • The last time you were in a church was a baptism, a wedding or a funeral (or to keep the folks happy)
    • You have had sex before marriage.
    • You disagree with the churches teaching on homosexuality.
    • You live in "sin".
    • You ticked the catholic box in the census "by default" without any critical self evaluation.
    • You wouldn't be mad about the idea of baptising your child but you want a school place and/or keep the parents/in laws happy.
    • You have had a child out of marriage and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    • You call yourself a "cultural" catholic.

All of the above could ring "through" (sic), but one can still be catholic.

What was your point again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

If some of these ring through, then you probably aren't a Catholic. But that's ok. Nobody has died.

That's what Jesus said - you sure you aren't a closet Catholic? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't know what I am, for years I was hungover but I have changed that .... Next

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm tempted to answer catholic next time because of this.

realies wrote: »
    Don't know what I am, for years I was hungover but I have changed that .... Next

Forced Catholic,go to mass or I'll bate your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

I'm definitely a Catholic regardless of all that.

I might even keep ticking the 'I'm a Cathloic' box on consensus forms. I'll just put 'a la carte' in brackets before it.

if a man can identify as being a woman, then I think despite the above I can identify as being Cathloic, ya know, given my Irish upbringing and all.

I'm not religious now, but please don't let that bother you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Agree with almost everything OP said.

Its amazing to see how many "Catholics" there are in this country, holding it back from being progressive, modern country. But the thing is, these "Catholics" aren't Catholics at all; they don't go to Church, they don't take Communion, they take the lord's name in vein(sic?), nevermind the basic tenets of religion, such as believing God created the world in a few days, The Great Flood and how a 599 year old man built an ark to house every kind of creature, the fact their God is an immoral, jealous, murderer.

Next time you're asked your religion, think about it. The more you hold on to your supposed religious identity, the more you're holding others back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The catholic church does put on a good show in fairness, they are the Christian equivalent of the rocky horror show and for that reason alone I will continue to use their services for social events.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

The catholic church does put on a good show in fairness, they are the Christian equivalent of the rocky horror show and for that reason allow I will continue to use their services for social events.

Must remember this if I'm ever inside a Church again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thurmansee wrote: »
    I'd say there a significant percentage of People who ticked Catholic who don'the even believe in God.
    10% of people who go to mass don't believe in god!
    Why so? He's just encouraging people to think about why they would call themselves Catholic if they don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic church. I think it's a fair point; most people I know who baptised etc. their kids did it to keep the family happy, or so the kid wouldn't be 'left out' by not getting to wear a white dress in 1st class. That's not a reason to sign your child up for a religion, believing in the religion is.

The majority of kids baptised these days will participate in church services 5 times in their life: their baptism, communion, confirmation, wedding, and funeral.

I find it strange that atheists 1) take religion more seriously than 'religious' people and 2) generally know more about religion than religious people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think I'll go chat to the dog. She doesn't give a damn what you put down on a census form, as long as she gets fed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

"I have great faith, but I don't go to mass".

Overheard recently. Pretty sure the same person never prays either and lives in a convenient manner but still likes to be called "Catholic". That is the very definition of convenient Catholicism. Church married, but lived with the fiance before hand. Will definitely baptise the child, but wont bring the child to mass.

There are thousands of the above beliefs. Its just a pure "I dont want to be different" mentality.

Thread should be retitled "It's not okay to call yourself Catholic when you're not. BECOME AN ATHEIST NOW YOU HYPOCRITE S**MBAG!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Next time you're asked your religion, think about it. The more you hold on to your supposed religious identity, the more you're holding others back.

Our Lord Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Thread should be retitled "It's not okay to call yourself Catholic when you're not. BECOME AN ATHEIST NOW YOU HYPOCRITE S**MBAG!!!!"

No one expects the Atheist Inquisition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

That's not true at all :D OP took a very reasonable approach.
    If some of these ring through but you do believe in transubstantiation, the resurrection of Christ and the Bible, then this thread is simply not directed at you. Rock on and have a good day.

Religion bashing is completely unwelcome in this thread.

Advertisement