Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just be honest with yourself. You're not a Catholic. That's ok.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Valetta wrote: »
    Ok. Now we're getting somewhere.

Which of the points are ok to still be a catholic, and which definitely rule it out?

If you don't believe in transubstantiation your not catholic!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Choochtown wrote: »
    I would argue that the question on the 2011 Census was very misleading.

It asked: "What is your religion?"

The assumption being that everyone has a religion.

This was directly followed by a list of a choice of 6 boxes to tick with "Roman Catholic" being top of the list.

The last choice of the 6 was "Other" with a space of 20 white boxes to write in your religion.

Only after all of this was a single choice at the very bottom with a box to tick for "No religion"

I believe a much different pattern of results would emerge had the question been worded as follows:

"Do you practise a religion?" Followed by a simple choice Yes or No.
    If Yes is ticked then a choice of boxes to tick is given.

But some practice it when it suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

That wasn't mentioned in the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If you don't believe in transubstantiation your not Roman Catholic

Fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I think the OP is being accused of trying to turn people to Atheism because it is the easiest thing for people to respond with. If you tick all the boxes in the OP's list, then you are not a Catholic. Maybe you are an Athiest, or maybe you would better fit in with another religion/ branch of Christiantity. All the OP is doing is trying to get you stop identifying as one and corrupting data such as the Census.

I'm happy to identify myself as Catholic even though I don't practice and I have no supernatural beliefs. I was baptised and raised Catholic so I don't see any contradiction in this.

The problem with the OP is that he comes across as snotty and, ironically, preachy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Ok. Now we're getting somewhere.

Which of the points are ok to still be a catholic, and which definitely rule it out?

I wouldn't say any single point would definitely rule you out as being a Catholic, except perhaps the "Cultural Catholic" one. However, if you have said yes to every single point, in my opinion, you aren't a Catholic. I would think less of someone who identifies as being Catholic while obeying none/very few of the teachings of the Church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Thread should be retitled "It's not okay to call yourself Catholic when you're not. BECOME AN ATHEIST NOW YOU HYPOCRITE S**MBAG!!!!"
    Because the opposite of Catholic is atheist?

That wasn't mentioned in the OP.

Does that really matter?
    It is one of the key parts of being a catholic as opposed to being just a member of one of the other various christian sects.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Does anyone really believe in that, though? Genuine question.

Even as a kid, back when I still had faith, that bit never stuck with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

I think how you identify yourself your own personal choice and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone.
    I see. So you're definitely not a Roman Catholic.

• Advertisement

In the future atheism will be known as the counterweight religion, the yang to the yin, night to the day, Hardy to the Laurel.

One coin, two sides.
    Atheism is religion as bald is a hair colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

OP's obviously touched a nerve with some people. The OP's post was reasoned and isn't trying to force atheism down people throats.He's just asking to consider things more thoroughly when filling out a census.

People saying "i'm Catholic" without actually practicing or believing in the religion are hypocrites plain and simple. Catholicism isnt an ethnicity, it is a belief system which you should believe in if you want to label yourself as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It is more than a bit presumptuous to say that 88% of people don't know how to communicate.

And there is no other type of catholic other than "Roman", so it is just "catholic"!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because the opposite of Catholic is atheist?

Nope. Dogholic.

Knex. wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe in that, though? Genuine question.

Even as a kid, back when I still had faith, that bit never stuck with me.

I'm the worst judge of what people really believe, this stuff all seems like nonsense to me.

crockholm wrote: »
    I have a friend who says that he weighs 13 and a half stone,in truth,he would be about fifteen stone.Why does he say it? More pertinently-Why should I care?

Ought I Point out to him that he is,in my opinion not 13 and a half stone whenever the subject is brought up.

If I did,people might rightly label me an asshole for being so anal about it.

It's his business and once again, why should I care?
    If there comes a question "How much do you weigh? on the census form and as a result of your friends delusional notions legislation is brought in not to bother making any seat in the country capable of bearing more than 13 stone then you would have to care.
    Thats kinda how it is with the cultural catholic daftness we have in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

crockholm wrote: »
    Would that be because it was an historical event,in the sense that it happened,you were baptized catholic.To get that scrapped would be re-Writing history-no?

Well you could up 'till a few years ago and thousands did but they put a stop to it (I'm guessing that might've been why they put a stop to it). I was given some vague reason in a letter that I don't remember. I'll scan and post it later when I get home from work (and I remember to do it).

Point being, even if you wanted to officially leave and take yourself off the baptismal roll, you can't. I don't know any organisation that runs business that way, particularly when it wasn't actually you who signed yourself up to it in the first place. That isn't fair by any stretch of the imagination.

The anniversary of my baptism was published in the local bulletin a few years ago and I haven't been to mass of my own free will since about 1993 and I don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic church in anyway, shape or form and don't call myself Catholic...but I can't leave. Beyond nonsensical. I'm not a militant atheist and avoid these threads usually but fair is fair. The church aren't playing fair when it comes to this and I think it's justified that many of us are ticked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

catallus wrote: »
    It is more than a bit presumptuous to say that 88% of people don't know how to communicate.

And there is no other type of catholic other than "Roman", so it is just "catholic"!

The Church of Ireland is a catholic church, just not Roman Catholic.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ah. The good old 'movearoo' post was a long time coming.
    Can i assume you want:
    Euro worth the same as the dollar- Moved to Finance
    or
    What song makes you say choooone- Moved to Music
    or
    How should 1916 be remembered- Moved to Politics or History?

This special pleading seems exclusive to catholic themed threads in AH
    Funny dat.....

I'm happy to identify myself as Catholic even though I don't practice and I have no supernatural beliefs. I was baptised and raised Catholic so I don't see any contradiction in this.

The problem with the OP is that he comes across as snotty and, ironically, preachy.
    Wut?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think most people ticking the Catholic box on the census aren't Catholics tbh.

IMO, there's a large number of them who don't believe in God, Jesus or anything that could be considered "Christian" and an even larger section that (once Catholic doctrine on transubstantiation, the sanctity of the "virgin" Mary, the rejection of sola scriptura, the necessity of meritorious works for salvation, purgatory etc. are explained to them*) would be far more accurately described as Protestant.

Just try telling them that they're a "dirty prod" though... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't think we should even record religious belief on the census. Any belief that's held by an adult that has no foundation in fact or reasoning is deserving of scorn, not respect.

*it's quite telling imo that most atheists seem to have a better knowledge of Catholic teaching than self professed "Catholics" in this country IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Shenshen wrote: »
    I am German, and I have.
    However, I'm given to understand that if you were baptised in Ireland, you no longer have the option to opt-out. The church decided to not accept your letter of defection any more a few years back.
    Not just Ireland - anywhere.
    The rule is a Vatican rule so it applies to all Catholics.
    You also cannot leave Islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Well you could up 'till a few years ago and thousands did but they put a stop to it (I'm guessing that might've been why they put a stop to it). I was given some vague reason in a letter that I don't remember. I'll scan and post it later when I get home from work (and I remember to do it).

Point being, even if you wanted to officially leave and take yourself off the baptismal roll, you can't. I don't know any organisation that runs business that way, particularly when it wasn't actually you who signed yourself up to it in the first place. That isn't fair by any stretch of the imagination.

The anniversary of my baptism was published in the local bulletin a few years ago and I haven't been to mass of my own free will since about 1993 and I don't believe in the teachings of the Catholic church in anyway, shape or form and don't call myself Catholic...but I can't leave. Beyond nonsensical. I'm not a militant atheist and avoid these threads usually but fair is fair. The church aren't playing fair when it comes to this and I think it's justified that many of us are ticked off.

Playing devils advocate now,but what they seem to be objecting is that you want to delete or re-write the events of that particular day,and they're just not allowing it.FWIW,I Believe you have the right to be seperated from the Church-if that means a cert acknowledging that the relationship has come to an end.

Just a pity that the Mormons will get you once you die sometime next Century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I think how you identify yourself your own personal choice and you shouldn't have to justify yourself to anyone.

The OP's thread is exactly why I dislike atheism. Not all atheists mind you, but it's hard not to feel some resentment to attitudes like the OP's.

Yeah resentment to the attitude of equal oppurtunity for education to ALL kids - regardless of parents belief.

Resentment to the disagreement of the RCC appalling attitude to gay people.

yeah, f*ck athiests how arrogant they are huh ?

We should all go back to believing the thin lipped angry little men dressed in black telling us all what to do ...

spacetweek wrote: »
    You also cannot leave Islam.

You can, but the prescribed punishment means you leave everything else as well.

The worst that would happen here is that your mad auntie, the one with the gaff full of catpiss and crucifixes, wouldn't talk to you any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Wut?:confused:

Yep that's what I wrote. I think one can still identify oneself as Catholic even without having any supernatural beliefs. Still confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sleepy wrote: »
    *it's quite telling imo that most atheists seem to have a better knowledge of Catholic teaching than self professed "Catholics" in this country IMO.

Probably stands to reason.

Not many things will shatter your belief as quickly as actually reading the Bible, imo.

Yep that's what I wrote. I think one can still identify oneself as Catholic even without having any supernatural beliefs. Still confused?

Your '?' there at the end? Typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

If there comes a question "How much do you weigh? on the census form and as a result of your friends delusional notions legislation is brought in not to bother making any seat in the country capable of bearing more than 13 stone then you would have to care.
    Thats kinda how it is with the cultural catholic daftness we have in this country.

May I ask what particular laws are being drafted to cater solely for members of the catholic religion in Ireland now?

• Advertisement

Yes.
    Catholicism by its definition requires a certain set of beliefs which are all supernatural.
    I get what youre saying but frankly its cobblers.
    Anyone by all means is free to claim they are what ever they like, absolutely.
    I can right now decide Im a tree but simply saying so does not make it so.

Advertisement