Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

FIL had a good LM cow in the mart Monday, 670kgs made 1130 so pretty similar your prices limestone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sold this lad in Carrigallen last Sat.
    August born, 410kg - €1070.

'Scuse the mess in the background, I am not a tidy shed person. :o

L3fjvjll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

sold 3 bullocks yesterday

lgl 580kg €1375
    and two of my own bull these are the first cattle sold of him

lm 570kg €1390
    lm 535kg €1235 he is off a red angus cow so was a bit plainer

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Agent picked up 8 black HEX for me. 21 to 24 months old averaging 475kg. 6 of them really nice straight growthy cattle the other 2 a good bit plainer.
    €1107

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Kovu wrote: »
    Sold this lad in Carrigallen last Sat.
    August born, 410kg - €1070.

'Scuse the mess in the background, I am not a tidy shed person. :o

L3fjvjll.jpg

Very nice , what's his breeding?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Very nice , what's his breeding?

SFL out of a Navarin bred cow. Good bit of milk to her too.
    To be honest he did no thrive until he got into the shed, was very poor looking and batshít crazy to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

I got a few SFL straws recently, what sort of cow does he suit best?

tanko wrote: »
    I got a few SFL straws recently, what sort of cow does he suit best?

He'll usually bring a red blue if there's a good bit of limo in the dam, seems to work very well (for us) on half ch/half limo cattle. Have a red bull to him this year and he looks like he'll make a cracking calf. Used him a few times on the pb's and got average enough ones, the heifers always seems to muscle up better behind than the bulls for whatever reason. He does carry that dwarfism gene too so hope you don't get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Agent picked up 8 black HEX for me. 21 to 24 months old averaging 475kg. 6 of them really nice straight growthy cattle the other 2 a good bit plainer.
    €1107

Sold 2 last mt ave 458kg €930 16mts old. I was done!! :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Sold 2 last mt ave 458kg €930 16mts old. I was done!! :'(

No I was done !
    Ah no am happy enough with them. A bit more than I would like to have given.Hungry type and quiet as lambs from West clare so should do well on the lush pastures of south east clare !
    Yours sound like good value. Were they fleshy

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    No I was done !
    Ah no am happy enough with them. A bit more than I would like to have given.Hungry type and quiet as lambs from West clare so should do well on the lush pastures of south east clare !
    Yours sound like good value. Were they fleshy

Not over done. Very tall and long frame. They will hang plenty of flesh for the next man!

2 average sept 14 weanlings out this week black LM's
    320kgs made 800
    354kgs made 875

Nice red LM June 14 heifer 494kgs made 1120

trade in general was back a good bit on last year I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Dozer1 wrote: »
    2 average sept 14 weanlings out this week black LM's
    320kgs made 800
    354kgs made 875

Nice red LM June 14 heifer 494kgs made 1120

trade in general was back a good bit on last year I thought

Sept 15 weanlings I take you mean? Trade isnsn back anywhere near in line where the beef price is compared to last year..

yep Sept 15 weanlings,
    agree the beef price is back which obviously is the main driving factor but its borderline that I made anything out of them 2 lads and they were growthy enough so the next lad has plenty room to make a turn out of them

I'd have rather keep them to around the 400kgs mark but didn't have room for 2 bulls here on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Hi lads, dairy farmer here and don't frequent the marts. I have a half dozen holstein/friesian store bulls,about 480 to 500 kg's, 15 to 16 months. How much a kg are the likes of these worth. I have some interest in them and will probably sell in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hi lads, dairy farmer here and don't frequent the marts. I have a half dozen holstein/friesian store bulls,about 480 to 500 kg's, 15 to 16 months. How much a kg are the likes of these worth. I have some interest in them and will probably sell in the yard.

Sell quick ,1.80'/1.90 a kg .saw really nice square br fr bullocks make 2.15 A kg weighing 420 kg 2 weeks ago .cattle scarce atm but Arse is going to fall out quick at end of summer I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Doubt if you would get 1.8/kg in the mart. At present there are making about 3.9/kg DW in the factory. At a K/O of 47-48% that equates to about 1.87/kg. However they cost more to feed than they put on in weight. To get them to 600kgs LW they will take about 100 days . It will cost about 2.5/day. They will kill about 280kgs. At present day price they will make about 1090. Take out 250 for feeding and 50 for transport, vet, slaughter fee and IFA levy (if you pay it). Take 100 out for margin.

Any lad giving you more than 690 is working for nothing. I would not even pay that for them . If you bought them now it will be early October before they are ready. What price then 3.5/kg. friesian bulls are only in demand when there is a shortage of cattle. I be slow paying ( actually I would not pay)more than 550-600 for them. Anybody taht will is going to lose money.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Sell in the yard if you can id say. I saw about 10 hols/fr bullocks about that weight in Castlearea mart last week. Some didn't open at all. Best price was 620 for a 480 kg one. Maybe they don't sell that well in the west though. There was a lot of fr cows out as well.

croot wrote: »
    Sell in the yard if you can id say. I saw about 10 hols/fr bullocks about that weight in Castlearea mart last week. Some didn't open at all. Best price was 620 for a 480 kg one. Maybe they don't sell that well in the west though. There was a lot of fr cows out as well.

They are a limited market. Small money small margin. Miller provides the credit. Every body gets paid..................in the end. Lads that do them are agnostics. Now and again they hit lucky. We are at the bottom of the cycle at present where HO bulls are. So all agnostic's myself included see no upturn in them. Agnostics assume that if you buy a bunch that half will grade O=/+ the rest will be O-/P's.

There is always a buyer at a price. f you buy them at 550 you will make a twist, at 500 and the market is stronger in the autumn than we think (370/kg) your in the money 56/head extra. We are in the McDonalds euro save menu.

I be shifting them if a lad offers 650+ I be selling, if he is paying 700/head I be going for the angle grinder ( or better still consaw ) to take everything from the shoulder off.

TBH I am getting very fearful about the present market. Even though the numbers are on finishers side they are carrying heavy losses. Processors are determined to drop the autumn price. TBH they seem determined to drop finished cattle prices back to the 3/kg mark DW.

Considering that the numbers are so much in our favour I cannot understand the fear. But the market is unsettled. Any cattle are that outside spec will be targeted.

I have heard a story that the big three are determined to pull cattle in the next 2-3 weeks. If Brexit happens it will help them. However IMO they will do a deal with larger finishers (if they can find them as they are nearly all squeezed out of the market). The processors know that finishers are carrying heavy losses, and will not fill sheds next autumn unless store prices are 25-40% back on last year and contract are in place as well.

To put that in context 500kg He and AA stores will need to be trading at 1.4-1.6/kg. The Fr store will be at 1/kg and the fancy Ch bullock will need to be from 1.8-2/kg.

Slava Ukrainii

They are a limited market. Small money small margin. Miller provides the credit. Every body gets paid..................in the end. Lads that do them are agnostics. Now and again they hit lucky. We are at the bottom of the cycle at present where HO bulls are. So all agnostic's myself included see no upturn in them. Agnostics assume that if you buy a bunch that half will grade O=/+ the rest will be O-/P's.

There is always a buyer at a price. f you buy them at 550 you will make a twist, at 500 and the market is stronger in the autumn than we think (370/kg) your in the money 56/head extra. We are in the McDonalds euro save menu.

I be shifting them if a lad offers 650+ I be selling, if he is paying 700/head I be going for the angle grinder ( or better still consaw ) to take everything from the shoulder off.

TBH I am getting very fearful about the present market. Even though the numbers are on finishers side they are carrying heavy losses. Processors are determined to drop the autumn price. TBH they seem determined to drop finished cattle prices back to the 3/kg mark DW.

Considering that the numbers are so much in our favour I cannot understand the fear. But the market is unsettled. Any cattle are that outside spec will be targeted.

I have heard a story that the big three are determined to pull cattle in the next 2-3 weeks. If Brexit happens it will help them. However IMO they will do a deal with larger finishers (if they can find them as they are nearly all squeezed out of the market). The processors know that finishers are carrying heavy losses, and will not fill sheds next autumn unless store prices are 25-40% back on last year and contract are in place as well.

To put that in context 500kg He and AA stores will need to be trading at 1.4-1.6/kg. The Fr store will be at 1/kg and the fancy Ch bullock will need to be from 1.8-2/kg.

That would mean dropping back cattle between 250-300per head on current prices. Nice 500kg HEX are nearly making €2 in some marts at the minute. I've also seen FR cattle make up to 1.70 at that weight. Current prices are back a further 80-100 euro on last yrs prices in June and July. That would absolutely screw the beef industry IMO if they go that hard on the price pull. hopefully it's not just the optimist in me but I can see prices at the €3.60 level and no worse base price by Nov and only at that for few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭amacca

I have a bunch of plain HE/AAX crosses around the 24month mark (some of them with big frames) between 540 and 570kilos at the moment, ive let them off in the mart october/november/run up to christmas in previous years when the majority are well over 600kilos and a good few over 700.

Do ye think Id be as well letting them off now? Thing is Id have loads of grass for them that'd probably be going to waste otherwise.

amacca wrote: »
    I have a bunch of plain HE/AAX crosses around the 24month mark (some of them with big frames) between 540 and 570kilos at the moment, ive let them off in the mart october/november/run up to christmas in previous years when the majority are well over 600kilos and a good few over 700.

Do ye think Id be as well letting them off now? Thing is Id have loads of grass for them that'd probably be going to waste otherwise.

Let them go and sell meadows for silage .win win .with amount of cattle in system cattle price going to drop pretty soon and maby hard at that .

amacca wrote: »

Flog the heavier lads.. Keep the lighter lads to keep grass under control then buy a gaggle of stores mid August.

That would mean dropping back cattle between 250-300per head on current prices. Nice 500kg HEX are nearly making €2 in some marts at the minute. I've also seen FR cattle make up to 1.70 at that weight. Current prices are back a further 80-100 euro on last yrs prices in June and July. That would absolutely screw the beef industry IMO if they go that hard on the price pull. hopefully it's not just the optimist in me but I can see prices at the €3.60 level and no worse base price by Nov and only at that for few weeks.

What will you be buying as replacements for what you've sold this yr if you reckon there is going to be a such a massive flop in the price?

14 birthday cattle aren't that plentiful. But 15 birthday cattle are.. I think the 3.90 is the cross hair in the coming weeks. thing will hold reasonably close to 3.90 until August and dive possibly another 20 or 30 cent... Which is humble potatoes but not disastrous after a good summer. Disastrous will be after Christmas I think. Knives will be out then on.

Willfarman wrote: »
    14 birthday cattle aren't that plentiful. But 15 birthday cattle are.. I think the 3.90 is the cross hair in the coming weeks. thing will hold reasonably close to 3.90 until August and dive possibly another 20 or 30 cent... Which is humble potatoes but not disastrous after a good summer. Disastrous will be after Christmas I think. Knives will be out then on.

I think it will be topsey turvey until 2015 start to come on stream. If cattle tighten for July/Aug price may remain around 4/kg. It is mostly cows and the last of the shed cattle that has jumped the kill last week. However this may only be a blip and you could see the kill drop to 28K again in 2-3 weeks. However processors are determined to keep a lit on prices for next few weeks if possible.

It is when the 2015 heifers and lighter bullocks come on stream from October on that the pressure will start. 3.5 will be the target. They might find it hard to source cattle over the winter too many fellas burned over last winter. Lads still remember the bull saga in January 2013. However as cattle start to come on stream in large quanties at what ever stage next year we can kiss our ass goodbye.

Slava Ukrainii

I think it will be topsey turvey until 2015 start to come on stream. If cattle tighten for July/Aug price may remain around 4/kg. It is mostly cows and the last of the shed cattle that has jumped the kill last week. However this may only be a blip and you could see the kill drop to 28K again in 2-3 weeks. However processors are determined to keep a lit on prices for next few weeks if possible.

It is when the 2015 heifers and lighter bullocks come on stream from October on that the pressure will start. 3.5 will be the target. They might find it hard to source cattle over the winter too many fellas burned over last winter. Lads still remember the bull saga in January 2013. However as cattle start to come on stream in large quanties at what ever stage next year we can kiss our ass goodbye.

Oh Lord Bass I hope your wrong. What would you say to a gombeen that is after buying 15 HEX 410kg ave for €790 hoping to make a few bob on them in November. 😕😕

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Well the prices are well talked down already so it must be true. Does everyone really pay that much heed to some clown from abp and his little scare tactic to pull in a few head more. Prices won't be top notch but they won't be near as bad as the talk on here.

Miname wrote: »
    Well the prices are well talked down already so it must be true. Does everyone really pay that much heed to some clown from abp and his little scare tactic to pull in a few head more. Prices won't be top notch but they won't be near as bad as the talk on here.

In fairness tho if u look at cmns and see what's comming on stream it don't look good .a bit like milk currently too much milk =low demand =lie price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I think ye are spot on. Allot of cows in the kill last few weeks. 5/10c drop in two or three weeks as more grass cattle cum onto the kill. Allot of 24mth bulls ect getting in the last few weeks as cattle numbers are a small bit tight.

Next year not looking good but will it drop calf prices next spring and get a few more on the boat to get a bit of pull back or will lads buy regardless? My guess is the shippers will be outbid agin.

Advertisement