Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulao Diet - Few Questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Mellor wrote: »
    The be honest the first and only time I came across him, he posted a "typical day", where he ate 4000-5000 cals of fruit and veg and made all sort of nonsense claims. Was a really bad, even dangerous, diet to suggest. If he's mellowed out that's good. But based on his initial "knowledge", he will never be someone id look to for diet advice.

I don't think he's "mellowed" in any way, but himself and Freelee are no longer raw fruitarians eating mainly raw fruits and veg. if that's what you mean, and haven't been for a number of years. They've come up with Raw Till 4 to appeal to a wider audience and that's how they eat.

Rawtill4 is a long term lifestyle, not a diet and it's impossible to accurately assess it based on one video alone.

I don't know what sort of nonsense claims or dangerous dietary advise you heard, but I certainly don't follow any by him or any other diet or lifestyle guru for that matter.

The central tenets of raw till 4 are Sleep, Water, Sugar (i.e. carbs), eat a plant based diet consisting ~ 80/10/10 caloric nutrient ratio, no calorie restriction, and moderate exercise.

Get 8 to 10 hours sleep a night (with preferably naps during the day), stay well hydrated, eat a diet consisting of about 80% healthy carbs from fruits and veg, rice, legumes, starches like potatoes and corn, plus plant fats and proteins, eat as much as I like of this type of food (It works for a lot of people who have the patience and desire to lose weight long term as long as they exercise also, but I'm not on it for that reason as I'm fortunate to never put on weight. I simply love the food and the ethics of eating that way, and find eating high carbs work very well for my health, fitness and lifestyle).

There's more to it than that but those are the basic tenets.

He tells people if you want to look like a distance Kenyan or Ethiopian runner then you have to eat like one. Again I see nothing wrong there if that's the aesthetic you're aiming for. Their traditional diet typically happens to fall into that high carb. 80/10/10 ratio anyway and they get huge amounts of sleep and they keep well hydrated. Lots of tea even when they run as well as water, but I love tea so am not about to drop that from my diet no matter what DR or anyone else advises. I won't be challenging Tirunesh Dibaba any time soon for medals (too damn old for a start) but at least I can maximise my own potential as a runner by eating like her and sleeping like her, even if I don't want to train as much as her :)

For me all that is sensible advise, nothing dangerous there.

I ignore any advise I don't think is healthy or will work for me- I don't follow his example of sometimes pouring refined sugar on smoothies for example, I'm not 100% vegan-I eat fish and seafood occasionally, I don't abstain from caffeine, I don't abstain completely from alcohol or cooking oils, nor do I eat mostly fruitarian in winter like they do as it's simply impossible to get enough quality fruit here so I tend towards Starch Solution in winter to suit our climate. Oh and I add a little salt to my food too otherwise I find some dishes too bland, unlike DR and Freelee.

I pick and choose what will work for me, simple as. I imagine most people have (or should have) the good sense to do likewise and not to blindly and uncritically follow to the letter what someone with no health or nutrition qualifications says.

Ok, this has gone off topic, sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Greentopia wrote: »
    Rawtill4 is a long term lifestyle, not a diet and it's impossible to accurately assess it based on one video alone.
    Any “lifestyle” that includes guidance or instruction on the food you should eat is a diet. It’s the very basic definition of the word. It might not be a weight-loss diet. But thats a different thing all together.
    Paleo, vegetarian, vegan, kosher, kangatarian, etc...are all diets.
    Get 8 to 10 hours sleep a night (with preferably naps during the day), stay well hydrated, eat a diet consisting of about 80% healthy carbs from fruits and veg, rice, legumes, starches like potatoes and corn, plus plant fats and proteins, eat as much as I like of this type of food (It works for a lot of people who have the patience and desire to lose weight long term as long as they exercise also...
    The main issue I see ith aiming for 10% fat and protein, is that if you are regularly falling short, you could be looking at health issues.
    I don't see anytihgn wrong with eating real food. My own diet would be similar foods, plus animal fat and protein. In different ratios.
    He tells people if you want to look like a distance Kenyan or Ethiopian runner then you have to eat like one. Again I see nothing wrong there if that's the aesthetic you're aiming for. Their traditional diet typically happens to fall into that high carb. 80/10/10 ratio anyway and they get huge amounts of sleep and they keep well hydrated...
    Marathon runners eat and look as they do due to the sport they compete in. Not for aesthetics, not for health (i’d be surprised if it was actually healthy at the top level tbh)
    Emulating them for any reason other than competitive sport level its silly, imo. Especially aesthetics.
    I ignore any advise I don't think is healthy or will work for me- I don't follow his example of sometimes pouring refined sugar on smoothies for example, ...
    Good idea.
    I pick and choose what will work for me, simple as. I imagine most people have (or should have) the good sense to do likewise and not to blindly and uncritically follow to the letter what someone with no health or nutrition qualifications says.
    You be surprised tbh. If people are willing to try to survive on lemon juice and water, or maple syrup and pepper, then they'll following anything

Advertisement