Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulao Diet - Few Questions

Options
  • 08-04-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a stone to loose around the middle and have opted to go with the pulao diet as it doesn't involve counting calories which I know I wouldn't stick to.,

Few questions in relation to the diet as I'm new to dieting as well.

What is the story with nuts and peas on this diet? I have no knowledge in relation to the breakdown of this category of food, eg-legumes, peas, ect... are they allowed? Chick peas, cashews?

Sauces- It will be impossible to eat just meat and veg only every day without at least having the odd sauce with some dinners. I have looked up recipes for homemade sauces which mostly include just passata, spices and onions but there is a small percentage of the sauces (the milder ones) that do include some natural yogurt as part of the cooking recipe. Is it really breaking the rules of pulao that much to have the odd sauce that includes a bit of natural yogurt?

Decaffeinated - allowed or not allowed? I know regular coffee is not allowed but is that purely because of the caffeine so will decaf ne allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭Rfrip

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have a stone to loose around the middle and have opted to go with the pulao diet as it doesn't involve counting calories which I know I wouldn't stick to.,

Few questions in relation to the diet as I'm new to dieting as well.

What is the story with nuts and peas on this diet? I have no knowledge in relation to the breakdown of this category of food, eg-legumes, peas, ect... are they allowed? Chick peas, cashews?

Sauces- It will be impossible to eat just meat and veg only every day without at least having the odd sauce with some dinners. I have looked up recipes for homemade sauces which mostly include just passata, spices and onions but there is a small percentage of the sauces (the milder ones) that do include some natural yogurt as part of the cooking recipe. Is it really breaking the rules of pulao that much to have the odd sauce that includes a bit of natural yogurt?

Decaffeinated - allowed or not allowed? I know regular coffee is not allowed but is that purely because of the caffeine so will decaf ne allowed?

Paleo??

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

It doesn't matter if you eat like a caveman, losing weight is 100% to do with the amount of calories you eat regardless of whether a caveman had access to them

Just eat real food. You would be better off eating like your grandparents and having a decent idea of your calorie intake

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paleo isn't a weight loss diet. It's simply a lifestyle diet.
    If your goal is to lose weight then you need to educate yourself on weightloss.

There's a few versions of paleo. None are more "correct" than others. But personally I think some are better.
    Nuts are included in all. Peanuts (legumes) not always included.
    Dairy can be in or out, to various degrees. A lot exclude milk and yogurt but will allow butter and sometimes cheese.
    I've never heard of caffine being excluded. Bulletproof coffee is very heavily paleo influenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Paleo diet is v difficult I'm on it cause of an autoimmune disease and even then it's v hard to stick to

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

There is so many health kicks these days how do you know whats best i WAS WATCHING a program on tele the other night about nutrition and diet and it explained that fruit and veg have lost a lot of their nutrients and 5 a day is not enough that you would nearly have to take a least 15 portions of fruit and veg a day how the hell could you fit in 15 portions of fruit and veg a day????????????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

National Geographic did a fascinating article last year looking at tribal diets around the world. It's a far more realistic look at the way people adapt to eat what's available in different parts of the world.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/evolution-of-diet/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

crestglan wrote:
    There is so many health kicks these days how do you know whats best i WAS WATCHING a program on tele the other night about nutrition and diet and it explained that fruit and veg have lost a lot of their nutrients and 5 a day is not enough that you would nearly have to take a least 15 portions of fruit and veg a day how the hell could you fit in 15 portions of fruit and veg a day????????????

Don't believe everything you see on TV would be my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you see on TV would be my advice

This.

If I believed everything these shows on TV told me, then I'd think everything gave me cancer. I'd then want to wrap myself in cotton wool, only to be told that cotton wool gives you cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Eat less. Walk more. Job done.

^^

It'd be a short book, which is why it hasn't been written, but it's been working with a 100% success rate from a time long before books existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This.

If I believed everything these shows on TV told me, then I'd think everything gave me cancer.

The irony being that de telly would have given you cancer inanwayas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The irony being that de telly would have given you cancer inanwayas.

If you're into eating tellys, I'd say cancer would be the least if your worries...

endacl wrote: »
    If you're into eating tellys, I'd say cancer would be the least if your worries...

I meant the cancerous rays emitted from the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

crestglan wrote: »

:D I lol'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

easy
    breakfast: oats with apple & blueberries - 2
    lunch: lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn, cucumber - 5
    dinner: broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, courgettes, peas, 5
    snacks: oranges, bananas, pears - 3

15 portions - this would be an average day for me, give or take a few different types of veg & fruit.
    Obviously you can add protein into your lunch & dinner if you wish.

Firedance wrote: »
    easy
    breakfast: oats with apple & blueberries - 2
    lunch: lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn, cucumber - 5
    dinner: broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, courgettes, peas, 5
    snacks: oranges, bananas, pears - 3

15 portions - this would be an average day for me, give or take a few different types of veg & fruit.
    Obviously you can add protein into your lunch & dinner if you wish.

That's 15 different fruits and vegetables, not 15 portions.
    maybe 8 portions.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's 15 different fruits and vegetables, not 15 portions.
    maybe 8 portions.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Portionsizes.aspx

Id have to disagree given I didn't give any information on the portion size I eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I meant the cancerous rays emitted from the tv.

What?

Saipanne wrote: »
    What?

I wasn't being entirely serious.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Portionsizes.aspx

Id have to disagree given I didn't give any information on the portion size I eat.
    Well you still haven't given portion sizes?
    Maybe you are eating huge amount soft veg and little else.

My point is if I have oats and blueberries for breakfast, that’s typically one portion.
    I, the nest day, I have blueberries and strawberries, that doesn’t suddenly become 2 portions unless the quantity is doubled.

Well you still haven't given portion sizes?
    Maybe you are eating huge amount soft veg and little else.

My point is if I have oats and blueberries for breakfast, that’s typically one portion.
    I, the nest day, I have blueberries and strawberries, that doesn’t suddenly become 2 portionsunless the quantity is doubled.

ok no problem, here's the breakdown.

breakfast: oats 1 portion of blueberries followed by 1 whole apple - 2
    lunch: lettuce, 1 tomato, 1 5cm slice of pepper, 3 tbls of sweetcorn, 1 5 cm slice of cucumber - 5
    dinner: 2 broccoli spears (min), 2 tbls carrots,3 large mushrooms, 5cm courgette, 3 tbls peas, 5
    snacks: 1 x orange, 1 x banana, 1 x pears - 3

the only thing I haven't quantified is the lettuce, I may not eat enough of that to make 1 full portion however, I'd often eat more than 2 broccoli spears. Yes you're right I eat a lot of veg and fruit and very little else, for e.g I don't have any other carbs with my dinner, the carbs in the veg is more than sufficient for me. I'm only trying to point out that its possible to eat much more than your '5 a day' if you wanted to. Lunch often includes Tuna, dinner usually includes some chicken or salmon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lunch: lettuce, 1 tomato, 1 5cm slice of pepper, 3 tbls of sweetcorn, 1 5 cm slice of cucumber - 5
    dinner: 2 broccoli spears (min), 2 tbls carrots,3 large mushrooms, 5cm courgette, 3 tbls peas, 5
    snacks: 1 x orange, 1 x banana, 1 x pears - 3

the only thing I haven't quantified is the lettuce, I may not eat enough of that to make 1 full portion however, I'd often eat more than 2 broccoli spears. Yes you're right I eat a lot of veg and fruit and very little else, for e.g I don't have any other carbs with my dinner, the carbs in the veg is more than sufficient for me. I'm only trying to point out that its possible to eat much more than your '5 a day' if you wanted to. Lunch often includes Tuna, dinner usually includes some chicken or salmon.

Do you eat any fat? Fat soluble vitamins need fat to be absorbed

ford2600 wrote: »
    Do you eat any fat? Fat soluble vitamins need fat to be absorbed

yes absolutely, I use olive oil or coconut oil to stir fry my veg or on my salads and I eat the oats & fruit with greek yoghurt, I'd have milk too and sometimes but a small knob of butter on my veg if I've steamed them. Other snacks include nuts / nut butter / humus. I would hope I cover all the good food groups, or at least I try too. Water consumption (too little) is my big downfall, along with chocolate (too much) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

yes absolutely, I use olive oil or coconut oil to stir fry my veg or on my salads and I eat the oats & fruit with greek yoghurt, I'd have milk too and sometimes but a small knob of butter on my veg if I've steamed them. Other snacks include nuts / nut butter / humus. I would hope I cover all the good food groups, or at least I try too. Water consumption (too little) is my big downfall, along with chocolate (too much) :)

I thought you were Durianrider and that was all you had to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The thing about modern fruit and vegetables having less nutrients than a few decades ago is a myth (mostly perpetuated by those who sell vitamin tablets).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

That's easy enough. 15 a day is the recommended amount in Japan actually. Most Western Governments recommend only 5 a day based on WHO recommendations because they think that's "do-able" for most people and if they were to recommend more (a recent study by University College London says a minimum of 10 portions is what's really needed), too many people would balk at the prospect of eating that many portions so they brought it down to a more "realistic" 5-a-day.

I normally get at least 15 a day without much difficulty eating the way I do.

ford2600 wrote: »
    I thought you were Durianrider and that was all you had to eat

DR eats loads of rice, potatoes, other cooked carbs in his evening meals like Thai, Indian and other Asian dishes, also vegan pizzas, burritos, and I've seen him eat vegan treats like cup cakes and apple turnover type deserts every now and then.

He doesn't just eat fruit and veg. :D

Greentopia wrote: »
    He doesn't just eat fruit and veg. :D

He doesn't. But he like to pretend that he does. Which is much worse imo.

snacks: 1 x orange, 1 x banana, 1 x pears - 3 .
    In that case it is a lot. So it's orob clise to 15.
    But I'm sure you understand my point that number of fruits & veg doesn't always equal number of portions. going both ways.

For example, my breakfast just now was Heuvos rancheros. Onions, mushrooms, red pepper, lettuce, tomatoes.
    I don't count that as hitting 5 a day yet. Mush, onions, pepper =2, tomatoes = 2, lettuce = 0, imo

He doesn't. But he like to pretend that he does. Which is much worse imo.

He's proudly posted himself eating 3 pizzas in one sitting, and shows himself eating humungous amounts of rice dishes when he's out with Freelee. I've watched the videos. He does so to give Rawtill4 wider appeal-showing that followers can have pizza, Asian dishes and other popular dishes if they want to eat out especially. It's to show precisely that you don't have to limit yourself to fruits and veg. on that lifestyle. Maybe you're thinking of years ago when they were fully raw 80/10/10?

I eat modified rawtill4 myself and I certainly don't eat only fruit and veg. :)

• Advertisement

The be honest the first and only time I came across him, he posted a "typical day", where he ate 4000-5000 cals of fruit and veg and made all sort of nonsense claims. Was a really bad, even dangerous, diet to suggest. If he's mellowed out that's good. But based on his initial "knowledge", he will never be someone id look to for diet advice.

Advertisement