Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I am fairly sure I test drove that car in Greystones last year. At the time there was a crack in the exhaust manifold and am issue with the brakes but its a huge amount of car for the money.

"An issue with the brakes" is usually the start of an expensive journey for Rolls Royce owners. It starts with that innocent looking light on the dash that should go out after a few seconds, but stays on.

Any manifold can be welded, but the hydraulic system is a real ball breaker.

kadman wrote: »
    Classic testing NCT with a rolling road to test the brakes and steering and tyres. No lift needed.Basic safety test.

Why you yourself would not even have to get out of your precious:p

Exactly - this is what happens on the ITV in Spain, you dont have to leave the car.

There is absolutely no need for NCT testers to damage a car when checking for rust - anyone who knows what they are looking for wont mistake good metal and damage it. A tap will tell you all you meed to know before the screwdriver comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I am fairly sure I test drove that car in Greystones last year.

Of course. Now I know why it looked so familiar. That car was probably bought for around the €5k mark, it looks fantastic but at the time I looked into the issue with the brakes and it would cost a small fortune to get sorted.

I guess it wasn't sorted. So still no NCT, back up for sale because the buyer realised the financial extent of the problem. Dealer presents the car well, hoping another fool will bite...

I know that sounds harsh and if I'm honest I was tempted by that car myself last year. I guess in a few years time it won't need any NCT anymore. Which isn't right in my opinion. Cars should never be exempt and certainly not when they did not pass any safety check before reaching the age of becoming exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

"An issue with the brakes" is usually the start of an expensive journey for Rolls Royce owners. It starts with that innocent looking light on the dash that should go out after a few seconds, but stays on.

Any manifold can be welded, but the hydraulic system is a real ball breaker.

Yes, it was the brakes issue that turned me off it. Also, it being a gold roller made me feel a little icky driving it. Never been in anything that says "In your face poor people ! " so much ( and I am no lefty :) )

unkel wrote: »
    Of course. Now I know why it looked so familiar. That car was probably bought for around the €5k mark, it looks fantastic but at the time I looked into the issue with the brakes and it would cost a small fortune to get sorted.

I guess it wasn't sorted. So still no NCT, back up for sale because the buyer realised the financial extent of the problem. Dealer presents the car well, hoping another fool will bite...

I know that sounds harsh and if I'm honest I was tempted by that car myself last year. I guess in a few years time it won't need any NCT anymore. Which isn't right in my opinion. Cars should never be exempt and certainly not when they did not pass any safety check before reaching the age of becoming exempt.

Just to be clear - I am not 100% this is the same car. A lot of water has flowed under and even more red wine has flowed through me in the last year ! I sometimes look out at my own cars and think I recognise them from somewhere !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This looks good. 2.0 Auto. Nice colour too. I don't think the seats are original.

2 years NCT. Taxed for the year as a bonus. €3,750

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-190/27375813

MTQwZjljNjM5ZmE2ZjdlNDUzNDJjYzlhY2E5MGU1NDML1Qf6jLizTR0qSBFgXEuAaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI2NTU4MjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Decent price for a clean looking 2CV with 18 months NCT. €6,000

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-2-cv-6/26702248

OGRkYzU2NWI5MGUyM2UwMjQ0ZTZkMTk2MTI3NTA2MWX-Bs_8q5uFAshlnxOeGHAGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjQzNjAyODh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I'd be thinking about putting up another €8,000 and get this instead of that Roller, could be cheaper in the long run (if the details check out). €56 tax is a dream on one of these. Pity the long reg number looks shlte, but they did their best with that plate.

1990 Bentley Turbo R, 08/21. €14,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-turbo-r-free-delivery-in-republic-of-irl/26765935

MTE5MjgwYjhhMTg4ZTUwNDIwMmZhNWRhZTE3NjE5OTT6n60Ncsu_A3tKal8QvnoFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI2MTczNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

OGFiZDhmODljNTU1Yzc4YmNmM2RhNjA0NDMzOGZiN2UcpJH8c1FuFiEv0eQlbQQZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI2MTczNDV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

^^^^ I love that - something really special

Judging by the number plate it came in very late last year or very recently

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

oceanman wrote: »
    a good many people with classics, especially expensive ones wouldnt trust putting them through the nct...cant say i blame them to be honest.

At my NCT test last August, the tester managed to break off the plastic trim on the door side of the driver's seat (the cover with some of the switches for the seat function. Really annoying. I can't see any way to fix it, as it looks like a plastic piece snapped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Yep.

Looks like a chauffer drive Princess left too long in a washing machine on a boil wash.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It was on the market while the rationing was still going and steel was at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

KevRossi wrote: »
    I'd be thinking about putting up another €8,000 and get this instead of that Roller, could be cheaper in the long run (if the details check out). €56 tax is a dream on one of these. Pity the long reg number looks shlte, but they did their best with that plate.

1990 Bentley Turbo R, 08/21. €14,950

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-turbo-r-free-delivery-in-republic-of-irl/26765935

MTE5MjgwYjhhMTg4ZTUwNDIwMmZhNWRhZTE3NjE5OTT6n60Ncsu_A3tKal8QvnoFaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI2MTczNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I know the owner of this car. He normally sells W126 and W124 Mercs, and his cars always present well and are detailed well.

This could only be better by finding out its a Nissan Micra underneath! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

That Bentley is really nice, but if you were considering buying it then you are better off just throwing 15 grand into the fire, it will be cheaper in the long run.

They are famously unreliable, and the price of parts, even used, are mental.

I can see the draw though. I have always fancied one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Tzardine wrote: »
    That Bentley is really nice, but if you were considering buying it then you are better off just throwing 15 grand into the fire, it will be cheaper in the long run.

They are famously unreliable, and the price of parts, even used, are mental.

I can see the draw though. I have always fancied one.

Particularly the turbo version.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I would love that, Triumph's attempt a a luxury small car, was a bit of a flop sales wise, very rare, and to me, interesting car now. Hard to buy a car now with all the travel restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Testacalda wrote: »
    I would love that, Triumph's attempt a a luxury small car, was a bit of a flop sales wise, very rare, and to me, interesting car now. Hard to buy a car now with all the travel restrictions

I can see that being used in some Netflix period piece. I'd love it but its very much of its time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

cml387 wrote: »
    I can see that being used in some Netflix period piece. I'd love it but its very much of its time.

I hope there aren't any hills... With the aerodynamics of a cathedral and the power of an MM Morris minor they're a leisurely drive at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

^^^^ I love that - something really special

Judging by the number plate it came in very late last year or very recently

The 120xxx plates go back as far as 2012

newmember? wrote: »
    The 120xxx plates go back as far as 2012

Rob imported a car last year and I think he might be inferring that it’s a recent import as the last 3 digits of the 120xxx are close to those on his own car.

A potential future classic. These are a very cool thing. (IMO).

Shame its an automatic, but it looks in great nick, appears to have been well maintained, and its small money at €2,750

ZjJmNGNlNjhjMTYxNGQyZTk0ZTdmYjYzYTYxNGVmMjQIBFMgXj1fRM4mhqx9J7WeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzI3MjI2OTV8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/pajero-junior-1-1-automatic/27383365

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I'm not totally up to speed but looks like a nice alternative to a jimny.

Peter T wrote: »
    I'm not totally up to speed but looks like a nice alternative to a jimny.

They never quite got the same cult following as the Jimny for some reason, but they are just as capable. And i think they look much cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Tzardine wrote: »
    A potential future classic. These are a very cool thing. (IMO).

Shame its an automatic, but it looks in great nick, appears to have been well maintained, and its small money at €2,750

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/pajero-junior-1-1-automatic/27383365

I could be mistaken but weren't all of them Auto seeing as they would mostly be imported from Japan? A great machine though all the same, a friend of mine had one for 5 years and she adored it. Never let her down and only needed the usual maintenance items. Price is good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's a lovely little yoke.

Miscreant wrote: »
    I could be mistaken but weren't all of them Auto seeing as they would mostly be imported from Japan?

Yes actually, I think you are right.

The Shogun Pinin had a manual, but it looks like the Pajero Mini were all autos.

• Advertisement

Advertisement