Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KevRossi wrote: »
    It's not as bad in real life. I had one in that colour in Germany for a few months, wasn't too keen on it at the beginning but it sort of grew on me.

I like the colour too, remember it from "real cars", it looks different than in the pictures

Nice find and, like my own W201 that I sold last year for a bit over the €3k mark, if you get a well sorted one, they are a joy to own, very relaxing drive, while still easily keeping up with today's traffic. Extremely well made to a standard we will never see again and utterly and totally reliable.

Very underrated classic and if you see what rubbish is posted here regularly for similar money you'd wonder why the hell these aren't worth more :pac:

I guess a steady supply of them from the UK, where there are thousands of them - >30 (but <40) year old have no special benefits over there - so not worth that much meant you could bring them in cheaply, I did so myself with a few of them. But that stream has now dried up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

kadman wrote: »
    NCT excuse with covid is BS, as we all know NCT is happening as usual

I got absolutely annihilated on here for saying that. I agree with you 100%

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I got absolutely annihilated on here for saying that. I agree with you 100%

Sorry to hear that, but I am way too grisly to take any notice of people trying to annihilate me for telling the truth.:P

Plus the fact the truth is you got one extension of 4 months on your NCT date, and thats it.

A good classic should have no fear of doing an NCT, its the cheapest recognizable document of a cars health, and whats not to like about that.:)

I got absolutely annihilated on here for saying that.

Not by me.

Unfortunately there are far too many classic car owners in Ireland who don't care about their safety or that of others and who couldn't bother getting their car NCTd

The €1500 fine and 5 penalty points and confiscation of cars really should be enforced on people who are taking the p1ss driving around for years with an untested car

| got plenty of grief on some forums for saying classics should have some form of
    testing on brakes and steering and tyres at the very least.

Its a bit strange really that you can have a 50 year old car on the road without any sort of
    inspection from anybody. And i make no apology to anyone for holding that viewpoint.

I've seen some cars at shows that should have been in a skip, and they were driven there:eek:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'd say people's issue with the NCT is some of the inconsistency applied and petty issues that lead to failures, and in some cases serviceable vehicles being scrapped. It is infuriating, a bit like referring inconsistencies in football matches.

Basic checks on brakes, steering and tyres should be acceptable to everyone, and is a good idea.

| got plenty of grief on some forums for saying classics should have some form of

Its a bit strange really that you can have a 50 year old car on the road without any sort of
    inspection from anybody. And i make no apology to anyone for holding that viewpoint.

I've seen some cars at shows that should have been in a skip, and they were driven there:eek:

Lord stop, some of the junk at those shows would make your blood run cold, not helped by filler merchant car restorers!! You'd be terrified driving the yoke to a test centre never mind getting it tested. Bikes and tractors were no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

a good many people with classics, especially expensive ones wouldnt trust putting them through the nct...cant say i blame them to be honest.

oceanman wrote: »
    a good many people with classics, especially expensive ones wouldnt trust putting them through the nct...cant say i blame them to be honest.

Rubbish absolute rubbish. I used to drive wedding cars from the 1920's to the early 60's and there was never a bother getting them tested one required the decelleromoter for the brake test which needed to be stated beforehand, it had a propshaft driven brake booster system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

With some cars I would have a problem handing the keys over to an NCT guy that would then lift the car the same way as ever regardless of where and if he finds the lifting points for my car. And if a damage to the sills or the floor is done you have no come back after unfortunately. Some people are happy with that, some are not. Those that are not are usually able to look after their cars, so they are in top condition anyway.

• Advertisement

Rubbish absolute rubbish. I used to drive wedding cars from the 1920's to the early 60's and there was never a bother getting them tested one required the decelleromoter for the brake test which needed to be stated beforehand, it had a propshaft driven brake booster system.
    each to their own i guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A neighbour dropped down a mk2 golf that needed a couple of bits, once it was on the lift you could see about 20 indentations underneath it where the tester was poking it for corrosion. Very excessive carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

PsychoPete wrote: »
    A neighbour dropped down a mk2 golf that needed a couple of bits, once it was on the lift you could see about 20 indentations underneath it where the tester was poking it for corrosion. Very excessive carry on

I’m not someone who really bothers with NCT’ing a classic, but on the few occasions that I have done this has been my experience of the test. They seem desperate to fail older stuff unless they’re immaculately presented cars.

Classic testing NCT with a rolling road to test the brakes and steering and tyres. No lift needed.Basic safety test.

Why you yourself would not even have to get out of your precious:p

PsychoPete wrote: »

Never heard of this, was he poking or hammering??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I’m not someone who really bothers with NCT’ing a classic, but on the few occasions that I have done this has been my experience of the test. They seem desperate to fail older stuff unless they’re immaculately presented cars.

For me when it comes to buying a car especially a classic, nct isn't that important. Nct isn't comprehensive enough to say if a car really is healthy or not, it gives you a fair idea but there can be so many potential issue not picked up. Just because a car has an nct doesn't mean it isn't a heap of sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Remember, motorcycles are not tested at all.

Not sure law on 3 wheeler cars

Never heard of this, was he poking or hammering??

A decent size screwdriver is the weapon of choice for poking at the North Point centre anyway

slipperyox wrote: »
    Remember, motorcycles are not tested at all.

Not sure law on 3 wheeler cars

3 wheelers, the likes of Reliants etc, are not tested.

A decent size screwdriver is the weapon of choice for poking at the North Point centre anyway

Whats your suggested method for checking for corrosion/

• Advertisement

Whats your suggested method for checking for corrosion/

No issue at all with their method, just saying that - in my experience - they can be very aggressive with the poking and prodding at my local centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Looking for a trace element of rust on brake pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

A very cheap Roller

Is there such a thing?

Out of NCT many years. Is that dealer gonna put it through the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

They seem desperate to fail older stuff unless they’re immaculately presented cars.

one of my cars failed on a loose battery (despite it passing with it like that multiple times before ) - which I fixed myself to what I thought was a reasonable standard

When it was being retested I saw him gritting his teeth and really having a go at it - the asshat shook it so violently he broke the negative cable connection to the bodywork. D*ckhead - there was no need for that

It had also failed first time on the lights aim being slightly off.
    it passed on the 2nd time, but I saw the prick go back and over it a few times I am sure trying to fail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am fairly sure I test drove that car in Greystones last year. At the time there was a crack in the exhaust manifold and am issue with the brakes but its a huge amount of car for the money.

Ah. I remember that now.

I wonder if any improvements have been made on it in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭boosabum

Say this today and seems reasonable for the condition

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-slc-450-235hp-/26557667?campaign=3[PHP][/PHP]

Advertisement