Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A max tax 15 year old diesel? With a short NCT? Looks nice, but that's virtually worthless / saleproof in this country...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you're going to exclude things based on tax I think you're going to exclude a lot of nice cars.
    You could dry store and declare off road for 6/9 months but if €1800 is a problem for you then perhaps classic car ownership is not for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Family member had a 97 W210 E300 TD Auto Avantgarde on monoblocks, literally have to give it away, for free. Not a euro was exchanged. Chaotic electricals.

OM606? Last of the great benz engines.

ELM327 wrote: »
    if €1800 is a problem for you then perhaps classic car ownership is not for you!

I've paid max tax for many years on several cars. All V8 petrols though.

There's no market for that car for that price here. Maybe export to the UK...

• Advertisement

There is a market for it... however at least one of the "market" bought an e60 instead! I was going to get that merc except the e60 came online in budget the day before I was planning to call the guy

There is a market for it..

You were it. You were the market. You bought another car, so the market is now gone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Seller of that W211 also has this beaut for sale

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-mercedes-e320-v656-950-milesnew-nct-03-20/21168773

NjVjYzFlOGI2OGE4YWY2NWNmYWE0ODM4Y2NiNjE1MTPKZKFrsUKoFkTf3D-cfp5_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTkzMTk3NDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner 320 V6 with a years test and lovely looking leather for €999

Saw that, love it, if I had room to store it I'd be all over it! So cheap, that's guaranteed to go up in value. And even if it doesnt sure what's €750 in the grand scheme of car ownership

Like the reg too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you're going to exclude things based on tax I think you're going to exclude a lot of nice cars.
    That's been the way for many years now. Celtic Tiger running costs on cars worth less than their annual tax bill. Even if you were inclined to tax it most people wouldn't even get an insurance quote without some sort or classic insurance history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dades wrote: »
    That's been the way for many years now. Celtic Tiger running costs on cars worth less than their annual tax bill. Even if you were inclined to tax it most people wouldn't even get an insurance quote without some sort or classic insurance history.

Or working for an insurance company...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Not a bit. I like that...even though I wouldn't a fan of the body kit it's far from the worst.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-300se-w126-with-video/21226725

MTE1MzgyNjJlNmRkOGQ3NjliYWExMTIxYjk1MTZhZTWgX7iKtu0q5iLxBwVUFGXsaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTk3ODI3NTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Good price for a seemingly well sorted '126 IMO. Refreshingly nice ad too

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1987-volvo-760-gle/21276740

OTU1MjM1ZGEyNjAxZmYyYzY1OWM5MDVhY2ExNjVjNDaESEZjQ9fHtz_NVftX5XiXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjAxODg5MjR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Nice looking 760 GLE with 18 months test and cheap tax, and look at those armchairs for seats! Lovely, and a good buy IMO at around €3k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1987-volvo-760-gle/21276740

Nice looking 760 GLE with 18 months test and cheap tax, and look at those armchairs for seats! Lovely, and a good buy IMO at around €3k

Nearly worth it alone for the graphic equalizer. :D

Jayzus, I remember when they were the absolute dogs bollyx. I hitched a lift once from Sligo to Carrick on Shannon in a Renault 25, don't think I took my eyes off the stereo for one minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Big Nasty wrote: »

I'm no expert but those seats don't look right.

Big Nasty wrote: »

Twill e €10k now next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

pawdee wrote: »
    I'm no expert but those seats don't look right.

They're not original, but that would be the last thing I'd be worried about. If it's in good condition the it rivals the Rolls that was put up here a couple of weeks ago for the bargain of the year. Can't see too much sign of rust which is the real killer financially on these.

• Advertisement

Seems very cheap, but could be completely rotten underneath, although it doesn't look like it. Seller on DD for 10 years, which does inspire a bit of confidence. Might be worth a punt!

Seats are not OEM. They look like early '00 paddy spec BMW seats to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Seats are not OEM. They look like early '00 paddy spec BMW seats to me.

I thought they looked like MX5 seats !

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

welder wrote: »
    I thought they looked like MX5 seats !

I think you're spot on. Mk 1 MX5 :)

What a ridiculous seat to put in a benz.
    I shudder to think what else has been done to that poor car under the surface if the owner deems mx5 seats suitable!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I seem to recall a dodgy ad for a red 107 posted here before.

Can't really say if it's a bargain with only this description.
    Mercedes 450sl 1973

It might not even have an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/ford-popular/20387548

This Popular has been on Dondeal on and off for a good while, its getting cheaper.

They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like the side valve Fords. I love its shabby patina, and that fact that it isn't as junky as it looks, plus the AI reg. They are mechanically simple.

Must get a ticket for the GAA lotto tonight, that should do it nicely!

(I just thought about how the meaning of the initials AI have changed in recent years :rolleyes:)

Renault 4 real lenses on that Ford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »
    Seems very cheap, but could be completely rotten underneath, although it doesn't look like it.

The best place to look for rust in one of these is under the back seat and the front bulkhead in addition to the usual places. This car is priced as it is for a reason

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »
    This car is priced as it is for a reason

You're probably right, but the price is not always a reflection of the value of a car. Could be a decent car that is sold far too cheaply. Like that Rolls-Royce the other day. Exception rather than the rule though.

Advertisement