Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tirchonaill86

robindch wrote: »
    Mod:

Right, gentlefolks, please step away from your keyboards for a few minutes.

I'm sure it's another lovely morning in Dublin so pop outside and have a cappuccino + croissant and come back and enjoy the debate.

Ah when you've finished your croissant and capucinno could you please address my complaint? Thank you. I was carded yesterday for calling a person who was making foolish comments a fool. Whereas the most sacred part of my faith, my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ which i hold very dear in my heart was mocked and ridiculed openly on this forum. This surely was offensive and inflammatory to - a practicing and proud catholic. This was a far greater insult than calling someone a fool surely? This was coming from a person who was worried about the welfare of her children, yet was giving very bad example by openly mocking another persons faith beyond all joking manner. I would be grateful if this person would be held accountable for this gross violation of charter rules. Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

That dead man made of wood....you will beg him one day for his mercy.

Lets assume we will. Who do you think he will be more merciful to?
    1) Those who get on with their day without constantly bothering him or his dad for intervention.
    or,
    2) Those who make and worship wooden effigies of that time we nailed him to a piece of wood and celebrate that event each year with chocolate eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ah when you've finished your croissant and capucinno could you please address my complaint? Thank you. I was carded yesterday for calling a person who was making foolish comments a fool. Whereas the most sacred part of my faith, my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ which i hold very dear in my heart was mocked and ridiculed openly on this forum. This surely was offensive and inflammatory to - a practicing and proud catholic. This was a far greater insult than calling someone a fool surely? This was coming from a person who was worried about the welfare of her children, yet was giving very bad example by openly mocking another persons faith beyond all joking manner. I would be grateful if this person would be held accountable for this gross violation of charter rules. Bless.
    I find some of the grammar here offensive in my worship of croissants (not a biscuit, discuss?) but I prefer lattes. Chillax with a pizza. You can even have pineapple on it. We're very inclusive here. We won't even make you stare at a toture device with a dying person on it made out of wood.

lazygal wrote: »
    I find some of the grammar here offensive in my worship of croissants (not a biscuit, discuss?) but I prefer lattes. Chillax with a pizza. You can even have pineapple on it. We're very inclusive here. We won't even make you stare at a toture device with a dying person on it made out of wood.

I can't believe this. You just did it again!!! OMG....This is unbelievable!!!Im come onto this forum, i share my views and my faith is openly ridiculed and mocked? This is absurd. Reported for repeated religious slurs and deeply offensive and inflammatory remarks.

Absolam wrote: »
    For someone who never, and still hasn't, answered your questions, I seem to have been very busy answering your questions. How many of mine would you say you've answered?

You mean those questions you asked as a deflection of the questions I continued asking after those you quoted? The questions you quoted were responded to, but not answered, hence I continued to ask questions to try and drag out all the information required.
    Of course you can; to be a Catholic you need only fulfil the conditions of being Catholic set by the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church doesn't need to distinguish itself from Protestantism or Anglicanism; those religions seek to distinguish themselves from Catholicism (hence the coining of the term Roman Catholicism by the Anglicans in order to distinguish their catholicism from the established Church's).

So now the RCC use the label "Catholic" to suit the Anglican Church? Do you listen to yourself?
    Right... would it be fair to say you can't provide an example of that either? And saying "you're doing it, not me" is not really a refutation of the fact that I've pointed out exactly where you've been trying to move the goalposts.

The last paragraph of your previous post to me was you listing out where you have tried to move the goalposts by pretending there are distinctions between being a catholic, being a Catholic and being in the RCC. They are on in the same.

• Advertisement

I can't believe this. You just did it again!!! OMG....This is unbelievable!!!Im come onto this forum, i share my views and my faith is openly ridiculed and mocked? This is absurd. Reported for repeated religious slurs and deeply offensive and inflammatory remarks.

Was it the pineapple that did it? Did Jesus say they weren't allowed? :confused:

Lets assume we will. Who do you think he will be more merciful to?
    1) Those who get on with their day without constantly bothering him or his dad for intervention.
    or,
    2) Those who make and worship wooden effigies of that time we nailed him to a piece of wood and celebrate that event each year with chocolate eggs?

The cross is only a symbol my friend. Its about much more than that. And i don't constantly bother the Lord....i try to give more than i receive in my life. That is a true Christian. And could you please tell me what is wrong with chocolate eggs. Its just a way of saying thank you i guess.

Was it the pineapple that did it? Did Jesus say they weren't allowed? :confused:

No pineapples are an allowed food according to the Old testament. Best to stay away from swine and scavengers though. These are unclean foods which will be unhealthy for you in the long term. Pineapple full of key enzymes for digestion...another wonderful creation of our maker.

No pineapples are an allowed food according to the Old testament. Best to stay away from swine and scavengers though. These are unclean foods which will be unhealthy for you in the long term. Pineapple full of key enzymes for digestion...another wonderful creation of our maker.
    Why would our maker create swine and scavengers then? :confused:

Did he make croissants too?

My Ma's got her dogs trained to run into the kitchen and get their treats upon hearing the Angelus. What will she have to do next? Teach them to read a clock?

• Advertisement

As waste disposal units. And to play parts in movies and wildlife programmes silly. i think you know the answer to the next one. But it really is hard to beat the fresh smell of croissants in the morning isn't it? Lovely with homemade nutella and little bit of honey. You are making me so hungry and I'm on day 22 of my fast. Thanks a lot! Always remember to practice self control, one of the fruits of the holy spirit. Not easy in todays world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I sense an atheist invasion here? Listen I'm not here to spread hate. I come in peace.

Well then, start by stopping telling us to get the **** out of our own country just because we don't slavishly follow you're every dictate.

I'd swear you're as bad as Alan Shatter for demonising those ye don't agree with, but with him the obsession is fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whereas the most sacred part of my faith, my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ which i hold very dear in my heart was mocked and ridiculed openly on this forum. This surely was offensive and inflammatory to - a practicing and proud catholic.
    Sure we know thats a load of crap now come on lad ....sungod haha lol you serious? You are off your head my friend. Lay off the weed brother!

Hmmmm..

The only non-hypocritical position is atheism. There are thousands of gods and not one has a shred of evidence, yet theists constantly deride (or worse) followers of the 'wrong' one. "You couldn't make it up" - but someone did!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Pineapple & swine :pac: :nom: :nom: :nom: :nom:

Preferably stir fried with a little teriyaki sauce, which I believe was very popular in the old testament times as was sushi and meringues.

---

Also doesn't it say something about how if you deep fry stuff in batter then it's fine, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

You're the one who said that the RCC allows people to label themselves regardless of actual belief.
    No, I said the Catholic Church would agree they're Catholics simply because they are. They don't need to lie, they don't need to worry about what you imagine it will cost them; if the people satisfy their criteria for being Catholics, they can simply agree that they are. And since they do satisfy the criteria, the Church has no need to worry about costs at all.... quite a different assertion from the RCC have to assure people they can use the label even though it doesn't match.
    So.. I don't think you can demonstrate that the RCC does what you claim.
    Except the label doesn't match, hence you have been arguing the label can be used based on arbitrary self-identification rather than the actual contents.
    No, you just don't think it matches (or really, don't think it should). Catholics say it matches, and the Catholic Church says it matches. So it matches.
    Except we have already seen, thanks to the various creeds and thanks to oldrnwisr post that without also believing what the church dictates, the label of catholic is meaningless and can't apply.
    Simply untrue. You've yet to show a reason for imagining that the Creeds (interesting shift from the Nicene Creed to the Creeds; goalposts again?) have anything to do with the requirements for being Catholic, never mind what requirements would exclude a Catholic from being Catholic if not fulfilled and Oldrnwisr has also agreed that from the Catholic Church's point of view, a person whose continuing mental state is not entirely compatible with current doctrine and dogma is still Catholic.
    The stalling is in crap like this. It's clear what I'm refering to in oldrnwsrs post, but here you trying to stall the thread by dragging us back to semantattack* a post you already tried to semantattack with anothe poster.
    It's clear you're referring to Oldrnwisrs post; it's also clear that you know the post doesn't contain any part of Catholic doctrine which would prohibit any person baptised in the Catholic Church from being Catholic, and you're now literally making stuff up in order to try and get yourself out of the position you put yourself in. I'm afraid I can't agree that calling you out on unfounded assertions is stalling, sorry.
    *a word I just made up to describe your posting style, where you stall discussion by inneccessantly and semantically over analysing everything, strawman, ask redundant questions, just everything and anything to avoid getting to the point.
    When you say the point... which ones am I avoiding getting to exactly?
    The ones you keep trying to change, or the ones you claim exist but can't quote?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

SpaceTime wrote: »

on a pizza, yes or no?

I'll go with: YES

You mean those questions you asked as a deflection of the questions I continued asking after those you quoted? The questions you quoted were responded to, but not answered, hence I continued to ask questions to try and drag out all the information required.
    Well, let's see. Again.
    You asked for an actual papal decree or official vatican document of what the catholic church says "catholic" means.
    I provided an answer; including a link to an official vatican document which specifically includes the Catholic Church's answer to the question "What does Catholic mean?".
    The answer is a link to an Vatican document of what the Catholic Church says Catholic means. Can you specify in what way my answer was a deflection? Or a response that's not an answer? What further information was 'required', and why?
    You asked "Whose faith is the Nicene creed professing then?"
    I answered "It is a profession of the Christian faith. Do you think that should make a difference to whether a Catholic should need to accept it, if the Catholic Church doesn't say a Catholic needs to?"
    The answer clearly states whose faith it is a profession of. How is that a deflection? Or a response that's not an answer? What further information was 'required', and why?
    So now the RCC use the label "Catholic" to suit the Anglican Church? Do you listen to yourself?
    Well, I can certainly read what I wrote. I didn't write that the RCC uses the label Catholic suit the Anglican Church. You can tell by the fact that it's not in what you quoted. What I wrote was "The Catholic Church doesn't need to distinguish itself from Protestantism or Anglicanism; those religions seek to distinguish themselves from Catholicism (hence the coining of the term Roman Catholicism by the Anglicans in order to distinguish their catholicism from the established Church's).".
    The last paragraph of your previous post to me was you listing out where you have tried to move the goalposts by pretending there are distinctions between being a catholic, being a Catholic and being in the RCC. They are on in the same.
    I notice you're not quoting the last paragraph of my previous post to you. I think it's probably fair to say that's because nowhere in that paragraph do I try to move goalposts by pretending there are distinctions between being a catholic, being a Catholic and being in the RCC, don't you? I'll quote it for you to help you decide:
    Right... would it be fair to say you can't provide an example of that either? And saying "you're doing it, not me" is not really a refutation of the fact that I've pointed out exactly where you've been trying to move the goalposts.
    Maybe it wasn't that one, maybe it was the one before?
    Nope, just to point out one part of Catholic doctrine in Oldrnwisrs post that prohibits any person baptised in the Catholic Church from being Catholic. I understand you think that asking you to prove what you say is true is stalling the thread, but if there's a big chunk that's full of them it ought not to take long. Don't forget to include the bit where it says they're prohibited from being Catholics though.
    Or maybe the one before that?
    You see you haven't pointed out even one piece of Catholic doctrine in Oldrnwisrs post that prohibits any person baptised in the Catholic Church from being Catholic. Would you like to try again?
    Maybe this one then....
    It's moving the goalposts by: asking what it takes to be a part of the Catholic Church, what a catholic is supposed to be, then when engaged on the subject changing the question to what a catholic is supposed to be, then when engaged changing the question to what Catholics are supposed to believe. I did say that. What a Catholic is supposed to believe, is not the same as what a Catholic is required to believe in order to be a Catholic. I think I alluded to that when were discussing you interchanging the Catechism, the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed, remember?
    That at least seems to be in the ballpark, but still, evidently not what you said I said. Want to try again?

In the meantime we can get back to where we were (don't want to stall the discussion, eh?); saying "you're doing it, not me" is not really a refutation of the fact that I've pointed out exactly where you've been trying to move the goalposts. To aid your memory, you've tried to shift the goalposts to what Catholics are supposed to believe, from what a catholic is supposed to be, after trying to shift them from what it takes to be a part of the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MOD

NOBODY wants to read you said, he said, no you said, no I said, no he said, no you then said, that wasn't what you said, I said, that wasn't what I said, that's what you said, no I didn't, yes you did, no I said, no you said,

All with quotes and links.

It's not that difficult to post responding to people's posts without resorting to unrealistic levels of words pedantry. Humans, that's both of ye, make mistakes. What you say isn't always what you mean and what they say isn't always what they meant. Somewhere along the forensic analysis of a flower you lose the flower. You guys haven't been exchanging an idea or discussing anything in a constructive manner with quite some time. You might as well both be speaking two different fictional languages.

Well then, start by stopping telling us to get the **** out of our own country just because we don't slavishly follow you're every dictate.

I'd swear you're as bad as Alan Shatter for demonising those ye don't agree with, but with him the obsession is fascism.

Ah come on now I'm not as bad as shatter. Im not buying a bulldozer anytime soon now in fairness? Why don't you atheist folk just create a god to hell with it...? You are missing out im telling ya yeah? Did you guys ever believe or at what point in your lives did you start to question everything? At least if i can't beat yis i may as well try to understand yis...haha just joking!! I do apologise if i insinuated that you should leave the country immediately, it honestly wasn't my hearts intention. And space-time stop it you really are making me hungry now ok...?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,245 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Whereas the most sacred part of my faith, my Lord and saviour Jesus Christ which i hold very dear in my heart was mocked and ridiculed openly on this forum.

Isn't holibabijebus a 'who', as opposed to a 'which'. Why would you get this most sacred part of your faith wrong? Seems kinda disrespectful to me, if you don't mind my saying.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    MOD

NOBODY wants to read you said, he said, no you said, no I said, no he said, no you then said, that wasn't what you said, I said, that wasn't what I said, that's what you said, no I didn't, yes you did, no I said, no you said,

All with quotes and links.

It's not that difficult to post responding to people's posts without resorting to unrealistic levels of words pedantry. Humans, that's both of ye, make mistakes. What you say isn't always what you mean and what they say isn't always what they meant. Somewhere along the forensic analysis of a flower you lose the flower. You guys haven't been exchanging an idea or discussing anything in a constructive manner with quite some time. You might as well both be speaking two different fictional languages.

I'm more than happy to stick to the subjects in hand, but I don't pretend to any contrition for pointing out when a post at best misrepresents and at worst lies about what was previously posted.

In the interests of brevity, if not clarity, I'll try to use the report function for deliberately misleading posts instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SpaceTime wrote: »

70s retro stylee gammon steak with butter and brown sugar on top, done under the grill, the butter and sugar form a toffee, garnish with a little pepper (the almost tasteless stuff you used to get on the table beside the salt, NOT any of that foreign freshly ground rubbish) and serve.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

70s retro stylee gammon steak with butter and brown sugar on top, done under the grill, the butter and sugar form a toffee, garnish with a little pepper (the almost tasteless stuff you used to get on the table beside the salt, NOT any of that foreign freshly ground rubbish) and serve.

What about the scavengers though?
    I'm looking for a good recipe, preferably involving pineapple, croissants and Nutella...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fresh pineapple has its place in certain deserts and one or two tasty cocktails but not on pizza or pork, and pork most certainly has no place on pizza unless in some kind of salami / sausage / chorizo type format. Nutella...... ....don't even go there, I can't think of any good reason to take it off the supermarket shelf.

As for pineapple and gammon, what next, Birds Angel delight!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jaysus, no Nutella pancakes?! You're missing out big time!

For that Homer Simpson touch - sprinkle with bacon bits (swine) and powdered sugar.

Whipped cream optional

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I make them for the kids, but I'd be more a lemon and sugar man myself. Although to go full circle, youngest often gets the pancake, smears it with passata, adds some mozzeralla, a couple of really thinly sliced bits of chorizo, and puts it under the grill for ultra-thin breakfast pizza. Quite tasty as it goes. But not pineapple on a pizza, no siree, I don't mind kissin' but I won't do that... ;)

Whatever about pineapple on a pizza, Nutella has no business being there! -- Someone recently served me up a raspberry and nutella pizza...

If there was ever proof there is no god, that's it!

EDIT: Didn't see Turtwigs post on previous page. I'm happy to stop responding to Absolom.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but there are substantial T&Cs there for catholic church membership and I certainly wouldn't get back in!

They're just slow to throw people out because they think they can change you, it's a bit like a bad marriage where one partner keeps thinking they can 'fix' the other even though they don't agree on anything!

Advertisement